Overclock.net banner
4081 - 4100 of 4489 Posts

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
Look
No idea why we're even discussing if memory bandwith matters or not.

If we understand how fundamentally GPUs work and the interaction between core clocks and memory, you realize that having fast memory is just as important as having a fast core. Core feeds the memory, if you have a bottleneck on the memory side, it doesn't matter how fast your core goes, it will have to wait.

Looking at Time Spy and more importantly, TSE and FSE (which are higher resolution benchmarks) the only difference between LC Ref and any other 6900XT on the market is the higher binned memory chips, nothing else...Heck, the PCB on the reference LC is probably just as basic as the reference PCB besides the die... Having 18 Gbps chips makes an enormous difference when you saturate the pipeline, you can see the cards flying with even lower clocks because you're taking full advantage of all that memory speed.

The same observations can be seen between CPU and RAM so it's not like this is new.
enormous, I would agree if there was no IC.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Should I send this card back or just live with the broken soldier joint?
It can be repaired. A small piece has come off the capacitor, but should still be possible to get a good mount. If that's the only thing wrong with it and you have a soldering iron or know someone who does, I'd say repair it.
Does it run OK even with the broken capacitor ?

·
Registered
48 Posts
It can be repaired. A small piece has come off the capacitor, but should still be possible to get a good mount. If that's the only thing wrong with it and you have a soldering iron or know someone who does, I'd say repair it.
Does it run OK even with the broken capacitor ?
Yes that's the thing it runs just fine games just like my other 6900xt

·
Registered
150 Posts
Can some someone give me some reference for the possible best settings for the sapphire 6900 xt ee toxic for core en mem in radeonsettings. Is trixx, toxic nercesary to unlock some things?
Any other important things, disable powesaving with mpt and msi ab etc

Thanks in advance :)

·
Registered
113 Posts
I bought this one: aliexpress.com/item/32223454070.html and
those for the Mem cooling: aliexpress.com/item/4000670979331.html

but just Save you the trouble and get an Preblocked one like the Liquid Devil.

on another note, i was able to flash the XTXH LC AMD Bios on my card and now my mem speed can go up to 2370 Mhz!!!
wich set me on the NR1 Spot of TSE in my Hardware config and that with a low CPU Score:

View attachment 2517686
Can you share the LC bios you are using and the procedure?

·
PC Evangelist
47,793 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: kratosatlante

·
Registered
236 Posts
Just a heads up. I tried flashing the LC vbios in Linux on my 6900 XT Red Devil Ultimate. It flashed successfully, but my system would not post with it. I would only try flashing it if you're familiar with an external flashing tool or you have a dual bios switch. Luckily I had a dual bios switch so all I had to do was flip my switch, boot back into Linux, and then flip the switch back to the incompatible vbios before flashing my backup.

·
Registered
390 Posts
Hmm well 6900XT Waterforce on stock settings posted a respectable 20639 in TimeSpy (still on 3900X CPU). Seems to stay fairly cool with GPU temp reading not exceeding 50C, GPU Hotspot peaking at 73C, and Memory Junction 46C

Unfortunately all is not well again... another TDR / Crash Defender on the app that was causing my 5700XT to do the same (though it took much longer). Anyone know if there is a way to open a ticket directly to AMD for driver related issues? The "Bug Report Tool" does nothing, I have submitted dozens of reports without anything being done.

Edit Also I apparently have a special 6900XT that has 49gb of RAM as that is what AMD ADL is reporting to HWInfo64 for "GPU Memory Usage" at the time for the driver crash.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
I got it that way from shipping. The place I got it from will take it back. Pay for shipping but they are sold out.
so its mishandling from the seller..damn..if you are paying for the return, it kinda sounds like a ripoff since it won't get replaced any sooner, or they'd just get away with soldering it themselves..

·
Registered
786 Posts
Hmm well 6900XT Waterforce on stock settings posted a respectable 20639 in TimeSpy (still on 3900X CPU). Seems to stay fairly cool with GPU temp reading not exceeding 50C, GPU Hotspot peaking at 73C, and Memory Junction 46C

Unfortunately all is not well again... another TDR / Crash Defender on the app that was causing my 5700XT to do the same (though it took much longer). Anyone know if there is a way to open a ticket directly to AMD for driver related issues? The "Bug Report Tool" does nothing, I have submitted dozens of reports without anything being done.

Edit Also I apparently have a special 6900XT that has 49gb of RAM as that is what AMD ADL is reporting to HWInfo64 for "GPU Memory Usage" at the time for the driver crash.
I suspect you have a local system issue to be honest.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I suspect you have a local system issue to be honest.
Pretty much 100% AMD driver issue... I've replaced motherboard, processor, PSU, memory and now GPU (only thing I haven't replaced are NVME drives), same issue always occurs. Swapping 1080Ti in the same system and issue goes away immediately, app does not crash even when running for weeks at a time.

Edit I've also tested with a different monitor.

4081 - 4100 of 4489 Posts