Overclock.net banner
7061 - 7080 of 7233 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks. Did you face any issue with bios update or did it go smoothly?
It is actually extreme card but not sure if air extreme or liquid... Had no issues at all, just went into usb bootable ubuntu and run force flash. Went smooth as butter. But then once you go back to windows, gpu stays in "safe mode" at 500 mhz only. Some of the settings for SoC makes this happening. So I just loaded stock bios from my gpu into MPT and rebooted and then it was all fine and you can bench with ram up to 2480 mhz. But ofc without fast timing.

Also I set the switch to silent bios and flash that one, tested it, switching back to pos 1 boots back on stock gpu as it was.

·
Invalid Media
6,438 Posts
It is actually extreme card but not sure if air extreme or liquid... Had no issues at all, just went into usb bootable ubuntu and run force flash. Went smooth as butter. But then once you go back to windows, gpu stays in "safe mode" at 500 mhz only. Some of the settings for SoC makes this happening. So I just loaded stock bios from my gpu and rebooted and then it was all fine and you can bench with ram up to 2480 mhz. But ofc without fast timing.

Also I set the switch to silent bios and flash that one, tested it, switching back to pos 1 boots back on stock gpu as it was.
Thanks - that sounds extremely interesting :D ! I' have to find the Gigabyte 6950 Gaming OC bios (checked yesterday at TPU for both verified, unverified) and try that out...the 6900XT also has dual bios and 3x8 pin...may be I get to stop complaining about the 2150 VRAM lock...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Thanks - that sounds extremely interesting :D ! I' have to find the Gigabyte 6950 Gaming OC bios (checked yesterday at TPU for both verified, unverified) and try that out...the 6900XT also has dual bios and 3x8 pin...may be I get to stop complaining about the 2150 VRAM lock...
Honestly, not worth the hassle. It looks like they just loosen the timings to get higher clocks which ends up the same thing in the end. Probably benefits somewhere and loses somewhere but in the end, there's no much improvement. I am more mad about timespy result as I can't get it to 25k graphic score and I guess temperature is my issue but there's not much more I can do...

·
Invalid Media
6,438 Posts
Honestly, not worth the hassle. It looks like they just loosen the timings to get higher clocks which ends up the same thing in the end. Probably benefits somewhere and loses somewhere but in the end, there's no much improvement. I am more mad about timespy result as I can't get it to 25k graphic score and I guess temperature is my issue but there's not much more I can do...
...I would think that the 18 GBs VRAM has slower base timings; it probably will come down to the individual VRAM on a specific card and also cooling. With dual vbios, worth a shot anyways.

·
Registered
119 Posts
So I flashed my 6900XT Toxic EE with 6950XT Toxic LE and then I had to load my original stock bios into MPT and pretty much everything works as before but now I can overclock memory to almost 2500 MHz. However, benchmarks did not improve by much. I guess 2100 with tight latency still scores almost the same.
Maybe there's a sweet spot with the VRAM.
Mine is at 2100MHz and FT. If I try to go to 2150MHz and FT I actualy score lower on some benchmarks.

·
Registered
251 Posts
It is actually extreme card but not sure if air extreme or liquid... Had no issues at all, just went into usb bootable ubuntu and run force flash. Went smooth as butter. But then once you go back to windows, gpu stays in "safe mode" at 500 mhz only. Some of the settings for SoC makes this happening. So I just loaded stock bios from my gpu and rebooted and then it was all fine and you can bench with ram up to 2480 mhz. But ofc without fast timing.

Nice. I tried that as well but switched back to silent bios when I saw GPU causing the 500MHz issue.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nice. I tried that as well but switched back to silent bios when I saw GPU causing the 500MHz issue.
This actually happens from a few parameters regarding SoC in MPT. The ones that are up from 58 to 62. But literally just load your old bios on MPT and then adjust to whatever suits you. I'd say then the only difference is probably in memory timings...

·
Invalid Media
6,438 Posts
...it really is just about having at least the opportunity to check higher VRAM frequencies > 2150. As mentioned, I figure the timings are slower w/ the 6950XT/18 G VRAM vbios; still, in my tests on my 6900XT card, 2150 + FT (~ 2140 per HWInfo) consistently produced the best scores, indicating that there's some potential headroom.

·
Registered
119 Posts
...it really is just about having at least the opportunity to check higher VRAM frequencies > 2150. As mentioned, I figure the timings are slower w/ the 6950XT/18 G VRAM vbios; still, in my tests on my 6900XT card, 2150 + FT (~ 2140 per HWInfo) consistently produced the best scores, indicating that there's some potential headroom.
I'm sure I'd need to dive into MPT to exercise my card more but I'm happy with what I've got, for now. ;)

·
Registered
376 Posts
Now I've got a nice variety of GPUs, I thought I'd test Warzone, 1080P, lowest possible settings, but particle effects high, bullet impacts enabled, cache sun/shadows on.

5800X3D
3800CL14
AMD Software Preview Driver May 2022
Nvidia 512.59
Warzone training area, spawn and don't move, wait 15 seconds and take screenshot (if anyone wants to compare performance)

6750XT Red Devil (overlay is wrong, it is a 6750 XT)
View attachment 2560324

6900 XTXH Toxic Extreme
View attachment 2560325

3090 Founders Edition
View attachment 2560326

Thanks to the 5800X3D, no GPU is majorly bottlenecked here and GPU utilisation is 95% or so across the board. My 3090 overclock can perhaps go further as COD does not draw much power, still dialling it in. 1440P and 2160P results to follow.
Nice! I'm picking up a 5800X3D in a few days. I'm sick of being CPU bottlenecked in Death Stranding DC.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I tried flashing the 6950 XT vbios to my 6900 XTX-H Red Devil. It boots up, but I'm having weird issues. It probably just comes down to this freaking Dark Hero motherboard. I can get the full memory bandwidth of the 6950 XT, BUT Smart Access Memory doesn't work. I believe this is because my motherboard forces CSM to be enabled when this vbios is enabled. I only get video signal in Windows. Can't access my uefi settings because I get error code D6, so I can't just disable CSM and enable SAM.

@zwer54
Were you able to get smart access memory working?

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
I took a chance since the card has dual bios.

Yes

Could be. Now I don't know whether to RMA it or not. Someone from Sapphire's local service center told me that it could be 2 and half months before I get a replacement, or they could send me back the same card again.
The card won't even do 2800Mhz even with 1.287 volts. Truly a shi*ty situation.
Show Sapphire a screenshot of 109c hotspot temp should be enough to get their attention. Ask what the quickest option is for resolution and evaluate from there. Maybe you can use the card on lower PL until they get a replacement then you can swap it out same day or something. Or sell it.

I just replaced the thermal paste on mine but those pricks apparently void your warranty for it. Yeah some places have laws against void warranty stickers although I think you still need to spend your money to sue them for it which...
Forehead Chin Smile Vertebrate Mouth

• Rep+
Reactions: LtMatt

·
Registered
251 Posts
Show Sapphire a screenshot of 109c hotspot temp should be enough to get their attention.
But that was with PowerColor bios. They are asking for GPUz logs with 3d load. If I provide them with logs for that, they will instantly know something is wrong since shutdown temps for Sapphire Toxic EE bios is 103C.

Ask what the quickest option is for resolution and evaluate from there. Maybe you can use the card on lower PL until they get a replacement then you can swap it out same day or something. Or sell it.
1.I have sent them a reply with GPU z logs showing 96 within few seconds at max fan speed. I told them that I shutdown the PC to prevent damage. Haven't heard a response from them.
2. About the same day replacement, not happening.
3. Selling it: I have already posted an off hand sales listing but there is not great demand for AMD cards where I live. If it does sell it would be at 30% loss. That's a lot of money for ~ 2 months of usage.

I just replaced the thermal paste on mine but those pricks apparently void your warranty for it. Yeah some places have laws against void warranty stickers although I think you still need to spend your money to sue them for it which...
View attachment 2560494
Exactly, Already have a petition against MSI which I have to file in court.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wow, this is a long thread. I finally upgraded GPUs to the 6900 XT (XTXH) of course days before the 6950 XT launch, because why not, similar price. Trying to secure my old place on the Superposition leaderboards for water at least. I doubt I'll ever get into LN2. Currently at 18346 on 4k optimized. But relatively "low" clocks at 2700/2100 1175mv. Also my RAM has always been weird even though its sold as 3800CL14 I could never get it stable really, so running at 1700 FCLK and horrible timings like 24 lol. It's a new 5800X3D installed so I'll hopefully fix it up soon.

Onto Time Spy again and see if I can break 30k finally

·
Registered
49 Posts
I figured it was the kryonaut. The last time I replaced it on the 6900xt. I noticed the paste was so hard and crusty that I was able to remove the paste with one swipe but thought maybe I got a bad batch but now my hotspot is high again . Going to try the gelid extreme. Heard good things
Ur right below me in superposition for 6900s. I can't get any higher with my 5950 which leads me to believe that all core clocks give better score than single. 5800 was running all core 4825 with boost going to 4950. My 5950 all core is 47 with boost at 5.1 and I can't even come close to my old score

Attachments

·
Registered
101 Posts
Show Sapphire a screenshot of 109c hotspot temp should be enough to get their attention. Ask what the quickest option is for resolution and evaluate from there. Maybe you can use the card on lower PL until they get a replacement then you can swap it out same day or something. Or sell it.

View attachment 2560494
I did all the things you said 1 month ago. And they didnt even attend to change my thermal paste :D. They said 95c hotspot is typical. And when i say Why wouldnt i paste myself they replied with we are gonna block the warranty XDDDDDDDD

sapphire sux

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

·
Registered
49 Posts
I did all the things you said 1 month ago. And they didnt even attend to change my thermal paste :D. They said 95c hotspot is typical. And when i say Why wouldnt i paste myself they replied with we are gonna block the warranty XDDDDDDDD

View attachment 2560530
That's crazy. This is why I purchase my cards from microcenter. They don't punish you for taking your card apart.

·
Registered
251 Posts

sapphire sux

View attachment 2560530
Well that sucks. I can bypass them and submit for RMA directly to the local service center but don't know whether they would just send me the same card back after waiting for 2 or more months or a different one. Never going for Sapphire again unless there is no other option. Crap product and crap service.

7061 - 7080 of 7233 Posts