Overclock.net banner

1501 - 1520 of 1621 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I don't see that as a problem ... my 6900XT max was around 20970 on time spy but usually it’s around 20700 - 20850 and that's not bad for a stock card on a stock power envelope. Many people here don’t bench at stock. They increase TDC and so on.
That’s a fantastic score. Is that with a Red Devil?

I had 19030 in TS stock speed and nothing touched. I got up to 20300 at 2620mhz/2100mhz and 300W/320TDC +15%, which is how I use it daily to keep thermals down. With 340W/360TDC + 15% I got up to 20700, but clocks won’t go higher than 2620mhz. So clock speeds stay the same with 281W and 360W (the highest I tested but it became hot and unstable). Games are stable at 2700mhz even without vsync and at 4K, but temps do get high if fans are under 60% (my Wife’s limit is at around 53%, after that she starts yelling at me about a noisy computer).

Undervolting doesn’t work at 2600mhz, I’d have to lower to 2550 or 2500mhz max frequency if I want to limit the voltage via MPT. I may test that next, as I like the combination of slight OC and UV. Summer is coming and Tokyo gets to 40C+ at times, so I have to get ready for that...

All in all, we are talking about a couple of frames here, but it still stings. No return policies in Japan if the product works normally, could try RMA, but again, it works ok with promised boost.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
That’s a fantastic score. Is that with a Red Devil?

I had 19030 in TS stock speed and nothing touched. I got up to 20300 at 2620mhz/2100mhz and 300W/320TDC +15%, which is how I use it daily to keep thermals down. With 340W/360TDC + 15% I got up to 20700, but clocks won’t go higher than 2620mhz. So clock speeds stay the same with 281W and 360W (the highest I tested but it became hot and unstable). Games are stable at 2700mhz even without vsync and at 4K, but temps do get high if fans are under 60% (my Wife’s limit is at around 53%, after that she starts yelling at me about a noisy computer).

Undervolting doesn’t work at 2600mhz, I’d have to lower to 2550 or 2500mhz max frequency if I want to limit the voltage via MPT. I may test that next, as I like the combination of slight OC and UV. Summer is coming and Tokyo gets to 40C+ at times, so I have to get ready for that...

All in all, we are talking about a couple of frames here, but it still stings. No return policies in Japan if the product works normally, could try RMA, but again, it works ok with promised boost.
ok, when I said stock it wasn’t. It was at 2488 - 2600 and memory at 2150.

When I say stock i mean, I did not use anything other than the AMD drivers to set up the card, so no MorePowerTools or other tweaks.
But i mean, this card is already so good at "spitting FPS" :D and OC this time around doesn't really bring a huge benefit. So you're fine man :) We may not have the best TS scores or whatever ... but who cares :D i only use TS to track progress on my OC and then i dial down a notch for daily use and... from there on, gaming is where we need to be :)

·
Mentally Insane User
494 Posts
My reference model 6900 XT only does 2640MHz with Timespy. Anything higher and it crashes.

·
Registered
26 Posts
With the previous optional driver I am able to get a stable 2600min/2800max with 2100 fast timings for the vram during the Timespy stress test. Passed with around 98% stability. It hovers around 2700 to 2750 during gaming.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Ok so but you have a good sample. So not much in line with the topic about people are asking on lower tier bins right ? I can’t get 2600 min

·
Mentally Insane User
494 Posts
2640 on max freq or min freq ?
If I set it to 2700MHz in AMD software it will crash in Timespy and that is after using MPT.

So I set it to like 2650 or 2660 max and then run the benchmark and it would be 2640 average in Timespy results.

·
Registered
15 Posts
With the previous optional driver I am able to get a stable 2600min/2800max with 2100 fast timings for the vram during the Timespy stress test. Passed with around 98% stability. It hovers around 2700 to 2750 during gaming.
Is this the driver 21.3.2? I think I got around 20mhz more with TS on that driver.

I'm going to repaste and put extra thermal pads on this Red Devil 6900XT, because I found out that I'm out of warranty as I bought it used (Powercolor's website, and the local Japanese website says that if I have bought it used, even from a shop, I won't have warranty on it.) I still have 3 weeks left of my shop warranty, but they won't let me return it without a flaw (they would analyze it carefully, and send it back to me, high OC temps do not quality.) No teardown videos, but saw from debauer's Red Devil 6800XT video that I have to be careful with some of the connectors so that I won't break them. (I've done this multiple times, but never with a 1100€+ card.) No warranty = I'm going to toy around with this thing. I actually don't mind a "low" OC, however, I mind high temps. On the Nitro+ 5700xt I got hotspot down 15C after repasting, hoping this would be the case here as well.

The reason I'm doing this is that there is almost 30C difference between the GPU core temp and hotspot. I saw people are running this thing at 55% fan speed @ 2700mhz and MPT 330W/360TDC and with a hotspot of max 95. When I put ultra ray tracing setting on in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4K, hotspot temp tries to climb past 110C but starts to throttle. I wonder if there's a shoddy paste work here, or pads are not well aligned, so I will be seeing that myself.

Question: Anyone here who has done repasting on AIB models?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Is this the driver 21.3.2? I think I got around 20mhz more with TS on that driver.

I'm going to repaste and put extra thermal pads on this Red Devil 6900XT, because I found out that I'm out of warranty as I bought it used (Powercolor's website, and the local Japanese website says that if I have bought it used, even from a shop, I won't have warranty on it.) I still have 3 weeks left of my shop warranty, but they won't let me return it without a flaw (they would analyze it carefully, and send it back to me, high OC temps do not quality.) No teardown videos, but saw from debauer's Red Devil 6800XT video that I have to be careful with some of the connectors so that I won't break them. (I've done this multiple times, but never with a 1100€+ card.) No warranty = I'm going to toy around with this thing. I actually don't mind a "low" OC, however, I mind high temps. On the Nitro+ 5700xt I got hotspot down 15C after repasting, hoping this would be the case here as well.

The reason I'm doing this is that there is almost 30C difference between the GPU core temp and hotspot. I saw people are running this thing at 55% fan speed @ 2700mhz and MPT 330W/360TDC and with a hotspot of max 95. When I put ultra ray tracing setting on in Shadow of the Tomb Raider at 4K, hotspot temp tries to climb past 110C but starts to throttle. I wonder if there's a shoddy paste work here, or pads are not well aligned, so I will be seeing that myself.

Question: Anyone here who has done repasting on AIB models?
Yeah that's 21.3.2. It gave me an additional 50 MHz. If you tear it down, please let me know how you did it! I've been wanting to repaste my red devil ultimate because temps are pretty crappy. I could easily get a stable 2800 MHz if I had better temps.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Update: I am seeing up to 40C difference between GPU and Hotspot temps, typically howering around 33-36C delta. The previous person has not opened this up (the seal is still on on the X screws). Also, the temp difference rose 5C after I tightened the backplate, thinking that maybe the pads or paste is not fully connected to the chip. Will post my repasted figures later tonight after Amazon has delivered my Grizzly Kryonaut paste and Minus8 pads. This is getting interesting...

·
PC Evangelist
47,499 Posts
Anyone tried FireStrike and what their best GPU score is. I managed 65K. My 6800XT got 59K back in November.

·
Professional Lurker
184 Posts
Update: I am seeing up to 40C difference between GPU and Hotspot temps, typically howering around 33-36C delta. The previous person has not opened this up (the seal is still on on the X screws). Also, the temp difference rose 5C after I tightened the backplate, thinking that maybe the pads or paste is not fully connected to the chip. Will post my repasted figures later tonight after Amazon has delivered my Grizzly Kryonaut paste and Minus8 pads. This is getting interesting...
Oof, it does sound like your mount isn't the greatest. Even on my reference RX 6900 XT before I unmounted the cooler for the first time, when overclocked, the temp delta wasn't more than 30C at full load.

I recommend a thick paste like Hydronaut or Gelid GC-Extreme. Thinner pastes like Kryonaut, NT-H1/H2, and others, are more-oily and will pump out over time on a bare die, and are more suited for heat-spreader application.

• Rep+
Reactions: ptt1982

·
Registered
15 Posts
Oof, it does sound like your mount isn't the greatest. Even on my reference RX 6900 XT before I unmounted the cooler for the first time, when overclocked, the temp delta wasn't more than 30C at full load.

I recommend a thick paste like Hydronaut or Gelid GC-Extreme. Thinner pastes like Kryonaut, NT-H1/H2, and others, are more-oily and will pump out over time on a bare die, and are more suited for heat-spreader application.
It does sound like a bad mount, doesn't it. Were you able to reduce the delta by applying a new paste?

Thanks for the paste tips. I wish I read your post last night before I ordered 5.5g of Kryonaut from Amazon! I'm on a holiday today, so I wanted to get the paste today so that I can finalize this project to concentrate on gaming the rest of the break (although I probably enjoy the tuning part more than gaming). I'm thinking of using the existing pads and putting them under the backplate if there are no pads between the backplate and the PCB of the Red Devil.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
question to the group ... is liquid metal worth it?

Heard that it has some good effect reducing that hotspot. I have some liquid metal I can use, but will only use it if worth it ( have to isolate everything with polyimide tape... pfff )

·
Expert pin bender
2,442 Posts
just got my waterblock in, i wonder if i will see much difference from stock cooler, i have the reference model. anyone know?

·
Professional Lurker
184 Posts
just got my waterblock in, i wonder if i will see much difference from stock cooler, i have the reference model. anyone know?
It's a world of difference.
Reference RX 6900 XT with the EK block, 420W card limit, hotspot tops out at 73C under benchmark load, core temp ~50-55C, all other temps stay below 60C. It's awesome! See my other posts for thermal paste recommendations (I use GC-Extreme)

It does sound like a bad mount, doesn't it. Were you able to reduce the delta by applying a new paste?

Thanks for the paste tips. I wish I read your post last night before I ordered 5.5g of Kryonaut from Amazon! I'm on a holiday today, so I wanted to get the paste today so that I can finalize this project to concentrate on gaming the rest of the break (although I probably enjoy the tuning part more than gaming). I'm thinking of using the existing pads and putting them under the backplate if there are no pads between the backplate and the PCB of the Red Devil.
I would say, you'd be okay with the Kryonaut, but over the months, expect to see temps creep up and the need to re-paste to come along in a year or so, shorter if you really push the card.

The Kryonaut is absolutely worth keeping, as it is by most measures, one of the bests pastes there is for putting on top of metal heat spreaders. If you can get hold of Hydronaut or GC-Extreme in the near future, they're usually not horribly expensive, and would be worth the wait to do the re-paste once and be done with it.

As for thermal pads, be warned, if you pad the back, it'll transmit coil whine into the backplate (which becomes a speaker for the whine). Many folks with EK backplates, and one reference card w/pads I've heard about, had hideous coil whine after padding the back, mine included. I had to tighten the backplate down completely, turn on a benchmark, then tighten down each of the four backplate screws JUST enough to touch the plate, to prevent hearing the coil whine in the next room.

Also, the card NEEDS the pads that are on the front, so if you're going to add pads, get new one for the back.

• Rep+
Reactions: ptt1982

·
Registered
15 Posts
It's a world of difference.
Reference RX 6900 XT with the EK block, 420W card limit, hotspot tops out at 73C under benchmark load, core temp ~50-55C, all other temps stay below 60C. It's awesome! See my other posts for thermal paste recommendations (I use GC-Extreme)

I would say, you'd be okay with the Kryonaut, but over the months, expect to see temps creep up and the need to re-paste to come along in a year or so, shorter if you really push the card.

The Kryonaut is absolutely worth keeping, as it is by most measures, one of the bests pastes there is for putting on top of metal heat spreaders. If you can get hold of Hydronaut or GC-Extreme in the near future, they're usually not horribly expensive, and would be worth the wait to do the re-paste once and be done with it.

As for thermal pads, be warned, if you pad the back, it'll transmit coil whine into the backplate (which becomes a speaker for the whine). Many folks with EK backplates, and one reference card w/pads I've heard about, had hideous coil whine after padding the back, mine included. I had to tighten the backplate down completely, turn on a benchmark, then tighten down each of the four backplate screws JUST enough to touch the plate, to prevent hearing the coil whine in the next room.

Also, the card NEEDS the pads that are on the front, so if you're going to add pads, get new one for the back.
Thanks again for a lot of useful info. Just to confirm before I start my operation (which is in an hour or so): I should not change the pads in the front? I got Minus8 pads I was thinking of putting in the front and moving Red Devil's own used pads under the backplate, backside.

Interestingly, I could run Superposition at 2775mhz, fans at 100%, memory at 2115mhz fast timings, and MPT 350W/380TDC. Got 17914 points which is actually not bad. With further testing, it's fully stable at 2770mhz for rasterization without RT, and with RT 2710mhz. I guess it's not a bad card after all, it's just that Timespy doesn't like it, but everything else does. Temps stayed under 100C just about, but again, a delta of 33-38C, so I have to fix that.

1501 - 1520 of 1621 Posts