Overclock.net banner

21 - 40 of 6270 Posts

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
Joined
·
11,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlfman View Post

do you have evidence of higher than 1.25v's frying other motherboard embedded controllers though? that's thing because so far its been 100% crosshair only. not even asus prime suffered frying of the emended controller. elmor admitted they didn't see this issue on them. as elmor only stated the 1.2 / 1.25v limit because of it frying the crosshairs embedded controller, not because of it being safe for the "platform" or the processor. i doubt gigabyte is not only stating, but autoing 1.35v's for 3200mhz ratio if it frys their controllers.

don't misunderstand me, i'm skeptical of voltages above the 1.2v, not because of asus and frying the crosshairs controller, but because of how steep of a raise that is from the default 0.8-0.9v's on the soc. the only thing i wish if amd themselves came out stating safe soc voltages for their processors for we can at least know from amd themselves and not this misinformation coming from the manufacturers. like gigabytes 1.35v and asus 1.2v. at least crosshair is concerned, its because you can fry the embedded controller asus uses on it.
I've only been using the platform myself for a few days. Different vendors may possibly have experienced different failures, but I've not used Gigabyte on this platform.

Besides which, after spending not much time at all with the CH6, it's pretty evident at least to me that there is no reason to be anywhere near that high.
 

·
Meddling user
Joined
·
7,423 Posts
Only my view and opinion based on what I've read and what I've experienced.

2x R7 1700, batch UA 1706PGT (1st CPU) and UA 1709PGT (2nd CPU). 3x RAM kits, CMK8GX4M2A2400C14 , BLS2C4G4D240FSE , F4-3200C14D-16GTZ. Same mobo and rest of HW.

The Corsair kit I could get upto 2666MHz, on 1st CPU I would need SOC 0.900V in UEFI. I would get errors in HCI MemTest, intermittently/variable time periods. Slacking timings, increasing VCORE/SOC/VBOOT&VDIMM did not resolve errors. G.Skill kit 2933MHz not an issue. 3200MHz even with SOC 1.050V in UEFI no go, VCORE upped no go. I have not tried to OC the Crucial kit yet.

2nd CPU I did not try any other RAM yet than G.Skill set. Again increase of SOC using my method of assessing default needed only +100mV.

So I would concur with Silent Scone that we may not need SOC as high as peeps going. IF SOC increase is stabilizing RAM for another perhaps it is masking a non optimal other setting or just the immaturity of platform. As RAM has an effect on Data Fabric clock this is another thing to consider. Perhaps some CPUs do not like this. Perhaps May update will "tweak" this aspect to enable higher RAM use.

The Stilt's share on SOC, link, another post to ref and this one.

So the take away for me is SOC doesn't need to be as high as we may think we need. RAM training is an issue, immaturity of platform and as he states extremely complex training. From having read past posts of The Stilt he has various Ryzen boards and a fair number. He also has Intel, as I've seen his posts where he has said "I will test x and compare".

Then SOC may also be affecting other voltages we are unaware of, link [email protected] Then his post in context of say cold boot vs warm boot.

For me I get occasional cold boot issues on 3200MHz, standby/reboot not an issue. I have thrown Y-Cruncher / x264 / IBT AVX / RB / [email protected] at system many hours and "back to back". One such run was 36hrs+ with these programs. So my failure to cold boot is either a setting I'm over looking or platform immaturity.

Today I plan to retest ProODT, this has been highlighted by Elmor, Praz and [email protected] to aid RAM training.

As I use a PState 0 OC with Offset voltage to CPU on a failed memory training boot there is a "quirk". AMD CBS resets, Extreme Tweaker does not. Then as CPU is in "Default Mode" PB/XFR is active even when UEFI loaded. My R7 1700 uses ~1.35V in these higher states, throw in the +162mV offset I use = ~1.5V.

Screenshot of UEFI and getting ~1.5V is in this post, it is not just UEFI reporting 1.5V I have checked with DMM on ProbeIt point. Solution for this at present, for me is this.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,655 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post

Aiming for this tomorrow, 3200 has been pretty much P&P so far with the b die modules.
Hello

Plug n' play is a good thing considering the limited settings AMD has decided to expose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gupsterg View Post

So I would concur with Silent Scone that we may not need SOC as high as peeps going. IF SOC increase is stabilizing RAM for another perhaps it is masking a non optimal other setting or just the immaturity of platform.
Hello

Currently needing 1.2V SOC voltage and above is representative of a very bad CPU overclocking sample or as you note more likely a workaround for something amiss at the board level. Recommending or auto setting upward of 1.35V is both ludicrous and irresponsible.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
I find time Ill post full screenshot of running linuks one.


Hci free is pain in the ass to start up so moved to beter in my opinion TPU Memtest.
 

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
Joined
·
11,380 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The pro version can be setup easily if you are finding it a chore. That's an interesting pair of screenshots.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
851 Posts
I had degradation to the point of failure on a kit of CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 2x8GB ddr4 3000 while running XMP profile with an older BIOS on Asus Prime b350 +

The XMP worked right of the bat. But this past this past week the computer started BSODING more and more often and now every 10 minutes.

- I proceeded to install the latest BIOS which auto-detected the RAM as 3000mhz without need of XMP. The BSODS persisted.

- I proceeded to downclock the ram to 2133mhz without success.

- I proceeded to remove one of the sticks for a quick diagnosis and the bsods have stopped. Its a workstation so I cannot test it further, but it appears one of the sticks has indeed gradually deteriorated.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,759 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent Scone View Post

The pro version can be setup easily if you are finding it a chore. That's an interesting pair of screenshots.


Thats my daily setup iw been using for few weeks. 3605hmz same volts stable ect BUT with 135.xmhz i cant use pstate oc so no downlocking and since its 3200cl16 kit 3605 works stable as u see at cl18 and ran few benchmarks.... 3605 cl18 is TINY BIT slower than 3472 cl16.
Since my cpu is poor 4ghz impossible anything above 3940 does not pass IBT Max x 3. At lest IMC is good in my chip
smile.gif
.

Anyhow one more this is 3605 run over time i was at work 9 hours on windows 8.1 that i swaped 5820k over without format or anything. Stable system is stable
biggrin.gif
I had to tweek w10 for 12 hours tog et same benchmark scores as on 8.1 lol


Also ill add this:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
872 Posts
Any tips on getting 3200mhz on taichi board? Cpu voltage 1.35, Dram voltage 1.35, SOC voltage 1.15v (up to 1.2), 2933 is my best with 14-14-14-34 timings. Can't post on 3200 even with loose timings. CPU is 1700 by the way. What's the highest bclk I can use without compromising my NVME ssd?
 

·
No.2 in Gaming
Joined
·
1,937 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bl1tzk1213g View Post

Any tips on getting 3200mhz on taichi board? Cpu voltage 1.35, Dram voltage 1.35, SOC voltage 1.15v (up to 1.2), 2933 is my best with 14-14-14-34 timings. Can't post on 3200 even with loose timings. CPU is 1700 by the way. What's the highest bclk I can use without compromising my NVME ssd?
I cant answer about the nvme drive, but as I noted yesterday, pci-e 3.0 slots down clock themselves when not working on 3d.
mine sits at pci-e 1.1 when not working and then pci-e 3.0 when working in full screen.
I have a feeling the pci-e speed changing with bus clocking might be down to human error?
I would say test, but as you say it might ruin your ssd contents.
 

·
Meddling user
Joined
·
7,423 Posts
@Silent Scone

+rep for share, nice result
wink.gif
. BTW everytime I view the OP table, my OCD kicks in, that my 1700 is shown as 7000, any chance of change? cheers
smile.gif
.
 
21 - 40 of 6270 Posts
Top