• Antec Kühler H2O 620

Votes: 132 98.5%
  • Antec Kühler H2O 920

Votes: 2 1.5%
6061 - 6080 of 6095 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Changed out the heat sink and fan yesterday. When I went to pull the original heat sink off, I unlocked it, and it was stuck. When it came off, it pulled the processor off with it!
eek.gif
It had the original thermal pad on it...should have removed that when I first put it on. I've never seen one stuck like that. Thankfully, none of the pins were damaged, and neither was the base where it mounted. I cleaned the processor and water block with the Arctic Clean 1 and 2 solutions, then put a small amount of Arctic Silver 5 on and tinted both the processor and water block. I used a very small amount of thermal paste on the processor (less than the size of a pea). Everything is working great now, much quieter, with the highest temp I've seen around 43 deg C, after running IL2 1946. It was idling after that around 40. Much cooler than before, with temps around 54 C when gaming. Did a lot of cleaning to it, also, including the heat sink on the video card. It's also very quiet now, which is much better than hearing the fans running hard.

Here's some pics:

It seems to have some pretty steady temps. Think this will work ok. I might go for another LED fans in the top, to cool it down even further (about 34 C right now)....might even change to red
thumb.gif

Thanks for the help and advice!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Would the 620 be able to handle a reservoir and a 240mm rad or is the flow rate too low? And can you put two aio pumps in the same circuit? Would this create turbulence or worse? And if it is OK, would a h100 and a khuler 620 work in the same loop for cpu and gpu? The biggest problem is the 1/4" barbs which would probably restrict the flow if you tried to cool cpu+gpu, but even if it can handle a reservoir and a 240mm rad that would be great.
I have several mounting solutions for different cards, so I'm just curious about the 620s pump rate.

Edit: plywood's mod seems to cover this so no need to answer. Should have searched better. Lol

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NFleck View Post

Would the 620 be able to handle a reservoir and a 240mm rad or is the flow rate too low? And can you put two aio pumps in the same circuit? Would this create turbulence or worse? And if it is OK, would a h100 and a khuler 620 work in the same loop for cpu and gpu? The biggest problem is the 1/4" barbs which would probably restrict the flow if you tried to cool cpu+gpu, but even if it can handle a reservoir and a 240mm rad that would be great.
I have several mounting solutions for different cards, so I'm just curious about the 620s pump rate.

Edit: plywood's mod seems to cover this so no need to answer. Should have searched better. Lol
I'm running a 920 + jingway pump, 3x240mm rads, and a tiny little res. The flow is low but it works fine.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Hey guys
smile.gif
it's been a while

Looks like I need to refill some liquid, quite a bit has evaporated over the last 4-5 years. Is this relatively easy? You just take off the tubes where the barbs are and then stick em back on?

·
Registered
3,954 Posts
Good luck, I dont think its that easy, u might need to get new tubes and clamps but its worth shot,
also don't forget you'll need to flush and replace with new fluid with corrosion and antibac props

·
Registered
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

Good luck, I dont think its that easy, u might need to get new tubes and clamps but its worth shot,
also don't forget you'll need to flush and replace with new fluid with corrosion and antibac props
It's been done successfully by others, I'm not too worried. I was looking for tips from someone who might have done this before.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Guys,

Have my 920 for 5 years. Not too much use. temps look normal and the unit looks sound.

Should i be thinking about replacing the unit due to age?

Be proactive against a potential leak in the coming months/years maybe?

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 8bitG33k View Post

It's been done successfully by others, I'm not too worried. I was looking for tips from someone who might have done this before.
Somewhere deep in this thread there is/were some pics of someone that refilled theirs years ago. I think they used a big container or bucket and submerged the tubes in it? Then let the fluid cycle through it for awhile to work bubbles out and connected the tubing back to the radiator while submerged in the container. Something like that. I wouldn't submerge the actual block though, the housing for the PCB probably isn't sealed to keep water out.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi guys, so glad to find this thread. I've just got a used 620 today, after securing the bracket and tighten the 4 screw of the pump mount. The pump feel very loosely even though the screw are very tight. I'm installing it on a 775 socket. Any ideas?

·
Registered
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul24th View Post

Hi guys, so glad to find this thread. I've just got a used 620 today, after securing the bracket and tighten the 4 screw of the pump mount. The pump feel very loosely even though the screw are very tight. I'm installing it on a 775 socket. Any ideas?
Seems normal for both the 620 and the 920. I only retired my 920 last week and always struggled whenever installing it on a new motherboard. Biggest issue is there are no standoffs so it's always a toss up between over-tightening (and ending up with bent pins) vs the pump being too loose. Fwiw I just made sure I didn't *over* tighten, and then ran with it as long as my temps were ok.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

Seems normal for both the 620 and the 920. I only retired my 920 last week and always struggled whenever installing it on a new motherboard. Biggest issue is there are no standoffs so it's always a toss up between over-tightening (and ending up with bent pins) vs the pump being too loose. Fwiw I just made sure I didn't *over* tighten, and then ran with it as long as my temps were ok.
So are they supposed to be loosely like that? I can even tilt it on its side a bit. And my CPU temp was going off the roof, the cooler wasn't cooling anything.

·
Registered
903 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jul24th View Post

So are they supposed to be loosely like that? I can even tilt it on its side a bit. And my CPU temp was going off the roof, the cooler wasn't cooling anything.
No, they are not supposed to be loose! But it's easy to have them too loose when trying to not overtightened. I'm just saying this pump/plate can be tricky to get on *just right*.

How much fluid is left in the rad? Being a first gen AIO it does evaporate over time, and depending on how long it was used before you got it, it's possible that quite a bit has evaporated. Luckily the coolant can be replaced, there is at least one guide buried in this thread somewhere.

·
Registered
903 Posts
PS: What I'm saying is, it can *seem* loose but it actually isn't. If you tighten it just a tiny bit more you may well end up with bent pins. Happened to me on two boards before I learned my lesson. In your case I think it may be that you may have it slightly skewed. It happens easily.

·
Registered
4,269 Posts
Just thought I'd mention that the 920 I chopped up and turned into a custom loop had the pump die, not sure exactly when it happened. Connecting the 3 pin to the mobo or directly to the PSU doesn't make any difference. Going to have to add a 2ND pump as the single Jingway pump can't really handle the loop by itself.

Wonder if it's better the open the 920 again and remove the impeller and magnet completely? Or just leave it in there?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:

No, they are not supposed to be loose! But it's easy to have them too loose when trying to not overtightened. I'm just saying this pump/plate can be tricky to get on *just right*.

How much fluid is left in the rad? Being a first gen AIO it does evaporate over time, and depending on how long it was used before you got it, it's possible that quite a bit has evaporated. Luckily the coolant can be replaced, there is at least one guide buried in this thread somewhere.
I took a closer look, and turned out that the pump was running and the propeller was rotating but water was not running through the unit... Like not at all, pump was running but no water.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Hi guys,

I recently acquired a second-hand H620 v4.

The fan is way too loud for my liking. I was wondering if any 120mm PWM replacement fan would properly work when attached to the pump. Or should I plug the replacement fan directly into a mobo header ?

Any fan recommandation ? I was leaning towards the Artic F12 PWM since it's extremely cheap.

Thanks !

·
Registered
1 Posts
Chill Control Software

I reset my windows 10 pc and tried to download chill control from antecs website, its now called grid

I installed that and now it says it doesn't detect a usb connection. I tried a couple things , run as admin etc. but nothing worked.

I dont have time to really fiddle with fan software, the chill control worked just fine. does anyone know where i can find a copy of chill control?

Regards

·
Registered
1 Posts
I reset my windows 10 pc and tried to download chill control from antecs website, its now called grid

I installed that and now it says it doesn't detect a usb connection. I tried a couple things , run as admin etc. but nothing worked.

I dont have time to really fiddle with fan software, the chill control worked just fine. does anyone know where i can find a copy of chill control?

Regards
https://web.archive.org/web/2014070...tec.com/download/KUHLER_ChillControl_V1_2.zip

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am trying to install the Driver on Windows 10, 64 Bit.
I keep getting this error:
Cannot connect to Chill Control device.
Check USB connection on device and restart the Chill Control Application.

I have tried everything I found on internet, both 1.0 and 1.2 Versions and still nothing. Any ideas how to get it to work..?

·
Premium Member
1,828 Posts
6061 - 6080 of 6095 Posts