Overclock.net banner

41 - 60 of 2777 Posts

·
WaterCooler
2,542 Posts
@Frozenkex, If you want excellent sound, buy a sound card.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by iamlucky View Post

This. The on-board sound is good, but for very good quality sound you will need a sound card.
I agree. but I was thinking of saving a bit of money for now and taking the most optimal choice for my situation. So if say I do have 80 ohms headphones, should i still pick this mobo? And if I did buy a sound card would this mobo still be worth the purchase. The others im considering between are UD3h/UD4h/gd65 or asus z87 pro.

Also still wondering if this one has headphone amp or not. People say my headphone could benefit from an amp, so its difficult to decide.

·
Registered
29 Posts
You can add me, if you can see the pic in my avatar is my hero with some corsair vengeance. I am having either horrible luck overclocking, or AI suite 2 and CPUZ are having a fight. Trying a manual clock now to see if I can hit some toasty temps. Ai Suite says, after a 4way optimization loop that my clock should 4.2 but cpu-z showing anything from 801 to 4.2. I sure there is an answer for this, but I haven't googled it yet. Trying a reboot now and a cpu ratio change to see if cpu-z reports it.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Folks,

Please document your settings and let's make this thread a reference!
I can't wait to receive my CPU to start benching/OC ing!

·
Registered
635 Posts
In ref with the headphone amp question, I'd say no.

There is no reviews of the Max VI HERO that mentions that the sound subsystem has an AMP. Not even on ASUS product page.
Lots say that the sound is great, with a few interesting options (maybe gimmicky) like Sound radar, and the VOIP quality booster, but no AMPS.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by delavan View Post

In ref with the headphone amp question, I'd say no.

There is no reviews of the Max VI HERO that mentions that the sound subsystem has an AMP. Not even on ASUS product page.
Lots say that the sound is great, with a few interesting options (maybe gimmicky) like Sound radar, and the VOIP quality booster, but no AMPS.
Anyone knows if 80ohm headphones would be slightly starved with this mobo? Should I get it anyway?

·
Registered
737 Posts
If you're looking for a board that will give you great stability for overclocking this is it, and then you find you still need an amp get a discrete sound card, nothing will beat that. For me, this is the only Z87 board that I got 4.7 GHz stable at 1.195 volts (GD65, Gigabyte OC), and the sound quality outdoes those in my opinion. Hope this helps a bit.

EDIT: Also, I am using Sennheiser 559s FWIW.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I didn't see Delavan's post, but I guess I'll start things off:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.2 Volts (Batch L310492 Malaysia)
Cooling System: Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK using stock fans
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow

Tested stability using Aida64 Extreme Edition for 6 hours, max temps via RealTempGT for uncured Shin Etsu X23 Thermal Paste 78 C. Will attach screenshots when I get home.

Does anyone have any benchmarking software in mind, so that we all get consistent comparable results?

·
Premium Member
17,348 Posts
had a hero for a month now (cant post a pic + ocn name in it atm, phones dead
frown.gif
) also just ordered a maximus vi formula from newegg, gonna compare them to each other to see if its worth the extra 80 bucks for the thermal "armor" other than looks lol.

·
Registered
29 Posts
How are you achieving this clock? Via the ai suite, or tweaked in bios/uefi? Trying to establish a baseline for comparison but I am using the i5:4670k. No matter which way I clock it, I am getting inconsistent results with cpu-z.
I54670k
Cooling : seidon 240m (push/pull)
Ram: corsair vengeance pro 8gb (1600mhz)
Hero has latest bios (7xxx)

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry99 View Post

How are you achieving this clock? Via the ai suite, or tweaked in bios/uefi? Trying to establish a baseline for comparison but I am using the i5:4670k. No matter which way I clock it, I am getting inconsistent results with cpu-z.
I54670k
Cooling : seidon 240m (push/pull)
Ram: corsair vengeance pro 8gb (1600mhz)
Hero has latest bios (7xxx)
I assume you're referring to me, if so, I use the UEFI Bios to set the overclock. AISuiteIII is great, but upon reboot my OC settings don't save, but then again its probably my fault for not looking for a way to.

What do you mean you're getting inconsistent results via CPU-Z? Voltage change could be due to Power Phases, try extreme for the least Vdroop. However, I noticed CPU-Z was reporting .005 more than I set in the bios which was also reflected in Aida64, possibly a reporting method discrepancy. For example: CPU-Z 1.20, Aida and UEFI 1.195.

However, if your clock speed is changing, it could be due to power saving modes you inadvertently initiated. I suggest reading the ROG UEFI overclock method, but for speed's sake try changing only the multiplier and sync all cores, and also change the voltage manually so the motherboard doesn't over-volt your CPU.

Finally, you could just have an average or slightly underperforming CPU chip, which is known to happen. This is the reason I listed the batch number on my CPU, more often than not CPUs from a batch with known overclocking potential tend to be great, in my case I hit the "silicon lottery".

Hope this helps, I'm sure others here who are far more knowledgeable than me can help you too if this didn't.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeerK View Post

I didn't see Delavan's post, but I guess I'll start things off:

CPU: Intel i7 4770k @ 4.7 GHz @ 1.2 Volts (Batch L310492 Malaysia)
Cooling System: Phanteks PH-TC14PE BK using stock fans
Case: Thermaltake Level 10 GT Snow

Tested stability using Aida64 Extreme Edition for 6 hours, max temps via RealTempGT for uncured Shin Etsu X23 Thermal Paste 78 C. Will attach screenshots when I get home.

Does anyone have any benchmarking software in mind, so that we all get consistent comparable results?
You got one hell of a cpu sample there
thumb.gif

·
Registered
29 Posts
Nope, that was very helpful. I'll try it again in the morning. I'll also try to discern the batch number from some of the pics I took. Asus uefi guide lists that I should no exceed 1.23volts with my closed loop cooler. So, I will try in the bios again and see. What I mean by conflicting is cpu-z will fluctuate between 800 and 4.2 ish, no matter what Ai suite is reporting, whether at stock or in high performance preset. If I overclock in uefi , cpu-z fluctuates between 3.4 and 4.2. It is entirely possible I am missing something as this is my first build since lga775.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood78 View Post

You got one hell of a cpu sample there
thumb.gif
biggrin.gif
Thanks, I googled the batch number when I first got it and was giddy with excitement and hope.
Quote:
Originally Posted by OilCountry99 View Post

Nope, that was very helpful. I'll try it again in the morning. I'll also try to discern the batch number from some of the pics I took. Asus uefi guide lists that I should no exceed 1.23volts with my closed loop cooler. So, I will try in the bios again and see. What I mean by conflicting is cpu-z will fluctuate between 800 and 4.2 ish, no matter what Ai suite is reporting, whether at stock or in high performance preset. If I overclock in uefi , cpu-z fluctuates between 3.4 and 4.2. It is entirely possible I am missing something as this is my first build since lga775.
Could be that you're using offset mode, I know with my 3770k I used to drop down to 1.6 GHz when idle. Try again tomorrow, get some coffee, and just start slow with most things on auto save multiplier and voltage. Once you get pretty stable, you can tweak the little things. Let us know.

EDIT: Just for curiosity's sake does anyone know what the 4770k to 3770k comparison is? For example, is 4.6 GHz on the 4770k equal to 4.9 or 5.0 GHz on the 3770k?

·
Registered
834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeerK View Post

biggrin.gif
Thanks, I googled the batch number when I first got it and was giddy with excitement and hope.
Could be that you're using offset mode, I know with my 3770k I used to drop down to 1.6 GHz when idle. Try again tomorrow, get some coffee, and just start slow with most things on auto save multiplier and voltage. Once you get pretty stable, you can tweak the little things. Let us know.

EDIT: Just for curiosity's sake does anyone know what the 4770k to 3770k comparison is? For example, is 4.6 GHz on the 4770k equal to 4.9 or 5.0 GHz on the 3770k?
I've read the delta is about 200mhz between IB and Haswell. In other words 4.7ghz Haswell = 4.9ghz IB

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inglewood78 View Post

I've read the delta is about 200mhz between IB and Haswell. In other words 4.7ghz Haswell = 4.9ghz IB
I've read 300MHz more often, the 400 MHz was just one instance/wishful thinking. Either way, I never could have touched 4.9GHz on my 3770k, I struggled to get 4.5 GHz on 1.25 volts under 85 degrees. Since I do full shutdowns, the USB 3.0 is not an issue for me and this C1 Hero is awesome. Btw Inglewood, your rig looks fantastic, bravo on the color coordination.

·
WaterCooler
2,542 Posts
So what's with the USB 3.0 bug that Haswell supposed to have?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SortOfGrim View Post

So what's with the USB 3.0 bug that Haswell supposed to have?
The bug is that when pc goes to sleep/hibernate usb3.0 devices get disconnected. Have to unplug and re-plug back in. The new stepping on the boards are all supposedly shipping this week. There is a thread about this on the republic of gamers webpage. I cannot recall the new stepping revision number but mine is the old kind.
If you click the mainboard tab on cpu-z if you see southbridge stepping rev. 04 you have the old kind with the bug, if you have (pretty sure it would be rev.05) you have the new kind. Minor hassle for me as I do not have any devices that this affects.

41 - 60 of 2777 Posts