Overclock.net banner
15741 - 15760 of 15791 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
anyone tryed 16gb ECC server ram sticks ?

·
Registered
544 Posts
Hi there

I cannot update to the bios release by wannaoverclocker?Whenever i try this i keep getting a security alert in the bios that wont allow me to flash the custom bios. How do i get around this? Do i need to disable secure boot? I have used low level format and still not working.... Im currently on bios 701, do i need to upgrade to 8.00 from asus first before i use wannaoverclockers bios?

Any help appreciated

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
Hi there

I cannot update to the bios release by wannaoverclocker?Whenever i try this i keep getting a security alert in the bios that wont allow me to flash the custom bios. How do i get around this? Do i need to disable secure boot? I have used low level format and still not working.... Im currently on bios 701, do i need to upgrade to 8.00 from asus first before i use wannaoverclockers bios?

Any help appreciated
No, you do not need to be on 0801 to update to the modded bios.

Are you using the BIOS flash button on the back in the I/O panel? That is all I have used with this board and it has worked every time (as long as I follow the procedure correctly).

Note that there can't be anything else on the USB stick other than the bios file and it has to be named correctly. You have to rename the bios to R4BE.CAP and it has to be in the root directory of the USB drive if you didn't know this already. Basically it has to be the only file on the USB drive to work correctly.

EDIT: Note that you have to change the extension to .cap for it to work correctly.

·
Mod Enthusiast
585 Posts
Recently acquired a Rampage IV Black Edition and it's behaving quite odd. Regardless of what I'm doing, stress testing (10+ minutes sometimes), sitting in the BIOS, sitting on the desktop (doing nothing), the motherboard will hard boot down. After it does this the CPU LED will come up and sit on Q code 00 until I unplug the power supply for a few minutes and clear CMOS. I will then be able to turn it all back on but it will inevitably just hard shut-down again within 10 seconds to 15 minutes of it being powered on again.

• Using 1 stick of known working RAM, alternated between a few that I have just to be sure, same result. Currently only using 1 stick in A1 slot.
  • Tried two different PSU's, same thing, tried this first because the "anti surge" warning would come up usually when this happened if it doesn't go right into Q code 00 boot loops. Both are actually platinum rated, one is 1200w and the other is 1000w.
  • Stopped using HDMI and am using DVI on the card since I found a few places referencing weird issues with HDMI cables?
  • Have bread-boarded it and even when it's not like that, same things occur while it sits on my open bench.
  • Tried 2 different GPU's, 1 known working just fine in another system, a GTX 780ti and 980ti.
  • Tried using the MOLEX connector on the bottom of the board since very rarely when it hard boots off, comes back up and doesn't initialize the GPU properly, GPU fans spinning at 100% and Q code sitting on 34.
  • Tried both BIOS's, one is on an older 0403 and the main one I would use is on a bifurcation mod 0801 - Same issues regardless of BIOS.
  • Also tried two different CPU's, a 4960x and a 1680v2, same behavior yet again...

So... is this most likely just a broken board or is there a fix someone has found along the way like bumping currency and output settings or has no one actually found a cure for what seems to be a fairly common problem among these boards?

·
Registered
288 Posts
I wont be of any help but I went through 3 Rampage IV Black editions and finally got tired. I like the motherboard but the quality of ASUS sucks. I may never go back to ASUS unless I hear their quality parts on their motherboards matches their prices.

·

13,060 Posts
I wont be of any help but I went through 3 Rampage IV Black editions and finally got tired. I like the motherboard but the quality of ASUS sucks. I may never go back to ASUS unless I hear their quality parts on their motherboards matches their prices.
I bought one and only one, no problems with it. Still have it with a 1680 v2.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
I bought one and only one, no problems with it. Still have it with a 1680 v2.
Mine had issues and I was finally able to upgrade. I went with an AMD system and a 3900x on an X570 board. Unfortunately the only board I could get at the time was Gigabyte but luckily it is a good board so far. I really wanted an Asus board but I could never find any in stock unless I wanted to pay twice the price.

I will probably switch out to an Asus board when I get the chance just because I think they have pretty good customer service and great products. Compare this to Gigabyte customer service of which has the worst number of complaints I've ever seen for a MB company....lol.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hi everyone. Long story short : I've got a rampage IV black edition that had a bad iROG chip, replaced the chip but now need to load firmware onto it. The iROG chip firmware is not available anywhere online, but it is possible (and easy) to dump from a working board.

The process is simple.
0) Power off system completely (atx supply unplugged)
1) Locate the DEBUG jumper (2*4 pins) near the CE marking between the lowest two pcieX16 slots. Pin 1 is towards the rear (i/o side) bottom (away from the cpu) and is marked on the pcb. Pin ordering is:
2 4 6 8
1 3 5 7

2) Connect a jumper across pins 5 and 7. This will enable bootloader mode on the embedded controller. The board will not function normally when in bootloader mode, thats ok.
3) Connect RX and TX from a 3.3v USB UART to pins 1 and 3. 1=TxD, 3=RxD
4) Connect the USB UART to another computer.
5) Turn on the ATX power supply. The embedded controller works off of 3.3v standby (derived from 5vsb), so the board doesn't really nee to be 'on' in the normal sense for this to work.
6) Run the application (found on some Russian board repair forum) here and press the blue dump button. Provide a filename and after a minute or so you'll have a dump of the embedded controller firmware.

7) Unplug the ATX power supply and remove the jumper between pins 5 and 7. Your board will be back to normal once powercycled.

Much appreciated! If anyone is willing to do this and needs some help, happy to do a videocall.

thanks,
cirthix

·
Registered
141 Posts
hello ,the last 2 days i had a strange issue with my RVIBE :

i press start ,i hear the beep sound i can see the "_" icon in the top left of my screen as usuall but dont see the bios boot screen ,black screen after that and no widnows boot.

i press the reset button boot normal after the "_" i can see the bios boot screen and all ok .i shutdown the pc ,no boot ,press reset boot fine i tryed 10 times same issues all times i had to reset to be able to boot.

now problem is gone ,i saved bios in OC profile and restrored from another slot in saved profiles (exact same setup no chances) ,tryed 5-6 times and boot from the first try.

·
Registered
288 Posts
I am sorry but I am no hope here. I was on my 3rd RIVBE when it died last year and finally gave up on ASUS quality control. I understand taking a leap to a new motherboard is all new cpu,ddr4,pcie storage/U.s, all cost money. I just didnt see an alternative, buy another used and see it all happen again or get a new mobo. Yep, I decided to wait until intel comes out with a pcie 4.0.
I know this does not help but you are not the only one with ASUS trouble

• Rep+
Reactions: nofearek9

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts

i press start ,i hear the beep sound i can see the "_" icon in the top left of my screen as usuall but dont see the bios boot screen ,black screen after that and no widnows boot.

i press the reset button boot normal after the "_" i can see the bios boot screen and all ok .i shutdown the pc ,no boot ,press reset boot fine i tryed 10 times same issues all times i had to reset to be able to boot.

now problem is gone ,i saved bios in OC profile and restrored from another slot in saved profiles (exact same setup no chances) ,tryed 5-6 times and boot from the first try.
It may be time to upgrade. These boards are aging and though they age very well they will not last forever. I am happy to hear that you seem to have a really great RIVBE board.
I am sorry but I am no hope here. I was on my 3rd RIVBE when it died last year and finally gave up on ASUS quality control. I understand taking a leap to a new motherboard is all new cpu,ddr4,pcie storage/U.s, all cost money. I just didnt see an alternative, buy another used and see it all happen again or get a new mobo. Yep, I decided to wait until intel comes out with a pcie 4.0.
I know this does not help but you are not the only one with ASUS trouble
I only had one RIVBE board and it ran decently well for the last 5 years though it had an issue with random system freezes that I had to do a hard reset to get it back up and running. I upgraded to a Ryzen 3900x and 64gb of DDR4 3600 RAM but transferred over everything else. Unfortunately the only x570 board I could get at the time was a Gigabyte x570 Aorus Elite Wifi. If you didn't know their customer service is leagues worse than any other customer service out there. Take a look at reddit and you will see how many RMA nightmares there are out there related to Gigabyte. I will be "upgrading" to an Asus Dark Hero board here in the next couple of months (if I can find it again...lol).

·
Registered
450 Posts

It's very possible that there was some kind of corruption that was the issue rather than the board. If I understand your post correctly then the issue was resolved when you loaded in the settings from a fresh profile slot. If the problem comes back I'd recommend either trying the alternate bios chip or flashing a fresh copy of the bios to the current chip and see if that doesn't clear it up.

• Rep+
Reactions: nofearek9

·
Registered
141 Posts
yes problem came back,tryed lot of thing no overclock ,less ram issue is there ,i will try now make a flash bios ,i will try the nvme bios and see how it goes.thanks for the comments.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Happy to help. If the flash doesn't work, try switching over to the other bios chip. If it's still no good I don't know what to tell you, unfortunately.

·
Registered
141 Posts
that was the first thinkg i tryed with no luck ,its a bit early to tell that problem solved but with 20 trys of boot i have now 100% success,what was the problem ?
steelseries gamedac (usb sound card) ,in boot menu ,fast boot,usb support :disable.

·
Registered
450 Posts
Oh wow, hadn't heard of that kind of thing before. Good to hear you got it working again!

·
Registered
141 Posts
yeap very very strange i had arctis pro wireless for more than a year with no problem ,replaced it with gamedac and after 2 weeks i noticed that ,i can now tell you 100% that was the problem ,after made the change in bios nothing happened again.(yet)

·
2 Easy
3,496 Posts
Been looking on ebay for one of these as a collectors item, if any one wants to sell at a reasonable price just pm me

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
I am looking to sell my 32gb (4x8) of Gskill Trident Z 2133 RAM and my 4930k CPU. I was thinking of adding the RIVBE board into that sale for free because the board causes the system to freeze up occasionally, that's if anyone would want the board.
At one point while it was still under warranty Asus said I could send it in and they would see if they could fix it but I would've been without a PC in the meantime and they didn't have any more RIVBEs and would have to take an alternative board if they couldn't fix it. The board ran fine for like 3 or 4 years but except for the random system freezes, of which a hard system reset was the only way out of them.

How much do you all think I could get for the RAM and the CPU (w/free RIVBE board)?

I also have a 1650 v2 xenon that worked fine with this board I could add in.

15741 - 15760 of 15791 Posts