Overclock.net banner
15761 - 15780 of 15791 Posts

·
Registered
450 Posts
Been looking on ebay for one of these as a collectors item, if any one wants to sell at a reasonable price just pm me
What does a new mid-line threadripper build cost, 1,500? I'll give you mine for 1k, collectors items cost premium ;)

If it's just as a wall installation or something for a display case then maybe Madmax will give you his for the cost of shipping.

@Madmaxneo I don't know, 75 for the ram and 100 for the cpu? 50 for the ram? I don't know, if you had an 8x8 kit I'd have PMed you. Maybe check newegg and see what similar kits are priced at currently.

·

13,059 Posts
I am looking to sell my 32gb (4x8) of Gskill Trident Z 2133 RAM and my 4930k CPU. I was thinking of adding the RIVBE board into that sale for free because the board causes the system to freeze up occasionally, that's if anyone would want the board.
At one point while it was still under warranty Asus said I could send it in and they would see if they could fix it but I would've been without a PC in the meantime and they didn't have any more RIVBEs and would have to take an alternative board if they couldn't fix it. The board ran fine for like 3 or 4 years but except for the random system freezes, of which a hard system reset was the only way out of them.

How much do you all think I could get for the RAM and the CPU (w/free RIVBE board)?

I also have a 1650 v2 xenon that worked fine with this board I could add in.
@Jpmboy might be looking for some 4x8gb ddr3.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
What does a new mid-line threadripper build cost, 1,500? I'll give you mine for 1k, collectors items cost premium ;)

If it's just as a wall installation or something for a display case then maybe Madmax will give you his for the cost of shipping.

@Madmaxneo I don't know, 75 for the ram and 100 for the cpu? 50 for the ram? I don't know, if you had an 8x8 kit I'd have PMed you. Maybe check newegg and see what similar kits are priced at currently.
I don't really want to sell the board for free so I figured I would offer it with the CPU and RAM. Those prices sound about right because it seems like everyone wants to get rid of their old stuff...lol. The 4930k I have is a good chip and will hit 4.4ghz on all cores with no issues. It wasn't stable at 4.5ghz but I am sure someone with more skill in the bios could get better than I could. I feel like I should keep this CPU and RAM and get another x79 board, but there don't seem to be any decent x79 boards around for a cheap price....lol.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I don't really want to sell the board for free so I figured I would offer it with the CPU and RAM. Those prices sound about right because it seems like everyone wants to get rid of their old stuff...lol. The 4930k I have is a good chip and will hit 4.4ghz on all cores with no issues. It wasn't stable at 4.5ghz but I am sure someone with more skill in the bios could get better than I could. I feel like I should keep this CPU and RAM and get another x79 board, but there don't seem to be any decent x79 boards around for a cheap price....lol.
Fair enough.

Yeah, between the coof, new tech tariff, and inflation from all the money printing everything keeps costing more man hours to buy. It probably hits guys like us the hardest since we're usually looking to upgrade to something more capable to power all the new things we want to dabble in since the last time we built a rig. I've heard tablets were up to something like $650 and phones are somewhere near $1,800 now. I'll tell you one thing, I'm glad I bought my G7 when I did. Could always be worse though, we could be looking for some 9mm xD

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
So did you end up selling all of it?

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the latest available chipset / AHCI controller drivers for the Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard? For some reason that board appears to be no longer supported on the Asus website--I see no download links for anything for it.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
Does anyone have a link to the latest available chipset / AHCI controller drivers for the Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard? For some reason that board appears to be no longer supported on the Asus website--I see no download links for anything for it.
That's because it hasn't been supported for a few years now.
Luckily some people have continued support and developed the chipsets and BIOS further. You can scroll up and back to find the latest chipset and BIOS sets that include support for PCIE NVME drives. They might be a few pages back but they are safe and they do work. These updates were made outside of Asus by reputable people and they also include the CPU patches for those vulnerabilities that came out a couple of years ago.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts

·
2,848 Posts
You can try this: ASUS_RIVBE_WHQL_WIN10_LATEST_DRIVERS_BIOS_ASUS_INFO_28APR19.zip | by EffortLess for Utilities

but definitely scroll backwards/search for the updated 1.08 BIOS with newer microcodes. 42E I think is the latest one we have for this board. I hear there are yet more new vulnerabilities...Hopefully we can get some even newer microcode updates :p
Thanks for the recommendation! I have updated to that BIOS and installed the updated Intel ME and RSTe driver, as well as the new chipset driver. Alas it did not resolve the warning message of "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued" in Event Viewer and system freezing up for 15-20 seconds after waking from sleep. Still seeing "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in the device manager, which I hoped would be updated. Already taken all the other recommended steps to resolve that issue, but no luck. Drives are healthy, everything is up to date :( Seems like some power saving option I haven't yet found to change.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
Thanks for the recommendation! I have updated to that BIOS and installed the updated Intel ME and RSTe driver, as well as the new chipset driver. Alas it did not resolve the warning message of "Reset to device, \Device\RaidPort2, was issued" in Event Viewer and system freezing up for 15-20 seconds after waking from sleep. Still seeing "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in the device manager, which I hoped would be updated. Already taken all the other recommended steps to resolve that issue, but no luck. Drives are healthy, everything is up to date :( Seems like some power saving option I haven't yet found to change.
Yeah I have noticed that troubleshooting anything with this board can be a bit difficult. Although some of the issues do sound familiar, but the fix isn't based on hardware.
What OS are you running? If Windows 10 do you have all the updates installed? I ask this because I ran into a very similar problem on the Windows help desk I help moderate. Once they installed the latest updates they had no issues.

·
2,848 Posts
Yeah I have noticed that troubleshooting anything with this board can be a bit difficult. Although some of the issues do sound familiar, but the fix isn't based on hardware.
What OS are you running? If Windows 10 do you have all the updates installed? I ask this because I ran into a very similar problem on the Windows help desk I help moderate. Once they installed the latest updates they had no issues.
I've followed all kinds of on-line advice so far to resolve it, but nothing helped so far. It's Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Followed this guide and then looked for additional options too: FIX: Reset to device \Device\RaidPort0 error in Windows 10

Step 5 on that guide: "5. Update the AHCI Driver", is what I'm a bit stuck on. I have installed all the relevant drivers from the package linked by SparkyBoy006, but not sure if those are enough. They did not solve my problem. In Device Manager the driver for "Standard SATA AHCI controller" shows the date of 2006. I don't know if there's any newer version I can get for RIVBE and where. I thought there should be some board-specific driver, but it's not present:

So with no alternative driver to try, I'm not sure if it's a controller issue or not.
  • I have all the latest Windows and driver updates I could find.
  • I have checked both drives with CrystalDiskInfo, looking at every S.M.A.R.T. parameter -- all good
  • I have downloaded and ran Samsung Magician to check the OS SSD -- all good, latest firmware (1TB 840 Evo)
  • I have done sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, chkdsk -- all good
  • I have added extra AHCI power power options settings via the registry--all set to recommended values. "AHCI Link power management" is active, Adaptive is set to 0ms), PCI Express link state power management - off
  • I have swapped both drives to other SATA ports on the motherboard just in case
  • turned off fast boot

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
I've followed all kinds of on-line advice so far to resolve it, but nothing helped so far. It's Windows 10 Pro 64-bit. Followed this guide and then looked for additional options too: FIX: Reset to device \Device\RaidPort0 error in Windows 10

Step 5 on that guide: "5. Update the AHCI Driver", is what I'm a bit stuck on. I have installed all the relevant drivers from the package linked by SparkyBoy006, but not sure if those are enough. They did not solve my problem. In Device Manager the driver for "Standard SATA AHCI controller" shows the date of 2006. I don't know if there's any newer version I can get for RIVBE and where. I thought there should be some board-specific driver, but it's not present:
So with no alternative driver to try, I'm not sure if it's a controller issue or not.
  • I have all the latest Windows and driver updates I could find.
  • I have checked both drives with CrystalDiskInfo, looking at every S.M.A.R.T. parameter -- all good
  • I have downloaded and ran Samsung Magician to check the OS SSD -- all good, latest firmware (1TB 840 Evo)
  • I have done sfc /scannow, DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth, chkdsk -- all good
  • I have added extra AHCI power power options settings via the registry--all set to recommended values. "AHCI Link power management" is active, Adaptive is set to 0ms), PCI Express link state power management - off
  • I have swapped both drives to other SATA ports on the motherboard just in case
  • turned off fast boot
Yeah, like I said troubleshooting on these boards can be a PITA and that's part of the reason I moved on to something newer.

I don't have any input or advice except to keep trying or just give in and go for a new system.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts
You can easily build a Live USB install of Windows 10 that runs directly off the drive. You can even install drivers on it. I would try this first before anything else as it will definitely prove if you have an O/S or a hardware issue. Good luck, let us know.

·
2,848 Posts
I have figured it out, and it was trivial and non-trivial.

The trivial part: it turns out after the last OS reinstall I forgot to install ASMedia controller driver, because the Asus product page for the motherboard had already stopped linking to drivers and software. That's why I was seeing "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in the device manager. After looking at which ports the OS drive was plugged into, I realized it was one of the 4 bottom 6GB/s SATA ports, which are controlled by the ASMedia controller. After installing the ASMedia SATA driver from the software package bundled with the latest unofficial BIOS, no more "Reset to device\Device\RaidPort" error.

However, I knew that ASMedia ports top out at 400MB/s, whereas my main OS drive is a 540MB/s drive. So I shifted both the HDD and the SSD to the two Intel 6GB/s ports (the two middle ones). The non-trivial part: unfortunately, while there are no event viewer errors, waking from sleep is still problematic with the Intel controller. It still takes noticeably longer to react (screens can stay black for a few seconds after waking, whereas they don't with the ASMedia controller), and still can do a few seconds' freeze after waking where nothing responds, even after the long black screen. This is with all power saving I could find set to disabled/minimum, and both with and without RSTe installed.

So I've moved everything back to the ASMedia ports. Sacrificing some SSD maximum read/write performance to better stability and reactiveness post-waking from sleep. Eventually I'll get an NVMe SSD and shift to using that for the OS drive.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts
I have figured it out, and it was trivial and non-trivial.

The trivial part: it turns out after the last OS reinstall I forgot to install ASMedia controller driver, because the Asus product page for the motherboard had already stopped linking to drivers and software. That's why I was seeing "Standard SATA AHCI Controller" in the device manager. After looking at which ports the OS drive was plugged into, I realized it was one of the 4 bottom 6GB/s SATA ports, which are controlled by the ASMedia controller. After installing the ASMedia SATA driver from the software package bundled with the latest unofficial BIOS, no more "Reset to device\Device\RaidPort" error.

However, I knew that ASMedia ports top out at 400MB/s, whereas my main OS drive is a 540MB/s drive. So I shifted both the HDD and the SSD to the two Intel 6GB/s ports (the two middle ones). The non-trivial part: unfortunately, while there are no event viewer errors, waking from sleep is still problematic with the Intel controller. It still takes noticeably longer to react (screens can stay black for a few seconds after waking, whereas they don't with the ASMedia controller), and still can do a few seconds' freeze after waking where nothing responds, even after the long black screen. This is with all power saving I could find set to disabled/minimum, and both with and without RSTe installed.

So I've moved everything back to the ASMedia ports. Sacrificing some SSD maximum read/write performance to better stability and reactiveness post-waking from sleep. Eventually I'll get an NVMe SSD and shift to using that for the OS drive.
Since you're messing with storage.. This is the perfect platform (due to the PCI-e slots and many PCI-s lanes) to use a PCI-e raid controller card. I highly recommend the LSI 9271-4i (or 8i if more than 4 drives), [trust me THAT specific model number 9271 only, there are other similar model numbers and they look identical but they are not].. You'll want to get a battery backup for it also to be able to enable the write cache. It has a 1GB DDR3 cache (so yes it is a cache controller) and loves SSD drives but works great with HDD also. They are pretty cheap now.

This is with (6) Samsung 850 PRO SSD drives in RAID 0 (I have excellent DR and everything is backed up) but you would get great performance with even 2 or 3 drives.. You can use NVMe on this board also with a PCI-e adapter but if you have SSDs already, slap in the controller and you've essentially turned your SSDs into NVMe speeds especially when the data is cached. This benchmark below is using a file size of only 256MB, so it fits will within the 1GB cache on the controller. This is why the read speeds are insane and the write speeds are extremely impressive (write cache working).

This next benchmark is using a 2GB test file so it will not fit inside the 1GB cache and would represent more raw performance in the "worst case".

·
2,848 Posts
Those are impressive!

So a final update in my saga -- I moved the drives to the two Intel controller 6GB/s slots after all, after installing an older RSTe driver recommended here for an X79 system:
"Intel RST(e) AHCI/RAID drivers & software set v13.1.0.1058 WHQL"

Now I get the best performance from the Intel controller and waking from sleep is fine. Not quite as snappy as waking from sleep when using the ASMedia controller, but good enough considering the overall better read/write performance.

Just got a deal on a Xeon E5 1680 v2 to swap out the current i7 4930k. 2 extra cores and extra cache size won't hurt, hopefully it'll be a bit better on voltages and temperatures too. To be seen. I feel pretty good about the overall system in 2021. It's got 64GB of quad-channel 2133Mhz RAM, and I can put in an NVMe SSD eventually. The main thing hurting it is, I guess, lack of something like AVX2 support for some games. But still considering the age of the system, it's holding up really well.

·
2,848 Posts
Quick question for those who have switched to NVMe drives for this motherboard--are you noticing any difference coming from good SATA drives? I have a Samsung 850 Evo 1TB in my RIVBE system, and now that I'm using the latest NVMe-compatible BIOS, I'm wondering if cloning the OS drive to a good PCIe-3.0 1TB NVMe drive will make much of a difference. From what I'm reading, it won't be something I will really notice, is that right? Should I save $100+ and not do that upgrade? My 10th gen i9 + HK Hynix P31 Gold NVMe SSD and faster DDR4 memory system does feel "snappier", but the motherboard for that system has longer loading for the BIOS and into Windows, so it's a wash. But since the parts are all different between the two, I can't compare directly.u

Edit: I guess I should just save the money:
From everything I'm reading, there won't be much of a noticeable difference between the fastest 1TB PCIe Gen 3 NVMe drive and my 1TB Samsung 850 Evo.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts
In order to boot from it you'll need a Samsung 950 PRO... one of the few NMVe drives that will boot on this board. They are a bit special. The speeds are impressive and faster than a single SSD. I don't think it will be drastic but rather noticable.

·
2,848 Posts
In order to boot from it you'll need a Samsung 950 PRO... one of the few NMVe drives that will boot on this board. They are a bit special. The speeds are impressive and faster than a single SSD. I don't think it will be drastic but rather noticable.
Thank you. Do you mean I can't just use any random NVME m.2 drive, like another SK Hynix P31 Gold NVMe? 950 Pro is pretty dated in terms of operation speeds. Is there a list of compatible NVMe drives for this motherboard somewhere?

15761 - 15780 of 15791 Posts