Overclock.net banner
15781 - 15791 of 15791 Posts

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts
Thank you. Do you mean I can't just use any random NVME m.2 drive, like another SK Hynix P31 Gold NVMe? 950 Pro is pretty dated in terms of operation speeds. Is there a list of compatible NVMe drives for this motherboard somewhere?
I think you are limited to these:

PCIe NVMe (with built-in OPROM):
Samsung 950 Pro - Bootable
Intel 750 Series- Bootable

These drives have an option rom to allow detection @ boot and when windows loads it will then use the NMVe driver. Newer drives did away with the oprom support.

Others will still work but would not be bootable.

·
2,848 Posts

These drives have an option rom to allow detection @ boot and when windows loads it will then use the NMVe driver. Newer drives did away with the oprom support.

Very useful, thanks!

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts

That is not true. I used a 970 Evo NVME drive as a boot drive on my RIVBE. In fact there were several others that had used different drives that seemed to work fine.
Very useful, thanks!
Read above. I used a 970 EVO just fine as a boot drive. Also note that I did notice a difference in boot times coming from an SSD to the 970 EVO NVME drive. When I checked Task Manager for bios boot time, it was about 10 seconds faster in the bios. I couldn't tell you the exact difference in boot times all the way into windows but it was noticeably quicker for me, and I have a lot of apps that start with windows on my machine.

·
Registered
141 Posts
have in mind ,in order newer nvme ssds be able boot you need a custom bios not the one from asus website.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
have in mind ,in order newer nvme ssds be able boot you need a custom bios not the one from asus website.
Yes, that's what most in this forum have. There is a custom bios a few pages (or more) back, and it has the micro codes fix.

·
2,848 Posts
Yes, that's what most in this forum have. There is a custom bios a few pages (or more) back, and it has the micro codes fix.
Thank you, I do have the custom BIOS that supports NVMe SSDs. Does this mean I can get a standard modern NVMe drive, like an SK Hynix P31 Gold?

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
Thank you, I do have the custom BIOS that supports NVMe SSDs. Does this mean I can get a standard modern NVMe drive, like an SK Hynix P31 Gold?
I believe so. I had no issues whatsoever when I used my 970 evo to boot off of on my RIVBE.

• Rep+
Reactions: ElevenEleven

·
2,848 Posts
Which TPM 2.0 module should be compatible with this motherboard and a Xeon E5 1680 V2 processor? Can't find a 20-1 pin Asus module in stock anywhere, did find a Gigabyte version for preorder. I see there are a bunch of Supermicro models, but a site I was looking at specifies that those are compatible with various specific CPU ranges.

Edit: well nevermind, I guess there's a hard-cut off for the CPU too. Looks like that system won't be eligible for Win 11.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Edit: well nevermind, I guess there's a hard-cut off for the CPU too. Looks like that system won't be eligible for Win 11.
We shall see if they relax this, ive seen various workarounds to get sandybridge CPU's running 11, so perhaps it will just be unofficial but still working. Id hate to have to retire this setup!

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,663 Posts
We shall see if they relax this, ive seen various workarounds to get sandybridge CPU's running 11, so perhaps it will just be unofficial but still working. Id hate to have to retire this setup!
Well the board is almost 10 years old. Maybe it is time for retirement.

·
Maximum_Unleashed
3,920 Posts
I installed the leaked copy without issue in a VM... and there is no TPM 2.0 support on the platform running ESXi... If there is some kind of exception for a VM this means we could likely use it (or hack it) for bare metal also.

15781 - 15791 of 15791 Posts