·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Product Electronic instrument Gadget Font Output device

SP MC:

MC SP
--------------------------------------

• Tests the MC solely, without touching the DRAM (you can even remove the dram while its testing) , same mc on different boards/dimms should give similar score
  • Tests the FMax of an MC at a fixed low SA voltage. In the same way you test a core's fmax at a low voltage idling.
  • Since there is an element of luck when testing FMax like you would when running for a cpuz record, the outcome will not be 100% the same everytime and score will shift a little.
  • Temperature affects FMax but the effect is weighted and the maximum package temperature during the training is taken into account to generate an unbiased score.

there is a strong co-relation between MC FMax and DRAM OC just like Core FMax with Core Cinebench Freq.

a sample from a not so good board , no so good dram at 1.4v by a not so good overclocker (me!):
Rectangle Font Material property Pattern Parallel

in other words, all things remaining the same, there is a high probability that a higher mc sp will net a higher dram oc.
Test bioses:

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)

·
Registered
3,538 Posts
looking for reverse polarity caps..... gimme a sec :unsure:

·
Registered
814 Posts
Z270 was really Rip-Off... and i had that Apex too, completely useless for me since Coffee Lake would not run on it.

i been so mad about it that i went HEDT for the first time after S1366.

let's praise Jim Keller for donating a new architecture to AMD.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Off topic stops here :)
‐---------------------------------

·
Registered
45 Posts
I was thinking the Z790 Apex was going to have Gen Z.2 card next to DIMM slots, like Crosshair X670E Extreme.

Seems to be more distance between DIMM slots and riser card slot on X670E board, which I believe is E-ATX,..

and the Gen Z.2 card cooling solution heat pipe goes up to latch,.. which would cover over the post code display on the OP photo board. :unsure:

Building Audio equipment Font Technology Electronic device

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
To be fair I hated the DIMM.2 on anything as it was blocking most if not all of the airflow for the RAM that really needs it when OC'd...
By the way I wonder why only EVGA is placing the DIMM slots in "DFI style" above the socket?
Dimm.2 is the best m.2 solution on any motherboards for me. I used the same dimm.2 since x299 Apex and z390 gene?
Easy to swap, and space for 2x m.2 ssd's. Good cooling on them too. I tend to use watercooling on the ram dimms, so cooling on dimms is no problem anyway. Even on aircooling, there is no problem cooling the memory with a direct fan over the dimms.

·
Registered
4,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

• Rep+
Reactions: Telstar

·
Facepalm
11,386 Posts
Dimm.2 is the best m.2 solution on any motherboards for me. I used the same dimm.2 since x299 Apex and z390 gene?
Easy to swap, and space for 2x m.2 ssd's. Good cooling on them too. I tend to use watercooling on the ram dimms, so cooling on dimms is no problem anyway. Even on aircooling, there is no problem cooling the memory with a direct fan over the dimms.
Have to agree, and the dimm.2 doesn't take up video card PCIE lanes either.. And anyone complaining about memory cooling blocked by dimm.2 hasn't used the ALSEYE RAM cooler modded with 2x Noctua fans (requires some work to get them in, but even the unmodded unit works well too).

• Rep+
Reactions: Gking62 and Nizzen
1 - 20 of 1068 Posts