Overclock.net banner

1781 - 1797 of 1797 Posts

·
⤷ αC
11,239 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by espn View Post

Any comment for the recent Crucial SSD?
It's (MX300) a good deal when it is cheap. If it is as expensive as an 850 Evo or other faster drive the things going for it are power use in sleep and partial power loss protection (not full , the capacitors provide minimal protection). The 750GB and 1TB are decent iterations, the 525GB is iffy due to pricing, the 275GB not so much (other manufacturers' 240 and 250GB versions have 500MB/s read these days).

At ~ $160-170 the 750GB was a deal, the black Friday pricing of $100-130 was a steal.

It should have been named the BX300.

·
Banned
1,986 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaC View Post

It's (MX300) a good deal when it is cheap. If it is as expensive as an 850 Evo or other faster drive the things going for it are power use in sleep and partial power loss protection (not full , the capacitors provide minimal protection). The 750GB and 1TB are decent iterations, the 525GB is iffy due to pricing, the 275GB not so much (other manufacturers' 240 and 250GB versions have 500MB/s read these days).

At ~ $160-170 the 750GB was a deal, the black Friday pricing of $100-130 was a steal.

It should have been named the BX300.
yeah the line up names are very not clear.

·
Registered
845 Posts
MX300 seems to be a step back by using TLC NAND. I would expect TLC from their BX line, but not their mainstream MX lineup. Really hoping Micron wake up and bring back MLC for their mainstream line.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a Crucial M4 that appears to be on it's way out. Here's a screenshot of Crystal Disk Info.

What happens when it gets down to 0%? Will the drive stop working? It used to be 100% about 6 months ago. I wouldn't have thought after years of it being at 100% it would go down this quickly. I'm assuming something ix writing to it often per day, but I'm not sure what. Is there any program to find out how much data has been written to it? or is the drive too old? Can you find out how much data has been written to an SSD?

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Hey guys, I've got a Crucial M4 that appears to be on it's way out. Here's a screenshot of Crystal Disk Info.

What happens when it gets down to 0%? Will the drive stop working? It used to be 100% about 6 months ago. I wouldn't have thought after years of it being at 100% it would go down this quickly. I'm assuming something ix writing to it often per day, but I'm not sure what. Is there any program to find out how much data has been written to it? or is the drive too old? Can you find out how much data has been written to an SSD?
Looks like your SSD is on its way out. My friend's SSD was doing the same thing. It was at like 97% for like 4 years... and then all of sudden it dropped to like 20% (he ended up replacing it for a new SSD). Anyway not sure what's happening with your SSD but if you want to simply check how the SSD is doing or how much work/load it's doing then.. the easiest way would be just open the Task Manager, Performance Tab and it shows CPU/Memory/GPU/All the HDD's/SSD/s. It will show you if for some unknown reason your SSD is writing/reading anything when it shouldn't be (when you're doing nothing on your PC). My drives pretty much stay at 0%-2% max even if I'm just using a browser or even watching youtube videos. So your SSD shouldn't really be active unless something fishy is going on with it.
On the other hand it could just be a software error? I have a Crucial M500 SSD which is over 4 yrs old and it still works like new. When I used Crystal Disk to check its health.. I noticed it was at like 94% for over 3 and a half years and then all of sudden it dropped down to 82%. I checked again few weeks later and it was back at 94%... so who knows... could be a software issue. Although that give me a paranoia and I ended up buying WD Blue 3D M.2 drive and moved my OS onto it just to be safe. It's been like 3 months since that happened and my Crucial M500 still seems to work like it did when it was new.. so I really don't know what the problem is.. seems like Crystal Disk isn't the best way to check SSD's life.

·
Registered
395 Posts
What other program/s can I use other than Crystal Disk Info to check the drive's health/life?

·
Registered
209 Posts

What other program/s can I use other than Crystal Disk Info to check the drive's health/life?
It will probably continue to work after it gets down to 0% but no one knows for how long. The fact that it reached from 100->9% so fast is not a good sign. You don't have any pending sectors or failed erased counts so that's a good sign but your nand is reaching crucial's p/e count limits configured in smart.

Since your ssd is old , it doesn't provide any data on how much data has been written on it.

Other programs to check for the drive's health is hd sentinel or crucial's own utility. Although all programs read the same smart data and won't show anything different

·
Registered
395 Posts
Alright, cool, thanks. I figured it was too old to find out how much data has been written on it.

I've never tried Crucial's utility. I don't think it lists my drive as one of the ones that was supported. Would it still work?

What happens when it totally fails? Does it still work, but you can only read off of it? For example, can I copy stuff off of it after it craps out, or should I be doing that before it reaches that point? I've copied most of the stuff I need, but if I do forget something, should I be able to get it later?

Also, if it becomes read only, how would you dispose of the drive? Would I be able to delete or clear the drive still with some sort of secure erase so I don't have personal info on it?

·
Registered
395 Posts
it won't become read-only. Only intel ones do
Oh right, so it will likely fail completely and not be usable? If that is the case, I need to get my ass into gear and get something soon.

Do you guys think it's a waste of time messing around with an M.2 NVMe on the X79 platform? I've got a modified BIOS and I'd have to get a PCI-e expansion card. Do you think that is owrth it over a 2.5" SATA 3 drive?

Also, I have taken a screenshot of Hard Disk Sentinel, and if I'm understanding it correctly, it's already shown that 12GB has been written in a day. I guess I need to figure out what is doing all that writing before getting ANY new SSD.

Could it be something to do with the pagefile writing to the SSD?

Edit : What free software can I use to clone the drive which has Windows 10 on it.

Attachments

·
Registered
395 Posts
Can anyone recommend some different cloning or backup software? Are there any good free ones? If not, what's a decent one that doesn't cost too much?

I always do clean installs of Windows when required, but this time I'd like to do a backup.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Can anyone recommend some different cloning or backup software? Are there any good free ones? If not, what's a decent one that doesn't cost too much?

I always do clean installs of Windows when required, but this time I'd like to do a backup.
The most recent I've used is Macrium Reflect. I used it to clone my games HDD to the two 1GB MX300 SSDs I put the build I am working on.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Thanks. Anyone else got any other suggestions for backup and/or cloning software? I'll check out Macrium. I assume it's not a free one?

·
Overclocker in training
14,316 Posts
Hi,
Yep macrium free is good

1781 - 1797 of 1797 Posts