Overclock.net banner
34761 - 34780 of 34814 Posts

·
Registered
713 Posts
No, see the videos above, but don't follow the liquid metal application technique. When you are ready PM me and I'll walk you through it. Rockit Cool sells both the copper IHS and the direct die kit. I have the copper IHS and my direct die kit arrived this weekend.

Again, I am speaking from actual expereince. 20C improvement. +100mhz. Der8auer applied TG Conductonaut to both the die and the underside of the IHS. I used CLU and applied to only the die. I am not sure if he took his time, but it took me about 20 minutes to spread perfectly and evenly as thin as absolutely possible. I then applied thinly and evenly to the top of the IHS as well.

I did not see such an improvement to my 7700k as I did with the 10700k. Even though the 10700k uses solder, it generates so much more heat than my 7700k so it makes sense why taking care of thermals produces such a benefit in clock speed.
I recently ordered both a copper ihs upgrade kit and a direct die frame for my 10900K from rockitcool.

Got both just in case. Situation I’m running into is I already own a magnitude block and unfortunately I’m pretty positive that I can’t use it for direct die on this Asus XII extreme due to the large cpu block frame will contact the inner row of caps just to the left of the socket. Right now with the stock ihs it sits just over the caps with barely any clearance room.

So I’m waffling back n forth as to if I should just use the copper ihs lid and slap the magnitude back on. Or grab a optimus foundation block and go the direct die route. The optimus block has a smaller footprint and fully clears the caps.

What do you think the temp difference will be between copper ihs upgrade vs direct die? Not sure it’s worth it to buy a whole new cpu block.

What you think?

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
I recently ordered both a copper ihs upgrade kit and a direct die frame for my 10900K from rockitcool.

Got both just in case. Situation I’m running into is I already own a magnitude block and unfortunately I’m pretty positive that I can’t use it for direct die on this Asus XII extreme due to the large cpu block frame will contact the inner row of caps just to the left of the socket. Right now with the stock ihs it sits just over the caps with barely any clearance room.

So I’m waffling back n forth as to if I should just use the copper ihs lid and slap the magnitude back on. Or grab a optimus foundation block and go the direct die route. The optimus block has a smaller footprint and fully clears the caps.

What do you think the temp difference will be between copper ihs upgrade vs direct die? Not sure it’s worth it to buy a whole new cpu block.

What you think?
Hi,
Been said by optimus foundation doesn't have enough bow in it's cold plate to reach the bare die
Only the SigV2 does.

Mag may work but you'd have to likely whittle the mounting bracket some and use different mounting hardware.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi,
Been said by optimus foundation doesn't have enough bow in it's cold plate to reach the bare die
Only the SigV2 does.

Mag may work but you'd have to likely whittle the mounting bracket some and use different mounting hardware.
Dam. Must be pretty close tho cause I’ve seen a few peeps running a foundation on a 9900k with good results. The 10900k does have a thinner die so maybe that’s the issue. Sounds like a pretty expensive gamble. Lol.

·
Overclocker in training
14,315 Posts
Dam. Must be pretty close tho cause I’ve seen a few peeps running a foundation on a 9900k with good results. The 10900k does have a thinner die so maybe that’s the issue. Sounds like a pretty expensive gamble. Lol.
Hi,
Might just buy the direct die water block mount been floating around there are a few members here that have them atm
Think you can reach them on facebook and order one
Supercool Computer
Nice example
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by

You can see super computer on this search page second link direct link to their facebook
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Supercool+Computer+cpu+direct+die+water+block&t=ffab&ia=web

·
Registered
713 Posts
Hi,
Might just buy the direct die water block mount been floating around there are a few members here that have them atm
Think you can reach them on facebook and order one
Supercool Computer
Nice example
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/341758082/ncore-v1-naked-die-cooling-waterblock-designed-by

You can see super computer on this search page second link direct link to their facebook
https://duckduckgo.com/?q=Supercool+Computer+cpu+direct+die+water+block&t=ffab&ia=web
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7w0aNJO8gwM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0pk-_D1IFpI
Yeah I’ve seen those. It’s posted like every ten pages on the 10900k thread. If it was easier to acquire and was sold by a reputable WC store I might give it a try one day but Till then ima pass on it.

So far direct die 10900k blocks I’ve seen posts for are a magnitude on non Asus boards with no inner row of caps. Also seen a Velocity direct die on a Asus board. And a bitspower block.

Anyone out there with a direct die 10900k, mind sharing your MB and cpu block and method (rockitcool frame, naked, etc etc )

Looking for non modified block options.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I've got a CM 212 Evo, and have been looking forward to delid. But for 1g Conductnaut and 4G Artic MX-4 it costs about $33 (shipping included). Is it worth paying that high price for a 4770K? Would it not be better to use the money to buy better cooler on used market? Alternatively, does anyone know of where I can get inexpensive thermal paste and liquid metal (that's not shoddy) from AliExpress or Ebay (with free or very low international shipping)?

I'm aiming for a 4.5GHz OC. My temps has been far to high and it has been many years, so deliding seems appropriate. I have also considered maybe using non liquid metal between IHS and DIE, as a way to cut down on that high price. Issue is, no retail near me sells Coollaboratory or Conductnaut, so I am forced to buy online.

·
Premium Member
5,019 Posts
@vodkapl:

You definitely need liquid metal. You can't delid without it. You need it between the die and IHS, a normal paste is not good there. A normal paste will go bad very fast on the die, it will only last a few days.

You don't need MX-4 for use between the IHS and your cooler. You can use any thermal paste you can find cheap where you are.

·
Registered
172 Posts
@vodkapl:

You definitely need liquid metal. You can't delid without it. You need it between the die and IHS, a normal paste is not good there. A normal paste will go bad very fast on the die, it will only last a few days.

You don't need MX-4 for use between the IHS and your cooler. You can use any thermal paste you can find cheap where you are.
MX-4 is not much more than cheapest paste I could find, It's the shipping and liquid metal that's adds most to the cost. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Well I got my rocketcool delid kit and a direct die frame and a copper IHS aswell for my 10900k. I can now confirm 100% that the EK magnitude CANNOT direct die on a Asus XII Extreme due to the inner row of caps... I figured it wasnt going to work but thought i would try anyways... Pretty sure all of the Z490 Asus boards have that inner row of caps. So yeah in case anyone cares. For now I decided to just use the copper IHS. I didnt bother glue or silicone down the IHS. Just used the socket clamps to hold it in place.. Used Conductonaut between die and Rockitcool copper IHS and kryonaut on top... Overall process was easy....

Results arnt bad . Shaved 10c off max temp.... Cores still have the same 8C deltas as before delid but max is 10c cooler.. Same 2 cold cores but even cooler now.... I dunno. I feel like i applied right amount of LM. Oh well. Pretty happy with these 5.3ghz temps now... Prolly gunna just leave it at this... Dont really wana tear down again...

• Rep+
Reactions: Peter Watson

·
Rig Advisor
3,581 Posts
Yep.

• Rep+
Reactions: Robertomcat

·
Registered
81 Posts
If you order from their website it will be shipping from US.
I was asking this question mainly because I live in Spain, and I'm sure that when I send it from the United States they will apply tariffs, but I don't know for sure. Have any of you bought from the European Union?

·
Registered
105 Posts
I was asking this question mainly because I live in Spain, and I'm sure that when I send it from the United States they will apply tariffs, but I don't know for sure. Have any of you bought from the European Union?
I ordered directly from RK USA and received the package here in Italy in August so no problem for Spain.
Edit: the will apply taxes obviously, you will pay import fees to Fedex

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk

·
Registered
81 Posts
I ordered directly from RK USA and received the package here in Italy in August so no problem for Spain.
Edit: the will apply taxes obviously, you will pay import fees to Fedex

Inviato dal mio LYA-L29 utilizzando Tapatalk
And to know more or less the fees I have to pay; how much money did you spend and how many fees did you have to pay?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Hi guys, good morning.
Have any of you tried the direct die with Kryonaut or Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste?
Or is it worth to use liquid metal directly?

·
Registered
3,805 Posts
And to know more or less the fees I have to pay; how much money did you spend and how many fees did you have to pay?
Month old post, I know, but figured I'd pitch in. I'm from the Netherlands and bought the kit from rockitcool as well, was about €11.40 import tax and shipping was around €17. Got it from Texas in 6 days with fed ex express shipping option.

I got my 10900KF direct die cooled now using a EK Phoenix 280 kit (Supremacy block and mount) with Coollaboratory Liquid Ultra and it fits fine on the MSI Z490 Ace with the stock hardware. Did not have to do anything special to the mount except add the included washers.

I am at 5.3Ghz all core AVX0 4.9 cache 4400C17 memory with 1.390v vCore (VCC Sense) LLC3, IO 1.35v, SA 1.40v. Temps are sitting at 78-81c non-AVX stress test and 90-93c with full on Prime95 28.9 AVX FMA3 small FTT everything enabled so basically worst-case scenario at over 355w of power draw.

While just gaming the cores never even reach 70c which is still idle 900 RPM fan speed for my rad. Fans only ramp up above 75c.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hi guys, good morning.
Have any of you tried the direct die with Kryonaut or Kryonaut Extreme thermal paste?
Only liquid metal on direct die, paste can't transfer the heat it could kill your cpu using paste.

·
Newb to Overclock.net
4,756 Posts
Hi guys, good morning.
Most non liquid metal paste have a pump out effect that degrades thermal conductivity within days.

34761 - 34780 of 34814 Posts