Overclock.net banner
34801 - 34814 of 34814 Posts

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
A bit of advice.. When deliding 10th gen. Heat the cpu up with a heat gun or hair drier if you dont have a heat gun to help soften the solder. It makes deliding much easier and vastly reduces the risk of cracking the die.

You want to try to get the ihs up to at least 200F. If your gun doesnt have a temp sensor a cheat is once a drop of water boils on the IHS, it’s ready.
Sort of a hack to see what the temps are if you don’t have a temp gun :) Water boils at 212F which is perfect for the IHS. Anything around 200F softens it nicely and the IHS comes off with little force....

This is advice directly from James at Rockitcool And I can confirm it works well....

The relid frame guides are really only for if you are going to glue either the stock ihs or the copper upgraded ihs back on... One frame for the stock ish and one frame for the upgraded copper ihs. Thats why its saying the one will not work with the other. The foot print is slightly different. But honestly if I were you I wouldnt bother gluing the ihs back on. Once delided and you have cleaned off the excess solder from the die and prepped the cpu, apply the liquid metal and then set the cpu in the socket. Then carefully set the IHS on the cpu in the center then clamp down the socket cpu bracket. The motherboard cpu clamp bracket will hold the IHS in place no problem. Also makes redoing the liquid metal very easy. Again. Only reason I personally would glue the ihs back on is if I was selling the cpu to someone else and they are not comfortable with something like that.

Oh yeah and dont forget to cover the little contacts on the top of the cpu beside the die with some nail polish or liquid electrical tape.... You dont want any liquid metal seepage to touch them and short your cpu :)

Good Luck.
This is what i did with my 3770k, cpu clamped, It been many years since I delidded it, I haven't changed the liquid metal or the Tim since 2014/15. temps are great, [email protected]

Nail polish sounds like a cool trick. I did not do that with my 3770k, its bare.

·
Registered
713 Posts
This is what i did with my 3770k, cpu clamped, It been many years since I delidded it, I haven't changed the liquid metal or the Tim since 2014/15. temps are great, [email protected]

Nail polish sounds like a cool trick. I did not do that with my 3770k, its bare.
I dont think the 3770K had and contacts on the top of the cpu. You will notice them when you delid a 10th gen tho. Make sure you cover them..

Yeah just cpu clamp it again and dont worry about the relid frame guides. You really dont need them like I said unless you want to glue the cpu ihs back on perfectly strait like from the factory.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I dont think the 3770K had and contacts on the top of the cpu. You will notice them when you delid a 10th gen tho. Make sure you cover them..

Yeah just cpu clamp it again and dont worry about the relid frame guides. You really dont need them like I said unless you want to glue the cpu ihs back on perfectly strait like from the factory.
nail polish like revlon or any brand?

·
Registered
713 Posts
nail polish like revlon or any brand?
I cant really recommend a particular nail polish cause I actually prefer to use
Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape
Reason I like it over nail polish is its much easier to remove if want. It literally will just peel off if you want. Nail polish take chemicals to remove.

Also Thermal grizzly sells stuff just for this but is basically red nail polish and is kinda expensive but its called Thermal Grizzly TG Shield if you want to check it out.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
I cant really recommend a particular nail polish cause I actually prefer to use
Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape
Reason I like it over nail polish is its much easier to remove if want. It literally will just peel off if you want. Nail polish take chemicals to remove.

Also Thermal grizzly sells stuff just for this but is basically red nail polish and is kinda expensive but its called Thermal Grizzly TG Shield if you want to check it out.
Wouldn't you want to protect it all the time? Even after you lay down the IHS.

Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape i'll take that into account.

·
Registered
713 Posts
Wouldn't you want to protect it all the time? Even after you lay down the IHS.

Permatex Liquid Electrical Tape i'll take that into account.
Not sure what you mean or are asking. You can use either. They will both cover and protect from electrical shorts. I just prefer to use the liquid electrical tape cause its easier to remove. IF I wanted to... I use it for other stuff too. Ive used it to coat around laptop cpu sockets to apply liquid metal on them. And if I ever needed to return it to stock to send for rma or what ever. The stuff just peels off... Nail polish would require chemicals to remove it.... Thats all im saying. Will you ever have to remove it. Who knows. Probably not... I just like having the easier option...

Example of a laptop cpu socket i coated.... You can see the black liquid tape covering the stuff around the die.... That stuff will just peel off if i want to remove it for what ever reason...

• Rep+
Reactions: HITTI

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Not sure what you mean or are asking. You can use either. They will both cover and protect from electrical shorts. I just prefer to use the liquid electrical tape cause its easier to remove. IF I wanted to... I use it for other stuff too. Ive used it to coat around laptop cpu sockets to apply liquid metal on them. And if I ever needed to return it to stock to send for rma or what ever. The stuff just peels off... Nail polish would require chemicals to remove it.... Thats all im saying. Will you ever have to remove it. Who knows. Probably not... I just like having the easier option...

Example of a laptop cpu socket i coated.... You can see the black liquid tape covering the stuff around the die.... That stuff will just peel off if i want to remove it for what ever reason...
View attachment 2514008
The liquid tape will not melt under heavy CPU load?

·
Registered
713 Posts
The liquid tape will not melt under heavy CPU load?
Temperature range: -50°C to 135°C

if your cpu socket is hotter then 135c. You gunna have problems anyways. :) lol.

• Rep+
Reactions: HITTI

·
Registered
234 Posts
Just a heads up about the MSI Z590-I Unify (dont know if it affects other MSI Z590 boards). There is a tiny capacitor below the bottom of the socket that prevents the RockIt Direct Die mount from sitting flush to the motherboard. It pushes it up just enough that the CPU doesnt make even contact on the socket and it fails to boot. I ended up grinding down the whole of the mount behind the screw on the bottom border to fit the capacitor and fit flat.

Took me like 3 hours of debugging to come to this solution :(

• Rep+
Reactions: deepor

·
Registered
713 Posts
Just a heads up about the MSI Z590-I Unify (dont know if it affects other MSI Z590 boards). There is a tiny capacitor below the bottom of the socket that prevents the RockIt Direct Die mount from sitting flush to the motherboard. It pushes it up just enough that the CPU doesnt make even contact on the socket and it fails to boot. I ended up grinding down the whole of the mount behind the screw on the bottom border to fit the capacitor and fit flat.

Took me like 3 hours of debugging to come to this solution :(
Got any pics?

• Rep+
Reactions: deepor

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,037 Posts
anyone go direct die with a Liquid Freezer 2 on 10th Gen? does the RockitCool kit come with the needed hardware?

One of the reviews for it said they never got the hardware for their LF2 and had to buy it separate, really would like to buy everything I need to do it in one go.

I already emailed them twice and haven't gotten an answer :(

·
Registered
713 Posts
34801 - 34814 of 34814 Posts