Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 3080 Posts

·
Registered
391 Posts
Hey guys just got my U2713HM this week and it seems like most people are getting a lot of backlight bleeding with this model, particularly in the bottom left corner. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue with mine but the one I received (Feb 2013 manufacture date) has the same issue. I already got an RMA monitor sent to me and it has the exact same issue except it's even worse and obviously refurbished (monitor stand is a little scratched up and manufacture date of Sept 2012).

It's pretty noticeable when watching a movie/playing a game with dark scenes. Am I being too nitpicky or should I just make a full return? I'm honestly considering the Asus PB278Q at this point...

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikthus View Post

Hey guys just got my U2713HM this week and it seems like most people are getting a lot of backlight bleeding with this model, particularly in the bottom left corner. I was hoping it wouldn't be an issue with mine but the one I received (Feb 2013 manufacture date) has the same issue. I already got an RMA monitor sent to me and it has the exact same issue except it's even worse and obviously refurbished (monitor stand is a little scratched up and manufacture date of Sept 2012).

It's pretty noticeable when watching a movie/playing a game with dark scenes. Am I being too nitpicky or should I just make a full return? I'm honestly considering the Asus PB278Q at this point...
Turn down the brightness to about 50%, it should make it much less noticeable or not noticeable at all. The PB278Q also has backlight bleeding issues and a higher chance of getting dead pixels so I wouldn't go that route. Did you RMA through Dell or the retailer you bought it from?

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Quote:

I would like to see a picture of the black back ground screen with 100% brightness 75% contrast. A second picture with 30% brightness and 75% contrast. If you'd like for us to judge that for you.

I guess it depends if you see a lot of back light bleed when you're watching movies or game. If it's noticeable return.

Are you sure you're not seeing IPS glow? Technically if you're not happy, return it. All monitors have done issue or another. I'm trying the U2713HM because the PB278Q I got last week has either a dead pixel or dust spot almost ceneter screen. No back light bleed minimal IPS glow.

The U2713HM has to fair better. Worse of the two goes back.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I already had the brightness set to 20 in the OSD menu before even checking for backlight bleed and when I set it to 100 it's very noticeable. Just loaded up The Dark Knight Rises and in the night scenes you very easily see the yellow glow coming from the corner. The anti-glare coating on my U2711 made text unpleasant to read for long periods of time which is the main reason I bought this but apart from that it had no issues like this.

Here are some pictures I took. Sorry about the quality, I'm not sure why it looks so bright. The first two are at 20% and the last one is at 100% brightness.

IMG_0637.JPG 227k .JPG file

IMG_0638.JPG 262k .JPG file

IMG_0639.JPG 258k .JPG file

Attachments

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Quote:

I already had the brightness set to 20 in the OSD menu before even checking for backlight bleed and when I set it to 100 it's very noticeable. Just loaded up The Dark Knight Rises and in the night scenes you very easily see the yellow glow coming from the corner.

Here are some pictures I took. Sorry about the quality, I'm not sure why it looks so bright. The first two are at 20% and the last one is at 100% brightness .

IMG_0637.JPG 227k .JPG file

IMG_0638.JPG 262k .JPG file

IMG_0639.JPG 258k .JPG file
That's ridiculously bad, never seen anything like it
tongue.gif

At 100% I can barely notice it on mine. I'd definitely RMA it again, sucks that you've had two bad ones.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM95 View Post

That's ridiculously bad, never seen anything like it
tongue.gif

At 100% I can barely notice it on mine. I'd definitely RMA it again, sucks that you've had two bad ones.
Looking at it with my own eyes I can only notice it being really bad at the bottom left corner where there's a large yellow glow, at 100% I can see the glow come up from the top left.

It's weird that camera makes it looks 100x worse than it actually is though..
laughingsmiley.gif

I'm definitely going to RMA both, but I feel like I'm playing the lottery at this point. I read through the Hardforum thread on this monitor as well and it seems to be a very common issue but I figured it was because people tend to post more when they have problems than those who don't.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #48 ·
Quote:

Looking at it with my own eyes I can only notice it being really bad at the bottom left corner where there's a large yellow glow, at 100% I can see the glow come up from the top left.

laughingsmiley.gif

I'm definitely going to RMA both, but I feel like I'm playing the lottery at this point. I read through the Hardforum thread on this monitor as well and it seems to be a very common issue but I figured it was because people tend to post more when they have problems than those who don't.
It is the most common issue with this monitor but don't let it put you off. There's still a much higher chance of getting a perfect monitor than there is getting one with problems.

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Quote:

laughingsmiley.gif

Sorry the luck your having. Your also right about those with good monitors tend not to post as the more vocal upset consumer. Here at OCN we show off no back light bleed with pride.
biggrin.gif
We also meticulously point out dead or bright pixels out for all to see too though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by LilBuckz View Post

Mine already delivered, it has been tough to not leave work to go home and get it setup.
How funny.....me and you both today.
tongue.gif

·
Registered
564 Posts
The yellow in the lower left corner isn't backlight bleed; it is actually IPS glow. If you put pressure on the frame of the monitor to flex it (lightly), the yellow will change location entirely (and likely be all over the screen). It has to do with how the panel is installed in the enclosure; it appears that it is under some sort of pressure that results in that color IPS glow in the lower left corner. If you look at the panel from below, it shouldn't appear to be yellow in the same place.

Regardless of what the yellow actually is, it can be fairly annoying. Dell is sending me out a new one no questions asked for the same issue, so hopefully it will fare better. My old U2211h had IPS glow, but it was purple/blue and fairly normalized across the entire display so it wasn't as noticeable.

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Does the U2713HM require drivers? Came with a driver CD.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nah, it does however simplify the process of configuring it, seeing as you can configure the monitor from your desktop (in Windows etc.) instead of using the monitor buttons.

Edit: Typo...

·
Retired Moderation
10,698 Posts
Any good custom user settings? What preset do you guys run movies and games?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Yup it works right out of the box. The only thing you might need the driver DVD for is the USB hub but I'm pretty sure it's just a generic driver for that as well.

I just got off the phone with Dell and they're sending me a brand new unit so I have my fingers crossed
biggrin.gif

Even though Dell seems to be having some major QC issues with this monitor their support is second to none. I was considering one of the Korean monitors but having to potentially deal with defects/returns just stresses me out thinking about it lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

Standard mode seems find for most things but give the "Multimedia" preset a try for movies and games. Made BF3 so much richer in color, I didn't even realize how much blue tint the game had..

·
Call me VSG
12,870 Posts
Hey guys, long time lurker here. I saw the deal on this monitor 2 days ago, used a dell gift card I had and placed an order. The monitor was supposed to be delivered today but I got an order delayed email with a revised delivery date now of April 15. I am hoping they are doing something about the backlight bleed on this monitor.

·
Registered
564 Posts
The sRGB setting on the monitor is factory calibrated, so if you want color accuracy that is the best option. I personally use the sRGB setting along with the icc profile from tftcentral and it looks most natural to me. Game mode seems to force the dynamic contrast on, which looks kind of stupid (it raises the brightness in bright scenes and lowers it in dark scenes, which does nothing for the actual contrast at any given frame but does annoy your eyes when playing in a dark room).

The movie setting lets you turn the dynamic contrast on or off, and seems to force sharpness to 100%.

Standard mode is almost the same as sRGB mode.

·
Registered
2,444 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arizonian View Post

For the time being i have my ones setup as. sRGB and brightness to 45, contrast to 75 but both of my monitors are a bit different. One is warm and the other is cold. But i will be buying a color calibration tool. Once i do i'll post both monitor icc profile. And hopefully this should help people with a warm screen or a cold screen monitor

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by senna89 View Post

anyone dont notice the high input lag ?
No, not at all. The input lag is 22.2ms which really isn't noticeable.

41 - 60 of 3080 Posts