Overclock.net banner

441 - 460 of 762 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Hi,
Yeah figured the dark side of the moon was no where near USA
Otherwise you'd likely be Optimus foundation ultra flat bound at a third of the cost and better performance as well :thumb:

https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1733810-optimus-waterblock-266.html#post28388126
Yes the Optimus is interesting.......meanwhile, I still can't believe all the trouble I went through with the direct die frame and the crappy performance I got from it vs using the IHS........damn! I did not even try it all these months......even my Velocity with the "thinned" jet plate performs nicely now and I am slowly testing core by core @ 4.9Ghz now......

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts
Yes the Optimus is interesting.......meanwhile, I still can't believe all the trouble I went through with the direct die frame and the crappy performance I got from it vs using the IHS........damn! I did not even try it all these months......even my Velocity with the "thinned" jet plate performs nicely now and I am slowly testing core by core @ 4.9Ghz now......
Hi,
Think the Ice man was the better direct frame is that the one you use ?
I ordered one long ago it never showed up aliexpress crap site
I had to go to credit card to repo the funds worked but they sided with the fraud seller.

·
Old and Decrepit
1,409 Posts
Hi,
I had to go to credit card to repo the funds worked but they sided with the fraud seller.
I dont trust Aliexpress. Too many horror stories of exactly what you have described. If its a charge back and you gave them a the CC info you cant really charge for fraud but any CC card that wont do jack for a company like that which Im sure there are plenty of reports on they should at least have to prove shipping.

Heres another outlet to report them

https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/#crnt&panel1-1

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ok, so been looking over this thread for the past 2 weeks. Ready to purchase a waterblock from someone, from what I am gathering I should just get a Optimus?

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Hi,
No I used the Der8auer frame (the German).....but the problem is the convexity of the die and liquid metal not standing still......the IHS seems "hugs" the die better......that's why I get so much better temps......that and I also reduced the thickness of the jet plate so it pushes the base of the block less when tightened.....well it works now with the Velocity.....let's see what clocks I can get out the old dog - the 7940X!

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts
Ok, so been looking over this thread for the past 2 weeks. Ready to purchase a waterblock from someone, from what I am gathering I should just get a Optimus?
Hi,
I've tried to make testing as simple as possible to see side by side results and which one does better on 2066 socket
Out of the box optimus foundation wins by 4c cooler at 4.8 all core 1.25v

Foundation is a beautiful block too back plate is mirror finish so if you're in the USA it's an obvious value at 120.us

Cheapest magnitude I've noticed is maybe black acetal at 210.us and is pretty rough surface "milling marks"
Also the cold plate is rough ribbed bullseye and the nickle cold plate is the same I even polished the cold plate and the acetal top just for kicks

Magnitude nickle top or plexi top prices go up even more than 210.us base.

Attachments

·
Old and Decrepit
1,409 Posts
You should buy whichever your heart desires. I’ve extensively tested both top of the line models out of the box without any modifications other than different TIM and application methods and totally taking the Optimus springs out of the equation as they just made matters worse. In the end they both perform on par with one another. They both are a PITA to get a good mount with. After achieving optimal mounts with both on the same system, same settings they perform within 1C of each other. I have both unmodified. Lesson one, you can’t even think about a a temperature test with a long duration test by slapping TIM on a and doing a run. It’s at least 24 hours and several heat up and cool down cycles with retorquing mounts and waiting a day then make your runs. Once you have modified the block from the factory state it’s not longer their block it’s your modified block. It’s great if you can mess around and Mcgyver performance changes, sometime better and sometimes worse. In the end once it’s modified any data is useless as a manufacturer comparison as it’s no longer manufacturer specification. The only statements that can be made are referenced purely as a modified class. Same in car racing or right out of the factory cars. You can’t pull the small block engine and put a 572 with a blower or twin turbos in it and call it a comparison. You can’t so much as shave or polish and port heads and call it even.

Either way buy whichever you want as they are competitive in thermals as designed by their respective manufacturers. Or take the modified advice and send your block to the modifier to be modified in the exact same fashion as they have modified theirs if they can reproduce it exactly as they are very different comparisons.

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts
Hi,
Pretty silly to pay more even if you think it's the same performance which it isn't
Foundation is superior period if you don't think so ask or buy one only 120.us and see for your self Justin.

·
Registered
413 Posts
I like to save money so I guess it's a no brainer then.

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
Between the two I like the looks of the Plexi / Nickel Magnitude with D-RGBs more........other than that I don't like the non-polished cold plate and the fact that I can't choose to get a flat base and have to buy it separately only to throw it in the same box with the Monoblock for the REVI...

How on earth did they decide that the cold plate should be convex when convex is the IHS as well........unless I am missing something, are there HEDT Intel Chips with concave IHSs?

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts
Hi,
Performance pc pricing 115x costs more I believe for ek I only show 2066 socket

Attachments

·
Old and Decrepit
1,409 Posts
Between the two I like the looks of the Plexi / Nickel Magnitude with D-RGBs more........other than that I don't like the non-polished cold plate and the fact that I can't choose to get a flat base and have to buy it separately only to throw it in the same box with the Monoblock for the REVI...

How on earth did they decide that the cold plate should be convex when convex is the IHS as well........unless I am missing something, are there HEDT Intel Chips with concave IHSs?
IHS is concave with the corners higher than the center. Just wish everything would go back to bare die flat like the old days.

I go solid because it has no flex.

·
Lab Rat
14 Posts
All the Intel HEDT chips I have ever tested were concave, just as Justin is saying.. There is some variance to them though, and I've heard of convex ones as well.. Then go about making a block that will fit every chip out there perfectly to make everybody happy if you can.. :doh:

·
Premium Member
683 Posts
IHS is concave with the corners higher than the center. Just wish everything would go back to bare die flat like the old days.

I go solid because it has no flex.
All the Intel HEDT chips I have ever tested were concave, just as Justin is saying.. There is some variance to them though, and I've heard of convex ones as well.. Then go about making a block that will fit every chip out there perfectly to make everybody happy if you can.. :doh:
Well I am talking about mine and obviously I have a unicorn! lol!

My bare die was convex and that's why direct die would never work since LM is to thin to fill the gaps in the corners or it would run away and pool (it happened)......and same for my IHS.........placing a flat object on it makes it apparent (wiggle)........anyway, it's working now.

·
Old and Decrepit
1,409 Posts
Hi,
It really is
Justin has not tried a foundation and is too suborn to maybe.
Your being a bit disrespectful dude, you act as if you are authority on watercooling, I have some really bad news for you. The second you modified anything you disqualified any of you data from testing as they are no longer Optimus or EKWB blocks, they are modified Thrash blocks as they no longer meet the specs of their respective manufacturers. If your foundation is so golden and hasn’t been changed then send it to me as is to prove you wrong, it’s only $120 right? My bet is my chip IHS curvature is not the same as yours. If I test it and it proves better I’ll eat crow and send it back regardless as I’m not into the plastics. From what I’ve seen you’ve not posted and max core temps lower than mine. As for core spread I have 4 cold cores. I see that as an advantage as I can leave what’s run if 75-80C as is and jack the cold cores or on up to 5GHz and leave them there.

What is really disrespectful/unethical is continually posting more about Optimus in the EK thread than in the Optimus thread. I said from the beginning of not declare a winner but post my results from each. My best run out of all it them as I ran exactly the same benches on unmodified blocks just happened be the Magnitude full nickel by 1C but I don’t call that a performance winner, it’s close enough. They both performed the same pretty much. 80C max core after many hours of testing one after the other with enough time for the liquid and components to cool in between for more than one or two runs before deciding I was gonna modify it. Don’t care what you are running your TIM, with the exception of liquid metal, is not going to perform at its optimal level for at least 24 hours. That’s something else I’ve seen consistently. If I went off of the first tests without giving them time to cure I’d still be running the HKIV Pro block which is where we differed again. You run the plastics and I run all metal.

If you are going to argue cost then there are other blocks on the market within a few C performance wise that are much cheaper. One can also run core two duo.

If it’s performance per $$ we are talking about all these are a losing proposition and those worried about every cent spent would do better with an XPSC ray storm NEO and anyone who doesn’t use HEDT for its intended use can save a massive chunk of change going with the much cheaper Ryzen gen 2 chips or a 9900k intel and run a $70 block on it.

IMO looking worrying about water block costs after you dumped $1300 on a CPU is like putting bicycle tires on a Dodge Charger SRT Hellcat.

The only thing we can agree on here is the WK costs is above the market average by a pretty good bit. Does it command this cost has yet to be seen. It’s not being mass produced as of yet AMD they are selling very well.

What’s different? In a nutshell modularity and customization (not sanding down cold plates and shaving baskets). While the frame and top remain the same the idea is that one can change by replacing components within the system instead of buying another block. This however is yet to be seen as I’ve not seen anything offered up separately for sale other than flat cold plates and accent rings.

There is one more variable to test and that’s coming soon and still zero modifications to factory specs and that’s going with the Magnitide on a chip first instead of the Optimus. A very good conversation that came up was with Optimus having probably the night mounting pressure on the market did running that on an IHS for over a month have an effect on the shape of the IHS? I’m not going to buy a new chip but throw a reall challenge at them being a 7900X that has seen neither block but go with the Magnitude first to either prove or dispel this variation.

I’m still in testing out of the box for intended specifications instead of jumping to modifications and disqualifying any data for consideration.

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,071 Posts
The second you modified anything you disqualified any of you data from testing as they are no longer Optimus or EKWB blocks, they are modified Thrash blocks as they no longer meet the specs of their respective manufacturers.
I happen to agree with you on this point. These are $200+ blocks. The testing should be out of the box, as that is how 99% of users will have them installed. And...at this price point, if it has issues, that needs to be shown in the out of the box tests.

However.....I have great appreciation for what @ThrashZone is doing, especially as it is in the spirit of the original OCN (you know....back before it became argeebeeN....and users where actually experimenting for performance gains and not how to cram more lights into a fan). He's also doing a really thorough job of noting the out of the box deficiencies. But, the mod info should be noted in these threads, not emphasized, and be put into a separate thread specifically about mods on these blocks.

Just my two cents. Carry on, nothing to see here..... ;)

·
Old and Decrepit
1,409 Posts
I happen to agree with you on this point. These are $200+ blocks. The testing should be out of the box, as that is how 99% of users will have them installed. And...at this price point, if it has issues, that needs to be shown in the out of the box tests.

However.....I have great appreciation for what @ThrashZone is doing, especially as it is in the spirit of the original OCN (you know....back before it became argeebeeN....and users where actually experimenting for performance gains and not how to cram more lights into a fan). He's also doing a really thorough job of noting the out of the box deficiencies. But, the mod info should be noted in these threads, not emphasized, and be put into a separate thread specifically about mods on these blocks.

Just my two cents. Carry on, nothing to see here..... ;)
Yeah I don’t have a problem with his modifying to suit his rig. Thing is it’s likely only applicable to his rig. Often the blocks with some flex will give better results on deformed IHS. But yeah, knock yourself out and have fun with it.

We have the same 9940X just different MOBOs but both ASUS mounts.
The only deficiency I’ve noted on the two blocks are mounts. Optimus I had to can the springs before there were springless mounts and had to crank down on the Magnitude but don’t know it that’s due to the following point.

As stated though one more to come and that’s a comparison of a 7900X using the Magnitude first. Then the Optimus then the magnitude again to see if the Optimus mounting pressure is making it difficult to get good contact with a magnitude after the fact. This was brought up in a discussion with OEM.

I’m not dispelling it but not confirming until I’ve done this comparison. My interest is in providing feedback to OEMs for improvements. This can’t be done with modified blocks. They have a different platform and brought up another variable, mounts on different manufacturers MOBOs. I don’t have a different brand X299 to check this. There are others from across the globe whose results cannot be seen here. Wish I had access to that information.

In the end after I’m done running them though the wringer as out of the box blocks I may take the same approach as Thrash but not at this point in time. I do have a few cold cores but that’s been the same across 3 different blocks and I’m certain it’s Chip specific. If I can keep the hottest at 80C then later I can go back and do by the core OC and jack up the cold cores 100-200MHz to flatten that right out and get a performance gain at the same time.

·
Overclocker in training
12,861 Posts
Hi,
Bad memories
I stated many times out of the box magnitudes were a total failure maybe one more time will help ?
93c on the first render = FAIL !!!

If anything I leaned in favor of ek showing with a better mounting system just like optimus mount it does better.
Even ek is testing a springless mount last I was messaged :p

I've showed side by side comparisons tweaked or not still more helpful than just words
You have not Justin you just say within 1c without showing any evidence except your word ?
Also you ran optimus sigV2 classroom loops for 1 hour and ek mag 30 minute so yeah that's fair lol thought you were going to do the exact same test ?

Tweaked mount or not at least mine people can see on one screen shot which block did best 4.5-4.8 on the same test.
Foundation bud no tweaks just works !!!!

Heck sigV2 tweak is same as foundation now just does better beyond 4.8 which there was no point in showing mag already is at 91c so game over foundation wins.
Tweak is also same as if there was a shim to change it's not like nobody has ever lapped a water block before around here lol it's like normal things to do now days :)

Attachments

441 - 460 of 762 Posts