Overclock.net banner

781 - 800 of 800 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
I’ve been thinking the Foundation may have different properties although they are the exact same cold plate. The Sig V2 is a massive chunk of nickel plated brass, all one piece with a cold plate screwed in the bottom where the foundation has an aluminum frame, a chunk of acrylic bolted to that and the cold plate screwed to the bottom. I’m thinking it may have more give when you crank it down than the Sig V2 which may not be a bad thing allowing the cold plate to mold to the IHS a little better. Nothing proven. Just a thought I had reflecting on when Thrash and I were going head to head with the two blocks. I only wish he had waited a bit and finished testing as is out of the box before breaking out the cutting torch and side grinder.
I have no doubt that the Foundation has more flex than the V2. I'm going to switch to a Magnitude or Foundation I think. What's another block in my collection? LOL

I mean it's a long shot and I have no idea how much brass expands and contracts but is it possible that it is just becoming loose from expansion and contraction? lol
I don't think the block gets that hot to make expansion/contraction that much of an issue. The issue, IMO, lies in the springless mount. It is VERY easy to apply uneven pressure to the 4 corners when screwing down the block. Either having springs or "stops" on the posts to ensure even tightening would make more sense.With my EVO Supremacy, I just tightened it down until the thumbscrews hit the "stops". Even pressure every time.

·
Old and Decrepit
2,064 Posts
I have no doubt that the Foundation has more flex than the V2. I'm going to switch to a Magnitude or Foundation I think. What's another block in my collection? LOL

I don't think the block gets that hot to make expansion/contraction that much of an issue. The issue, IMO, lies in the springless mount. It is VERY easy to apply uneven pressure to the 4 corners when screwing down the block. Either having springs or "stops" on the posts to ensure even tightening would make more sense.With my EVO Supremacy, I just tightened it down until the thumbscrews hit the "stops". Even pressure every time.
Nah I don’t think it gets that hot, the loose nuts and too much pRon do go hard in hand...😳

·
Registered
807 Posts

·
Lost in SoCal
708 Posts
Did you clean it yet? Looks more like copper depositing to me. Should come up pretty easily.

·
Registered
26 Posts
The block is made of copper and nickel. Neither of those materials rust. So.....what is going on here?
Perhaps the plate inside the waterblock is made from steel. Or a defective water block. Before that, the EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB used for about 2 years - everything was fine with it. Inside the water block of the video card, everything is also clean.I have this problem for the first time in 20 years of experience.

·
Rig Advisor
3,492 Posts
Perhaps the plate inside the waterblock is made from steel. Or a defective water block. Before that, the EK-Quantum Velocity D-RGB used for about 2 years - everything was fine with it. Inside the water block of the video card, everything is also clean.I have this problem for the first time in 20 years of experience.
Running aluminum rads?

·
Shooting down fallacies
8,723 Posts
I completely forgot about EK using steel jetplates. Ugh...

·
Lost in SoCal
708 Posts
I always assumed it was stainless steel, and not rustable. But, this is EK we are talking about. :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
690 Posts
What I don’t understand is if that block was rusting after one month of use why you just continued to use it and had not immediately yank it out and contact EK for a replacement?

You trying to ruin the rest of your loop?

·
Registered
26 Posts
What I don’t understand is if that block was rusting after one month of use why you just continued to use it and had not immediately yank it out and contact EK for a replacement?

You trying to ruin the rest of your loop?
I wrote an e-mail to the retail store, also yesterday (the warranty is still over) I contacted the retail store again. The system is clean except for this water block. EK had a replacement of all nickel-plated water blocks about eight years ago. Because in my same system, the previous model from EK worked fine, and the new model immediately rusted, my opinion is a factory defect . Are there representatives from EK in the forum here?

·
Registered
690 Posts
I wrote an e-mail to the retail store, also yesterday (the warranty is still over) I contacted the retail store again. The system is clean except for this water block. EK had a replacement of all nickel-plated water blocks about eight years ago. Because in my same system, the previous model from EK worked fine, and the new model immediately rusted, my opinion is a factory defect . Are there representatives from EK in the forum here?
Those blocks have a 2 year warranty I’m pretty sure. But I still don’t understand why you didn’t contact them 9 months ago when you first discovered a issue but just let it go 10 months. Crazy if you ask me. Just seems strange since you said you have 20 years of experience? Guess it doesn’t matter now. Btw the jet plates are stainless steel and shouldn’t cause rust like that. Something else is going on most likely. Myn certainly doesn’t look like that. Lol.

As for reps. They don’t frequent this forum anymore. Few members here kept constantly chewing them out and giving them a hard time and they got tired of it and gave up. You will have better luck contacting EK directly through their support page or their EK Facebook group.

Good luck man.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Those blocks have a 2 year warranty I’m pretty sure. But I still don’t understand why you didn’t contact them 9 months ago when you first discovered a issue but just let it go 10 months. Crazy if you ask me. Just seems strange since you said you have 20 years of experience? Guess it doesn’t matter now. Btw the jet plates are stainless steel and shouldn’t cause rust like that. Something else is going on most likely. Myn certainly doesn’t look like that. Lol.

As for reps. They don’t frequent this forum anymore. Few members here kept constantly chewing them out and giving them a hard time and they got tired of it and gave up. You will have better luck contacting EK directly through their support page or their EK Facebook group.

Good luck man.
I'll give this waterblock back under warranty tomorrow. While I had to buy another water block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO BLACK COPPER), because if recognized as a warranty case, the money will be returned. It takes time.
EK had a replacement of all nickel-plated water blocks about eight years ago. I think the situation has repeated itself.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I'll give this waterblock back under warranty tomorrow. While I had to buy another water block (Watercool HEATKILLER® IV PRO BLACK COPPER), because if recognized as a warranty case, the money will be returned. It takes time.
EK had a replacement of all nickel-plated water blocks about eight years ago. I think the situation has repeated itself.
They most likely will just send you a new coldplate. Jetplate and brass flow insert with some new orings. I highly doubt your getting your money back especially after leaving it for 10 months. Lol..

Also saying that the nickel plating fiasco is happening again is a pretty bold statement. That issue was not rust. It was flaking nickel. Two very different things. EKs quality control is far from great and definitely needs work but I’ve seen thousands and thousands of builds posted on the internet with that magnitude block and not even one of them “rusting”. Stop exaggerating crap. It’s acting like this that we don’t have EK reps on this forum anymore.

·
Registered
26 Posts
They most likely will just send you a new coldplate. Jetplate and brass flow insert with some new orings. I highly doubt your getting your money back especially after leaving it for 10 months. Lol..

Also saying that the nickel plating fiasco is happening again is a pretty bold statement. That issue was not rust. It was flaking nickel. Two very different things. EKs quality control is far from great and definitely needs work but I’ve seen thousands and thousands of builds posted on the internet with that magnitude block and not even one of them “rusting”. Stop exaggerating crap. It’s acting like this that we don’t have EK reps on this forum anymore.
Dude, don't worry about me))) I'll get them. But I drew conclusions. This waterblock does not cost 250 euros. It's rubbish with this quality

·
Old and Decrepit
2,064 Posts
Everyone is free to draw their own conclusions. Mine is this doesn't look like rust, it looks like copper. The same discoloration was posted in a GPU block not very long ago in the Optimus Thread. The culprit was a rad. The part you are showing is nickel plated brass. Neither of which will rust. Ive seen this many times and its always come back to mixing metals or failure to prep loop. Not saying its impossible to be a defect but contact EKWB. They will either send you replacement parts or a new block. If you choose to change to a different block then you can get this one back to normal or if you get a new one put it up for sale. I have two of them, the solid nickel and the same one you have. Neither have any signs of discoloration in the least. The performance of these blocks are top tier. I still think they are too expensive but the only other block Ive tested that is comparable is the Optimus blocks. Watercool heat killer that I ran for a few years is an excellent block but about 3C behind the other two.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
My Optimus sig V2 suffered the same fate, corrosion on the inside of the nickel top, really bad stuff, after 6ish months. I chalked it up to my 4 year old GTR rads or left-over cleaners I didn't properly flush out, not Optimus or the block itself. After that I got the Magnitude with all new rads, fittings, edpm and GPU blocks. Since then It's been all gravy, though I am due for a flush so I suppose we will really see soon. Visual inspection shows no issues, but can't really tell till I do a full teardown and clean. Point is you can't straight up blame them for something you may have caused yourself, I know that's an easy route but you can't draw that conclusion without checking to see if it's something in your loop causing the issue. Because if it is, then it's going to happen again.

• Rep+
Reactions: Bartdude
781 - 800 of 800 Posts