Overclock.net banner
17561 - 17580 of 17618 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
I did not see a screw in the box that fit the holes in front. the threads were too small/skinny. What fits in there?
Sory for the bad pictures but the camera cant really focus on such a tiny screw
Anyway you will need to use these but i cant recall if i got mine with the case or with the extra trays i bought

DSCN4531.JPG
DSCN4535.JPG
I might have gotten them with the extra trays
I have run out of them and that one above is my last one so i am thinking of sending an email to Fractal asking if i can buy some more of them

Edit: here is a better picture
DSCN4538.JPG

·
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
499 Posts
Sory for the bad pictures but the camera cant really focus on such a tiny screw
Anyway you will need to use these but i cant recall if i got mine with the case or with the extra trays i bought

I might have gotten them with the extra trays
I have run out of them and that one above is my last one so i am thinking of sending an email to Fractal asking if i can buy some more of them

Edit: here is a better picture
Thanks for the photos. The "extra screws" that came with the trays are M3 screws and don't fit into those holes. They are used for SSD's I think.

I don't have any screws like what you show at all. I wonder if the 6-32 screw is meant for that spot. It would be the same screws used to hold the motherboard in, my case came with 20 of them.

I learned a long time ago to not just try screws, once you mess up the thread it will be forever ruined. Since it is has paint in the threads, no matter what screw I use it will feel like I'm cross threading so I want to make certain I really use the right ones.

Attachments

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
Thanks for the photos. The "extra screws" that came with the trays are M3 screws and don't fit into those holes. They are used for SSD's I think.

I don't have any screws like what you show at all. I wonder if the 6-32 screw is meant for that spot. It would be the same screws used to hold the motherboard in, my case came with 20 of them.

I learned a long time ago to not just try screws, once you mess up the thread it will be forever ruined. Since it is has paint in the threads, no matter what screw I use it will feel like I'm cross threading so I want to make certain I really use the right ones.
I cant recall where i got those screws from they might have been from my Meshify 2 XL since i threw all the Fractal screws in the same box
Anyway the trays will buzz if you dont screw them in place from both sides

Edit: sent an email to Fractal asking if i could buy more of those screws i sent you a picture of and they said they would send a me a few for free since they are spare parts
Great customer service by Fractal

I only have one of those screws left and i got 8 spare trays with none of those screws to go with them

·
2,848 Posts
Do you have HDDs? (As in, more than one)
If so, how did you mount them?
They might be in resonance.
Only a single HDD. It's not even mounted--it's sitting on sorbothane strips to dampen any vibrations. I've reached out to Fractal Design customer support at this point. The front panel just seems to amplify any vibrations and brings them into the audible range, and the side tempered glass panel isn't helping. If I remove the glass panel, the buzzing practically disappears (or at least becomes inaudible). I can still feel the front aluminum panel vibrating under my palm, whereas other parts of the case don't resonate much.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I am currently in the process of gathering parts for a new build and the Define 7 arrived first. So far I have been through three of them due to poor quality which really surprised me. My R4 is a damn tank! After really looking into thermals and the ****ty stock fans, I am concerned for my planned 5800X and 3070. Seriously thinking of going 4000D Airflow because the Define 7 has been a disappointment and I haven't even properly built in it yet. :rolleyes:

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
Just replace the stock fans you can get a 5 fan pack of Arctic P14 140mm fans for $59

Or better yet pick a case that has better air flow like the Meshify 2 which is exactly the same case just with a mesh front panel

·
2,848 Posts
I am currently in the process of gathering parts for a new build and the Define 7 arrived first. So far I have been through three of them due to poor quality which really surprised me. My R4 is a damn tank! After really looking into thermals and the ****ty stock fans, I am concerned for my planned 5800X and 3070. Seriously thinking of going 4000D Airflow because the Define 7 has been a disappointment and I haven't even properly built in it yet. :rolleyes:
I also prefer my R3 to Define 7 (mine is D7 Compact). Heavier duty build, better noise insulation and vibration dampening. I like the smaller size of D7 Compact, and it looks nicer, and the bottom PSU shroud/shelf is kinda nice, but the glossy white powdercoating on R3 is better, thermals-even with the top of the case covered with dampening foam--and almost everything else.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I wanted the Meshify 2 but Amazon and Walmart are both sold out right now; same with most Define 7 models too. I like to buy from online retailers that allow free returns because of past issues, like spending $45 to ship a damaged case back. Perhaps Newegg might be okay with it? :cautious:

·
2,848 Posts
The front panel does come off easily, but not too easily for me to worry about it. The USB ports are REALLY tight (as are the audio ports). My USB 3.0 front port actually popped out by half an inch or so yesterday when I was pulling out a cord and I had to push it back in. I'm more careful now. Front audio works, no problems, as do all of the USB ports. Can't help with lighting as I'm using a kind that changes colors with a dial.
Quote:
So ^ that happened back in 2013, and I've been using the case as is, since it's been seemingly impossible to pop the USB 3.0 front ports back into the front panel of my Define R3 and get them to stay down. Now I'm considering selling the case with some left-over components put together into a complete system, and the case is still in excellent condition. Except for those front USB ports. Has this happened to anyone else with a Define front panel, and were you able to do something to fix it? I can't find how the USB ports are held down to the panel, even after removing the panel from the case and inspecting the ports. The 2 USB 2.0 ports seem to bee firmly held and never budged, but the 3.0 ports just slide freely up and down--but only as far as their base. I.e. you can get the ports lifted about half and inch upward, but that's the extent of it.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Hello all.

I have just ordered my first Fractal case. I picked the Meshify 2 XL. Should be here this week. It will be replacing the Corsair 760T I have been using for the last six or seven years. I'm going to be sad to give up my blu-ray drive, but I decided it was time for an update for the case. It took me about a year to pick one because of how nice the 760T is, but the Meshify 2 XL looks to suit most of my needs, and is a more modern case. Honestly I'm not too thrilled about the design they put in the mesh, but everything else is awesome.

I might try and figure out a way to mount a 5 1/4" drive bay under the PSU shroud, which wouldn't exactly be handy but would at least let me watch my optical disks. It's either that or an external USB blu-ray drive.

I'll post my results here if that's OK.

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
Hello all.

I have just ordered my first Fractal case. I picked the Meshify 2 XL. Should be here this week. It will be replacing the Corsair 760T I have been using for the last six or seven years. I'm going to be sad to give up my blu-ray drive, but I decided it was time for an update for the case. It took me about a year to pick one because of how nice the 760T is, but the Meshify 2 XL looks to suit most of my needs, and is a more modern case. Honestly I'm not too thrilled about the design they put in the mesh, but everything else is awesome.

I might try and figure out a way to mount a 5 1/4" drive bay under the PSU shroud, which wouldn't exactly be handy but would at least let me watch my optical disks. It's either that or an external USB blu-ray drive.

The Define 7 XL has room for two 5,25 devices if you need it that much
Its the same cases as the Meshify 2 XL on the inside

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
22,043 Posts
I wanted the Meshify 2 but Amazon and Walmart are both sold out right now; same with most Define 7 models too. I like to buy from online retailers that allow free returns because of past issues, like spending $45 to ship a damaged case back. Perhaps Newegg might be okay with it? :cautious:
Does Newegg not anymore? They used to, but the last time I had to return anything I got from them was ~5 years ago.

·
Older "geezer" of OCN
2,664 Posts
Hello all.

Enclosure for your 5.25" blu-ray drive - just food for thought.

Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive all black

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
The Define 7 XL has room for two 5,25 devices if you need it that much
Its the same cases as the Meshify 2 XL on the inside

Thanks for the suggestion, but I bought a case with no 5 1/4" bays on purpose. I knew I would need to do something about the blu-ray drive. I might go with the external case, or I might try and mod something under the PS shroud.

Enclosure for your 5.25" blu-ray drive - just food for thought.

Vantec NST-536S3-BK NexStar DX USB 3.0 External Enclosure for SATA Blu-Ray/CD/DVD Drive all black
That is a great find. I was looking for cases on Amazon and all I found was a chinese case at a crazy price. I might go for this if I decide against modding the interior of the PSU shroud.

My case just arrived at work, and I will be starting on it tonight. Hate having my PC down that long, but the end result will be worth it. Likely have it done tomorrow. Lucky for me it's just a case swap, no software installation required.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
OK, case arrived and I did the install.

I have to say this is by no means a perfect case, if there is such a thing. However, overall it's a very nice case even if it is missing a hard drive LED. :)

So everything transferred perfectly, and everything worked first time I tried it. It's filled with Rainbow Puke RGB, which I personally like. So, if you have a reaction to RGB, maybe skip ahead...:p

The last things I want to do are lower the top RGB strip a bit (I lost my clips for it somehow and only had three to use). Once I find where I put them, I will lower the strip a bit and get it fixed at the front top corner. I also need to wrap the end of one of the strips with electrical tape in the rear top corner so we don't see a double strip there.

I ordered the USB case for the blu-ray drive, so I can still use it. I am still investigating doing a mod under the PSU shroud to add an optical drive bay there. I don't use it much anymore but occasionally I like to watch a movie on blu-ray, or more often watch a TV series on DVD (right now there is a Babylon 5 disk in the drive).

If anyone is interested:

ASUS Z490-A Motherboard
Intel i7 10700K @ 5GHz
32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro DDR4 RAM
Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3070 Vision OC 8GB GPU
2 x 1TB NVMe SSD, 3 x SATA SSD (500 and 2 x 1T)
Thermaltake Water 3.0 360mm AIO CPU Cooler
Fans are 3 x 140mm Antec Prizm PWM fans front, 4 x 120mm on rad and rear exhaust
1 x XPG 24 pin RGB cable extension
2 x XPG 8 pin RGB Cable Extensions
Custom Star Trek RGB SSD Covers, 1 x Custom Star Trek RGB GPU Support (available at etsy.com, you supply the picture you want)

Other than the new case this build has been a work in progress since spring 2020, which at the time had a Gigabyte Windforce RTX 2070, which I sold when I purchased the 3070 last January (there's a story behind that if anyone is interested).

Nice case. I do have a few critiques but no case is perfect.

·
Registered
4 Posts
TLDR: Should I choose Define R5 or Define R6 to reduce HDD noise?

Hello dear Fractal Design fans. I need your advice on choosing the SILENT Fractal case for my home office.
Currently I use Fractal Design Midi R2 (I've got two of them).

Midi R2 is a good case from the build comfort and air cooling point of view.
Nice case airflow is further improved by Noctua A14 fans. GPU never heats.
And overclocked CPU is easily tamed with huge Phanteks TC14PE cooler during rendering.

But A14 and TC14PE are surprisingly not the loudest components. The humming noise and resonating vibration
from 5 HDDs are slowly killing me. Midi R2 does nothing to block HDD noise. Rubber washers are just for show.

I am currently looking at 2 old models in stock - Define R5 and Define R6 (Define 7 costs 50% more, so it's out of the picture for now).

Define R5 has HDD cages similar to Midi R2 (same mounts, same rubber washers, same construction prone to vibration)
Define R6 has 6 HDD plates which can be placed with intervals for better airflow
(but R6 has diagonal mounting points for HDD plates - I cannot guess whether it is bad or good for keeping HDD quiet).

I have never seen silent case review/comparison that covers HDD noise, so the forum is the only place to get this info.

1) Is there a point in considering Define R5 in 2021? Does the older model have any significant advantages over R6?

2) Which of these two cases does a better job blocking the noise coming from HDD motors and HDD case vibration?... If at all?

3) I would appreciate any thoughts and impressions from someone who switched from high-airflow case (like Midi R2) to the Fractal silent case (like Define R6). Was the drop in cooling capabilities significant?

4) The motherboard that I had to buy has angled SATA-ports, pointed to the front of the case (not classic, straight and easy to use), and Midi R2 gives me pain each time I need to change some sata-cables (because the sata-ports go right to the edge of HDD cage, leaving small area to hold the cable connector). What's your experience with Define R6 and R5? I cannot find any case photos covering this issue to make a comparison.

I don't intend to switch to water-cooling. The large tower CPU-cooler (TC14PE) will move to this new case together with some efficient case fans (Noctua A14 or Thermalright TY-147A SQ). And I'll have the case front door open during heavy loads.

PS: I intended to migrate to some larger HDDs (to replace 5 drives with only 2) or 10GbE NAS later this year, but Chia-nonsense happened, so for now the silent case is a cheaper option for me.

PS 2. The only thing to completely eliminate the HDD vibration in my case was
this Chinese thingy: the 5.25'' adapter for 3.5'' with silicone suspension, $5 per drive.
But it takes 1.5 vertical spaces, and for 5 hdds I'd need some ancient case with 5.25 mounts only, not suitable for modern cases. Seems a bit extreme.

·
Cheesebumps!!
2,581 Posts

Hello dear Fractal Design fans. I need your advice on choosing the SILENT Fractal case for my home office.

And overclocked CPU is easily tamed with huge Phanteks TC14PE cooler during rendering.

But A14 and TC14PE are surprisingly not the loudest components. The humming noise and resonating vibration
from 5 HDDs are slowly killing me. Midi R2 does nothing to block HDD noise. Rubber washers are just for show.

I am currently looking at 2 old models in stock - Define R5 and Define R6 (Define 7 costs 50% more, so it's out of the picture for now).
Define R5 has HDD cages similar to Midi R2 (same mounts, same rubber washers, same construction prone to vibration)
Define R6 has 6 HDD plates which can be placed with intervals for better airflow
(but R6 has diagonal mounting points for HDD plates - I cannot guess whether it is bad or good for keeping HDD quiet).

I have never seen silent case review/comparison that covers HDD noise, so the forum is the only place to get this info.

1) Is there a point in considering Define R5 in 2021? Does the older model have any significant advantages over R6?

2) Which of these two cases does a better job blocking the noise coming from HDD motors and HDD case vibration?... If at all?

3) I would appreciate any thoughts and impressions from someone who switched from high-airflow case (like Midi R2) to the Fractal silent case (like Define R6). Was the drop in cooling capabilities significant?

4) The motherboard that I had to buy has angled SATA-ports, pointed to the front of the case (not classic, straight and easy to use), and Midi R2 gives me pain each time I need to change some sata-cables (because the sata-ports go right to the edge of HDD cage, leaving small area to hold the cable connector). What's your experience with Define R6 and R5? I cannot find any case photos covering this issue to make a comparison.

I don't intend to switch to water-cooling. The large tower CPU-cooler (TC14PE) will move to this new case together with some efficient case fans (Noctua A14 or Thermalright TY-147A SQ). And I'll have the case front door open during heavy loads.

Also: I intended to migrate to some larger HDDs (to replace 5 drives with only 2) or 10GbE NAS later this year, but Chia-nonsense happened, so for now the silent case is a cheaper option for me.
I use the R6 and it comes with plenty of the rubber bushings that should help damper the vibrations to the HDD drives..with either vertical or horizontal mounting..

·
2,848 Posts
It might be difficult for you to eliminate that vibration completely if your drives are on the noisy/powerfully vibrating side, like WD Black drives of a few years back. Mine only calmed down when I placed it directly on thick sorbothane without bolting it down, and even then it was making my Define 7 Compact vibrate (front panel and glass side panel). I moved it to a much larger corsair Air case, also on sorbothane, and there it is finally quiet. I now have an Exos X10 helium-filled drive in my Define 7 Compact, which has super low vibration and noise to begin with. With all that said, my previous Define R4 was much better at noise dampening than my current Define7 Compact--no resonances anywhere. But I still didn't use the included drive cage for that WD Black drive.

·
Registered
732 Posts

PS: I intended to migrate to some larger HDDs (to replace 5 drives with only 2) or 10GbE NAS later this year, but Chia-nonsense happened, so for now the silent case is a cheaper option for me.

PS 2. The only thing to completely eliminate the HDD vibration in my case was
this Chinese thingy: the 5.25'' adapter for 3.5'' with silicone suspension, $5 per drive.
But it takes 1.5 vertical spaces, and for 5 hdds I'd need some ancient case with 5.25 mounts only, not suitable for modern cases. Seems a bit extreme.
Less is more. Do your washers and mounts, and don't use trays and oficial mounts.

Define S while it was made for custom loops, it's great for mounting storage running on air.
You have bottom and top grill for mounting storage.
Use soft 1.5-2mm washers for the screws and sticky velcros. It should absorb a lot of the vibration without transimiting it to the case, and the foam on the panels of the case should deal with the rest.
All storage will receive the same amount of cooling, and you're not blocking airflow to the CPU or GPU.
Also GPU has a lot of room to breathe and the define S despite its closed and silent nature, it's quite decent with GPU temps.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
577 Posts
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting the Meshify 2 for an upcoming build. Wanted to know some feedback on it - especially the 140mm stock fans that come with it.

Plan was to get the EK 360 D-RGB Elite AIO (comes with 6 Vardar fans). I would move the rear 140mm to the front, and run the AIO with 3 fans in push and another fan on the rear of the case for exhaust. Thoughts on this? Plus any other feedback would be appreciated.

17561 - 17580 of 17618 Posts