Overclock.net banner
17581 - 17600 of 17618 Posts

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
Hey guys,

Thinking about getting the Meshify 2 for an upcoming build. Wanted to know some feedback on it - especially the 140mm stock fans that come with it.

Plan was to get the EK 360 D-RGB Elite AIO (comes with 6 Vardar fans). I would move the rear 140mm to the front, and run the AIO with 3 fans in push and another fan on the rear of the case for exhaust. Thoughts on this? Plus any other feedback would be appreciated.
The stock fans are not worth using so throw them in a spare parts box or in the bin

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
What makes them so bad? I'm being a stingy guy and trying to not justify spending the $75 for three 140mm fans.
Their max RPM is only 1000 and the static pressure is almost non existent so very little air actually comes into the case if you use them as intake

• Rep+
Reactions: NotReadyYet

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
The stock fans are not very good and they are not pwm. Mine are in the trash bin.

I have an ek-aio 360 d-rgb in my meshify 2. The pump is not silent @ 100% so I run it @ 74% without much cooling loss. It is pretty good so far. The Vader fans are noisy at full 2200 rpm, you may want to consider that.

If you are thinking about utilizing all 6 fans for the radiator I think you would want the XL meshify 2.

• Rep+

·
Registered
577 Posts
The stock fans are not very good and they are not pwm. Mine are in the trash bin.

I have an ek-aio 360 d-rgb in my meshify 2. The pump is not silent @ 100% so I run it @ 74% without much cooling loss. It is pretty good so far. The Vader fans are noisy at full 2200 rpm, you may want to consider that.

If you are thinking about utilizing all 6 fans for the radiator I think you would want the XL meshify 2.
Thanks for the information! I was not going to run all six fans - the plan was to top mount it and run 3 in push, take an extra fan and put it in the rear of the case as an exhaust (replaces the stock 140mm fan).

I suppose I will get three 140mm Arctic PWM fans for the front as intake. They are excellent fans and should cost me like $40

What program do you use to control the pump and fans?

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
Thanks for the information! I was not going to run all six fans - the plan was to top mount it and run 3 in push, take an extra fan and put it in the rear of the case as an exhaust (replaces the stock 140mm fan).

I suppose I will get three 140mm Arctic PWM fans for the front as intake. They are excellent fans and should cost me like $40

I use Asus AISuite FanXpert. Very reliable. Doesn't do you much good without an Asus board though. My experience with Gigabyte software fan control on their z390 Master was not good (fans would stop).

·
Registered
577 Posts
I use Asus AISuite FanXpert. Very reliable. Doesn't do you much good without an Asus board though. My experience with Gigabyte software fan control on their z390 Master was not good (fans would stop).
Cool, yeah I have a Dark Hero VIII and 5900x ready to go once I can pick a case.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
Cool, yeah I have a Dark Hero VIII and 5900x ready to go once I can pick a case.
You can make the same curve in BIOS, but you can't make profiles and switch between them like with AISuite, and that is really useful, at least to me.

• Rep+

·
Senior OCN Member
41,191 Posts
I use Open Hardware Monitor its far less of a resource hog than all the Asus bloatware but the drawback is you cant make curves you can only set it to auto or a fixed speed
On the other hand it uses next to no system resources

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can make the same curve in BIOS, but you can't make profiles and switch between them like with AISuite, and that is really useful, at least to me.
Why would you want to have 2 different profiles?
Just configure a single curve good enough and you're set.
Manufacturer's suites are a steaming pile of s***. I'll rather prefer viruses than those.

If you wanna control fans from windows, here FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

It's all the fan control features you can find in MSI, asus, gigabyte, asrock and others combined in a single power tool.

That said, you shouldn't have a need for switching between profiles, if one of them is well configured.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
I use Open Hardware Monitor its far less of a resource hog than all the Asus bloatware but the drawback is you cant make curves you can only set it to auto or a fixed speed
On the other hand it uses next to no system resources
Not too much bloatware, I only install the DIP5 and System info components. The useless bloatware that comes along with that is Turbo App, EPU and PC cleaner. verything else is useful, including V/F curve editor. Just ignore th4e couple of useless things and don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. For Motherboard vendor software, it is one of the most stable I have come across (including other Asus junk). It really uses virtually no system resources at all. don''t know where that comes from.

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
Why would you want to have 2 different profiles?
Just configure a single curve good enough and you're set.
Manufacturer's suites are a steaming pile of s***. I'll rather prefer viruses than those.

If you wanna control fans from windows, here FanControl, my take on a SpeedFan replacement

It's all the fan control features you can find in MSI, asus, gigabyte, asrock and others combined in a single power tool.

That said, you shouldn't have a need for switching between profiles, if one of them is well configured.
I have a profile for memory testing that maximizes airfolow across the memory, I have an "octane" profile for keeping the temps down for benchmarking and stress testing, and I have a couple for normal silent running. I don't think you need to be telling other people what you think they need or not. Besides that, I use the AISuite to help establish and tweak new overclocks so that I do not have to keep rebooting the computer. Not all manufacturer suites are a steam pile of **** - you should keep an open mind and not lump everything together like that (though most are).

·
Registered
58 Posts
I'm currently using the the Raijintek Thetis that I got purely for downsize reasons. Prior to it, I had a white R4 with busted front I/O that I started to dislike because I felt it's too freaking big, it looks like a fridge next to my desk. Plus, carrying it down and up the hill to dust it out was a pain. However, I'm not happy with noise and build quality of Thetis so I'm thinking of switching back.

I came across a used (in good condition) Define S for 50€, so now I'm wondering if I should get it...
Thermals should be better...
I wonder how would they compare if I drill out the bottom HDD cage on R4 to free up the airflow and use the optical drive bays to house my 2 HDDs via adapters.
But then I would need to buy adapters and when we add the price and hassle of replacing the front I/O, I might as well get that Define S and sell the R4.

I'm still interested in downsizing, though. I like the Define series and Define C might work fine but I much prefer the 3-piece ModuVent on top (best solution for top panel I've seen on a case) and HDD mounting on Define S...ugh, decisions...

·
Registered
732 Posts
I'm currently using the the Raijintek Thetis that I got purely for downsize reasons. Prior to it, I had a white R4 with busted front I/O that I started to dislike because I felt it's too freaking big, it looks like a fridge next to my desk. Plus, carrying it down and up the hill to dust it out was a pain. However, I'm not happy with noise and build quality of Thetis so I'm thinking of switching back.

I came across a used (in good condition) Define S for 50€, so now I'm wondering if I should get it...
Thermals should be better...
I wonder how would they compare if I drill out the bottom HDD cage on R4 to free up the airflow and use the optical drive bays to house my 2 HDDs via adapters.
But then I would need to buy adapters and when we add the price and hassle of replacing the front I/O, I might as well get that Define S and sell the R4.

I'm still interested in downsizing, though. I like the Define series and Define C might work fine but I much prefer the 3-piece ModuVent on top (best solution for top panel I've seen on a case) and HDD mounting on Define S...ugh, decisions...
If you ask me, define S with modded mesh front is the pinnacle of fractals 535x470x22 cases.
Now they're just reinventing the wheel.
That case can have a mesh front with excelent airflow, foam panels for antivibration and high frecuencies and a ton of free space on the walls for 3.5" drives if you go on air.

Top and bottom grills can be filled with drives, and in front of the motherboard you can attach like 4-5 SSD.

If i would have one of those and a lot of storage, i would place 3x140 front intakes, 2x120/140mm bottom intakes, with a modified mesh front. Custom better and less obstructive front filter.
Top with 4-5 3.5" and moduvent panels on, another 3-4 2.5" ssd in front of the motherboard where you would usually attach the watter pump, NH D15S, pcie slots brackets removed, and no rear fan.

You would have excelent airflow and noise ratio aswell. With a setup like that, you're already getting 90-95% cooling performance from the nh d15s at just 1000rpm.

Sent from my Redmi K20 Pro using Tapatalk

·
Registered
58 Posts
If you ask me, define S with modded mesh front is the pinnacle of fractals 535x470x22 cases.
Now they're just reinventing the wheel.
That case can have a mesh front with excelent airflow, foam panels for antivibration and high frecuencies and a ton of free space on the walls for 3.5" drives if you go on air.

Top and bottom grills can be filled with drives, and in front of the motherboard you can attach like 4-5 SSD.

If i would have one of those and a lot of storage, i would place 3x140 front intakes, 2x120/140mm bottom intakes, with a modified mesh front. Custom better and less obstructive front filter.
Top with 4-5 3.5" and moduvent panels on, another 3-4 2.5" ssd in front of the motherboard where you would usually attach the watter pump, NH D15S, pcie slots brackets removed, and no rear fan.

You would have excelent airflow and noise ratio aswell. With a setup like that, you're already getting 90-95% cooling performance from the nh d15s at just 1000rpm.

Modded mesh front? Oh? How does that look?

I have 2x3.5" HDDs for now, default mounting places are fine.
I am, however, interested in alternate HDD mounts in R4, for example, because I'm considering drilling out the rivets on the bottom HDD cage in mine and removing it for better airflow. That would leave me with ODD compartments as only places for my HDDs, using adapters. But that's a bit crude solution. I haven't considered somehow using the top panel for that...can it be done in R4?

As for cooling, I have an 10400F with Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 and a Strix 1080Ti. I'm primarily concerned about GPU cooling, as the 10400F is a piece of cake to cool. Also, I have the Phanteks PH-TC14PE lying around. As for fans, 3 of Noctua P14s Redux 1500s that I can use...I'll probably need few more fans.
BTW, is botom fan intake in these cases good for GPU cooling or is it redundant? I was considering that too...

·
Registered
732 Posts
Modded mesh front? Oh? How does that look?

I have 2x3.5" HDDs for now, default mounting places are fine.
I am, however, interested in alternate HDD mounts in R4, for example, because I'm considering drilling out the rivets on the bottom HDD cage in mine and removing it for better airflow. That would leave me with ODD compartments as only places for my HDDs, using adapters. But that's a bit crude solution. I haven't considered somehow using the top panel for that...can it be done in R4?

As for cooling, I have an 10400F with Arctic Liquid Freezer 120 and a Strix 1080Ti. I'm primarily concerned about GPU cooling, as the 10400F is a piece of cake to cool. Also, I have the Phanteks PH-TC14PE lying around. As for fans, 3 of Noctua P14s Redux 1500s that I can use...I'll probably need few more fans.
BTW, is botom fan intake in these cases good for GPU cooling or is it redundant? I was considering that too...
I know 10400f is a lighter in therms of power consumption, but having around a tc14pe lying around and using a 120mm AIO, it's sacrilege. That CPU with a tc14pe even at full load, doesn't need more than 500-600rpm.

R4 it's a large case, unless you starve it with poor airflow, which you might if you're trying to run it at low or bellow ambient noise, you shouldn't have any problems.

For the strix 1080ti, the biggest improvement you will get, is from modding it. Slap a pair of cheap p12 pwm on it, and control them from the motherboard with the piece of software i linked to the guy that uses Asus suite.
Im running my 1080 strix with 2 sw3, and im doing about 60-63°C, at 800rpm, with 20°C ambient. Overclocked, but without touching the voltage.
I do have much better airflow than you have tho.... but my case fans also don't go past 600rpm, so that's a thing too.

Bottom intake might help (im using a A15 in a meshify C, with an overall improvement of 3-4°C in both CPU and GPU), but to what extent it's hard to predict because there's to many factors to take into account. What i can tell you, is that the larger the case, the smaller is the improvement, and if you have front to back airflow, you don't wanna run them very fast.

Top of r4, has little area with honeycomb pattern. You might have to drill holes, but it is possible. Not as nice as the define S tho, since after you screw the drives in, you can mount the foam moduvents.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I know 10400f is a lighter in therms of power consumption, but having around a tc14pe lying around and using a 120mm AIO, it's sacrilege. That CPU with a tc14pe even at full load, doesn't need more than 500-600rpm.

R4 it's a large case, unless you starve it with poor airflow, which you might if you're trying to run it at low or bellow ambient noise, you shouldn't have any problems.

For the strix 1080ti, the biggest improvement you will get, is from modding it. Slap a pair of cheap p12 pwm on it, and control them from the motherboard with the piece of software i linked to the guy that uses Asus suite.
Im running my 1080 strix with 2 sw3, and im doing about 60-63°C, at 800rpm, with 20°C ambient. Overclocked, but without touching the voltage.
I do have much better airflow than you have tho.... but my case fans also don't go past 600rpm, so that's a thing too.

Bottom intake might help (im using a A15 in a meshify C, with an overall improvement of 3-4°C in both CPU and GPU), but to what extent it's hard to predict because there's to many factors to take into account. What i can tell you, is that the larger the case, the smaller is the improvement, and if you have front to back airflow, you don't wanna run them very fast.

Top of r4, has little area with honeycomb pattern. You might have to drill holes, but it is possible. Not as nice as the define S tho, since after you screw the drives in, you can mount the foam moduvents.

Oh, I do intend to deshroud the GPU and strap a pair of 120mm fans (most likely F120MPs). I just need to figure out connecting them.
I use Argus to control fans, so I can plug the fans on GPU to mobo and control them via Argus, I think, it enables fans on mobo headers to react the GPU temps (it's how I connected 2 top intake fans on Thetis).
The temps are pretty solid in Thetis, to my surprise, it's not really known for good airflow. All my fans are Thermaltake Toughfan 12s, the CPU does 60-62C in Borderlands 3 with fan at 1000-1100 RPM and the GPU is lightly undervolted, hits around 70...but the GPU fans are just too noisy and there's resonance and rattling from the case, even though fans in it are very quiet. It's starting to annoy me.

The reason I use the LFII for CPU is simply to reduce the in Thetis (also, it has a wonky CPU airflow and the AIO helps). It does a nice job but it might not be optimal for Define cases, the only place I see for it is top exhaust...TC14PE might be a better fit. It's pretty big, though, I've gotten used to clean motherboard.

If I do use a bottom intake, it will surely blow lightly, on low RPM. I'll probably try without it, to see how it goes.
What do you suggest for fans? Where should I put those 3 P14s Reduxes and what more should I get? I was looking into Phanteks F140MPs...
I should maybe replace the fans on TC14PE too if I use it, I have the old version fans...

17581 - 17600 of 17618 Posts