Overclock.net banner
17601 - 17618 of 17618 Posts

·
Registered
732 Posts
Oh, I do intend to deshroud the GPU and strap a pair of 120mm fans (most likely F120MPs). I just need to figure out connecting them.
I use Argus to control fans, so I can plug the fans on GPU to mobo and control them via Argus, I think, it enables fans on mobo headers to react the GPU temps (it's how I connected 2 top intake fans on Thetis).
The temps are pretty solid in Thetis, to my surprise, it's not really known for good airflow. All my fans are Thermaltake Toughfan 12s, the CPU does 60-62C in Borderlands 3 with fan at 1000-1100 RPM and the GPU is lightly undervolted, hits around 70...but the GPU fans are just too noisy and there's resonance and rattling from the case, even though fans in it are very quiet. It's starting to annoy me.

The reason I use the LFII for CPU is simply to reduce the in Thetis (also, it has a wonky CPU airflow and the AIO helps). It does a nice job but it might not be optimal for Define cases, the only place I see for it is top exhaust...TC14PE might be a better fit. It's pretty big, though, I've gotten used to clean motherboard.

If I do use a bottom intake, it will surely blow lightly, on low RPM. I'll probably try without it, to see how it goes.
What do you suggest for fans? Where should I put those 3 P14s Reduxes and what more should I get? I was looking into Phanteks F140MPs...
I should maybe replace the fans on TC14PE too if I use it, I have the old version fans...
With only 2x 3.5" hdd, If it was me, i would sell the case with all fans, and get a lian li 215, mod the GPU, and get 3x sw3, f140mp for the front, and use the tc14pe. Considering the undervolt on the GPU, and the 10400f with the tc14pe, you should be able to run all fans around 500-700rpm under high loads (stress tests and benchmarks excluded), and never touch 70ºC, with 20-22ºC ambient.
Remove drive cage, and install both HDDs directly on the floor, with thick rubber washers and sticky velcros (that should absorb all the vibration).
It's a cheapo case, but in this situation, is probably as good and silent as you gonna get, coming from case side.

By the way, are you getting a really good price on the f120mp, because they go for 20 bucks a piece, and arctic p12, while they have some cuality control issues, they're incredibly good for the task at hand (which is a fairly fin dense radiator)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Lancool 215 is not available to me...Lancool II Mesh is, for 105€.
I also considered Be Quiet Pure Base 500DX, it looks like a good compromise between cooling and silence but it's 115€ and I already have 4 cases (one is ITX), so I'd avoid paying 100+ EUR for another one, if I can...that's why I consider going back to R4 or getting the Define S for 50€ and selling the R4. I'm still debating what to do with other cases (Raijintek Metis, TT Chaser A31, Define R4), they're piling on, heh.

The F120MP would cost me 15€ or $18. I do have a 5-pack of P12s but I replaced them with Thermaltake Toughfan 12s (cost me $20 a piece) because of the infamous noise.
F140MP would be $21...

·
Registered
58 Posts
I got the Define S. Sadly, the guy who sold it to me didn't send any accessories, screws, etc. so I have to find them on my own. Maybe I can write to Fractal's customer support and see if they can help out with that...Luckily, I have just enough screws from my R4 to make the transplant from current case.

I was surprised how light it feels compared to R4. I got the windowed version, would prefer solid panels with fan cutout. On the one hand, I feel slighty cheated because it's not "build like a tank" like the R4 is, on the other hand it will be easier to carry it for dusting out. I might need a couple of extra 140mm fans for experimenting with airflow...I don't know why they sealed off the areas on the back of the case, instead of leaving holes and cutouts there like on most cases. That may warrant an exhaust fan in the back to help out, I don't know if just removing the PCI covers will do...I may also experiment with bottom intake, I'll see.

I'll also try to keep the Liquid Freezer and mount it in top front intake, as use the 2 140mm in middle and bottom front, if the hoses can reach the CPU. It does a great job at cooling, it's very quiet and I like the clean mobo area, makes working on easy. If not, then the PH-TC14PE it is.
Now, to do some hackjob and make some kind of wooden stand to put the case on it, so I can raise it high for less dust and better intake on the bottom...

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Added a video on Youtube of the RGB working in my case. Also corrected the problems with the LED strips as best I could.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I transplanted the system (10400F + Strix 1080Ti) to Define S today and I'm pleased.
Removed the PCI covers, put 2 P14s Redux 1500 in front bottom and middle and Liquid Freezer 120 above them, all as intake. 3rd Noctua went to back exhaust (tied to avg. CPU temp). The cables on intake fans just barely reached the headers on my mATX mobo, stretching a bit below the board...not very aesthetic but I'll need extenders if I'm gonna route them elsewhere.

CPU idles at 32-35C with radiator fan (TT Toughfan 12) at 500 RPM and rear exhaust at 750. In CB23 it didn't go over 63C, the radiator fan was at 1000-1100 RPM, just barely audible at that speed, with exhaust at same RPM.
The GPU idles at mid-30s, intake fans are set to react to avg. GPU temp and don't spin until the GPU hits 50C. In Heaven benchmark it went to 63C with GPU fans running at less than 30%, intake fans don't go over 1000-1100 in full load.

I didn't expect temps to be this good. And it's decently silent at that, even with case right next to me, at 30-40cm away. Mind you, I spend 95% of my time at computer with headphones on so the noise talk is kinda moot in my case, I won't be able to hear it anyway, especially when I lower the case down next to table.
The loudest part seems to be the P14s Redux on exhaust. It also has some whining when it breaks 800-900 RPM, similar to Arctic P fans...it might just be a scuffed specimen. I need to think if I should replace the Reduxes...Reduxi?...with F140MP, just for smoother sound. Otherwise, Noctuas do a good job at moving air.

All in all, nice. I won't need the bottom intake, I guess...
I'll see what happens when I deshroud the GPU, if there's any point to it now...

·
Registered
68 Posts
My Meshify 2 was delivered today from Newegg. The shipping company, LaserShip, decided to leave it directly under a gutter without ringing a doorbell or knocking. And of course, the case is scratched anyway. Soaked and damaged. :rolleyes:

·
Optimal Pessimist
3,174 Posts
That sucks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I always dread of experiences like that...
Luckily, I never had a shipment being damaged, the couriers were kind, but I fear the day will come eventually... :(

·
Registered
577 Posts
My Meshify 2 was delivered today from Newegg. The shipping company, LaserShip, decided to leave it directly under a gutter without ringing a doorbell or knocking. And of course, the case is scratched anyway. Soaked and damaged. :rolleyes:
That company SUCKS. I never had a good experience with them, ever. My Meshify 2 was also delivered by them and they left it right in the front porch. I've had a lot of package thefts and always ask delivery people to leave it near the side door. I have a note on my front door asking. They never rang my bell either but I got lucky that I just so happened to poke my head out.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Finally put my new rig together.

I must say the Meshify 2 was an absolute pleasure to build with. Between the ease and the quality I am at a loss for words. My prior build was a Corsair 540 Air and I thought that was something special - the Meshify 2 topped that. Cable management was amazing, the built in fan hub was a nice touch, and it was lovely to have the built in dust filters included - all without breaking the bank.

Specs:

Meshify 2
Ryzen 5900x
ASUS Dark Hero VIII
G.Skill Neo 3600 (16-16-16-36) B Die RAM
Zotac 2080 Super
EK 360 Elite AIO
Sabrent Rocket 1TB 4.0 PCIe
Sabrent 1TB 3.0 PCIe
WD "White Label" 8TB HDD (shucked from a WD MyBook external drive)
Corsair RM1000x PSU
3x Arctic 140mm PWM CO
4x EK 120mm Vardar aRGB fans

I am currently sitting at ~38C CPU package temps and piques at ~67C while gaming.

Was able to use ClockTuner to speed it up as well. Ended up with a Silver Sample CPU. Before tweaking I was able to get 8049 points on Cinebench 20, with CTR default tune it went to 8785 points. The difference in CPU voltage went from 1.175 to 1.185 and PPT from 140.2 to 147.4. This gave me a +736 point increase, without affecting my temps. I then played with some of the voltages more and ran it again and got 9027 points. A further +242 point increase. Very pleased with this build and getting a nice draw on the silicon lotto helped as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Finally put my new rig together.
I must say the Meshify 2 was an absolute pleasure to build with. Between the ease and the quality I am at a loss for words. My prior build was a Corsair 540 Air and I thought that was something special - the Meshify 2 topped that. Cable management was amazing, the built in fan hub was a nice touch, and it was lovely to have the built in dust filters included - all without breaking the bank.

Specs:

Meshify 2
Ryzen 5900x
ASUS Dark Hero VIII
G.Skill Neo 3600 (16-16-16-36) B Die RAM
Zotac 2080 Super
EK 360 Elite AIO
Sabrent Rocket 1TB 4.0 PCIe
Sabrent 1TB 3.0 PCIe
WD "White Label" 8TB HDD (shucked from a WD MyBook external drive)
Corsair RM1000x PSU
3x Arctic 140mm PWM CO
4x EK 120mm Vardar aRGB fans

I am currently sitting at ~38C CPU package temps and piques at ~67C while gaming.

Was able to use ClockTuner to speed it up as well. Ended up with a Silver Sample CPU. Before tweaking I was able to get 8049 points on Cinebench 20, with CTR default tune it went to 8785 points. The difference in CPU voltage went from 1.175 to 1.185 and PPT from 140.2 to 147.4. This gave me a +736 point increase, without affecting my temps. I then played with some of the voltages more and ran it again and got 9027 points. A further +242 point increase. Very pleased with this build and getting a nice draw on the silicon lotto helped as well.

View attachment 2512860

View attachment 2512861
View attachment 2512862

View attachment 2512864
View attachment 2512866
View attachment 2512867
I absolutely love how well the colour of the case, mobo, AIO and even the gpu match up so well. The gold colour on the pump/block really draws the eye.
Looks amazing man.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I've been reading this reddit RTX3090 roasting topic and I'm worried if my Fractal R5 is fit for an RTX3080Ti. My current GTX1070 hovers around 70-75°c during gaming.

·
Professional lurker
85 Posts
I've been reading this reddit RTX3090 roasting topic and I'm worried if my Fractal R5 is fit for an RTX3080Ti. My current GTX1070 hovers around 70-75°c during gaming.
I don't see why it wouldn't be good for a 3080Ti.
If you absolutely wanna make sure you'll have good ventilation:
  • 2x140 front intake
  • 1x120 bottom intake (120mm because usually the gap left between the HDD cage and the PSU is kinda small and squeezing a 140mm there might not be an option)
  • 1x140 rear exhaust
  • 3x140 top exhaust

Done. That's a ton of airflow right there.

I have 2x140 front intake, 1x120 bottom intake, 1x120 rear exhaust and a 360 AIO on top exhausting. My 1080Ti FE with the stock cooler and a custom fan curve sits at 70-75c at load with 20-25c ambient temp.

·
Registered
732 Posts
You can brute force things like friend above me said, but it's not ideal. You have good airflow cases starting from 50-70 bucks. A lian li 215 for example, with the 200mm fans changed to some decent 3x140mm, like f140mp for example. You can find them at 10€ on aliexpress if you live in europe or asia. Ofc the case doesnt have a lot of quality, but it's dirth cheap and achieves maximum airflow with low cost and fairly low RPM, unlike the last fractal cases "reinventing the wheel" for extra cost.
Got a meshify C, and im a big fan of the define S (mostly for it's potential to tune it and configure it differently from the conventional way), but fractal kind of gone on a wrong path if you ask me...... and they keep using the same crappy fans, while charging a premium.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I donsee why it wouldn't be good for a 3080Ti.
If you absolutely wanna make sure you'll have good ventilation:
  • 2x140 front intake
  • 1x120 bottom intake (120mm because usually the gap left between the HDD cage and the PSU is kinda small and squeezing a 140mm there might not be an option)
  • 1x140 rear exhaust
  • 3x140 top exhaust

Done. That's a ton of airflow right there.
3 top exhaust fans might be an overkill, really...
I agree about 2 front and 1 bottom intakes (the bottom one might not be neccessary if both HDD cages are removed), as well as rear exhaust. But I would only use a single top exhaust at most (the one closest to the rear), and only if the rear one is not sufficient. I'd start with a simple 2 front, 1 rear setup and build from there if needed.

I would also take off all the PCI covers from the back panel, not just ones for the GPU, to improve airflow in the case. It's something Doyll recommended to me, I did it on Define S and my Strix 1080Ti is pretty cool, no bottom intake needed. Your mileage may vary but it's easy enough to try...

Also, a slight undervolt goes a long way on hot GPUs like the 3080Ti...
And definitely replace the stock fans, if you haven't already.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Got another Meshify 2 in, and yet again it has powder coating problems. The scuffs/scratches are in almost exactly the same places as on the previous case, which tells me that Fractal needs to address this at the factory. I've been lucky to get nice reps at Newegg that understand. Not pictured is the largest scuff about four inches up, right on the thin strip of metal that surrounds the glass panel at the rear.

Does anyone else have these kinds of issues on their cases? Am I just too damn picky when spending $170? :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
Small scratches like that wouldn't really bother me. If there is a larger one though that might be different.

17601 - 17618 of 17618 Posts