Overclock.net banner

4621 - 4640 of 4681 Posts

·
Booo
687 Posts
I emailed them and they said so far they're focusing on the Strix.

Honestly, I'll go for whatever card I can get my hands on. I'd prefer EVGA, but if they sell out within a minute I'll just have to pick up something else, maybe a Strix in this case.

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
I refuse to buy GPU’s from Asus. After having two of my 2080ti die on me i do not want to deal with Asus crappy CS.

Guess I won’t be buying Heatkiller if they don’t come out with a FTW3 block :(

·
Booo
687 Posts
I refuse to buy GPU’s from Asus. After having two of my 2080ti die on me i do not want to deal with Asus crappy CS.

Yeah, it's hard to not go for EVGA. Maybe I'll go for the XC3, which should be based on reference PCB (not confirmed yet though). Should be easier to find blocks for a reference design.

I just remember my experience with ordering a 980ti 5 years ago. It took me over a month to finally get my hands on one, as it would sell out within a minute whenever there was new stock. I absolutely hate scalpers.

·
Founder
2,033 Posts
I would say to remain a bit more open minded in this situation.

Think about it from a logistics and revenue mindset.

Most blocks will be for reference PCB cards (FE's are NOT reference).

These will sell the most.

Custom PCBs won't sell as many, in which case they'll go for the PCB that sold the most the last generation. Which in this case was the Strix.

There's nothing wrong with the Strix cards. I have dealt with many of them in the past, and not a single one has ever given me any issues whatsoever. Neither have EVGA cards, but again we're talking about potential revenue for Watercool. They'll go with what will sell/has sold the most. I'd consider ourselves lucky if they decide to go with an AIB block on top of reference blocks. No other company is revealing info about custom PCB blocks, just reference.

·
I can count to potato
709 Posts
It's interesting that the founders edition is not a reference PCB this time around. I'll wait patiently until reference cards and blocks are in stock before pulling the trigger on anything. I noticed Watercool recently got two additional CNC machines. Hopefully once they get their blocks developed they can crank out enough to stay on top of the demand.

·
Registered
835 Posts
I would say to remain a bit more open minded in this situation.

Think about it from a logistics and revenue mindset.

Most blocks will be for reference PCB cards (FE's are NOT reference).

These will sell the most.

Custom PCBs won't sell as many, in which case they'll go for the PCB that sold the most the last generation. Which in this case was the Strix.

There's nothing wrong with the Strix cards. I have dealt with many of them in the past, and not a single one has ever given me any issues whatsoever. Neither have EVGA cards, but again we're talking about potential revenue for Watercool. They'll go with what will sell/has sold the most. I'd consider ourselves lucky if they decide to go with an AIB block on top of reference blocks. No other company is revealing info about custom PCB blocks, just reference.

From a performance perspective (2000 series comparison), the better candidate to utilize water cooling would be the FTW as the Power Limit is higher at 373 W, compared to the Strix 325 W (Strix can vary as well depending on the strix model you choose.). Stock 2000 series PL is 320 W and that gets throttled hard even at stock card settings. The extra 5 W PL from the Strix is negligible.

As well, the better warranty and customer service from EVGA trumps ASUS any day.

·
Registered
204 Posts

EVGA's warranty support is legendary. I've experienced it first hand along with several friends. Including several who had a last card gen act up (one the fan was just clicking) that were given a new gen card for free.

Asus on the other hand has legendarily bad customer support. Especially when it comes to waterblocks. I either go founders edition or EVGA if I block a card. Or pick up a card from microcenter and use their warranty, I had to do that last gen as I NEEDED a single slot card, only single slot (IO) 20 series was the Asus turbo from what I could find, sad I had to go with EK to get a single slot block. This gen I'm trying to wait to see what heatkiller does.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,636 Posts
EVGA's warranty support is legendary. I've experienced it first hand along with several friends. Including several who had a last card gen act up (one the fan was just clicking) that were given a new gen card for free.

Asus on the other hand has legendarily bad customer support. Especially when it comes to waterblocks. I either go founders edition or EVGA if I block a card. Or pick up a card from microcenter and use their warranty, I had to do that last gen as I NEEDED a single slot card, only single slot (IO) 20 series was the Asus turbo from what I could find, sad I had to go with EK to get a single slot block. This gen I'm trying to wait to see what heatkiller does.
I'll second or third that EVGA's warranty support is legendary, also a personal experience... that is how I got my current 1070.

I would disagree with Asus being legendarily bad, also because of personal experience. The worst experience I've encountered so far is with Gigabyte customer support. It seems that a ton of people agree with this where many have sent in RMA's only to have the item they sent in disappear completely with Gigabyte claiming to have either sent it back or to have never received it... Many also reporting getting stuff back that was worse when they got it, etc, etc...

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
Ok. Some updates. It appears that the Nvidia "Founders Edition" PCB is different from the "reference" PCB that AIB's will use (and should be the same across AIBs I have personally confirmed this from Jacob on EVGA's end). More likely than not... this means there would need to be a specific Founders Edition block and then a reference block (and then a big boi AIB block if possible). That's quite a mess of a situation. Honestly, if I was Watercool... I would not even bother with a "Founders" block if it can't be merged with the "reference" design. All of the different brand's reference sales will be higher than the Founders Edition. EDIT: Lol I should have scrolled up. I was LTTP with this... :upsidedwn

Attachments

·
Registered
204 Posts
The one thing I like about the FE card is the PCB will be tiny and that is REALLY appealing to me. I'm still over here hoping Heatkiller will somehow make their blocks thin enough to be single slot too.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
The one thing I like about the FE card is the PCB will be tiny and that is REALLY appealing to me. I'm still over here hoping Heatkiller will somehow make their blocks thin enough to be single slot too.
Another mess. At least we know early so we can avoid founders cards. I really don't know what card to get. AIB is going to be hell to get here in Canada. I more or less am looking to get from US online shops (that ship here).

·
Premium Member
2,391 Posts
Another mess. At least we know early so we can avoid founders cards. I really don't know what card to get. AIB is going to be hell to get here in Canada. I more or less am looking to get from US online shops (that ship here).
Yeah I've given up all hope of buying it locally. I'll be ordering direct from EVGA or wherever

·
Overclocker in training
12,890 Posts

Hi,
Best thing about evga they do the hydro copper so no waiting for a block at release.
FTW3 though I believe all they have is a hybrid this time which sux.
Only hydro copper I saw in 3090 is a FE :mad:

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi,
Best thing about evga they do the hydro copper so no waiting for a block at release.
FTW3 though I believe all they have is a hybrid this time which sux.
Only hydro copper I saw in 3090 is a FE :mad:
It was my understanding the evga blocks werent that great? Unsure how dated the info is. Actually, how much of a difference are we even expecting from different blocks in terms of temperature? Like 5>? Or is the biggest draw just aesthetics at this point?

·
Registered
427 Posts
I would rather go with EVGA, but I dont think they will make a block for it. So I think I will get a strix this time.

Are the strix and ftw3 releasing in sept too ? Anyone see prices for USA ?

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Once Jakob come back from his surgery (successful recovery), we will get more direct answers.

·
Booo
687 Posts
Any updates on 3080 blocks?

·
Registered
1,387 Posts
I was going to post this yesterday... I hope Watercool strongly considers this type of layout. IDK if it makes the most sense engineering/performance wise, but given the form factor of the PCB it makes a lot of practical and aesthetic sense. Specifically, I could see it working well with the Heatkiller design language (seems EK figured out covering the acrylic looks better).

This just looks infinitely better than a stubby, near square card like what we see from the latest Bitspower block for the Strix. Not to mention, by moving the terminal to the side, you reduce the spatial conflicts tall AIB cards run into (SFF cases or even some larger cases like the O11D in horizontal orientation).

Bottom line... I hope Watercool takes some risks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Do we have a timeline of when the rtx 3000 and the ryzen cpu blocks will be available for pre-order?
I think they said two months for gpu block. Its fits with the rumored difficultly to get the cards.

I don’t think they are updating the ryzen cpu blocks. There isn’t much change in design. Last they mentioned it was 1-2degree difference they noticed with larger cold plate.

4621 - 4640 of 4681 Posts