Overclock.net banner

15481 - 15500 of 16488 Posts

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
OK, could use some advice here. Trying to figure out how to get these sticks to post @ 4000 .. I think I may have just hit a wall as they aren't the best b-die bin, they are dual-rank, and apparently the Z390 DARK doesn't like dual-rank as well ..

G.Skill 32GB 3200CL15 ; F4-3200C15D-32GVK (2x16gb sticks) on a 9900K(5.0core/4.7cache) / EVGA Z390 Dark:

I've got 3600 15-15-15-28 / 2T rock solid @ 1.45v + 1.18v VCCIO/SA. I'm now trying to push 4000. I'm currently testing 3800 @ same timings with just a voltage bump to 1.5v, and it's going right now on Anta777 extreme. My issue though, is that I can't get the sticks to post at 4000 no matter what. I've tried loosening timings up to 18-18-18-36, pushing more voltage (up to 1.52v), and increasing VCCIO/VCCSA (even though I don't think that's the issue) and I get hung on post-code 4C every time. I'm running manual w/ XMP off, letting board Auto the RTL/IO timings.

Any tips? This will be for my 24/7 use so I don't want to push too much voltage if the vDIMM voltage is the issue. As far as I understand, 1.55v is still OK, probably max?
Core i-9 9xxx CPU's do really hate dual rank 16GB modules above 3800 tho so it might just be the CPU IMC being at it's end here. I had a 9900K P0 with a MSI Z390 Ace and a 9900KS with a Hero as well and neither of them would properly run above 3800 with DR 16GB so..

·
Registered
221 Posts
Can you show some screen shots of the timing etc?
Vdimm seems pretty high for the frequency
Here you go; agree, VDIMM is high for only 3800. It's a big jump from 1.45v, which might even be stable at 1.4v, I just never checked as I didn't want to settle at 3600. I confirmed that 3800 15-15-15-28 was unstable at 1.5v; gave an error running extreme1 anta777 in 15min. Bumped to 1.55v, and it ran two complete test passes.

I'm a little unfamiliar messing with tertiary timings, and have never messed with RTL/IO before; hence letting the board handle it. Latency seems nice and low at 37ns though, which is good!

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Here you go; agree, VDIMM is high for only 3800. It's a big jump from 1.45v, which might even be stable at 1.4v, I just never checked as I didn't want to settle at 3600. I confirmed that 3800 15-15-15-28 was unstable at 1.5v; gave an error running extreme1 anta777 in 15min. Bumped to 1.55v, and it ran two complete test passes.

I'm a little unfamiliar messing with tertiary timings, and have never messed with RTL/IO before; hence letting the board handle it. Latency seems nice and low at 37ns though, which is good!

Do you have Asrock Timing Configurator?
It's much easier to look at
Also I think F12 for bios shots to a USB :)
tRTP probably doesn't need to be that tight
Maybe you should list components in your sig
I may not be able to help but others will probably need that info on hand in a format they are familiar with :)

·
Registered
178 Posts
No man , I got the regular z490 dark. I had to rma my z390 dark and they didnt have any so they replaced it with the regular. The dark and kingpin version both came out at the same time.

Did the bios freeze during menory training? Or would it just freeze while trying to adjust settings? If your pci express isn't being recognized it sounds like you got a faulty board. I had a faulty msi z390 meg ace and my gpu was stuck in pcie 3.0 x8 and I experienced all kinds of issues with that board.
Did you ever try lower voltages on sa/io and dimm? My z390 wouldnt train if sa/io was to high.
Did it take that long to train 4400 using single rank too?
It sucks getting faulty hardware.
Hopefully the apex serves you well.
Dark came Out 20th of may
Kingpin came out 4th of September

Board freezes even when just browsing through the settings in bios.
Sound card gets recognized one Boot and other Boot says pcie Slot empty.
Ive tested everything from 1.2sa/io up to 1,4+.
The bios is a complete joke, half of important settings are missing, completely unfinished.
Board Takes forever to train.
4400 wont train 9 Out of ten times.

Kingpin and normal dark are not even close.
Normal dark is faulty as hell, thats why they brought the kingpin as Hardware rev.2 with fixed errors.

Im Not the only one with this Problems in evga Forums, yet nobody from evga cares.

Evga is even lying About the board being 18phases...

"There is one awkward thing we must address. EVGA say the VRM is an 18-phase. There’s a slight problem with that – in the photo of the VRM EVGA shared, there are only 16 inductors visible in total. Every phase of a VRM needs at least one inductor. The very similar Z390 Dark is a “12+2+1+1”, and this is likely the same. That’s 12 phases for the core, 2 for iGPU, 1 for VCCSA and 1 for VCCIO. Maybe EVGA are also counting chipset and memory VRMs to make this up to 18. Even so, at 12+2 phases it’s still a very powerful VRM"

What a joke

·
Registered
122 Posts

The bios is a complete joke, half of important settings are missing, completely unfinished.

Normal dark is faulty as hell, thats why they brought the kingpin as Hardware rev.2 with fixed errors.

Im Not the only one with this Problems in evga Forums, yet nobody from evga cares.

"There is one awkward thing we must address. EVGA say the VRM is an 18-phase. There’s a slight problem with that – in the photo of the VRM EVGA shared, there are only 16 inductors visible in total. Every phase of a VRM needs at least one inductor. The very similar Z390 Dark is a “12+2+1+1”, and this is likely the same. That’s 12 phases for the core, 2 for iGPU, 1 for VCCSA and 1 for VCCIO. Maybe EVGA are also counting chipset and memory VRMs to make this up to 18. Even so, at 12+2 phases it’s still a very powerful VRM"

What a joke
Heres the bios setting i put to get 4600mhz, i didnt tighten timings but the board trained the first attempt in less than 20 seconds. The evga z490 dark was delayed along time, it did not come out may 20th it was released along side the kingpin edition. You had to of got a faulty board , or maybe theres something else causing issues, however if the bios is acting the way you say then im fairly positive the board is bad. i have a 2x16gb kit coming that ill test. My direct die mount should be here next week and ill be able to do more testing. i just wanted to show your 4600 is no issue to run. The xoc bios has alot more settings, such as skew wr/park/nom. Im not sure if it has pdd though. 18 phases is made up of 12 core, 2 igpu, 2 vccio, 1 vccsa, and 1 memory. Evga counts all the phases, it has 2 vccio because rocketlake needs it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I have yet to see Evga Dark being on par or better than Asus Apex in term of memory overclocking, without suicide memory oc on ln2.
So far, it looks lik it's not even close.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to be proven wrong :D

·
Registered
221 Posts
Core i-9 9xxx CPU's do really hate dual rank 16GB modules above 3800 tho so it might just be the CPU IMC being at it's end here. I had a 9900K P0 with a MSI Z390 Ace and a 9900KS with a Hero as well and neither of them would properly run above 3800 with DR 16GB so..
Sorry, didn't see this one earlier. Interesting! I hadn't heard about the 9900K/KS IMC not liking DR above 3800. I suppose that could be the issue too. I'm OK with 3800 with the tight(ish) timings for a noob if I can't get 4000 to post for one reason or the other; I can work on the secondary/tertiary timings later on. I was surprised to see 37ns latency, that seems nice and low.

Do you have Asrock Timing Configurator?
It's much easier to look at
Also I think F12 for bios shots to a USB :)
tRTP probably doesn't need to be that tight
Maybe you should list components in your sig
I may not be able to help but others will probably need that info on hand in a format they are familiar with :)
Haha, yeah F12 will send BIOS to USB, but my USB drive was upstairs; I have the PC in the basement with nice low ambients :) Sits right near an AC vent from the central cooling, so during the summer my temps are fantastic!

9900K @ 5Ghz/4.7cache, EVGA Z390 DARK, G.Skill F4-3200C15D-32GVK (2x16gb sticks)

Here's a screenshot of the ASROCK page. These settings @ 3800 are solid 100% stable @ 1.55v vDIMM (1.56v as DARK overvolts by 0.01mv). I just can't get 4000 to post, even when I leave secondary timings (such as tRTP and TREFI) on Auto, or with 18-18-18-36 set.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Heres the bios setting i put to get 4600mhz, i didnt tighten timings but the board trained the first attempt in less than 20 seconds. The evga z490 dark was delayed along time, it did not come out may 20th it was released along side the kingpin edition. You had to of got a faulty board , or maybe theres something else causing issues, however if the bios is acting the way you say then im fairly positive the board is bad. i have a 2x16gb kit coming that ill test. My direct die mount should be here next week and ill be able to do more testing. i just wanted to show your 4600 is no issue to run. The xoc bios has alot more settings, such as skew wr/park/nom. Im not sure if it has pdd though. 18 phases is made up of 12 core, 2 igpu, 2 vccio, 1 vccsa, and 1 memory. Evga counts all the phases, it has 2 vccio because rocketlake needs it.
I already did Wr/Park/nom, nothing helps.
Then its 12+1+1++++ and Not 18 like evga claims, big Difference.
It doesnt have ppd.
Anyway im done with the board, Asus is just way ahead.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I already did Wr/Park/nom, nothing helps.
Then its 12+1+1++++ and Not 18 like evga claims, big Difference.
It doesnt have ppd.
Anyway im done with the board, Asus is just way ahead.
You tested both dual and single rank right? 4400 was your max with dr or Sr?

I was just trying to show you how evga counts their vrm phases, and to show you that you more than likely got a faulty board. It happens and it sucks, I got faulty boards from msi, gigabyte and evga 9th gen. It was the first time I had got a faulty board in 10 years building pcs. I agree with you, the apex is a awesome board and would be my go to board for intel core and memory overclocking. I would of gotten one had i purchased a 10th gen board.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
Sorry, didn't see this one earlier. Interesting! I hadn't heard about the 9900K/KS IMC not liking DR above 3800. I suppose that could be the issue too. I'm OK with 3800 with the tight(ish) timings for a noob if I can't get 4000 to post for one reason or the other; I can work on the secondary/tertiary timings later on. I was surprised to see 37ns latency, that seems nice and low.

Haha, yeah F12 will send BIOS to USB, but my USB drive was upstairs; I have the PC in the basement with nice low ambients :) Sits right near an AC vent from the central cooling, so during the summer my temps are fantastic!

9900K @ 5Ghz/4.7cache, EVGA Z390 DARK, G.Skill F4-3200C15D-32GVK (2x16gb sticks)

Here's a screenshot of the ASROCK page. These settings @ 3800 are solid 100% stable @ 1.55v vDIMM (1.56v as DARK overvolts by 0.01mv). I just can't get 4000 to post, even when I leave secondary timings (such as tRTP and TREFI) on Auto, or with 18-18-18-36 set. View attachment 2465520
Pretty similar to what I ran. I used a touch of bclk to get to 3850Mhz on the RAM and using 1,55v I got 14-15-15-31-280-2T stable.

• Rep+
Reactions: acoustic

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have yet to see Evga Dark being on par or better than Asus Apex in term of memory overclocking, without suicide memory oc on ln2.
So far, it looks lik it's not even close.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'd like to be proven wrong :D
I know, the apex is a awesome board. Do you happen to know what the max achievable overclock has been on it with dual ranks? I know kingpin got close to 5k with the z490 kingpin, which is great for a dr kit. Im sure the apex has got higher, but the dark has improved alot from z390.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
I was testing if my RAM OC that was previously stable at 1.45v between 40-45c would be stable at 50-52c and for my surprise it wasn't, I had to bump voltage to 1.48v to be stable at these temperatures, is this normal behavior? The more the temperature it gets, more voltage it needs, just like CPU OC?

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
I was testing if my RAM OC that was previously stable at 1.45v between 40-45c would be stable at 50-52c and for my surprise it wasn't, I had to bump voltage to 1.48v to be stable at these temperatures, is this normal behavior? The more the temperature it gets, more voltage it needs, just like CPU OC?
Yes, like everything electronic :)

• Rep+
Reactions: ViTosS

·
Registered
53 Posts

What a joke
Where can I check my board revision?

·
Just hangin' out
1,254 Posts

Here's a screenshot of the ASROCK page. These settings @ 3800 are solid 100% stable @ 1.55v vDIMM (1.56v as DARK overvolts by 0.01mv). I just can't get 4000 to post, even when I leave secondary timings (such as tRTP and TREFI) on Auto, or with 18-18-18-36 set. View attachment 2465520

I get 4000MHz 2x16GB, but it is a 4000MHz kit, and it will not OC at all, except for a minor bclk increase.

• Rep+
Reactions: acoustic

·
Registered
57 Posts
@itssladenlol On my Dark KP, I have had no issues with going over 4600mhz using 16gb. Even using 1t, I can push 4800mhz without BCLK tuning.
4800mhz with 1T must have been with a 2 x 8gb setup right? What's the highest stable frequency you could reach with 1T and 2 x 16gb dimms? 2 x 16gb @ 4000mhz + 1T is still nearly impossible with the Z490 Apex, if EVGA's Dark Kingpin can manage that I'd love to hear about it.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
@itssladenlol On my Dark KP, I have had no issues with going over 4600mhz using 16gb. Even using 1t, I can push 4800mhz without BCLK tuning.
Post some benchmarks, or even Aida memorybenchmark to see the power of kingpin :)

This is my 4700c17 daily settings on Apex z490 xii. 4800c17 1t is no problem either, but need even more juice for 24/7 and require watercooled dimms.
4700c17 1t nizzen stabil.png

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
4800mhz with 1T must have been with a 2 x 8gb setup right? What's the highest stable frequency you could reach with 1T and 2 x 16gb dimms? 2 x 16gb @ 4000mhz + 1T is still nearly impossible with the Z490 Apex, if EVGA's Dark Kingpin can manage that I'd love to hear about it.
4400c17 is no problem on Apex with good dimms. With the new 4266c17 2x16 sticks, 4600c17+ is doable.

This is my 4000c19 2x16 sticks:

• Rep+
Reactions: SunnyStefan
15481 - 15500 of 16488 Posts