Overclock.net banner

16961 - 16967 of 16967 Posts

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Does anyone know if unstable RAM OC can cause infinite loading taskbar?

System:
Apex Z490
32GB DDR4 (16GBx2)

Reference photo:
View attachment 2480399
I get this kind of thing quite often if I go a step too far with the memory overclock
First thing to get corrupted seems to be the icon cache. To fix this I usually delete a particular icon cache file
Sounds like you need to have a look at this though How to Rebuild a Broken Icon Cache in Windows 10
Have you had any desktop icons change to a plain white folder?

A good test would be GSAT :)

• Rep+
Reactions: SoldierRBT

·
Registered
659 Posts
Thanks. Could it be related to temperature? I’ve noticed that after gaming for a few hours and then doing multiple restarts it would do it sometimes. Any way to fix it?
Basically it means your ram is still unstable. Could be temp. High temperature can decrease the signal quality. You can increase VCCSA or decrease your tREFI.

Can also try @munternet 's method to fix if that problem persists.

• Rep+

·
Registered
293 Posts
I get this kind of thing quite often if I go a step too far with the memory overclock
First thing to get corrupted seems to be the icon cache. To fix this I usually delete a particular icon cache file
Sounds like you need to have a look at this though How to Rebuild a Broken Icon Cache in Windows 10
Have you had any desktop icons change to a plain white folder?

A good test would be GSAT :)
Thanks I'll try that. I haven't seen any desktop icons change to plain white folder just infinite loading taskbar and system tray icons disappear. I'm not sure but it could be related to temperature since it happens after I run a test or gaming and then I do multiple restarts. I'm running 1.59v on Ripjwas stock heatsink 4500 16-17-17-34 1.34v IO/SA. 2x16GB. I tested it with TM5 Extreme and it passed.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Thanks I'll try that. I haven't seen any desktop icons change to plain white folder just infinite loading taskbar and system tray icons disappear. I'm not sure but it could be related to temperature since it happens after I run a test or gaming and then I do multiple restarts. I'm running 1.59v on Ripjwas stock heatsink 4500 16-17-17-34 1.34v IO/SA. 2x16GB. I tested it with TM5 Extreme and it passed.
GSAT is probably more important at this stage. Just run it from USB if you don't have the time to install GSAT (Google Stressful Application Test) on a tiny...
There is a link in my sig to install

• Rep+

·
Premium Member
5,692 Posts
Intel has killed its Performance Tuning Protection Plan I read. But peeps abused it, would get a CPU that never performed well, then purposely destroy it with max voltages to get a new, hopefully better one. :(

16961 - 16967 of 16967 Posts