Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 3471 Posts

·
Enthusiast
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
This post aged well. You mean like 8% not 20%.
No, it's very close to 20%, 16.74% faster in CPU-Z to be exact, which is lower than the real number, I'm trying to get some R23 scores which are more accurate, I'll let you know once I got them.
Just read through it, very good article, it definitely has some minor issues here and there, but easily the best one out so far, very in-depth, no need to look elsewhere. But of course, stay tuned, I'll get some proper benchmarks going as soon as I receive my motherboards and processors.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Well, call me stupid and dumb.
Had a Strix A on order.
Cancelled for a DDR5 board.
Had two different sets of DDR5 orders.
Cancelled the DDR5 orders as ETA got blown out.
Ordered the Strix A again.

• Haha
Reactions: Zurv

·
Not New to Overclock.net
6,292 Posts
Well, call me stupid and dumb.
Had a Strix A on order.
Cancelled for a DDR5 board.
Had two different sets of DDR5 orders.
Cancelled the DDR5 orders as ETA got blown out.
Ordered the Strix A again.
dont worry. strix A 4kc14 is fine. u should get arnd 45ns

as for ddr4 adl vs rkl
toppc has a video on this.
but because msi likes to do xoc cooling ram oc hci .. normally ignore their "daily stable" possibilities

Light Font Screenshot Software Display device

the problem is how much limited will u be cpu oc.

·
Enthusiast
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
Got the boards and processors a day after launch since it was shipped, and took some time to prepare the new setup, but it's running now. The board I've chosen to start with is the Strix A, with it, the i9-12900K and a dual rank memory kit, but trying to locate a single rank one as well to demonstrate the difference, will post regular updates throughout the coming week.
Publication Font World Material property Tints and shades

Font Material property Publication Technology Advertising

Plant World Font Technology Electric blue

Amber Automotive lighting Font Tints and shades Circle

Dishware Automotive design Automotive lighting Silver Tableware

·
Registered
177 Posts

·
Banned
4,672 Posts
View attachment 2531448

View attachment 2531449
Glasses Goggles Vision care Sunglasses Eye glass accessory

·
Old School Overclocker !
517 Posts
@zhrooms ,i'm really looking forward to your findings and results on ddr4. Thanks for doing this !

·
Enthusiast
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #36 · (Edited)
Edit: Apparently, my i9-12900K that I purchased for close to €699, is.. defective!

I have edited my previous explanation (below) of the error, to no longer put any blame on the BIOS by ASUS (Strix-A).

So what happens is that it (now I know it's the 12900K and not the board) refuses to boot in channel A, so a DIMM in A2 and B2 slot is a no go, it flat out refuses to boot, and that's in Safe Mode after a CMOS Clear or a failed Overclock. The only way to get A2 and B2 (Dual Channel) to work is if I first insert one or two DIMMs into channel B, so B1 and/or B2 slots, then it immediately boots, and the only way I managed to successfully boot with A2 and B2 was to increase voltages, basically raised everything, then a save & restart, and after that a manual shut down on the power button, then moving one of the sticks back to A2, start the system, so it has that pre-loaded BIOS profile with increased voltages, then it works, but.. it all collapses as soon as I have a failed boot, then I start over from step one, having to remove one of the sticks in A1 or A2.. extremely time consuming, we're talking up to 10-15 minutes each time it fails since it can fail multiple times in a row for no reason, not a guarantee that I can do that "Save & Restart" method even on one stick to increase the voltages, and tested it with only the essentials, 24+8-Pin cable, a Power Button and a DisplayPort cable for the iGPU, nothing else connected, on the latest BIOS, and with 3 different memory kits (6 sticks), just an absolute nightmare, wasted a whole day of testing because of this. And to clarify, the board technically works (now I know it always worked), as long as I can get past the boot issue, ran some Cinebench R23 to make sure the CPU is working as intended and it does (it clearly doesn't as it turns out), 18.000 score at just 4.4 GHz (P-Cores only), that's the same score as my 11700K at ~5.6 GHz (+1.2 GHz), and the 11700K was already very fast, for a 10700K to beat my 11700K at 4.6 GHz, it had to run ~5.6 GHz (+1 GHz).

Ram sticks tested for those curious: 16GB Dual Rank B-die (3600C14/4266C17) / 8GB Single Rank B-die (3600C16) / 8GB Single Rank (Unknown 3200C16)

Been so excited to test and then this happens, at least I can share a few more pics I took during installation (funnily enough of the Strix-A 12900K that doesn't work..).
Switching out the Strix-A for the Elite AX now, will report back soon.
- (I did switch it out, I'm currently on the Elite AX and 12700K, memory working just fine, confirming that it was the 12900K, defective memory channel, the odds of that happening is one in a billion..)
Photograph Line Rectangle Font Typesetting
Circuit component Rectangle Hardware programmer Font Computer hardware
Rectangle Font Gadget Technology Electric blue
Circuit component Black Hardware programmer Font Rectangle
Rectangle Building Font Art Urban design
Automotive design Automotive lighting Hood Space Engineering
Entertainment Visual effect lighting Musical instrument accessory Technology Space
Automotive lighting Entertainment Technology Magenta Darkness

·
Facepalm
10,928 Posts
Not doing this again. Defective CPU or not, a Z590 dark's RAM issues (extreme instability with one slot) was fixed by Deoxit D5 (dirty slot).

·
Enthusiast
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Not doing this again. Defective CPU or not, a Z590 dark's RAM issues (extreme instability with one slot) was fixed by Deoxit D5 (dirty slot).
I made sure to clean both sticks and CPU (even though it's brand new), nothing helped, tried literally everything, but finally realized it wasn't the board when I got the exact same issue on the Gigabyte Elite AX, refused to boot with a stick in A1 or A2, swapped CPU after I had cleaned the 12900K (when it still didn't want to work), and with the new CPU (12700K), instantly worked. But I'll keep that advice in mind.

Here's my first attempt at high frequency (back on the Strix A for now), only thing I did was set 133:100, 4133 MT/s, 16-16-16-28-2T, 360 RFC and 32000 REFI, 1.45V DRAM.
Product Font Screenshot Technology Electronic device

I knew this specific overclock should work since I ran the same but 280 RFC and 65K REFI 24/7 on Z370 Apex, I did try pushing it to 4266 after this screenshot but it was a no-go.

This specific memory kit is 2x 8GB Single Rank B-die from 2017, among the first ever batches of Trident Z RGB, highest frequency I ever booted with them on Apex was 4600, so they should do 4266 with some tweaking, but my first attempt at 4266 did not work, I will try and push it when I get some sleep, as well as push the 2x 16GB Dual Rank B-die from 2021 (December 2020).
(Also take into consideration that my 12900K was defective, meaning I have to use 12600K & 12700K which might mean the IMC is not as strong!)

·
Registered
262 Posts
I made sure to clean both sticks and CPU (even though it's brand new), nothing helped, tried literally everything, but finally realized it wasn't the board when I got the exact same issue on the Gigabyte Elite AX, refused to boot with a stick in A1 or A2, swapped CPU after I had cleaned the 12900K (when it still didn't want to work), and with the new CPU (12700K), instantly worked. But I'll keep that advice in mind.

Here's my first attempt at high frequency (back on the Strix A for now), only thing I did was set 133:100, 4133 MT/s, 16-16-16-28-2T, 360 RFC and 32000 REFI, 1.45V DRAM.
View attachment 2531638
I knew this specific overclock should work since I ran the same but 280 RFC and 65K REFI 24/7 on Z370 Apex, I did try pushing it to 4266 after this screenshot but it was a no-go.

This specific memory kit is 2x 8GB Single Rank B-die from 2017, among the first ever batches of Trident Z RGB, highest frequency I ever booted with them on Apex was 4600, so they should do 4266 with some tweaking, but my first attempt at 4266 did not work, I will try and push it when I get some sleep, as well as push the 2x 16GB Dual Rank B-die from 2021 (December 2020).
(Also take into consideration that my 12900K was defective, meaning I have to use 12600K & 12700K which might mean the IMC is not as strong!)
4266 error, i think its not Ram problem, its yours memory controller that cant handle its speed anymore.

DDR4 4133 gear1=1:1 divider and MC is 2061.7Mhz runs at least your pic from it.

DDR4 4266 gear1=1:1 divider and yours MC is 2133Mhz, it cant handle it anymore.

SA voltage increasing or lower CPU temp needed to get it work on higher clocks.

What SA voltage on that MC 2061Mhz?

·
Old School Overclocker !
517 Posts
I was testing my 12600k and Asus Strix-A D4 all night and into early morning and i could not get my Trident-z memory kit 2x16gb ddr4-4000Mhz Cas 19 B-die A0 higher than ddr4-2800Mhz 1:1 memory controller , no matter volts and loose timmings , SA all the way up from 1.25v to 1.50v and in between , mem vtt 1.09v , nothing worked. Maxed out at ddr4-2800Mhz , it seems my chip hates early Sammies dual rank 2x16gb.

Then after a long strugle with a 32gb mem kit i tried my good g.skill neo 2x8gb 3800 Cas 14 and easily i could get 4100 but that was the ceiling for me with good known mem kit sammies B-die A2. This bios seems kind of rough and need some work as there is memory holes , dividers not working , sometimes doing just a reboot it will boot normally into windows at set memory speeds 1:1 with memory controller but with default timmings and Not the ones i dialed in. I end it up just running the xmp mem timings Cas 14 at ddr4-4100Mhz ran a couple of benchmarks and i quit of exhaustion , tired and sleepy depraved. Cooling was a Dual compressors single stage -55c iddle -49c load. v.core1.55v with llc 4 , SA 1.35v , mem vtt 1.06v .

Property Furniture Table Light Product

• Rep+
Reactions: jayfkay
21 - 40 of 3471 Posts