Overclock.net banner

[Official] Intel Z690 / Z790 DDR4 Daily Memory Overclock

1M views 7K replies 453 participants last post by  Ichirou 
#1 · (Edited)
#6,236 ·
Please let me know how it goes.

Are the MSI boards better for the 13900ks and ddr4 2x16 dual rank b-dies?

#6,237 ·
Please let me know how it goes.

Are the MSI boards better for the 13900ks and ddr4 2x16 dual rank b-dies?
ASUS Strix Z690/Z790 is better for Samsung B-die dual DIMMs. But the Z790 Tomahawk/Edge are just as good as well for them.

• Rep+
Reactions: menko2
#6,239 ·
On a sad note I've decided to return both SR and DR kits I'd bought and invest my time into DDR 5, planning on getting a motherboard with die sense, I'm curious if the z790 aorus master has it since it seems to have the quirks of an XOC board like post code etc. Otherwise it's either an elite AX (banger mobo for $290) or z790i edge. Hopefully it all comes together and my DDR 5 imc is just as good as my d4 one.

• Rep+
Reactions: menko2
#6,240 ·
Thank you HemuV2.

Which motherboard do you recommend for my set up?

I always used Asus but I'm open for another if t's better.

I really want to stay in ddr4 for stability and my dual rank b-die kit. It's TridentZ RGB.
F4-4000C16-32GTRA
Stock 4000mhz 16-16-16-36@ 1.4v.

#6,247 ·
Hi Guys,

Could you help me out with setting up my 4x8g Patriot Viper 4400 (I belive those are SR) on my MSI PRO Z690-A / 13700KF ?

With default settings it will not post beyond 3600Mhz, I managed to make it boot to 3800Mhz by manually changing ODT Park to 40 but I have no clue if that did it or was it pure luck. Right now it is booting to windows at below settings and still need to test it with TM5 but I would like to reduce the latency. Looking at everyones results it should be possible.
My VDIMM is 1.5V, VCCSA 1.250 (increasing it has no effect).
Light Black Font Screenshot Biome

#6,248 ·
Hi Guys,

Could you help me out with setting up my 4x8g Patriot Viper 4400 (I belive those are SR) on my MSI PRO Z690-A / 13700KF ?

With default settings it will not post beyond 3600Mhz, I managed to make it boot to 3800Mhz by manually changing ODT Park to 40 but I have no clue if that did it or was it pure luck. Right now it is booting to windows at below settings and still need to test it with TM5 but I would like to reduce the latency. Looking at everyones results it should be possible.
My VDIMM is 1.5V, VCCSA 1.250 (increasing it has no effect).
View attachment 2610930
Try increasing VDDQ TX (VDDQ CPU). Might have to go fairly high (1.5v+).

#6,253 ·
y-cruncher vst alone is not enough for imc stability... 😥 Battlefield 2042 if cpu bound and using 90+%gpu(1080p low) and The Last of Us building shaders can both crash. y-cruncher vst + furmark at the same time seems enough though, requires like extra 0.03v.

I think this happens because System agent is responsible for PCIe also, and if you open hwinfo you can see system agent power increasing if you use gpu.

#6,254 ·
I never recommend VST alone. It has to be N64, HNT, and VST together.
Also, those IMC tests do not test the CPU core stability. You gotta rely on the main test and/or SFT for that instead.
They are easier to pass in comparison to those as they are focused on the IMC, not the core.

#6,263 ·
If the E-cores are disabled, the E-Core L2 Cache Voltage does nothing.

• Rep+
Reactions: KyKo.
#6,273 ·
Got my 32GB kit, I was in the past 3 days trying to solve one big problem that was driving me to think that I lost so hard at the lottery, see what happened:

1 - 4000CL16-16-16-36 1.40v XMP kit, can't get stable anything higher than the XMP frequency, even with just primaries at 16s and AUTO subtimings
2 - 4000CL15-15-15-36 1.45v VDRAM all subtimings tight was stable, lead me to think that this kit was binned at it's own limit on XMP and doesn't like frequency past the XMP one
3 - Went back to trying 4200CL16 again - VDDQ AUTO (set to 1.50v) and SA from 1.25 to 1.40v manually and also SA AUTO (set to 1.32v), VDRAM from 1.45v up to 1.60v, nothing seems to make 4200CL16 or 4100CL16 work, even with all AUTO subtimings, just primaries set, observed that 1.42v VDDQ was showing BSOD while trying to boot, 1.45v-1.50v boots normally, but errors in TM5 as usual
4 - So one last thought, I remembered someone mentioned here was using 1.35v VDDQ and the fact that I was having BSOD with 1.42v made me thought to never try below 1.45v, so I decided to try 1.35v just for the sake of it, surprisingly it boots, but again errors in TM5, so one last try was to set 1.30v VDDQ, and for my surprise I was able to pass 1 cycle of TM5, now for some reason that I have no ideia, 1.45v VDDQ is fine for 4000CL15 but intolerable for 4200CL16, it HAS TO BE set to 1.30v VDDQ, now knowing this I will try to reduce primary timings further, since the rest is already tight.

Sky Font Urban design Plant Natural landscape

• Rep+
Reactions: petrupx and menko2
#6,274 ·
Monday I'll probably start building my PC and I have the same 2x16gb 4000c16 and also motherboard as you have. I got a have a MSI Edge ddr4 just in case the Strix-a D4 fail.

Did you tried the method for OC the ram of turning the e-cores off when doing the ram OC?

It seems the less thing that could interfere the better so you know what the ram-mobo-cpu can do with minimum interference.

#6,285 ·
Anyone know the best BIOS to flash on a MSI z690 DDR4 Edge Wi-Fi? Just wondering, the BIOS I’m running currently is (E7D31IMS.120) and I don’t know about this one, I get some weird CPU-Z Multicore Scores.

#6,286 ·
If you don't have a 12900KS or newer, use BIOS V1.22. It was the best in my experience; had the most headroom available for memory overclocking.

• Rep+
Reactions: ItsCash
#6,287 ·
ive been trying to diagnose some issues. read something about manually setting L2 cache voltage to keep voltage from spiking down a lot when e cores arent used, because when left on auto and while overclocking ring it can affect stability. On Gigabyte boards all I see is "Internal L2atom override" which has Auto - Enable - Disable options, "Internal L2atom voltage" where I can just pick a voltage value from the drop down, "Internal L2atom offset".

are these the correct settings? which should i use and what value is safe?

#6,293 ·
I had never managed to get "Memory try it" to help at all, but finally found some use for it. I've been looking for a way to reduce VDDQ TX as I've been running 1.58v for a long time with a 4200CL15 tune. I don't think I can get to 4200, but maybe 4100 with this config (4000 shown below), but wow did that ever reduce the need for VDDQ TX (1.2v). This is what "auto" set in the bios and I found that it worked the best.

I'm testing 1.25 SA right now too (screenshot has 1.35v), but I think 1.25v will work as well as that is what I've been running with the 4200 tune.

Anyway, I'll probably get this as good as I can and use it daily, save the 4200 tune for benching (which is actually stable enough to bench at 4300).

The interesting thing about this is with the bios configured this way. high VDDQ doesn't even train. It trains the best at very low values like 1.2v. Thought this might be of interest to anyone that might be wanting to keep voltages low with a decent tune, if not Max OC. Just thought I'd pass it along in case it helps someone.

Computer Light Font Personal computer Line

#6,298 ·
So went ahead and took my 4400/c19 Patriot Vipers 16GB 2x8Gb sticks out and decided to try my G.Skills Ripjaws 4000/c16 32GB 4x8Gb sticks out again trying to get these stable and below 55ns in Aida is pretty much impossible so far, my progress is somewhat below average as I'm still trying to figure out the best way to overclock these sticks of 4, I've only messed with the primaries, lost on what to with the others?
Colorfulness Computer Personal computer Font Line

#6,299 ·
Use BIOS V1.22 for that particular setup.

#6,303 · (Edited)
I was offered £70 for my 2x16GB 3200 C16 Ballistix kit which has single rank 16Gbit Rev B. I've currently got it overclocked to 4000mt/s G1

Should I sell the kit and then put £8 on top to buy a Kingston Renegade 2x16GB 3600 C16-20-20-39 kit KF436C16RB1K2/32? Which according to MSI and Gigabyte Z690 DDR4 QVL uses dual rank Hynix 8Gbit DJR. ASUS and Asrock QVL only says Hynix DS (Double Sided?). Not sure what other possible IC it may come with. Is there a chance it'll be CJR? I'll be overclocking this too

Is this worth the hassle or is there not enough performance difference between SR and DR to bother?

#6,304 ·
No. Hynix is not great for ADL/RPL as its best performance is in high frequencies (5,000+ MHz), which requires you to run Gear 2.

Just overclock your 2x16 GB Micron B-die kit further. It's a better die for overclocking. See my signature ;)

#6,307 ·
How does 13900k and z690 vcssa and vddq operate? Is it like a bell curve for whats optimal or do u just keep adding on until suddenly it becomes wildly unstable. It took me days to realise that my memory overclocking is a random mess with vcssa and vddq above 1.3. I randomly guessed 1.25 for both and suddenly everything is passing through and more vdimm is resulting in tighter timings and its become somewhat predictable.

#6,308 ·
VCCSA is pretty much more = better, but you don't want to go over 1.35V for longevity sake.
VDDQ has a sweet spot and although it will scale up to 1.60V, you kind of start killing the board beyond 1.55V. Try to stay under 1.50V if possible.

#6,316 ·
Enable Round Trip Latency in the training algorithms page.

• Rep+
Reactions: Uncle Dubbs
#6,321 ·
BIOS V1.30 still remains the best BIOS for the Z790 Edge DDR4 in my testing. Newer BIOSes up to V1.60 haven't really managed to correct the issue of the BIOS arbitrarily destabilizing training at 4,300 MHz. It also emits a lot less VRM and PCH heat compared to others, which is nice.

#6,323 ·
I haven't touched the Z690 Edge DDR4 for many months now. Back then. V1.91 (IIRC) was the latest available, and it was pretty good for 13th Gen chips. But V1.22 was the best for pre-12900KS chips.

#6,331 ·
Honestly I got no idea what's happening, it'll work and then not work. I reverted a bios for the heck of it and it seems to be worse than the latest. Flashed latest bios, slapped in suggested settings and 1.35 sa and dq and it'll pass a few vst runs, then I'll go add some voltage and all stability will be lost forever lmao.
Font Screenshot Software Technology Electronic device

#6,334 ·
Honestly I got no idea what's happening, it'll work and then not work. I reverted a bios for the heck of it and it seems to be worse than the latest. Flashed latest bios, slapped in suggested settings and 1.35 sa and dq and it'll pass a few vst runs, then I'll go add some voltage and all stability will be lost forever lmao.
View attachment 2612783
IME 13gen that are stable with 4000+gear1 under 1.3v VCCSA is rare (to be 100%stable) and ring\cache need a combo of vcore and vccsa to be stable. my 13700kf have sweetspot att 1.33v VCCSA and 1.315\1.320 VDDQtx

#6,336 ·
Only reason why I've been so hell bent on 4300 thus far is because earlier today i let timings on xmp timings and 4300 went in with stock cl 16 and loose whatever's and vst was passing fine on 1.25 sa/dq, then it memory trains and bumps up trfc and trefi and whatever other timings and nothing stable again lmao. So I've just been trying to figure that out. The randomness and quirks don't seem to help.

#6,341 ·
Yeah, my 4,300 CL14 config passes perfectly fine as well, but even with Fast Boot enabled to supposedly prevent the BIOS from retraining, it can still destabilize and train off of it. Just because MSI says no.

Only speaking from experience. Can take that with a grain of salt if you wish.