21 - 40 of 1067 Posts

·
Super Moderator
32,931 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xeekei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by pioneerisloud View Post

I might be interested in joining. How well will a 7970 and i3 do in Linux at 2560x1600? I'd be using kubuntu for reference if I do it.
I've heard problems with the 7000-series in Linux. Ubuntu-based distros are probably fine though.
That's not comforting lol. I know it sounds stupid but the whole reason I even want Linux is because windows 8 sucks so horribly. I just want an easy experience and kubuntu offers that to me. I don't even NEED the console to use it which was nice.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

Quote:

I might be interested in joining. How well will a 7970 and i3 do in Linux at 2560x1600? I'd be using kubuntu for reference if I do it.
I've heard problems with the 7000-series in Linux. Ubuntu-based distros are probably fine though.
That's not comforting lol. I know it sounds stupid but the whole reason I even want Linux is because windows 8 sucks so horribly. I just want an easy experience and kubuntu offers that to me. I don't even NEED the console to use it which was nice.
Yea, but don't take it to the bank though. I don't own a 79xx card, so I don't follow the development there. My 6950 works great in Arch though. I can tell you that much.

·
Premium Member
8,564 Posts
I know it's asking a lot...but I think I'd be less let down by Valve if they released a game on Linux FIRST. I'd be happy with them if the games they have released were actually all ported and better than Windows performance. L4D2, CS1.6, and Day of Defeat Source are sorely lacking in performance right now. I wish I could find the article but I think it had to do with how Valve is porting games that is basically a "half-way" effort and hence not as good as it could have been. One thing that kind of makes me laugh is how in a 64bit linux install you have to do some work to get flash working or risk running into the crash on video loading bug in Steam. I seriously wish I could accelerate Flash's death because that crappy piece of software has been a bane of my computing life (even in Windows).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:

I've actually tried that combination for a while before.
The Linux AMD graphics drivers are desperately in need of attention.
It's stutter/frame-drop galore.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSCoder4ever View Post

Well if this is a club, might as well add a members list!
thumb.gif
Agreed, I will work on one. I am going to look through some other threads to get a feel for the best way to keep track of the members.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

I think we need an OCN Steam for Linux username list with our most frequently played games
thumb.gif
That is an awesome idea!! Although there are probably quite a few people who might not use Steam for all of their games, a lot of the newer Linux gamers (such as myself) will use Steam for almost all of their gaming. High-five Shrak!
Quote:

Yes, I have also heard about the 7000 series having a few issues with the drivers, but that is also why we have this "club", just in case someone who games on Linux knows how to make the best of the AMD drivers for the 7000 series GPUs. My only experience with the AMD drivers was for my APU I ran under Linux, which seemed to run decently. I do have hope the AMD drivers will improve...
thumb.gif

Quote:

Anyone else watching The International 3? Na'Vi vs Orange at the moment.
I assume you play Dota 2... If you are down to play sometime, let me know!

·
Registered
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunRises View Post

Quote:

Anyone else watching The International 3? Na'Vi vs Orange at the moment.
I assume you play Dota 2... If you are down to play sometime, let me know!
Yea, sure. I suck though, because I started playing when Dota 2 released on Linux, and I'm European, so if you're American one of us would need to live with high latency.

·
Registered
319 Posts
As soon as I put together a rig I'll be able to formally join. Until then I don't really have any Linux boxes good enough to game on. I've been gaming in OS X lately since all I really play anymore is Dota2 and CSGO.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Quote:

Doesn't it only run on Ubuntu though?

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Quote:

Yea, sure. I suck though, because I started playing when Dota 2 released on Linux, and I'm European, so if you're American one of us would need to live with high latency.
Nah, I live in Germany currently. So that works out haha.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eatfoodnow View Post

As soon as I put together a rig I'll be able to formally join. Until then I don't really have any Linux boxes good enough to game on. I've been gaming in OS X lately since all I really play anymore is Dota2 and CSGO.
Sounds good to me!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Psyrical View Post

Doesn't it only run on Ubuntu though?
If you are referring Steam, it runs on many if not all distros! Also, Kubuntu is based on Ubuntu with the KDE GUI if I remember correctly. Most of the distros that newer people to Linux try out are based on Ubuntu. So Steam should work fine on them. If you are curious about trying out Steam on a Linux distro, just let me know and I can help you out!

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
I'd join but I hardly game anymore. I just don't have the time for it.

Been gaming on Linux since ~Summer 2006. Exclusively since late 2007 - with the exception of summer 2011.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xaero252 View Post

I'd join but I hardly game anymore. I just don't have the time for it.

Been gaming on Linux since ~Summer 2006. Exclusively since late 2007 - with the exception of summer 2011.
Its ok if you dont necessarily game all that much anymore. I think your experience with playing games on Linux and Linux knowledge in general would be valuable to others who might have questions though. If you wanted to contribute your experiences should questions arise, it would be much appreciated!
thumb.gif

·
Linux Lobbyist
2,040 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedSunRises View Post

Its ok if you dont necessarily game all that much anymore. I think your experience with playing games on Linux and Linux knowledge in general would be valuable to others who might have questions though. If you wanted to contribute your experiences should questions arise, it would be much appreciated!
thumb.gif
I like spreading my knowledge.. Which reminds me, I need to get back to work on my data forensics guide.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Thought I'd chime in here - the native Steam client coming to Linux has changed my gaming world. Not only for the Valve games, but the indie games that run on Linux too. I'm running Mint x64 on my laptop and my rig (14 & 15, respectively), and it's been a good experience on the laptop (Nvidia GT630M) apart from having to wrestle with bumblebee.

My rig has been a nightmare though - the ATI 4850 doesn't have proper compatible drivers. The choices are open-source, which seem to be little better than Intel GMA in terms of performance), or closed-source legacy, which are incompatible with the newer Xorg versions. And running an old version of Mint isn't an option, as the kernel would be too old. Luckily someone has created a repo which downgrades the Xorg packages for you, but the result is very glitchy, and the performance is way off the Windows version (I can max L4D2 on Windows, and I'm on low/medium with no AA on Linux)

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Quote:
Originally Posted by chemicalfan View Post

Thought I'd chime in here - the native Steam client coming to Linux has changed my gaming world. Not only for the Valve games, but the indie games that run on Linux too. I'm running Mint x64 on my laptop and my rig (14 & 15, respectively), and it's been a good experience on the laptop (Nvidia GT630M) apart from having to wrestle with bumblebee.

My rig has been a nightmare though - the ATI 4850 doesn't have proper compatible drivers. The choices are open-source, which seem to be little better than Intel GMA in terms of performance), or closed-source legacy, which are incompatible with the newer Xorg versions. And running an old version of Mint isn't an option, as the kernel would be too old. Luckily someone has created a repo which downgrades the Xorg packages for you, but the result is very glitchy, and the performance is way off the Windows version (I can max L4D2 on Windows, and I'm on low/medium with no AA on Linux)
Yeah I hear you, I havent had that bad of experiences with my AMD APU to be honest. It doesnt perform as well as on windows, but it does seem to work very well.

I will work on getting a list of members completed this weekend. Anyone know how to make one of those cool banners to put in the signature block? We should make it look pretty phenomenal... haha.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:

You'd probably be better off using the bleeding-edge Mesa/Linux kernel for your HD 4850.
The closed-source drivers still perform very poorly and then there's the legacy driver issues you mentioned.

My laptop has a GTX 780M and Bumblebee just doesn't cut it.
Very inconsistent/choppy/low frame rates (even using primus).

Gonna be a long wait until we get proper graphics switching from nVidia I suspect.
Still, I'm very excited with the push Linux gaming has gotten in the past year.

·
Registered
6,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Penguin View Post

You'd probably be better off using the bleeding-edge Mesa/Linux kernel for your HD 4850.
The closed-source drivers still perform very poorly and then there's the legacy driver issues you mentioned.

My laptop has a GTX 780M and Bumblebee just doesn't cut it.
Very inconsistent/choppy/low frame rates (even using primus).

Gonna be a long wait until we get proper graphics switching from nVidia I suspect.
Still, I'm very excited with the push Linux gaming has gotten in the past year.
If it's a driver issue, is bleeding-edge/upstream Mesa likely to help? Also, the drivers are part of Xorg, not the kernel (xf86-video-radeon). I could run bleeding-edge X, but I think I'd end up with a busted system far too regularly

And I find bumblebee pretty great once I got it working, WAY better than the HD3000 performance. It's very close to Windows in terms of performance (as in, CS:S get 30+ fps maxed)

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Quote:

If it's a driver issue, is bleeding-edge/upstream Mesa likely to help? Also, the drivers are part of Xorg, not the kernel (xf86-video-radeon). I could run bleeding-edge X, but I think I'd end up with a busted system far too regularly

And I find bumblebee pretty great once I got it working, WAY better than the HD3000 performance. It's very close to Windows in terms of performance (as in, CS:S get 30+ fps maxed)
Ideally you'd want to run the latest kernel, Mesa and Xorg driver.
They all have certain patches that contribute to the overall performance.
I haven't had any major issues with using the xorg-edgers PPA (except when I paired it with FGLRX).
I suggest you give it a trial to see how it all goes.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
So what flavor of Linux does everyone use? Just want to get a feel for the amount of diversity we have haha... I am personally using Linux Mint 15 at the moment... Before I was using Zorin OS 7 which was actually surprisingly nice

21 - 40 of 1067 Posts