Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 242 Posts

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought i'd make a thread for what seems to be an outstanding motherboard. I took delivery of mine a few days ago and just waiting for my 9900k to arrive (pre ordered thru amazon) Hoping we can start some good discussions in here concerning this board and any troubleshooting issue that may turn up... Anyone have anything to add?!

·
Linux Noob
1,182 Posts
I'm accustomed to and like the MSI BIOS, so I'll go MSI when I can. Nothing lower than an M5, though.
Thought about buying this board for my 8086, but then I saw no integrated graphics and no PS/2 connector and went "Wha....? They replaced the M5 and M7 with this? ????!!!!" It's their second best z390 board and it's the only one that has no PS/2 and no IGD?
I was disappointed that it wouldn't meet my needs.
Looks like the components are pretty good, though.
I look forward to seeing how well it runs for you.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm accustomed to and like the MSI BIOS, so I'll go MSI when I can. Nothing lower than an M5, though.
Thought about buying this board for my 8086, but then I saw no integrated graphics and no PS/2 connector and went "Wha....? They replaced the M5 and M7 with this? ????!!!!" It's their second best z390 board and it's the only one that has no PS/2 and no IGD?
I was disappointed that it wouldn't meet my needs.
Looks like the components are pretty good, though.
I look forward to seeing how well it runs for you.
Just curious sir, why would one buy a highend board like this (or MEG series in general) and want/need IGP outputs? im just a little confused. Also, why do you still have a need for a PS2 port? Im an OLD SCHOOL pc addict myself, but i moved away from PS2 2 generations ago... I understand tho, sometimes old habits are hard to break and nothing wrong with that at all. Appreciate your reply tho however!

I am an owner without a CPU to use with it. Waiting on that pre-order.
Terrible aint it! Im just itching to get my hands on my 9900k, praying amazon doesnt shaft me!

·
RTX Sight Unseen
2,373 Posts
Just curious sir, why would one buy a highend board like this (or MEG series in general) and want/need IGP outputs? im just a little confused. Also, why do you still have a need for a PS2 port? Im an OLD SCHOOL pc addict myself, but i moved away from PS2 2 generations ago!
If you are an extreme overclocker at some point USB ports start to malfunction, having a PS2 port for your keyboard allows for consistency. I'll be buying the EVGA Dark and it has PS/2.

·
Linux Noob
1,182 Posts
Just curious sir, why would one buy a highend board like this (or MEG series in general) and want/need IGP outputs? im just a little confused. Also, why do you still have a need for a PS2 port? Im an OLD SCHOOL pc addict myself, but i moved away from PS2 2 generations ago... I understand tho, sometimes old habits are hard to break and nothing wrong with that at all. Appreciate your reply tho however!

Terrible aint it! Im just itching to get my hands on my 9900k, praying amazon doesnt shaft me!
I like a PS/2 port because I like my old keyboard and a few times it has worked on troubled machines on boot when other usb devices have not.

I like the integrated graphics because there are times, especially on MSI motherboards, the PCIe GPU doesn't fully initialize and you end up with no screen. This is especially true when MSI fastboot is enabled. The IGP always works when the BIOS hangs and you have to reset. I also always install my operating systems using the IGP first and get it up and running before adding any GPUs. It also makes it easy to go back and forth between AMD and NVidia cards with no fuss during driver removal install. Sometimes in linux it's good to have two separate video devices. The IGD works well for that. It's also easy to use when building a new system. I can work on OCing the system before I even buy my GPU.

Old habits.

Addition: I buy high-end boards because they tend to have high-end components. I'm not really impressed with MSI's MEG line. From the looks of it, my old X-Power z270 and z170 M7 boards are of better and equal quality. I haven't looked, but the ACE looks only mildly upgraded from my current Z370 M5, but with no IGD.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
anyone having issues getting ANY memory timings with a "1T" command rate to boot?? I can set the most relaxed timings and set 1T and no post.... Can set the tightest timings with 2T and all is fine... anyone else?

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
am i stuck with 2T cause im using all 4 ram slots? Just dont ever remember intel based cpus/boards doing this to me like AMD was back in the day

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
so far this has been a fairly decent board to oc on. ive had a few days now with my 9900k and i have a few hardware issues with the board (1 dead usb 3.0 header, and 1 dead fan header) but she seems to clock okay and really hasent complained much. I absolutely hate the onboard nic... i found a huge mem leak after installing the killer drivers. Sitting at the desktop at idle with NO PROGRAMS RUNNING, i was nearing 6gb of used mem. As soon as i disabled the onboard nic and removed all the bloatware drivers for it, my ram usage went back to normal (1.6-2.0gb) so im using the built in Intel AC WIFI which works fantastic. I have 1 major grip, and that is i CAN NOT get the realtek sound app to load so i can adjust my eq. Gogole searching reveals its a common issue with no fix (So far)

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
WAT
227 Posts
new bios is out for our board, anyone try it yet? https://us.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-Z390-ACE#down-bios
I downloaded it today and was able to get my 32GB 4000 CL17 kit to XMP correctly finally. Was downclocking it to 3733 before this.

How did you spot the issue with the NIC? Can the NIC be run only with the Killer drivers? I see it using like 100 megs of ram, but not gigs. See photo I attached as an example.

Also how did you test for a dead fan header? I am trying to figure out if I have a bad RGB header, but unsure how to test it.

Where is MCE in the bios? And what type of OC's have you gotten?

Attachments

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I downloaded it today and was able to get my 32GB 4000 CL17 kit to XMP correctly finally. Was downclocking it to 3733 before this.

How did you spot the issue with the NIC? Can the NIC be run only with the Killer drivers? I see it using like 100 megs of ram, but not gigs. See photo I attached as an example.

Also how did you test for a dead fan header? I am trying to figure out if I have a bad RGB header, but unsure how to test it.

Where is MCE in the bios? And what type of OC's have you gotten?
The NIC issue I spotted when i was in task manager after a fresh win install and all new OS drivers installed and noticed my @ idle on desktop ram usage was over 5Gb!! so i back tracked and found that it was 100% the KILLER NIC BS software, so i just disabled it in the uefi and proceed to use the rather excellent Intel WIFI instead. apparently this is a known issue and still no fix on the horizon.

The way i stumbled across the dead fan header was I was attaching a case fan to 1 of the 2 fan headers near the dual 8pins CPU power plugs and noticed I had no rgb and the fan wasnt spinning, so I thought it may be controlled via uefi, so I went into the uefi and gave everything a solid look over again, to no avail. While pc was still on, I removed my side panel and just removed the fan plug into the next adjacent header and all was fine. So confirmed, DEAD FAN HEADER. Also have a completely dead usb 3.0 header, which is also confirmed..... weirdly enough tho, the board OC's pretty easily, and tho ports dont bother me enough to be worried about it, plus going thru an RMA is a PITA, so im content with what i have currently.

Would you recommend me trying out this BIOS since I am in fact using 4x8gb sticks of "B" die ram? currently operating @ 3635Mhz CL16

What do you mean by MCE? if you mean multi core enhancement..... I just use all core OC settings. Am i missing something?

and my current OC is rather simple @ the following
101Bclk x50 multi 9900k @ 5.05ghz 1.285v
LLC set to an even plain (Which seems to hold vcore steady, will test with DMM today)
4x8gb B die gskill @ 3635Mhz 16/16/16/35 38tFAW 2T Command 1.38vdimm
TitanXP OC'd
Everything under very highend water

Also, looking at your uploaded picture, 25% of your memory is currently in use. Unless im missing something that you are using in the background, that killer software is just a huge memory leak! Disable that **** and use the wifi if you can... Hell, even my "to desktop cold boots" are faster with that disabled. Its a POS NIC, and i wish MSI built this board with the tried and true Intel NIC

And yes, I have SPENT DAYSSSSSSSS trying to get the audio software to work so I can adjust the sound settings, but I can get ANY OF THE SOFTWARE to load, either the realtek sound app or the nahimic software. The base sound driver loads no issue, just none of the controlable software...... Known issue! Ive spent litterly days trying different audio drivers so those 2 apps will work, and nothing. and MSI uploaded a new audio driver a few days ago for this board, but even tho the driver on the download page says a new version, once you open up the download, its the same old FU*King driver that is from september.

·
WAT
227 Posts
The NIC issue I spotted when i was in task manager after a fresh win install and all new OS drivers installed and noticed my @ idle on desktop ram usage was over 5Gb!! so i back tracked and found that it was 100% the KILLER NIC BS software, so i just disabled it in the uefi and proceed to use the rather excellent Intel WIFI instead. apparently this is a known issue and still no fix on the horizon.

The way i stumbled across the dead fan header was I was attaching a case fan to 1 of the 2 fan headers near the dual 8pins CPU power plugs and noticed I had no rgb and the fan wasnt spinning, so I thought it may be controlled via uefi, so I went into the uefi and gave everything a solid look over again, to no avail. While pc was still on, I removed my side panel and just removed the fan plug into the next adjacent header and all was fine. So confirmed, DEAD FAN HEADER. Also have a completely dead usb 3.0 header, which is also confirmed..... weirdly enough tho, the board OC's pretty easily, and tho ports dont bother me enough to be worried about it, plus going thru an RMA is a PITA, so im content with what i have currently.

Would you recommend me trying out this BIOS since I am in fact using 4x8gb sticks of "B" die ram? currently operating @ 3635Mhz CL16

What do you mean by MCE? if you mean multi core enhancement..... I just use all core OC settings. Am i missing something?

and my current OC is rather simple @ the following
101Bclk x50 multi 9900k @ 5.05ghz 1.285v
LLC set to an even plain (Which seems to hold vcore steady, will test with DMM today)
4x8gb B die gskill @ 3635Mhz 16/16/16/35 38tFAW 2T Command 1.38vdimm
TitanXP OC'd
Everything under very highend water

Also, looking at your uploaded picture, 25% of your memory is currently in use. Unless im missing something that you are using in the background, that killer software is just a huge memory leak! Disable that **** and use the wifi if you can... Hell, even my "to desktop cold boots" are faster with that disabled. Its a POS NIC, and i wish MSI built this board with the tried and true Intel NIC

And yes, I have SPENT DAYSSSSSSSS trying to get the audio software to work so I can adjust the sound settings, but I can get ANY OF THE SOFTWARE to load, either the realtek sound app or the nahimic software. The base sound driver loads no issue, just none of the controlable software...... Known issue! Ive spent litterly days trying different audio drivers so those 2 apps will work, and nothing. and MSI uploaded a new audio driver a few days ago for this board, but even tho the driver on the download page says a new version, once you open up the download, its the same old FU*King driver that is from september.
So I cleared out all the Killer garbage and my memory usage at idle dropped 10%. I might try completely disabling it in the bios and see what it does. I installed the driver only without Killer's executable to install it and idle memory usage is still at around 10%.

I have had issues with mystic light. Can't get the Coolermaster 360 AIO I have to sync with it.

I fiddled with the OC last night and found I can just leave everything on AUTO except the core clock multiplier and get a stable 5.0. Ran it under XTU for an hour fine, ran Der8auer's recommended Prime95 26.6 for an hour, thing ran fine. The VCORE does not display correctly under CPUZ, so had to download the beta version of HWINFO which apparently displays it correctly. It ran with pretty low voltage on auto though, like VCCORE was at 1.24-1.23 while doing the Prime95 test, and Package temp never got much above 80C with an Coolermaster ML360R. Der8auer said these type of temps are more then fine. The VRM only went to 71C in HWINFO, which he suggested was fine as well.

There is a thread on the Overclock Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9tyqhs/msi_meg_z390_ace_not_applying_manual_voltage/, about voltage not showing up right with this board. I saw the voltage show up a lot differently once I switched to HWINFO's beta, looked like it was real finally at that point.

Guy in that thread says I should set my voltage manually, but to be honest, it seems like the board does not overvolt the chip based on the readings I can see, but I am wondering if I should trust it? Temps indicate it manages it well when on Auto.

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
So I cleared out all the Killer garbage and my memory usage at idle dropped 10%. I might try completely disabling it in the bios and see what it does. I installed the driver only without Killer's executable to install it and idle memory usage is still at around 10%.

I have had issues with mystic light. Can't get the Coolermaster 360 AIO I have to sync with it.

I fiddled with the OC last night and found I can just leave everything on AUTO except the core clock multiplier and get a stable 5.0. Ran it under XTU for an hour fine, ran Der8auer's recommended Prime95 26.6 for an hour, thing ran fine. The VCORE does not display correctly under CPUZ, so had to download the beta version of HWINFO which apparently displays it correctly. It ran with pretty low voltage on auto though, like VCCORE was at 1.24-1.23 while doing the Prime95 test, and Package temp never got much above 80C with an Coolermaster ML360R. Der8auer said these type of temps are more then fine. The VRM only went to 71C in HWINFO, which he suggested was fine as well.

There is a thread on the Overclock Reddit, https://www.reddit.com/r/overclocking/comments/9tyqhs/msi_meg_z390_ace_not_applying_manual_voltage/, about voltage not showing up right with this board. I saw the voltage show up a lot differently once I switched to HWINFO's beta, looked like it was real finally at that point.

Guy in that thread says I should set my voltage manually, but to be honest, it seems like the board does not overvolt the chip based on the readings I can see, but I am wondering if I should trust it? Temps indicate it manages it well when on Auto.
Auto does pretty well on this board BUT......... Look at what auto sets for your VCSSA VCIO Voltages.... it sets those two to 1.225 or something close to that, so go check, THAT IS WAYYYY TO HIGH. Set those 2 options to 1.05v. You are 100% corrrect, CPUz shows voltage way wrong with this board, and wonder if CPUz will ever get fixed or not. Ill Download HWinfo and see whats up. I did install that new beta bios, and all my mem benchmarks went up a little, so happy about that.

·
WAT
227 Posts
I had the same problems with my cooler Master 360r the trick is to put the rgb splitter cable in to the motherboard three pin instead of goin to the controller... I did that and now everything works perfectly
by 3 Pin do you mean the JRainbow1 controller, or the JCorsair1 header?

1 - 20 of 242 Posts