Overclock.net banner
2221 - 2240 of 2259 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
I had to throw in the towel, Been far too many problems over the past 2 years with this board. Been a real nightmare from day 1.

I ended up going cheap, since I was only changing out the board. I went with a gigabyte b450 aorus pro wifi. Yeah, less features, but it actually works 100%, and my temps are running much cooler.
I also ended up sending the ram back for RMA for the second time, G.Skill really screwed the pooch on the early tridentz rgb kits. I paid for 3200 speed, and never got it. This time around, the LEDs died, and eventually the board would no longer post with the ram, even when reset to defaults.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Just a heads up!

As so not to clutter 'The Stilts' excellent thread with regards to modded ABBA bios's just wanted to let peeps know that the flash was successful.

I had to rename the BIOS to the same name as original BIOS name otherwise M-Flash could not see in the BIOS that was on the root of the USB flash memory.

After renaming all went according to plan.

Very. very preliminary results for my setup is not showing any improvement on base PBO boost frequencies.

With PBO disabled my CPU still does not reach the max boost clock for single core.

Will post more updates after more thorough testing....

·
Premium Member
2,827 Posts
Just a heads up!

As so not to clutter 'The Stilts' excellent thread with regards to modded ABBA bios's just wanted to let peeps know that the flash was successful.

I had to rename the BIOS to the same name as original BIOS name otherwise M-Flash could not see in the BIOS that was on the root of the USB flash memory.

After renaming all went according to plan.

Very. very preliminary results for my setup is not showing any improvement on base PBO boost frequencies.

With PBO disabled my CPU still does not reach the max boost clock for single core.

Will post more updates after more thorough testing....
Does HWInfo show SMU version 46.49.0? (Central Processor(s) >> SMU Revision)

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Does HWInfo show SMU version 46.49.0? (Central Processor(s) >> SMU Revision)
Give me a few minutes to flash to your modded BIOS again as I flashed back to the MSI beta BIOS as I could no longer run 3800/1900 and my old PBO settings were not taking effect.

Will report back soon ..

** EDIT **
Yes the SMU version is correct i.e. 46.49.0

But does not seem top be playing nice with my setup

Thanks

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Anyone upgraded from a Ryzen 1st gen to 3rd gen on this motherboard? I'm getting code 00 immediately when turning on the computer. I reset the CMOS and reseated the CPU, but no luck. I'm on the newest bios from MSi that supposedly supports 3000 chips. I'm on the 3700x.

EDIT: Got it fixed by flashing the bios again. Same version but didn't work the first time apparently.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I hate to say it, but you are far better off running an x470 or x570 board at this point. The newer boards run ram so much better. that and all the bios issues, it's just not worth it.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
I hate to say it, but you are far better off running an x470 or x570 board at this point. The newer boards run ram so much better. that and all the bios issues, it's just not worth it.
Im still waiting to see if MSI will properly support this previous flagship motherboard.

As for memory performance I cant say that my board is lagging much behind the x470/x570.

Now CPU clocking there may be better results on x470/x570, but for the time being as I said im going to wait to see if MSI respect their obligation to properly support the AM4 platform with new CPUs.

If they dont it will be the first and last time im buying an MSI motherboard.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Anyone upgraded from a Ryzen 1st gen to 3rd gen on this motherboard? I'm getting code 00 immediately when turning on the computer. I reset the CMOS and reseated the CPU, but no luck. I'm on the newest bios from MSi that supposedly supports 3000 chips. I'm on the 3700x.

EDIT: Got it fixed by flashing the bios again. Same version but didn't work the first time apparently.
Soz just saw this (European time zone),

glad you got it sorted.

A favour if you have time,

Once you get a feel for the motherbaord in the only beta bios that is available can you test 'The Stilts' modded BIOS with the new SMU and tell me if you see any difference in the boost speeds ?

With the modded BIOS I cannot get my CPU to boost past 4400 mhz, ive tried various methods but they dont seem to do anything. With MSI bios I can get boost speeds according to HWInfo64 up to 4475 mhz on one core while the others boost to 4450-4425 mhz.

I also have a bios which is .1MN, that was given to me by MSI support, it was actually worse than the .1MM bios but if you want to try this bios out let me know and I will PM you the ftp details

:)

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Between that and a few other issues with this board, I'll likely grab a B550 board when they come out.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Okz,

Looking good so far!

Flashed successfully
Boost speeds working as per product description (4 out of 6 cores hit 4400 MHz as per HWInfo64, Ryzen Master 25 MHz behind...)
Peak Voltage for single core boost down to 1.456v before would be 1.48x
BCLK now working (saw single core boost frequency of 4441 mhz) :thumb:
Can now boot with PCIe settings on Auto (before I had to set to all GEN2)
No more WHEA errors (still not got round to pushing RAM/IF), seems that those were causing issues, the slight delay I was seeing when accessing storage devices has now gone (especially mechanical drives!)

Once I updated the new BIOS I uninstalled both the Chipset drivers and Ryzen Master using revounistaller (portable).

I then shut down the PC using

Code:
shutdown.exe -s -t 0
Back to dialling in the settings in my sig to see if these settings are still stable or need tweaking

:) :)

·
Premium Member
20,831 Posts
Could it be your particular RAM? Just got a cheap MSI A320M Pro E with a R5 1600 and it is running a GSkill 3200 CL16 at spec using DOCP without issue. Two clicks in the BIOS. It automatically set the DRAM vcore to 1.36v (stock 1.35v), which I had to manually do in 2 Asus boards.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So IF frequency of 1900 is not possible with this BIOS.

The default values of VDDP/VDDG for this BIOS are 1.0979/1.1481, previous BIOS default values were 0.9002/1.0976.

I dialled in new values for VDDP/VDDG as per old BIOS settings, but still cannot post with IF frequency of 1900 mhz.

3733/1866 works fine however, so I am now going to dial in my old settings with a BCLK clock of 101 mhz

·
Registered
123 Posts
Could it be your particular RAM? Just got a cheap MSI A320M Pro E with a R5 1600 and it is running a GSkill 3200 CL16 at spec using DOCP without issue. Two clicks in the BIOS. It automatically set the DRAM vcore to 1.36v (stock 1.35v), which I had to manually do in 2 Asus boards.
I have several different kits of ram, and all of them ran vastly better on b450 aorus pro wifi than on the xpower titanium.

It is so much easier to not just hit the rated clocks, but far surpass them on the newer board. With the titanium board, it was difficult to get ram working at all, let alone at rated clock or above.

When I first got the titanium, I went through several kits trying to get one running at 3200, and never was able to fully achieve that.
G.skill fortis 2x8gb 2400
G.skill titan Z rgb 2x8gb 3200
corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3200 (from qvl)
G.skill ripjaws series 5 2x8gb 3200

the highest any of these would go was 2933 on the trident z kit. The fortis was the most stable but only ran 2400
(This same fortis kit easily hits 3400 on the b450 aorus pro)
My feeling on the titanium was that there were a few golden sample boards out there people were having very good results with, and quite a few that just were not up to snuff no matter how hard you tried. It is telling the titanium was a one and done product with MSI, as they never made a newer model.

·
Premium Member
20,831 Posts
I have several different kits of ram, and all of them ran vastly better on b450 aorus pro wifi than on the xpower titanium.

It is so much easier to not just hit the rated clocks, but far surpass them on the newer board. With the titanium board, it was difficult to get ram working at all, let alone at rated clock or above.

When I first got the titanium, I went through several kits trying to get one running at 3200, and never was able to fully achieve that.
G.skill fortis 2x8gb 2400
G.skill titan Z rgb 2x8gb 3200
corsair vengeance 2x8gb 3200 (from qvl)
G.skill ripjaws series 5 2x8gb 3200

the highest any of these would go was 2933 on the trident z kit. The fortis was the most stable but only ran 2400
(This same fortis kit easily hits 3400 on the b450 aorus pro)
My feeling on the titanium was that there were a few golden sample boards out there people were having very good results with, and quite a few that just were not up to snuff no matter how hard you tried. It is telling the titanium was a one and done product with MSI, as they never made a newer model.
That sucks for a board that cost a lot relatively speaking. I forgot to add that my A320 came with a BIOS from January 2019 and still with it. The ram is . . .

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-16gb...ll_Ripjaws_V_3200_CL16-_-20-231-941-_-Product

The board gave two options in the feature "Memory Try it!". That is exactly what it says in BIOS. One with CL16 and the other CL14 3200 MHz both. I chose the former knowing my kit is CL16. I may try the CL14 later.

Weird thing is, this kit, unlike my FlareX 3200, needs the use of Calculator just for 3200 MHz speed with both my Asus boards. DOCP will only allow 2933 MHz. So, I really like this MSI board.

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Looks like the ABBA BIOS is a no go for peeps pushing memory bandwidth and latency.

So far after 5+ hours I have not been able to get 3733/1867 to post reliably, im seeing what ive seen other people talk about in other threads that when the PC posts correctly it is stable in Windows running benchmarks etc etc.

But cold booting, warm booting issues occur where they were not happening with the old BIOS.

Boost speeds on the new BIOS are consistant, CPU runs cooler and voltages are lower, however, RAM/IF overclocking has gone bye bye bye

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
@theBee2112

There is a ABBA BIOS available, did you load that ?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
So after spending 60+ hours attempting to tune this BIOS to have similar memory performance as the previous BIOS due to the reduction in RAM/IF frequency that I can achieve, I have returned back to the previous BIOS.

I thought I had got to an 'acceptable' level of performance that passed the various stress tests I had run on the system only to come up short when running any sort of disk access benchmarks which would result in a blue screen.

This is because of the instablity in the IF frequency at 1885 mhz where as on previous bios 1900 mhz has no such issues.

Other things I noticed.

Memory throughput and latency is around 600-800 mb and 0.8-1.2 ns less when compared like for like with previous BIOS.

Any benefits of BCLK (which were considerable) are lost because of new instabilites that are introduced to the system

"Precision Boost Override 2" is effectively defunkt on ABBA, at least on previous BIOS boost speeds over 4400 mhz are achievable, I was getting up to 4465 mhz, on ABBA the best i could achieve is 4425 mhz.

That I can find features in the BIOS that are only meant to be relative to X570 platform shown how much attention MSI staff have paid to these 'updated' BIOS.

When I communicated my findings i was told that my RAM is not in the QVL list and to purchase RAM that was, this was irrespective of the fact that I sent to them (MSI Germany) information that showed with the same components and previous BIOS that there were no issues with the RAM I was using.

Am unsure as to if MSI will get their act together with proper support for the X370 platform with regards to actually spending time in developing the BIOS rather than just putting one out there just to appease the masses.

Will wait to see if MSI will provide a NON BETA 1.0.0.4 bios if they continue with the neglect it will be the first and last time I purchase from MSI.....

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
2221 - 2240 of 2259 Posts