Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 598 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is time to sort out the the advantages, quirks, and performance of this motherboard for its users. I am starting the discussion off with a couple of benchmarks that I have uploaded.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
It is time to sort out the the advantages, quirks, and performance of this motherboard for its users. I am starting the discussion off with a couple of benchmarks that I have uploaded.
Here is my AIDA64 cache and memory benchmark and the the detailed memory and cpu findings with a competitive listing. MY computer averaged between second and third place overall. That included going against 32 core Threadripper and a host of 16 and 20 core Intel Xeon chips.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I tweaked my memory timings and was able to increase my cinebench20 score:

Attachments

·
Registered
463 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
still waiting for 1.0.0.3ab agesa

it works quite good with 3700x

https://browser.geekbench.com/v4/cpu/14068131

It seems that MSI has just today released the AGESA 1.0.0.3ab bios for the MEG X570 ACE.

I've not had a chance to test it yet - but will try and test it this evening, if you - or anyone else - gets a chance please let us know how you get on.

MSI MEG X570 ACE Support Link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE

Bios is versioned as 7C35v13

The Bios README file contains the following:

-------------------------------------------------
MEG X570 ACE (MS-7C35) V1.3 BIOS Release
-------------------------------------------------

1. This is AMI BIOS release

2. This BIOS fixes the following problem of the previous version:
- Update AMD ComboPI1.0.0.3ab
- Enhance M.2 RAID function

3. 2019/7/19

-- Chinese portion of README snipped for brevity --
Thanks.

·
Registered
3 Posts
How’s the latest bios on this board? Any bugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For the most part, things have for the most part been "bug-free", there is however the ongoing issue with over-zealous boosting (which results in higher temperatures when idle), but that is something I know AMD is working on resolving with an indication that on July 30, 2019 something will be announced - See: https://www.reddit.com/r/Amd/comments/ciajef/placeholder_update_on_whea_warnings_destiny_2_and/

BuildZoid explains this behaviour of the Ryzen CPUs comprehensively over here -

·
Registered
539 Posts
how about the VRM and chipset temperature? reviewers saying the VRM temp is not that good on this board, at least way worse than C8H and Giga Master which are in the same class and price, and because of that I'm now split between MSI and Giga... that's the VRM concern, as for the chipset temperature, well no one seem to review those area :(

·
Registered
3 Posts
how about the VRM and chipset temperature? reviewers saying the VRM temp is not that good on this board, at least way worse than C8H and Giga Master which are in the same class and price, and because of that I'm now split between MSI and Giga... that's the VRM concern, as for the chipset temperature, well no one seem to review those area :(

I've not noticed any issues with the VRM or Chipset (or any other part of this board to be honest). Which reviews are you talking about? Could you possibly link to them? The Crosshair 8 Hero and the Gigabyte Aorus Master are both decent boards, but that doesn't render the MSI MEG X570 ACE somehow inferior.

Could you please post links to the reviews that you speak of. Thank you very much :)

·
Registered
539 Posts
I've not noticed any issues with the VRM or Chipset (or any other part of this board to be honest). Which reviews are you talking about? Could you possibly link to them? The Crosshair 8 Hero and the Gigabyte Aorus Master are both decent boards, but that doesn't render the MSI MEG X570 ACE somehow inferior.

Could you please post links to the reviews that you speak of. Thank you very much :)
from alphac post in am4 motherboard thread

https://www.anandtech.com/show/14603/the-msi-meg-x570-ace-motherboard-review/9

http://blog.livedoor.jp/wisteriear/archives/1075116296.html

megatest from a dutch site : https://nl.hardware.info/artikel/9411/15-amd-x570-moederborden-review-op-de-proef-met-een-3900x

particularly concern with the result from hardware.info as the ACE VRM is way hotter than it's competitors in that direct comparison review and the number is quite inline with the japanese test and anandtech.

·
Overclocker & Enthusiast
143 Posts
Hey guys, if anyone has any info about the new bios I'd appreciate it other than whats on MSI's website. Currently "struggling" on a set of A0 PCB B-die when posting at 3733 (1866 IF) e.g. it will not post on boot or restart occasionally but will always be stable once it gets it's crap together. If you found any quirks, etc are fixed I'd love any info from the previous. Thanks :)

·
Registered
463 Posts
It seems that MSI has just today released the AGESA 1.0.0.3ab bios for the MEG X570 ACE.

I've not had a chance to test it yet - but will try and test it this evening, if you - or anyone else - gets a chance please let us know how you get on.

MSI MEG X570 ACE Support Link: https://www.msi.com/Motherboard/support/MEG-X570-ACE

Bios is versioned as 7C35v13

The Bios README file contains the following:

Thanks.
Ιam testing it now ,i can't see any difference with 1.0.0.3a ,the board is still pretty stable , i can't hit 4.4ghz on single boost with this agesa too, only with 1.0.0.3 i could but was really bad

The vrm temps for me never ecxeeds 60 celsius on heavy load or stress testing chipset temps stays about 50-58 celsius and i have never heared the chipset fan.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
How’s the latest bios on this board? Any bugs?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bios v 1.3 was just released on August 1. It is fully stable. I have not bothered with Precision Overboost. I have an every day manual overclock of 4.2 GHZ on all cores/ I have a top-rated AIO: the Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 . The MEG Ace X570 is rock solid and gives great memory overclocking capability. My opinion is that is better built than the Asus Crosshair Hero VIII. The memory traces are buried completely in the 6 layer PCB fabric . The VRM is highly lauded by Buildzoid. I am waiting for a price drop in pciE 4 x4 NVMEdrives. Right now I have my Samsung 970 EVO drive as my boot drive and a couple of ssd drives.
My memory is dual rank twin 16GB G.Skill DDR4 4000 dimms. I am running them at 3600mhz CL14-15-16-16-34-48-352. If I can scrape some money together in a few months I will pop for a 4 dimm kit of G.Skill Trident Z Neo3800mhz kit at 14CL. I am sure it is quite pricey.
I do think you will like the Ace motherboard. If you have a MicroCenter store near you they have good motherboard sales and motherboard cpu-combo pricing.

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Hey guys, if anyone has any info about the new bios I'd appreciate it other than whats on MSI's website. Currently "struggling" on a set of A0 PCB B-die when posting at 3733 (1866 IF) e.g. it will not post on boot or restart occasionally but will always be stable once it gets it's crap together. If you found any quirks, etc are fixed I'd love any info from the previous. Thanks :)
Most Ryzen 3000 series cpus ( I have a 3900X) have problems with 3733mhz memory. Theoretically it should be fine but the cpus , unless they are like one in 50 can't be stable with infinity fabric above 1800mhz. Buildzoid has a cpu that can handle 1900mhz infinity fabric but he admits it is 1 in a 100 chance. So 3600mhz memory with 1800 fabric speed is going to predominate. perhaps some will luck out with 1833mhz fabric and be able to get a stable 3666mhz memory overclock to produce better results.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
From a Asus Crosshair VII hero to a MSA Meg X570 Ace and I have to say not bad. Still getting the hang of the board so not there as yet, but so far not too bad. The bios is a little confusing, but mostly because I am used to Asus, I'll get used to this eventually but for now I am happy. I'll post some results with my 3900X when I've settled in.

·
Registered
61 Posts

I've got my switch frequency cranked to 1000, and my VRMos temp hangs around 40C. Chipset hangs between 40C and 60C.

Bios v 1.3 was just released on August 1. It is fully stable. I have not bothered with Precision Overboost. I have an every day manual overclock of 4.2 GHZ on all cores/ I have a top-rated AIO: the Alphacool Eisbaer Extreme 280 . The MEG Ace X570 is rock solid and fives great memory overclocking capability. My opinion is that is better built than the Asus Crosshair Hero VIII. The memory traces are buried completely in the 6 layer PCB fabric . The VRM is highly lauded by Buildzoid. I am waiting for a price drop in pciE 4 x4 NVMEdrives. Right now I have mySamsung 970 EVO drive as my boot drive and a couple of ssd drives.
My memory is dual rank twin 16GB G.Skill DDR4 4000 dimms. I am running them at 3600mhz CL14-15-16-16-34-48-352. If I can scrape some money together in a few months I will pop for a 4 dimm kit of G.Skill Trident Z Neo3800mhz kit at 14CL. I am sure it is quite pricey.
I do think you will like the Ace motherboard. If you have a MicroCenter store near you they have good motherboard sales and motherboard cpu-combo pricing.

I am generally liking my Ace, too. But I've seen better 3800X overclocks coming from the Crosshair Hero VIII. I suspect our BIOS is a bit of a limiting factor. It seems unfinished.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
From a Asus Crosshair VII hero to a MSA Meg X570 Ace and I have to say not bad. Still getting the hang of the board so not there as yet, but so far not too bad. The bios is a little confusing, but mostly because I am used to Asus, I'll get used to this eventually but for now I am happy. I'll post some results with my 3900X when I've settled in.
Actually the MSI bios is simpler and more straight forward than the Asus Crosshair bios. Asus has a way of inventing their own nomenclature for settings to make people think it is better. I used to have the Crosshair IV and the Crosshair V. I even bought the Crosshair VI on launch day for Ryzen 1st generation. Asus had loadeda bios that would not post and that was the breaking point for me and Asus. No apologies just a kick in the ass. They are too cocky and without much reason. I have no t bothered with precision boost . It wasn't working well at first and I am smart enough to get a maximum overclock without AMD's help. I have zero interest in 1 core boost as there are few games that really benefit from it and I will not buy those games and reward bad coders and developers for games that are technically poor.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Actually the MSI bios is simpler and more straight forward than the Asus Crosshair bios. Asus has a way of inventing their own nomenclature for settings to make people think it is better. I used to have the Crosshair IV and the Crosshair V. I even bought the Crosshair VI on launch day for Ryzen 1st generation. Asus had loadeda bios that would not post and that was the breaking point for me and Asus. No apologies just a kick in the ass. They are too cocky and without much reason. I have no t bothered with precision boost . It wasn't working well at first and I am smart enough to get a maximum overclock without AMD's help. I have zero interest in 1 core boost as there are few games that really benefit from it and I will not buy those games and reward bad coders and developers for games that are technically poor.
Hi thanks for the explanation, my c7h was actually pretty good, but I think I killed it with ln2 and dry ice.

I do have a question though. The only way I am able to manually overclock my Ryzen 9 3900x is with the knob on the board. The clocks in the bios is greyed out even if I disable the knob in the bios. Sny idea whst I may have missed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
2,554 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Hi thanks for the explanation, my c7h was actually pretty good, but I think I killed it with ln2 and dry ice.

I do have a question though. The only way I am able to manually overclock my Ryzen 9 3900x is with the knob on the board. The clocks in the bios is greyed out even if I disable the knob in the bios. Sny idea whst I may have missed.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
THat should not be. Are you on the latest bios??? It may be possible that you did not set everything to default, reboot and then go into M-flash upon reboot. I would reapply the 1.3 bios after you make sure you restore defaults reboot and then M-flash . Sounds like your bios got corrupted in some way. That happened to me on my X470 motherboard once where I could only use gameboost. It was some lame beta bios when it occurred. I may have failed to set everything to default when I flashed that bios. Let us know what happens .

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
THat should not be. Are you on the latest bios??? It may be possible that you did not set everything to default, reboot and then go into M-flash upon reboot. I would reapply the 1.3 bios after you make sure you restore defaults reboot and then M-flash . Sounds like your bios got corrupted in some way. That happened to me on my X470 motherboard once where I could only use gameboost. It was some lame beta bios when it occurred. I may have failed to set everything to default when I flashed that bios. Let us know what happens .
Thanks I'll try that.... I am on the 1.0.0.3AB Agesa bios

1 - 20 of 598 Posts