Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 346 Posts

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
MSI has officially announced their Z790 line-up, for both the 12th and 13th Gen and both DDR4 and DDR5.
Discuss.

·
Registered
13900KF, ASUS TUF Gaming Z690 D4, Gigabyte Gaming OC 3070, Corsair LPX Vengeance (4000 15-15-15-30)
429 Posts
Thanks for starting this thread! Will be closely watching.

Definitely leaning towards MSI this upgrade.. ASUS bios' have been questionable.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks for starting this thread! Will be closely watching.

Definitely leaning towards MSI this upgrade.. ASUS bios' have been questionable.
I'm indifferent at the moment. I'm thinking of trying out a Z790 board, but it might be either an MSI or an ASUS.
I tried both the ASUS Strix and the MSI Edge for Z690, but stuck with the MSI Edge.

The MSI Edge Z790 will finally have a proper Clear CMOS button on the back panel, which is very tempting to swap to.
But the SP readout on ASUS boards is still very useful to have.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Everyone's using those SP rating numbers now when selling or testing their CPU's. If they could list that information as part of a test like in CPUZ or Geekbench, but they don't even show the ASIC Quality level on GPU's anymore.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Everyone's using those SP rating numbers now when selling or testing their CPU's. If they could list that information as part of a test like in CPUZ or Geekbench, but they don't even show the ASIC Quality level on GPU's anymore.
I'm kind of hoping that other motherboard manufacturers adopt the SP reading into their own BIOSes.
It doesn't make sense to give ASUS a free monopoly on overclockers who want to bin chips, since it's the easiest and quickest way to do so.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Interesting. I don't wanna have to upgrade to ddr5 now that I have 2 pretty good 32GB DDR4 B-Die kits and this Edge DDR4 would be amazing for me. I can even slap in a cheap used 12900K/KF/KS from people who upgrade to a 13xxx.

I much prefer the MSI BIOS over the ASUS one I have in my Maximus XIII Hero Z590 now. Thanks for this info thread!

Offtopic. I wish my Maximus didn't have SP ratings tho. At least I wouldn't have been disappointed as much as I am right now in my new 11900KF that I bought on sale.. It's SP50... 1.700v VID's for 5.3 all core... It will do 5.2 all core at 1.388v ish but 5.3 is impossible. Can't even complete a single Cinebench R23 run at 1.510v..

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Interesting. I don't wanna have to upgrade to ddr5 now that I have 2 pretty good 32GB DDR4 B-Die kits and this Edge DDR4 would be amazing for me. I can even slap in a cheap used 12900K/KF/KS from people who upgrade to a 13xxx.

I much prefer the MSI BIOS over the ASUS one I have in my Maximus XIII Hero Z590 now. Thanks for this info thread!

Offtopic. I wish my Maximus didn't have SP ratings tho. At least I wouldn't have been disappointed as much as I am right now in my new 11900KF that I bought on sale.. It's SP50... 1.700v VID's for 5.3 all core... It will do 5.2 all core at 1.388v ish but 5.3 is impossible. Can't even complete a single Cinebench R23 run at 1.510v..
Although I'm still undecided in terms of what motherboard to ultimately stick with, I'll be parting with my 12900KF and its golden IMC if the 13900K I buy turns out to be better.

Let me know in a PM if you're interested. It'll boot 4,300 MHz even with 32 GB B-die DR (but obviously not stable at that). Realistic stable is more like 4,200-4,266 MHz depending on timings.

Five cores at 53x, three at 52x, and ring at 50-51x, requires 1.37V on load for y-cruncher all tests, or 1.35-1.36V with just the main test.

That reminds me: Do ASUS boards have Per Core multipliers? I can't recall. Because if it's only turbo, that would make it weaker than MSI. I know EVGA doesn't (on DDR5).

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Although I'm still undecided in terms of what motherboard to ultimately stick with, I'll be parting with my 12900KF and its golden IMC if the 13900K I buy turns out to be better.

Let me know in a PM if you're interested. It'll boot 4,300 MHz even with 32 GB B-die DR (but obviously not stable at that). Realistic stable is more like 4,200-4,266 MHz depending on timings.

Five cores at 53x, three at 52x, and ring at 50-51x, requires 1.37V on load for y-cruncher all tests, or 1.35-1.36V with just the main test.

That reminds me: Do ASUS boards have Per Core multipliers? I can't recall. Because if it's only turbo, that would make it weaker than MSI. I know EVGA doesn't (on DDR5).
Yes they do at least on Z590. I run the 11900KF on the Maximus at 51x6 53x2 per core OC with an additional OCTVB +1 multiplier up to 75c. Runs Division 2 fine with 6 cores at 52 and the 2 prime ones at 54. I'm stuck on 3733 gear 1 as the IMC won't do any better gear 1 and both my kits will do 3733 14-15-15 albeit my Dominators need looser tertiaries to run stable compared to my Trident-Z Neo's.

• Rep+
Reactions: Ichirou

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes they do at least on Z590. I run the 11900KF on the Maximus at 51x6 53x2 per core OC with an additional OCTVB +1 multiplier up to 75c. Runs Division 2 fine with 6 cores at 52 and the 2 prime ones at 54.
Okay, good to hear. It would've sucked if they only had turbo based on load, since that means you'd never get the full multipliers as load varies all the time.

I'll go back with my initial plan of testing out an ASUS Z790 to see how much stronger it is compared to the MSI Z690 Edge. It should be easy to tell, as I know exactly what my RAM is capable of.

·
Registered
5,233 Posts
Okay, good to hear. It would've sucked if they only had turbo based on load, since that means you'd never get the full multipliers as load varies all the time.

I'll go back with my initial plan of testing out an ASUS Z790 to see how much stronger it is compared to the MSI Z690 Edge. It should be easy to tell, as I know exactly what my RAM is capable of.
RAM wise my Z590 Maximus XIII Hero is worse then my MSI Z490 Ace was. The frequency and clocks are about the same but training and getting proper RTL/IO's to work on ASUS is a disaster. MSI is much easier to get properly trained. And the MSI would boot 4800 whereas the Maximus with the same CPU would only boot 4600 and needed all sorts of tweaks like trace centering and such enabled to even boot 4700 and 4800 never worked.

I prefer MSI for RAM OC but I much prefer ASUS for CPU OC. The AI OC and LLC/SVID behavior is much better as well.

• Rep+
Reactions: Telstar

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
RAM wise my Z590 Maximus XIII Hero is worse then my MSI Z490 Ace was. The frequency and clocks are about the same but training and getting proper RTL/IO's to work on ASUS is a disaster. MSI is much easier to get properly trained. And the MSI would boot 4800 whereas the Maximus with the same CPU would only boot 4600 and needed all sorts of tweaks like trace centering and such enabled to even boot 4700 and 4800 never worked.

I prefer MSI for RAM OC but I much prefer ASUS for CPU OC. The AI OC and LLC/SVID behavior is much better as well.
In my experience between the ASUS Strix and MSI Edge (both Z690), they had very similar memory overclocking results.
However, it seems like the ASUS environment is better designed for Samsung B-die, while for the MSI, Micron. This is likely due to specialized optimization.
Still, the difference was extremely minor; you could probably go with either one and it wouldn't change much.

But yes, the MSI Edge had some really nice training. It just works. And the UEFI interface is easier and smoother to navigate once you know how to do so.

If either company produces a board with a monoblock, that'll likely take my money. But if not, I'll only be experimenting for comparison's sake.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Most likely you will end up with buying MSI then, Asus does not offer midrange mobos with monoblocks.

Also some will be shocked by the prices Asus asks for their Z790 mobos.
No company offered a monoblock for Z690 DDR4 so far. Only DDR5.
Hopefully there's some luck with Z790, though. Otherwise, I'll have to go with makeshift solutions.

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yep, but with those Hynix A-Die DDR5 getting available ... DDR4 isn't getting boring ? :LOL:
Well, if you already have good enough DDR4 RAM, why waste more money on DDR5?
It can make sense for hardcore overclockers and binners, but if you're just an average guy, you don't need to chase numbers all the time ;)

Plus, 64/128 GB performance on DDR5 is still lacking and will continue to for a while, so DDR4 is still strong in that area.
I need RAM for work, not for gaming :p

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
For work i would rather have a platform with ECC Memory, but kinda depends on what you work with. :oops:
Of course; it always depends on use-case :)

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Interested in the Edge, if it's priced not too far from the z690 one.

·
Registered
814 Posts
1 - 20 of 346 Posts