Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 1128 Posts

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Well this is my $259 Gainward GTX 1060, The most basic version with a dual fan cooler, it is a tiny card compared to Gaming X etc. similar in size to reference cards and has the same reference clocks 1506/1709/2002MHz that boost to 1847MHz under load.
Mine runs 1706/1909/2252MHz OCed now. Which seems to boost it to 2050MHz once warmed up. Don't even need to raise the power, temp limits or add voltage but I did raise power and temp anyway. That's on 6pin with 3+1 phase. Stock voltage on load is 1.043V even OCed, overvoltage goes to 1.09xV. It does not seem to like going for 2100MHz in boost with higher base OC even with added voltage. Above 2000MHz it likes to start to sing a bit in "coil" whine.
Like AMD 4xx where 1400MHz+ is rare so is 10xx going 2100MHz+.

The gain from OC seems to be around 10% overall. Seeing this is the cheapest lowest binned chip card it's not bad at all to get up there to 2050MHz and 9GHz on VRAM. More testing needed with some games that aren't alpha/beta crashy crap. +11% on core clock, 12.5% on VRAM speed, so with this +200/500 profile it should be doing about 11.75% faster. I've run +180/400 yesterday in Doom and that was about +10% in fps. This card is plenty fast at stock for all games I've tried maxed out at 1920x1200px, sure there are titles like Arma 3 that run like total garbage maxed out at 60fps but bring it down to visually equal high settings and it runs much faster on these poorly written engines. No problem at all with Doom, Battlefield 1, Evolve, nor older DX11 games.

Fans stop at idle and card idles at 36C in my closed case with slow running 140mm fans. Playing video and using MadVR without crazy settings, fans still not spinning.

The fans are supposed to be PowerLogic 92mm, I think they are sleeve bearing by seeing the part no. They are quiet for the speed they run but sometimes there was this low frequency hum which was strange, you know like 1Hz.

Some pics from OCnet that I can't find author of again and a review with pictures:

PLD09210S12HH = IMHO PL a series, D transparent smoke plastic blade, 092 92mm size, 10 don't know, S sleeve, 12 12V, HH high high speed 3000rpm max.

The cooler is not that big at all maybe even smaller than on RX 480 Nitro, there are no vents top or bottom and all air is trying to be pushed out back or front. It is kind of all-in-one cooler and cools everything. There are no silly LEDs anywhere, this card is not a xmas tree.
Temperatures on load stay around 73C 1750rpm, depends on game it can go from 69C to 74C up to 1800rpm. OCed 74-75C it seems in Heaven. With power and temp limit to the minimum it runs on base clock, still damn fast and consumes what was it like 60W? Crazy. I will have to check that again.

As always MSI AB can't control a damn thing voltage wise, seems like that only works for MSI cards and that's it.
EVGA Precision XOC can control the whole card including voltage. But it can have trouble, inability to reverse reduced power/temp. limits.
Gainward OC tool works too but the frequency slider need 2x values for core clock, someone messed that up. It can save VBIOS too. GPUz cannot save, I just tried.

As usual the card has a weird design like all 1060s where Nvidia probably misinformed/rushed 1060 to production and all the 1060 boards are designed for 256bit bus 8 VRAM chips and this one also for 8pin power on PCB and the plastic shroud too fits 8pin power connector, including unused space on PCB for stronger VRM with more phases. Maybe they were expecting a cut down GP104...

Overall a decent card and Nvidia seems to be focusing on power efficiency only since their debacle with the 4xx 5xx series and guess what, just like Intel with CPUs was forced by AMD to do the same and was crushing AMD since... similar story seems to repeat on the GPU market. If only AMD would learn that already and pushed even more for better efficiency and for gorram sake availability.

This Gainward GTX 1060 is probably the most sold GPU in Europe this summer. Palit and PNY also sell the same card with a little different styling, all the companies seem to be connected/one company selling under multiple brand names.

---

I don't know why but OCN on Firefox is kind of buggy when posting and editing.

·
Lord of Cinder
60 Posts
Nice review. Seems like a decent card. Always nice to see things like proper cooling for the memory on a budget model. Most don't bother.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

Like AMD 4xx where 1400MHz+ is rare so is 10xx going 2100MHz+.
I don't think its the case, my card boosts almost to 2.1Ghz out of the box. I've seen 1060s run at ~2.25Ghz - which is closer to 1.4Ghz RX series in terms of rarity.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunex View Post

I don't think its the case, my card boosts almost to 2.1Ghz out of the box. I've seen 1060s run at ~2.25Ghz - which is closer to 1.4Ghz RX series in terms of rarity.
I have not seen one. There are threads on reddit where people report their actual overclocks and it's more 2.0-2.1GHz. Sure there are the braggers with 2.1GHz+ that have to post, but there are many with below 2.1GHz that don't normally post their results. It varies in reviews as well, some have had golden chips some normal ones.

I would so much like to tell that stupid Nvidia driver to not boost over my set boost clock, this has got to be the worst OC feature made, sure works on stock cards to get them that extra boost but when OCing I would gladly disable it in an instant as it does what ever it wants whether safe or not.

BF1 all I see is 100-110fps+, like it never goes below. I've disabled HBAO as I couldn't stand that cheap crap of a trick to make shadows was too distracting and annoying when shadows are where they aren't supposed to be.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Quote:

Well this is my $259 Gainward GTX 1060,.
Nice review, I have the same card and it's great, sits on about 2050mhz after throttling and stays practically silent.

What program are you using to overvolt?

Edit: sorry I misread, it's EVGA Precision

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sycksyde View Post

Nice review, I have the same card and it's great, sits on about 2050mhz after throttling and stays practically silent.

What program are you using to overvolt?

Edit: sorry I misread, it's EVGA Precision
Silent? I can hear mine above 1500rpm and it does just above 1500rpm at 70C, the air flow is audible etc. Full load goes 74C and 1800rpm or so, BF1 Beta.
I need to use a side intake I guess to get lower temps.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Hey guys, just started playing the witcher 3 again after buying the expansion but my 1060 is running @ 1350mhz/100% usage in game.

All other games I have played have not had this issue.

Anyone know what may be causing it?

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 ·
Sounds like its throttling itself because of heat possibly. Witcher III is a pretty intense graphical game.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by garikfox View Post

Sounds like its throttling itself because of heat possibly. Witcher III is a pretty intense graphical game.
Nah 48c :/

Temp issue was my first thought.

At the moment its running worse than my 290x did sadly.

Experiences in all other games thus far have been great running at 2170 without a hitch, but for some reason the witcher doesn't seem to engage boost.

EDIT:

Not exactly sure why but enabling vsync makes it engage boost, not a permanent solution but it will work for now.

This is the best workout the card has gotten thus far, running at 78c.
Still only about as loud as my windforce 3 290x at idle lol
I'm thinking I might give it a custom profile to keep those temps a bit lower.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Mine doesn't like to run very fast, sure it can overboost at beginning to 2100MHz but then on constant load it's on 2025MHz stable, 2037MHz even but higher than that and it gets moody. That's 73-74C 1800-1900rpm range in Doom Demo. I never have luck with silicon lottery and there is no way to exchange these since there is an endless preorder list at even higher price now. It runs it runs, it's plenty fast just not that quiet. HWiNFO reports reports 100-120W during games.

What card do you have that runs 2170MHz? I think the trick really is in paying an extra for a top binned chip. Stock boosts to 2.1GHz... that gotta be OCed from factory to the max they dare or the overboost must go way more aggressive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I live in hot ass country and I haven't seen't seen my GPU cross 68C, I guess that crap with over-engineering done by ASUS pays off in some instances. My ambient temp is like 30C.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunex View Post

I live in hot ass country and I haven't seen't seen my GPU cross 68C, I guess that crap with over-engineering done by ASUS pays off in some instances. My ambient temp is like 30C.
Yeah they've put a proper cooler on that one. But the price is almost like a cheap 1070
biggrin.gif
ASUS and MSI are crazy with pricing due to their popularity, cashing in on it.
I've had ASUS before and they certainly do not over engineer the AMD cards rather the opposite. Avoid ASUS AMD cards.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Well I've paid $300 for it, that's the same price I would've paid for Zotac mini (1 fan **** card). I've just got lucky with it I guess. Which is one of the reasons why I've decided to go with 1060 in the first place - availability and the fact that there is a version of 1060 that runs quiet and is cold, unlike 480s... where 75C is 'cold'.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
How do I enable FRTC with Nvidia? Seems like I can only see it in EVGA Prevision but that doesn't do anything no apps I've tried show limited fps. I can't believe people are praising Nvidia when their control panel is so poor and dated, stripped from all advanced features for over a decade now. I figured that one needs to use some 3rd party tool to access the FRTC but then it doesn't work anyway... does it even work on 10xx?

AMD has much more complex control panel and there is pretty much everything in it one may need, basic and advanced features, OC, most or all of it.

And I have uninstalled GeForce experience, read on reddit there is a new version and blah blah needs to login and what not crap. Launch it, update... ok so you won't run older version and want to update, fine... done, run, log in, go to hell Nvidia I won't log in or need the experience not so useful features, uninstall...
Dunno again why there is so much praise for that crap app sometimes and the shadow play that also seems to be messed up in version 3 more than before.

Game devs really need to learn to allow users to limit fps in game and not skip that option and make it available to devs only. It's a simple but important thing for any rendering engine. But then I have tried BF1 and Doom and none of those can even calculate FOV correctly LOL, like seriously, 2016 and they still can't get it right, I know it can be tricky as I have done it myself in an engine and if I can do it they should too.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:

What card do you have that runs 2170MHz?.
Zotac mini lol

Everyone (including me) assumed they would run terrible due to the cooler design... But it clocks well, isn't very hot, or very loud(subjective).
Great value card really.

It was the only one cheaper than a stock 480 at the point of release so I just grabbed one.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:

Is there a review of it? I want numbers
biggrin.gif
Should be reference design no?
As far as I'm aware there are no reviews and it is not a reference pcb...

Though I could be wrong on both fronts
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
730 Posts
Issue solved...

Went back 3 driver versions... now no issue at all o_O

Makes no sense to me, but it works so I'm not going to argue.

·
Registered
531 Posts
I'm getting extremely tempted to get a 1060. There's a Inno3D 1060 compact with a pretty good price around here, but the thing is I don't really need one! I currently have a 280X, and although it's rather old, it's running all my games decent enough. I also do not plan to upgrade my monitor either, my 27 inch Samsung died, and Samsung gave me a refund, so I used that money to buy a cheap new 1080p monitor and a SSD for my laptop, with some cash left to spare.

Just to be clear, I do have enough money to upgrade, and I'm also considering a RX 480 (but they're pretty much nowhere to be found around here). The only games I play currently are GTA V and Witcher 3, with my other games being older/less demanding. GTA V runs 1080p60fps very high no problem, but for Witcher 3 I've to compromise a bit.

What do you think?

21 - 40 of 1128 Posts