Overclock.net banner
41 - 60 of 1128 Posts

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
I RMAed my 280x for 3.5 months and got money back, being a 2nd user it was an endless hassle but mostly because was ASUS sending back DOA cards.

The 1060 IMHO consumes like 50% power of what 280x did while running much much faster. Many games use 4GB at 1920x1200px and the 280x was running out of breath for years, it's a 4y old chip or even more.

Any card with less than 4GB will quickly become obsolete now.

---

I do not have any clock issues, everything boosts as it should, downclocks when it can as I use the default optimize for power.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had bought a gtx 970 just before the 10 series launch for $200. I recently sold that card for 200 and i got the pny gtx 1060 6gb. Its the cheapest 6gb you can get at $210. The 6gb gives me a slight boost and future proofing with 6gb more vram and slightly faster performance than a 980. Well worth the $10 upgrade.

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JackCY View Post

---

I do not have any clock issues, everything boosts as it should, downclocks when it can as I use the default optimize for power.
May I ask, What driver version are you using?

Sorry to pester you, I have been going nuts trying to figure out what is going on lol

·
Registered
730 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eperelez View Post

This thread needs some Heaven, Valley, Fire Strike & Time Spy scores....
Go, Diego, Go!
biggrin.gif
That good sir I can do.
Well Valley at least don't have anything else installed right now.

No tweaks btw

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

May I ask, What driver version are you using?

Sorry to pester you, I have been going nuts trying to figure out what is going on lol
372.70, should be latest.
Quote:

This thread needs some Heaven, Valley, Fire Strike & Time Spy scores....
Go, Diego, Go!
biggrin.gif
I've ran Heaven which is a crappy DX11 wanna be bench. It's in reviews as well and favors Nvidia single threaded approach. Valley is even older.
Firestrike and Time Spy I will run when I upgrade to Win10.

I don't know where cainy gets Extreme HD preset, I've reinstalled with latest version and there is still only Extreme at less than FHD. So everyone is pretty much running custom presets that are not comparable.

3DMark is also a wanna be benchmark really.

Best is to run games that aren't CPU limited, games that you play or want to play. The 1060 and 480 have dozens of reviews and the results are more or less accurate.
I've ran BF1, usually over 100fps maxed out or without AO since I hate the fake AO.
Doom Demo, same as in reviews, a little slower than 480 but still very fast over 100fps.
Evolve, again around 100fps maxed out.
StarCraft II LotV, mostly CPU limited in replay test, ran DSR at max 3840x2400px maxed out and then the GPU would be loaded to max with the CPU still being the limit mostly because my replay was 1 vs 7 AI or something. I prefer native resolution with no AA for SC2 though, it's the most sharp.
Other games at 1920x1200px mostly around 100fps or more.

Most modern games want 4GB VRAM or a little more at 1920x1200px.

BF1 also eats about 12GB+ RAM because Dice is insane.

---

Right now I've tested a few days at +190MHz offset on core over stock (reference clocks). 1696/1899/2025-2050MHz. It will be easier once I update to Win10 and run some benches and SP games. It's annoying to test it with MP games and crash mid game or something.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Speaking of drivers, did you guys notice drop in stable OC after upgrading to 372.70? I swear I had to lower offset on my gpu to keep it from crashing :/

·
Registered
243 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by cainy1991 View Post

That good sir I can do.
Well Valley at least don't have anything else installed right now.
No tweaks btw
Wow, that's pretty impressive given the price point. Neck and neck with my R9 Fury....
thumb.gif

·
Registered
63 Posts
Quote:

Wow, that's pretty impressive given the price point. Neck and neck with my R9 Fury....
thumb.gif
They cost the same tho. Fury is a great card, especially at $300 price-point, sadly it likes to enjoy 400W on regular basis :/

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunex View Post

Speaking of drivers, did you guys notice drop in stable OC after upgrading to 372.70? I swear I had to lower offset on my gpu to keep it from crashing :/
Yes I've read many posts about people having to lower there OC with 372.70.

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Can have all the speed you want in Arma 3 singleplayer, the GPU is running 50-80% and that single threaded crap engine can't feed the GPU fast enough yet there are scenes where higher visibility or settings would make it go to 30fps... that engine is ridiculously bad even on Nvidia cards.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neptunex View Post

I had the same issue (msi gaming x). Any tips for overclocking this card? :) is there any solution for voltage unlock for my Msi card?

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hello! Got my Gigabyte G1 1060 yesterday
biggrin.gif
. Had a 770 before,well that step up was worth it!

Got it to 2114 max boost core clock (tho mostly it fluctuates around 2100) and memory clock is at 4622.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpirosRonto View Post

Hello! Got my Gigabyte G1 1060 yesterday
biggrin.gif
. Had a 770 before,well that step up was worth it!

Got it to 2114 max boost core clock (tho mostly it fluctuates around 2100) and memory clock is at 4622.

Nice ! i'm sure you're loving it from the GTX 770, I actually upgraded from a 970 and i can tell a difference, These 1060's are simply wonderful.

·
Premium Member
2,613 Posts
Discussion Starter · #58 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClashOfClans View Post

ran tomb raider rising on high preset:

Awesome
thumb.gif

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hey all,
Is there a consensus yet on best AIB 1060? Looking at 6gb models. Can't decide on MSI, Gigabyte, or EVGA. Any actual difference between them aside from the clocks?

·
Overclocker
11,688 Posts
Cooler MSI GX probably because they used common sense when it comes to coolers in recent years. Big, many pipes, many vents for air to escape. Problem is this once crappy no one wants to buy brand has thus changed into one of the most expensive GPUs, only ASUS being even worse. I would not touch GB cards unless necessary. A good cooler goes a long way even on 1060 but it's definitely not worth +20% in price.

41 - 60 of 1128 Posts