Overclock.net banner

10501 - 10520 of 10566 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Got a rig running 980s in SLI right here (writing this post on it as we speak)... what bench do you want? Other specs are fairly outdated - this is now my work PC - but still decent:

3770K @ 4.6GHz normally 5.0GHz for benches
32GB DDR3 @ 2133MHz
2X 512GB 850PRO SSD (Raid 0)
500GB PCIe NVMe add in drive (Intel 6 series)
Dual DDC's + 2X UT60 360 rads
2X EVGA 04G-P4-2981-KR 980's SLI (X8+X8 unfortunately due to Z77) EKWB Blocks
Asus Maximus V Extreme MB

Since I don't really game much on it except when co-workers are irritating me and I need some FPS "therapy" the cards aren't OC'd at all - but should be able to give you a baseline. I'll run a heaven and a valley for ya and post up once I DL them. Let me know if there's another or a game bench - have steam and a bunch of games but not any that are too recent (mostly play FarCry4, Counter Strike, Witcher 3, and GuildWars - none of which really tax the GPUs even on a 30" monitor).

·
Look at the avatar not me
330 Posts
Main games I play are ArmA III (which can be a pain to benchmark), Killing Floor 2 (with all the PhysX effects on), Elite: Dangerous. Lot of games that you don't see in the normal benchmark tests that most sites do.

Mostly curious as to how the 1080Ti runs them compared to a 980 SLI setup.

It's not a huge deal as I should get my 1080Ti in the first batch of FTW3 shipments as I got my pre-order in early and I'll be able to see how it compares directly.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Well, unfortunately I have none of those games so benching will be more than just a pain.
redface.gif

This is a definitely non-optimized system run of Heaven at ultra 1080 8X AA for academic purposes:

(Ran it at 1920X1080 because I don't have 4K monitor and all benches seem to be run at one or the other)

Weird that Valley reports 1392MHz for GPU core speeds but OHM reports 1228 as peak and GPU-z reports 1216 as Boost Clock. Go figure.

Regardless, your 1080ti should be right around the same if not slightly better (and playability should be better as no SLI induced frame lags, etc.)

All I know is that for the games I play (which are admittedly a little out-of-date) everything runs at 2560X1600 in high settings and FPS in the upper 80s to 100s depending on the game. FarCry4 does get a little iffy in some places at ultra settings at that resolution, but nothing close to unplayable. Obviously CS isn't a good test as it's permanently pegged at whatever I cap the frames at, and Witcher3 with everything stays above 50 at all times. At 1080 I've not found anything that struggles at ultra settings with full aa af and tess running.

I can't imagine ArmA III not running like butter on a single 1080ti (at pretty much any resolution)... but then again I'm not familiar with it's engine so YMMV.
thumb.gif

·
Look at the avatar not me
330 Posts
ArmA III is heavily CPU bound but throwing more GPU at it doesn't hurt in some cases. I honestly don't expect much change in it.

Killing Floor 2 runs great on a single 980, runs better on 980 SLI (but there are some bugs right now with shadows and SLI) so I've been running it with SLI off and having the second card do PhysX stuff. Mainly want to know how it'll run once I'm on one card and have it doing PhysX stuff as well.

Elite: Dangerous has decent SLI scaling but also has some issues with SLI right now where the dark side of planets pulses from pitch black to bright with SLI enabled and it makes the game basically unplayable if you plan to land on planets. You can't always stick to the bright side. Have been running it off a single 980 as they don't seem to care all that much about fixing this issue as we've been complaining about it for about 6 months.

Another thing that is a big benefit is I run a G-Sync monitor, so even if I do get dips in performance I don't really notice them. A 1080Ti should be able to power through 1440p without a problem which is what I game at. The closer I can get to the 144Hz rate of the monitor though the better.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,659 Posts
I sent my GTX 980 in for RMA and of all things I got a 1070 SC back as a replacement.
That essentially means I no longer own a 980, so I no longer qualify for this club. It was fun while it lasted......

·
Premium Member
11,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post

I sent my GTX 980 in for RMA and of all things I got a 1070 SC back as a replacement.
That essentially means I no longer own a 980, so I no longer qualify for this club. It was fun while it lasted......
I have an EVGA GTX 980 SC that I will trade you for the 1070, just so you can still stay in the club.
yessir.gif

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,659 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hertz9753 View Post

I have an EVGA GTX 980 SC that I will trade you for the 1070, just so you can still stay in the club.
yessir.gif
No way, you'd do that for me?! Sweet, I get to stay in the club!.....lol

·
Registered
498 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madmaxneo View Post

Quote:

yessir.gif
No way, you'd do that for me?! Sweet, I get to stay in the club!.....lol
You're not serious are you? You would be giving up 4GB of DRAM plus a newer architecture.
Of course, maybe you were being sarcastic and I'm just dense.

·
Windows 10 Gamer
2,659 Posts
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by obikenobi27 View Post

You're not serious are you? You would be giving up 4GB of DRAM plus a newer architecture.
Of course, maybe you were being sarcastic and I'm just dense.
But who wouldn't do this for a classic like a GTX 980? It is such an awesome card, wouldn't you do the same?!
Yeah of course I am kidding.............lol
biggrinsmiley.gif

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
About the only way that would make sense is if you were totally committed to an SLI configuration and the 980 was identical to the ones you were running at the time one of them died. Even then it would only make sense if you were doing it mostly for aesthetics and OCD urges (which sadly applies to me way too often it seems).
biggrin.gif

·
Premium Member
11,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renairy View Post

Can anyone help me with gettin my Asus 980 strix to go past 1200mv?
Tried the gpu tweak II and everytime i apply more voltage it just resets back.
Greatly appreciated.
That card might be voltage locked. I know the Asus Strix GTX 970's were locked.

That is a 24/7 folding card and the EVGA GTX 980 SC does allow more voltage with the stock bios.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Only thing left to do is to try a modded VBIOS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renairy View Post

Can anyone help me with gettin my Asus 980 strix to go past 1200mv?
Tried the gpu tweak II and everytime i apply more voltage it just resets back.
Greatly appreciated.
You can try a modded VBIOS. Get someone to mod your current version. I just had my Voltage and Power Limit unlocked and I can bench at 1640 MHz @ 1.275v.

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Hey GTX 980 owners,

We are having our monthly Foldathon from Monday 17th - Wednesday 19th - 12 noon EST.
Would you consider putting all that power to a good cause for those 2 days? If so, come sign up and fold with us - see attached link.

April 2017 Foldathon

BTW - make sure you sign up
:thumb:

To get started:

1.Get a passkey (allows for speed bonus) - need a valid email address
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

2.Download the folding program:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Enter your folding name (mine is the same as my OCN name)
Enter your passkey
Enter Team OCN number - 37726

later
lanofsong

·
Registered
329 Posts
I'd love to but it's just too much work to Fold for you guys. First I have to be assigned to someone's team within the team. Besides, I have doctors appointments on Monday and Tuesday. Afterwards I will be taking a nice long cruise on my new motorcycle. Oh yeah before I forget, when I first signed up you deleted and disregarded all of my contributions to Folding at Home because, well, I don't know. I doubt you will even miss my meager 2.4 to 3.1 million ppd. Have a good one!

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhl3156 View Post

I'd love to but it's just too much work to Fold for you guys. First I have to be assigned to someone's team within the team. Besides, I have doctors appointments on Monday and Tuesday. Afterwards I will be taking a nice long cruise on my new motorcycle. Oh yeah before I forget, when I first signed up you deleted and disregarded all of my contributions to Folding at Home because, well, I don't know. I doubt you will even miss my meager 2.4 to 3.1 million ppd. Have a good one!

Hi Zuhl3156,

I see that you have folded for other teams but not for OCN. LINK

For the FAT, the only team you need to fold for is 37726 and not for a team within a team.

Hope all goes well with your Dr. appt. And enjoy your motorcycle ride (nice clean bike) - i hope to be out on my Vstrom 1000 sometime next week
:bike:

later

lanofsong

·
Premium Member
11,942 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhl3156 View Post

But you have never folded for OCN and you can't get awards or be added to competitions if you are folding for another team. It's not good or bad, it's just how things work...

·
Registered
329 Posts
Quote:

But you have never folded for OCN and you can't get awards or be added to competitions if you are folding for another team. It's not good or bad, it's just how things work...
My contributions to Folding at Home are still contributions. The team I Fold for now appreciates my contributions more and they never nag me for more and more as in "I know you can do better than that, just a few more days". I am disabled and on fixed income. I only have so much money left over at the end of the month and I choose to donate it to Folding. That's it and there ain't no more. I won't Fold for EVGA ever again so that should help you catch up to them and dethrone them from their #1 spot. They increased their requirements again but forget that electricity costs money. When you play the 'carrot on a stck' game you can't make the stick so long that the carrot seems out of reach. Sure, I could reach EVGA 's limits in a few days but what's it going to get me? EVGA bucks that I can only spend at their online store with inflated prices. What does EVGA get? Documented proof that they contributed to Medical Research so they can get a nice tax refund. I quit Folding for them for several months last year before I assembled the 980 ti machine and then I just did it for spite to take their bucks. This year I am done for good. They make me feel like a cheap street-walking tramp trying to see how far they can push me for the same $5. Look at this graph for the team I Fold for now. Can you tell when I am Folding?

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,531 Posts
Odd, the only time I've had people "nag" me for more was when I was part of the Team Competitions, which is something you have to actively join.. They're completely separate from the Foldathon events. And it was more along the lines of playful talking and jockeying for positions in your category,not actual nagging.

Since OCN is ponying up the prizes (as well as their member donations) for those who participate, it's only natural that they would expect you to fold for their team to qualify for the prize drawings. A decent number of those who participate in the Foldathon are "casual" folders who hop in for the event and then go back to what they were doing before (for me, it's BOINC work units for several projects - others fire up their benching rigs, gaming rigs, HTPCs, etc). Besides being part of OCN's team during the event, the only other request is that you sign up every month, and on average you'll receive 3-4 reminders about the event if you're part of the notification group.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the explanation. I might Fold for OCN one of these days but I am happy where I am now. I could NOT deal with 4 or 5 reminders each and every month to come and Fold. Like I said, I only have limited resources and once they're gone at the beginning of the month after I figure my budget and pay my electric bill they're gone for good and I will Fold no more until the next month. I will not be bullied or shamed into spending money I need for necessities like food and clothing.

10501 - 10520 of 10566 Posts