Overclock.net banner

10521 - 10540 of 10566 Posts

·
Fluffy Fennec Foxes!
10,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zuhl3156 View Post

Thanks for the explanation. I might Fold for OCN one of these days but I am happy where I am now. I could NOT deal with 4 or 5 reminders each and every month to come and Fold. Like I said, I only have limited resources and once they're gone at the beginning of the month after I figure my budget and pay my electric bill they're gone for good and I will Fold no more until the next month. I will not be bullied or shamed into spending money I need for necessities like food and clothing.
All that those PMs consist of usually is a link to the thread (first one)typically two weeks before, then a 48 hour reminder, followed by a "event has started" PM. Usually the only time a fourth one is sent is if your name was drawn. Those first three only happen if you're part of the notification list.

I've not seen (or experienced) any bullying or shaming - they're a good group of people who only care that OCN is coming together as a group to help with science. It doesn't matter what you bring, or how much you put in... Some people are only able to put 10k points into the pot due to hardware, power, or even time usage, but their willingness to help science is appreciated just as much as guys like BeerCan who have two racks of gear they bring into the mix.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, after all of that hootin' and a hollerin' I am only netting around 1.8 million ppd which is only 400,000 more than my two single 980 ti boards. I will spread the Classies as far apart as i can in this Z270 setup and run my other two 980 ti boards in my other Z97. I will leave my MSI GTX-980 Gaming 4G heavily modded boards in my Sweetie, Mab, right here. I don't know if I posted this here or not but I might as well show off for a little bit. If you've got it flaunt it, right guys?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:

I don't know if I posted this here or not but I might as well show off for a little bit. If you've got it flaunt it, right guys?
LOL! Nice. I laugh at the WEI but it's nice to know someone is getting an 'honest' assessment from it - worthless though it might be. No matter what I always get a 7.8 on processor despite being OC'd to 5.0GHz (3770K) - naturally my RAM, SSD Raid and SLI 980's guarantee everything else is a 7.9. I swear MS rates "calculations per second" as something other than actual calculations per second... either that or my CPU has attention deficit issues.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
328 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

LOL! Nice. I laugh at the WEI but it's nice to know someone is getting an 'honest' assessment from it - worthless though it might be. No matter what I always get a 7.8 on processor despite being OC'd to 5.0GHz (3770K) - naturally my RAM, SSD Raid and SLI 980's guarantee everything else is a 7.9. I swear MS rates "calculations per second" as something other than actual calculations per second... either that or my CPU has attention deficit issues.
biggrin.gif
Oh, I know! This is the first time I got a 7.9 for my Processor. I think MS had to reconfigure the test because Windows 10 stinks so bad even though Windows 10 doesn't have it visibly showing. I remember a thread asking if anyone got higher than 7.8 for CPU and what they had to do to get it. It closed back in 2012. There were OCs of 5.2 GHz and higher but it wouldn't budge. I had this Devils Canyon at 4.9 GHz stable and still only got 7.8 for it. There were also people with 6 HDD in RAID-0 who couldn't get higher than 5.9 and that really burned them up. Some even had higher transfer rates than a single SSD but still only got themselves a 5.9 no matter what. I wouldn't even own a SSD if it weren't for that. LOL
Well, at least I got audio and my keyboard and mouse did NOT drop out with Windows 10. As far as I can see, this will be my very last build since I will not ever purchase another Windows 10 licesnse. Too much bloatware, PERIOD! I only bought this ASRock Z270 Supercarrier because it had Windows 7 compatible downloads in their Support section. The installation appears to be progressing normally until the last few seconds where a popup declares installation failed with a red X in it. I was hoping I could run all 4 boards and be done with it but I think that the PLX chip butchers the results. 1.8 million ppd is only slightly better but if I can divide the boards into 2 per machine I will be getting a much better 2.8 million ppd.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:

Oh, I know! This is the first time I got a 7.9 for my Processor. I think MS had to reconfigure the test because Windows 10 stinks so bad even though Windows 10 doesn't have it visibly showing. I remember a thread asking if anyone got higher than 7.8 for CPU and what they had to do to get it. It closed back in 2012. There were OCs of 5.2 GHz and higher but it wouldn't budge. I had this Devils Canyon at 4.9 GHz stable and still only got 7.8 for it. There were also people with 6 HDD in RAID-0 who couldn't get higher than 5.9 and that really burned them up. Some even had higher transfer rates than a single SSD but still only got themselves a 5.9 no matter what. I wouldn't even own a SSD if it weren't for that. LOL
Well, at least I got audio and my keyboard and mouse did NOT drop out with Windows 10. As far as I can see, this will be my very last build since I will not ever purchase another Windows 10 licesnse. Too much bloatware, PERIOD! I only bought this ASRock Z270 Supercarrier because it had Windows 7 compatible downloads in their Support section. The installation appears to be progressing normally until the last few seconds where a popup declares installation failed with a red X in it. I was hoping I could run all 4 boards and be done with it but I think that the PLX chip butchers the results. 1.8 million ppd is only slightly better but if I can divide the boards into 2 per machine I will be getting a much better 2.8 million ppd.
I hear ya! I installed 10 for the first time on my recent build (had to in order to have M.2 support - but also because I have to try to get it to where I could possibly consider rolling it out to my work desktops some year). I just about uninstalled when I saw it had added a Candy Crush game as part of the install (as well as a ton of social media plug-in apps)... ***? And that was the Professional SKU! I already have to block almost all the social media sites and game sites, just to keep my users doing some actual work now and then... now they're just bundling all of it with the OS. Sigh.

I would definitely recommend running O&O Shut Up or similar utility - still doesn't turn off all telemetry, but it gets much closer.

Ah if only I didn't have to support legacy Windows apps and a user base which is rapidly becoming all senior citizens... I'd just move everything to Linux in a heartbeat.

And yes... the PLX chip does indeed cause issues in my experience at least (on MVE it did). It does what it can, but if you were looking for that solution then you needed to go 2011v3 and a 40-lane CPU I think.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Well, I would go X99 with a 40 lane CPU but on aircooling 3 out of 4 were running at 91°C no matter what I tried. #4 wherever it was, probably the very bottom, was running around 71°C but I got no idea where it was. Folding Client and Afterburner were showing different boards in different locations. Folding isn't that important to me. I will not even consider the purchase of four watercooling blocks and backplates at over $150 each board for something that I see no results for. Not now nor have I ever seen anything useful come out of Folding. If it did they're keeping it very, very quiet. If they did, it might make me inclinded to spend more of my fixed disability income on electricity. I refuse to Fold for EVGA again. They play that carrot and stick routine but they made the stick so long that the carrot looks like a pea and I hate peas. EVGA still gets their tax break for a documented contribution to medical research and I just get a higher electric bill to get the same $5 to $10 EVGA bucks that I can only spend at EVGA. Cha-ching!!! They are NOT selling us Folders upgrade parts at cost so they are making money by making us buy overpriced parts directly from them. BTW, I never got a decent video board from them! They are stable at stock clocks but that's all you can expect. I always wanted a Classified because I had always heard they were monsters, king of the beasts, best of the best but I must have waited too long because the 980 ti Classified is Voltage locked and won't budge without extra voltage controlling software that I have yet to see take my voltage higher than 1.212 whereas my MSI boards will top out at 1.275 and OC like a bandit. 1640 MHZ stable is what I call a real overclock for a GTX-980 no matter who makes it. Another thing to watch out for is instead of scrapping or repairing a Classified or FTW video board that is basically broken, EVGA openly states that these boards will not operate stable at the advertised speeds, they downclock them to reference clock speeds and sell them as Classified "REF" or FTW "DT"(detuned). They actually convince buyers that they are doing them a favor since these boards still have 14+3 power phases or 10+2 phases. That's like selling a Corvette that can't go from Zero to 60 in the advertised 4.8 seconds(or whatever) and putting an Impala V8 engine in it and saying it's the same thing. We're doing you a favor by lowering the price. It still has bucket seats and 4-wheel independent suspension just like a real Corvette. Anybody else see something wrong with this?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Well, the short answer is "Yes" but despite being much larger expenditures, the EVGA and Corvette examples bother me less than the fact that every time I buy toilet paper or a box of crackers at the store... the package is the same size but the product isn't.

Unfortunately that's the current state of consumer goods of every type now. Pay full price for software that doesn't include all advertised features until the third or fourth patch cycle (if at all). Pay $60 for a game that has only 4 hours of content, only to have $40 worth of DLC's added within the first year.

Same with services... it's next to impossible to get good customer service whether you're buying a $60 meal or a $60K swimming pool.

To some extent it's normal for a business to view the customer as a commodity rather than a relationship (at least once they grow past the 'family business' stage) but it's starting to feel like we're becoming slaves not simply strangers.

Back to your setup, I forgot you were all on air - I don't think I'd ever do a multi-GPU build again that wasn't under water now... there's just no way to get enough cooling to the GPUs unless you do some sort of PCIe backplane setup with 2-3 slots between all of them.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I have 1 universal GPU waterblock I got from eBay for only $15. IDK if I really want to buy a radiator, hose, clamps, fittings and 3 more uni-blocks just for Folding. I'll get better results by splitting two boards in the Z270 mobo and using the other two in my Z97 4690k setup which will give me 2.8 million ppd if I run them both. This 980 rig nets me around 1 million ppd but running this at full load and the twin 980 ti unit at full power really loads my circuit breakers. I cannot use my AC or microwave unless I Pause the Folding until I am done nuking my dinner. More bothersome to me is the lack of any earth shattering breakthroughs in the medical field directly related to Folding. All I see is mainly psych and Diabetes drugs being rammed down our throats on TV. I don't know about you but I'd like to know that I am making a difference helping sick people and not just increasing the size of my carbon footprint by flushing all of my extra cash down my power company's toilet. Can anybody show me something good that has actually come from Folding besides bragging rights about how many points someone can post?

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:

I have 1 universal GPU waterblock I got from eBay for only $15. IDK if I really want to buy a radiator, hose, clamps, fittings and 3 more uni-blocks just for Folding. I'll get better results by splitting two boards in the Z270 mobo and using the other two in my Z97 4690k setup which will give me 2.8 million ppd if I run them both. This 980 rig nets me around 1 million ppd but running this at full load and the twin 980 ti unit at full power really loads my circuit breakers. I cannot use my AC or microwave unless I Pause the Folding until I am done nuking my dinner. More bothersome to me is the lack of any earth shattering breakthroughs in the medical field directly related to Folding. All I see is mainly psych and Diabetes drugs being rammed down our throats on TV. I don't know about you but I'd like to know that I am making a difference helping sick people and not just increasing the size of my carbon footprint by flushing all of my extra cash down my power company's toilet. Can anybody show me something good that has actually come from Folding besides bragging rights about how many points someone can post?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/[email protected]

Essentially, as with all groundwork efforts - the actual advances are likely to come many months to years after the research and proofs are available to those working in the field.

However, the questions you raise are the same which caused me to stop folding some time ago (same reason I don't mine crypto currencies any longer either). It may be self-centered of me to hold this view, but I felt like I would be better using my resources by saving money to contribute directly to charities/research groups (or for that matter just buying books for an underprivileged student in my area) than running up an extra $100/mo in utilities. For the most part distributed processing power is not the rare commodity it was before all the "big boys" rolled out their cloud computing data centers.

Couple that with the state of pharma these days, and it seems likely that any real breakthroughs will be priced out of reach from many/most of the people that donated their time/hardware/power to the cause in the first place. Same with crypto... I could make my power company and the hardware companies rich... or I could just buy a couple BTC at current price and trade for profit... saving both the environment and my bank account at the same time!

That said, like almost any hobby (regardless of whether it has a benevolent 'goal' or not), most people do folding for the competition and community aspects I think - and the justification of doing it for a worthy cause is simply a nice add-on.

·
Registered
328 Posts
I begin to believe that the 'worthy cause' is a bunch of malarky. With the dear, sweet, lovable Dr Pande heading an investment group now he can pick and choose the WU that are most likely to pan out for future reasearch and be the most profitable for his investors. I think it is time for me to quit Folding again at least for a while until I see something that I want to see from them. It's not like anybody is going to miss me. I look at team after team and I only see possibly 10% of the original Folders still participating. Bitcoin mining is out of the question for me because of their purpose and main use to pay for human slave trading, arms sales, and drug sales. I still have to live with myself and cannot for the life of me see how someone would 'sell their soul' just to make a few bucks helping a bunch of international crime syndicates dodge the taxman and hide their criminal enterprises.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:

I begin to believe that the 'worthy cause' is a bunch of malarky. With the dear, sweet, lovable Dr Pande heading an investment group now he can pick and choose the WU that are most likely to pan out for future reasearch and be the most profitable for his investors. I think it is time for me to quit Folding again at least for a while until I see something that I want to see from them. It's not like anybody is going to miss me. I look at team after team and I only see possibly 10% of the original Folders still participating. Bitcoin mining is out of the question for me because of their purpose and main use to pay for human slave trading, arms sales, and drug sales. I still have to live with myself and cannot for the life of me see how someone would 'sell their soul' just to make a few bucks helping a bunch of international crime syndicates dodge the taxman and hide their criminal enterprises.
Well, you certainly could look at it that way. However, you could also consider many of the more humanitarian ventures and relief efforts it is empowering currently... and it's still in its infancy.

Ideologies and religions are beneficial for providing aspirations outside simple survival and pleasure... but they walk the fine line between helpful and destructive all the time. Usually, the amount of zealotry involved is the deciding factor which determines which it becomes.

I work in the US, earning and spending US dollars... which are arguably used for the same (and worse) purposes you attribute to Bitcoin. By the same token it could be argued that watching a movie or TV, listening to music, or even paying taxes is supporting pedophilia, slavery, drug and arms deals, etc... it's certainly funding a violation of privacy and free enterprise... but at some point you have to shrug off that which you can't do anything about and worry about that which you can. After all, those same dollars are also used to help cure diseases, feed the hungry, house the homeless, etc.

Being a 'conscientious investor' (whether we're talking about WUs, $s, or BTCs) at some point in time comes down to simply hoping what you contributed actually gets used for that purpose. That's why I usually try to look locally for such opportunities rather than globally... there's plenty of struggling families in every community, and many fall through the cracks in the system(s) that are ostensibly created to help them. Of course, you can find corruption locally as well... but at least it's a little harder to hide it.
tongue.gif

I wouldn't worry to much about it either way... there's enough stress and disappointment in life as it is, without carrying the world on your shoulders. IMHO at least. I'd say just fold as much as you want, for the reasons you want to do it... and if you don't - don't.

You know, I've heard you can also play some pretty decent video games on those 980s
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
328 Posts
My 980 SLI will play any game I own and has no problem driving my HTC Vive. Of course I could have purchased a nice pair of GTX-1080 ti with EK waterblocks for around $1800 but I decided to buy a nice Virago instead. See ya, I gotta go riding! Trust me when I say it is a whole lot more fun in real life than it is in VR. Ha-Haaaaa!
devil-smiley-019.gif

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:

My 980 SLI will play any game I own and has no problem driving my HTC Vive. Of course I could have purchased a nice pair of GTX-1080 ti with EK waterblocks for around $1800 but I decided to buy a nice Virago instead. See ya, I gotta go riding! Trust me when I say it is a whole lot more fun in real life than it is in VR. Ha-Haaaaa!
devil-smiley-019.gif
That sounds like a winner. Enjoy.
thumb.gif

·
Look at the avatar not me
330 Posts
Quote:

devil-smiley-019.gif
So I Googled "Virago" as I am unfamiliar with the term, got "a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman." as the first result.

Then I realized it's a motorcycle.

·
Premium Member
11,941 Posts
I had a Yamaha dealer down the street when I was growing up. He also sold Kawasaki and Suzuki bikes but Yamaha pretty much the king up here in the 1970's and early 80's.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RadActiveLobstr View Post

So I Googled "Virago" as I am unfamiliar with the term, got "a domineering, violent, or bad-tempered woman." as the first result.

Then I realized it's a motorcycle.
With either one it all depends on throttle control.
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
328 Posts
Wow! I did not know that. I can't believe some of the Synonyms for Virago. I get 'shrew', 'witch', 'hellcat', 'Battle-ax''(whoa), 'vixen'(meh, better than most), 'bag', 'biddy', 'ogress', 'she-wolf'. Rather than take any chances from now on before I turn the key and start her up I will whisper, "If you love me you'll let me on top". I can sit here and picture how long and bloody the skid mark would be on the pavement if that 620 lb beast wound up on top!
ohno-smiley.gif

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Hey there GTX 980 owners,

Would you consider signing up with Team OCN for the 2017 Pentathlon (May 5th through May 19th). There is so much time left an we really could use your help.

This event is truly a GLOBAL battle with you team OCN going up against many teams from across the world and while we put in a good showing at last year's event by finishing 6th, we could do with a lot more CPU/GPU compute power. All you need to do is sign up and crunch on any available hardware that you can spare.

The cool thing about this event is that it spread over 5 disciplines over varying lengths of time (different projects) so there is a lot of strategy/tactics involved.

We look forward to having you and your hardware on our team. Again, this event lasts for two weeks and takes place May 5th through the 19th.

• Download the software here.

https://boinc.berkeley.edu/download.php

Presently we really would like some help with the following project - This starts 8pm EST 5/8/17 :

Add the following GPU project - Einsteinathome.org

Note: For every project you fold on, you will be offered if you want to join a team - type in overclock.net (enter) then JOIN team.

• Remember to sign up for the Boinc team by going here: You can also post any questions that your may have - this group is very helpful
    :thumbsups

8th BOINC Pentathlon thread

To find your Cross Project ID# - sign into your account and it will be located under Computing and Credit

This really is an exciting and fun event and i look forward to it every year and I am hoping that you will join us and participate in this event
:grouphug:

BTW - There is an awesome BOINC Pentathlon badge for those who participate

lanofsong

OCN - FTW
:sonic:

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Hey GTX 980 owners,

We are having our monthly Foldathon from Monday 22nd - Wednesday 24th - 12noon EST.
Would you consider putting all that power to a good cause for those 2 days? If so, come sign up and fold with us - see attached link.

May 2017 Foldathon

To get started:

1.Get a passkey (allows for speed bonus) - need a valid email address
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

2.Download the folding program:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Enter your folding name (mine is the same as my OCN name)
Enter your passkey
Enter Team OCN number - 37726

later
lanofsong - Got 3 x GTX980's folding as i type

10521 - 10540 of 10566 Posts