Overclock.net banner

10541 - 10560 of 10566 Posts

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post

Anyone here have sli 980's and a Ryan 1700 and game at 4k? How is it? Jw
It should be OK but not fantastic - dependent on the game of course. The biggest issue is the VRAM not the chip or the core capability as texture cache is obviously less than it would be with a 1080 or 1080 ti... but never had any issues gaming at 2560X1600 on them and that's with a 3770K (granted a 5GHz OC'd 3770K but still).

Overall I'd say performance is nearly identical to my single 1080 and ~15% less than my single 1080 ti.

Don't expect more than 45-50 fps on anything recent however on anything close to max settings. Everyone has a different definition of 'playable' so it's impossible to say for you... are you bigger on eye candy or FPS? If you're willing to sacrifice some of the former for the latter... then you'll be just fine. The upside is that unless you're using a huge monitor (40"+), at 4K and a normal viewing distance, you don't need AA or AF nearly as much to see smooth curves, etc.since the pixel density is so high.

·
I'm here lol
1,347 Posts
Eventually I'd like to upgrade to sli 1080's lime once I get the new system up and running and all that and I'm trying to sell my old.larts to haha

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by trivium nate View Post

Eventually I'd like to upgrade to sli 1080's lime once I get the new system up and running and all that and I'm trying to sell my old.larts to haha
Well, if they can't get the GPU supply situation under control... then that might be a very pricey upgrade. I can't wait for AMD and NV to release their headless mining cards so those of us looking to actually drive a monitor don't get gouged so ruthlessly on decent hardware.
rolleyes.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Weird behavior on my SLI setup: BFI on High at 1440P with DX12 enabled I get 100% usage on GPU_1 (bottom card) and 85-95% on GPU_0 (top card). I get a little lag at the beginning of a Conquest, but it usually smooths itself out a minute into the game (loading textures?).

All other games I've ever played has had the opposite: more usage on 0 than 1, but GPU_0 (top card) consistently never goes above 95% usage.

Anyone know why this is? Does lower usage on the main (top) card mean the GPU or memory is going bad?

Games seem to play nicely without issue, so I'm wondering if I'm just being paranoid
rolleyes.gif

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

Weird behavior on my SLI setup: BFI on High at 1440P with DX12 enabled I get 100% usage on GPU_1 (bottom card) and 85-95% on GPU_0 (top card). I get a little lag at the beginning of a Conquest, but it usually smooths itself out a minute into the game (loading textures?).

All other games I've ever played has had the opposite: more usage on 0 than 1, but GPU_0 (top card) consistently never goes above 95% usage.

Anyone know why this is? Does lower usage on the main (top) card mean the GPU or memory is going bad?

Games seem to play nicely without issue, so I'm wondering if I'm just being paranoid
rolleyes.gif
One possibility, though I'm not terribly familiar with those games, is PhysX directed to a specific GPU in the driver, or to CPU? Don't know if that is the case, but if the game is PhysX enabled, maybe it's loading the GPU handling it more and thus under-utilizing the other (i.e. both GPUs are doing 85% rendering with the oddball doing another 15% load in PhysX calcs?)

Of course, different engines load differently and it's possible that one is more "SLI-optimized" than the other is.

Usually if it's memory then you'll be seeing similar artifacts to a card that's overheating. Either that or full blown crashes. My guess is it's a software issue - either driver or game.

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

One possibility, though I'm not terribly familiar with those games, is PhysX directed to a specific GPU in the driver, or to CPU? Don't know if that is the case, but if the game is PhysX enabled, maybe it's loading the GPU handling it more and thus under-utilizing the other (i.e. both GPUs are doing 85% rendering with the oddball doing another 15% load in PhysX calcs?)

Of course, different engines load differently and it's possible that one is more "SLI-optimized" than the other is.

Usually if it's memory then you'll be seeing similar artifacts to a card that's overheating. Either that or full blown crashes. My guess is it's a software issue - either driver or game.
PhysX is set to automatic, so that's up to the driver/ game profile to decide I suppose. It very well could be optimization and/ or software. I'll run DDU tonight and reinstall latest drivers to test if it is still persistent.

·
Registered
2,704 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bajer29 View Post

PhysX is set to automatic, so that's up to the driver/ game profile to decide I suppose. It very well could be optimization and/ or software. I'll run DDU tonight and reinstall latest drivers to test if it is still persistent.
You can always set PhysX to CPU manually just to make sure it's out of the equation. Troubleshooting load differences between GPUs can turn into an endeavor in futility quickly IMO.

It seems like every other driver release NV breaks something that they had working well in order to fix something that wasn't.
redface.gif

·
Filthy Casual
2,949 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiGiCiDAL View Post

You can always set PhysX to CPU manually just to make sure it's out of the equation. Troubleshooting load differences between GPUs can turn into an endeavor in futility quickly IMO.

It seems like every other driver release NV breaks something that they had working well in order to fix something that wasn't.
redface.gif
Very true, I'd rather keep my sanity. Maybe I'll just turn off OSD for a while and just play games and not worry about hardware vitals for a bit
tongue.gif

·
Premium Member
5,144 Posts
Hey GTX980 owners,

We are having our monthly Foldathon from Monday 16th - Wednesday 18th - 12noon EST.
Would you consider putting all that awesome GPU power to a good cause for those 2 days? If so, come sign up and fold with us - see attached link.

October 2017 Foldathon

To get started:

1.Get a passkey (allows for speed bonus) - need a valid email address
http://fah-web.stanford.edu/cgi-bin/getpasskey.py

2.Download the folding program:
http://folding.stanford.edu/

Enter your folding name (mine is the same as my OCN name)
Enter your passkey
Enter Team OCN number - 37726

later
lanofsong

·
Registered
3 Posts
This is what i am getting when i try to flash the VBIOS:

Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (C8,4012) : GD GD25Q20 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page
Command id:1000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NEW
Error: NV_UCODE_ERR_CODE_CMD_VBIOS_VERIFY_BIOS_SIG_FAIL

Command id:000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE

Storing updated firmware image...
Verifying update...
Update successful.

Firmware image has been updated from version 84.00.41.00.90 to 84.00.41.00.90.

A reboot is required for the update to take effect.

And yes, i am using the NVIDIA NVFlash with Certificate Checks Bypassed. (5.287) And yes, i also deactivate the graphics card before flashing.

How to solve this?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slipknot79 View Post

This is what i am getting when i try to flash the VBIOS:

Identifying EEPROM...
EEPROM ID (C8,4012) : GD GD25Q20 2.7-3.6V 2048Kx1S, page
Command id:1000000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NEW

Command id:000E Command: NV_UCODE_CMD_COMMAND_VV failed
Command Status:NV_UCODE_CMD_STS_NONE

Storing updated firmware image...
Verifying update...
Update successful.

Firmware image has been updated from version 84.00.41.00.90 to 84.00.41.00.90.

A reboot is required for the update to take effect.

And yes, i am using the NVIDIA NVFlash with Certificate Checks Bypassed. (5.287) And yes, i also deactivate the graphics card before flashing.

How to solve this?
Ok solved this, i used an older version of nvflash, 5.236.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hello,

I have recently purchased a GTX 980 because I only want to play at 1080p, its fine for me. I want to update the bios but I'm a bit confused with the bios version. I have an windforce g1 gaming 4Gb with the bios number 84.04.24.00.58, what is the last bios for this model? Are there any changelog?

Thanks

·
Registered
42 Posts
EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 stock rom, any help would be appreciated (even though this thread is old)
I have these that I can dump the ROM from: "EVGA GeForce GTX 980 04G-P4-2982-KR 4GB SC GAMING"

·
Gamer
1,732 Posts
EVGA GTX 980 Superclocked ACX 2.0 stock rom, any help would be appreciated (even though this thread is old)
Learn how to Mod and Flash BIOS from this first page ""https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1573308-nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request.html"" extract your BIOS, copy all the settings from this BIOS to yours and Flash. 1531MHz. I did it back in 980 days, this was my best result. If i find my bios i used i'll send it here later.

Attachments

·
Gamer
1,732 Posts
Learn how to Mod and Flash BIOS from this first page ""https://www.overclock.net/forum/69-nvidia/1573308-nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request.html"" extract your BIOS, copy all the settings from this BIOS to yours and Flash. 1531MHz. I did it back in 980 days, this was my best result. If i find my bios i used i'll send it here later.
Here, try this. This is YOUR BIOS @ 1557.0 @ 1.281.3V & 400W Power Raise. If you mess it up it's on you. Make sure you have proper tools and know what you are doing and you have Proper Cooling.
It's the bios you've uploaded to "nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request"

Attachments

·
Gamer
1,732 Posts
Here, try this. This is YOUR BIOS @ 1557.0 @ 1.281.3V & 400W Power Raise. If you mess it up it's on you. Make sure you have proper tools and know what you are doing and you have Proper Cooling.
It's the bios you've uploaded to "nvidia-gtx-900-cards-custom-bios-upon-request"
Test it properly when Flashed and if you get Artifacts in any test or a game, even a small one, let me know but also try this 1506MHz version. If you want me to edit your fan speeds i need to know what to change it to. This is what your Stock/Default settings are...

Attachments

• Rep+
Reactions: xzamples

·
Zostacular
661 Posts
You can't get 400W on a reference PCB card, board power max limit by the shunt resistors is 300W. It's pointless to raise the limit beyond that, unless the user has done a shunt mod.

10541 - 10560 of 10566 Posts