Overclock.net banner

681 - 700 of 715 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
For the 2080 Super, I'm seeing its +100 for Core and ~+1000 VRAM. Is there a voltage bump too? Running afterburner.
I did a rebuild going from a 9700k to 3950x. I have a non super 2080 and had to tweak the heck out of the curve to figure out how to match my former 9700k 5.1Ghz.
With the 9700k I just did the slider and for the most part the voltage % did very little. It did seem to crash RDR2 when it was set over 46%.

The same profile did not work well with the 3950x. I was losing anywhere from 2 to 6% performance so I dug into editing the curve and using monitor software to record the voltages, loads and frequencies.
I created my own curve and surpassed my intel build. The memory speed is forgiving but can actually slow performance down with error correction. This is when I realized the voltage % slider actually stabilizes the memory. It did nothing that I can see to stabilize the core. I am stuck with 2130Mhz on the core. Any higher I get crashes or artifacts, however, I was able to increase the memory to 8230 (+160) with the voltage % slider. I'm not sure if its a voltage jump or just offsets the voltage per frequency. I haven't paid that much attention to the max voltage and this seems to be stable with 40c temps underload.

I would imagine with the right OC curve, a super should outperform mine especially with an intel chipset. Although, my RTX 2080 does have a higher TDP and factory clocks then most non supers.

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
I highly advise everyone not to keep clocks too high, or to at least keep in mind that if games crash, the reason is that the clocks are set too high and should be toned down. On an ASUS STRIX, I ultimately settled on +70 Core and +1150 Memory, and these values were rounded down just to be safe. I never encountered any more crashes after that.
I totally agree. I have a non super and +76 was the max to be able to play RDR2 without crashing. However, that slider increases the offset across the entire curve. When I created my own curve, I was able to determine which voltage and frequency was causing instability. I was able to increase performance by OC per voltage. Frequency isn't as high but it kicks in sooner and doesn't drop to a lower frequency with a custom curve. Then you can tweak the curve as you encounter issues. It's time consuming.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi guys,
There is anyway to turn off the fans of my RTX2080 Super Founders edition when in idle?
Some secure bios that have this feature and that i could use?
My fans in 41% idle are doing a thin boring noise.
I saw the asus 2080s bios, they have the same pcb, but asus dont have USB-c.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hi guys,
There is anyway to turn off the fans of my RTX2080 Super Founders edition when in idle?
Some secure bios that have this feature and that i could use?
My fans in 41% idle are doing a thin boring noise.
I saw the asus 2080s bios, they have the same pcb, but asus dont have USB-c.

I'm not familiar with the FE, but 41% 1500 rpm sounds like the its locked. I am wondering if something like corsair commander or another fan controller that can monitor gpu temps so you can do your own fan curve. just need to unplug the fan from gpu pcb and make an adapter.

I know its not really an answer, but, it may give you alternatives to research.

·
Registered
371 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
88 Posts
It took me awhile to find the right software for my setup to tweak my RTX 2080 to run 2160Mhz/8209Mhz all day at 40c. Finally did it and passes all stress test and even RDR2 using vulkan with no GFX error state!!
I use OCCT6 for the memory. It seems to always use the highest frequency set on the curve and EVGA OC Scanner X to scan for artifacts. MSI kombuster and OCCT would not always go with the highest GPU frequency I had set on the curve.
I didn't realize how sensitive Memory speed correlated with GPU frequency and voltages. And the voltage % also makes a difference when you get to fine tuning memory vs frequency at each specific voltage for stability.
Anyway, I was only able to get constant 2160Mhz stable at one specific memory speed.
I can see why RDR2 would have issues. It was hard to get each voltage frequency correct and not have any artifacts.

I was able to use occt and msi kombuster at lower voltage to test for artifacts.

With 3dmark I was able to take top spots for 3950x w/ single gpu 2080 (non super) scores in all the benchmarks pretty easily. The timespy run attached average 2160 the entire run. The extreme average 2153, At some point it most of dropped to 2145 for a little bit.

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming, just flashed it with the Gainward 280W Bios and so far seeing pretty nice improvements, core OC went up from +125 to +150, rest stayed the same. Shame about the fan speed, might just plop a 360mm AIO later and hopefully get a 2100mhz stable

·
Registered
88 Posts
EVGA RTX 2080 Black Edition Gaming, just flashed it with the Gainward 280W Bios and so far seeing pretty nice improvements, core OC went up from +125 to +150, rest stayed the same. Shame about the fan speed, might just plop a 360mm AIO later and hopefully get a 2100mhz stable
After my motherboard bios update, my memory latency improved and all my benchmarks scores increased. I notice it affected my gpu. GPU is stable at 2175 and actually runs little cooler.
Do you know what the maximum voltage your hitting? I am stable 2175 @ 1087mV. 90% on OC scanner test and no artifacts EVGA OC scanner X. I'm hitting power limit so I can't hit higher voltage. I just need a little more juice to hit 2190.

·
Registered
96 Posts
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 DirectX 12 DUAL-RTX2080-8G-EVO 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

model DUAL-RTX2080-8G-EVO

Just bought that on newegg is it possible to change the lights at all?

·
Overclocker
11,356 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2080 DirectX 12 DUAL-RTX2080-8G-EVO 8GB 256-Bit GDDR6 PCI Express 3.0 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card

model DUAL-RTX2080-8G-EVO

Just bought that on newegg is it possible to change the lights at all?

·
Registered
371 Posts
You mean to say that you're almost hitting 80C with a water cooler? :rolleyes:

I am saying

that with an AIO of 35 USD single 120 fan, adapted because not compatible with the aluminum plate,
closed case with room temperature today at 35 degrees,
RTX 2080S overclocked at +100 core +120 memory 100% voltage and 120% power...

under stress test as Firestrike Ultra or GPU OCCT error test,

I reached a peak of 78 degrees, average 59 degrees, 2100MHz core and 9000MHz memory, without thermal throttling.
And if I keep the memory at 8000Mhz, the temps are decreasing at least of 10 degrees...

So for what I spent in terms of money related at the results, I am pretty satisfied ;)
but not satisfied about tubes and radiators positioning and so on, will be the next step...

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
I am saying

that with an AIO of 35 USD single 120 fan, adapted because not compatible with the aluminum plate,
closed case with room temperature today at 35 degrees,
RTX 2080S overclocked at +100 core +120 memory 100% voltage and 120% power...

under stress test as Firestrike Ultra or GPU OCCT error test,

I reached a peak of 78 degrees, average 59 degrees, 2100MHz core and 9000MHz memory, without thermal throttling.
And if I keep the memory at 8000Mhz, the temps are decreasing at least of 10 degrees...

So for what I spent in terms of money related at the results, I am pretty satisfied ;)
but not satisfied about tubes and radiators positioning and so on, will be the next step...
dude, for 120mm aio, 78c is extremely high. even 68c is already too high.
you better check the thermal paste spread.

·
Slurpee Addict
379 Posts
so uh I have an odd issue everytime i shut off my computer and turn it back on , 1 monitor out of 3 doesn't get a signal , its got a hdmi to dvi adapter, to correct it i gotta change ports with the other monitor which is my center and main to get a signal again after the reboot

·
Registered
371 Posts
What aluminum front plate is it? It's some AIO to GPU kit?
I'm surprised because usually people go for water cooling GPU to keep it under 50 C.
With only a 120 mm radiator, not sure how well that will go.

I agree, in normal conditions as you said, should be around 50 ~ 60 degrees, depending also from ambient conditions.
It's a customized one for a specific AIO, then I modified it for do not buy a new one, you can check the link below:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1749718-aio-id-cooling-frostflow-x360-frostflow-120vga.html#post28497402

the temperatures are not ideal, but are safe, without thermal throttling, so that's what i need right now ;)

·
Registered
371 Posts
dude, for 120mm aio, 78c is extremely high. even 68c is already too high.
you better check the thermal paste spread.
the temperatures are not ideal, but are safe, without thermal throttling, so that's what i need right now, because i don't want to change my AIO yet
It's a customized one for a specific AIO, then I modified it for do not buy a new one, you can check the link below:
https://www.overclock.net/forum/61-water-cooling/1749718-aio-id-cooling-frostflow-x360-frostflow-120vga.html#post28497402

·
Premium Member
1,161 Posts
the temperatures are not ideal, but are safe, without thermal throttling, so that's what i need right now, because i don't want to change my AIO yet
no offense. the point of aio cooling for gpu should not be just about avoiding thermal throttled.
i used to have this id cooling gpu kit (120MM), for my gtx970 with custom bios modded to 300w.
i tried running furmark 1080p 0xaa for a hour, my 970 reached ~280w @ 65c max.

I am currently using 2080super with nzxt g12.
my card can reach 250~300w very often in games.
and i have zero heatsink for vrm and vram. i also oc the core and vram to 2055/2188, with max power limit.

so if i were you i would take off that cooling plate and use the id cooling kit directly onto the pcb.
of course risks are taken all by yourself:D

·
Registered
371 Posts
no offense. the point of aio cooling for gpu should not be just about avoiding thermal throttled.
i used to have this id cooling gpu kit (120MM), for my gtx970 with custom bios modded to 300w.
i tried running furmark 1080p 0xaa for a hour, my 970 reached ~280w @ 65c max.

I am currently using 2080super with nzxt g12.
my card can reach 250~300w very often in games.
and i have zero heatsink for vrm and vram. i also oc the core and vram to 2055/2188, with max power limit.

so if i were you i would take off that cooling plate and use the id cooling kit directly onto the pcb.
of course risks are taken all by yourself:D
no offense at all ;) I CAN'T remove that copper plate, because it's the only way for "put in touch" the AIO with the GPU core. I have 3mm of space between them. I did it for that reason, not for other technical advantages. For sure I should buy a new AIO, but I can't right now, so this is the "ideal situation" until I will change it again ;)

681 - 700 of 715 Posts