Overclock.net banner

2441 - 2460 of 2599 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
You mean i can flash it to 450w or spikes are 450w? im not planning to flash anything,i want to use it as it stock,i have only option to buy seasonic gx850 focus gold plus pair with a 5600x is it enought for strix?

·
Registered
1,103 Posts
You mean i can flash it to 450w or spikes are 450w? im not planning to flash anything,i want to use it as it stock,i have only option to buy seasonic gx850 focus gold plus pair with a 5600x is it enought for strix?
My friend, if you have the Asus RTX 3080 Strix OC then your card at nromal would run with a 370 watt power limit. In MSI afterburner you can increase that power limit to 450 watt that is normal.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I did not quite expect this.
Flashed the STRIX OC bios on my TUF non oc, and massively lost performance (but gained 100w draw)

Core temp never went above 65c

STRIX 121/100
STRIX STOCK
TUFF - 117/100

Edit: managed to get up to 11333 points with the strix bios. but at a locked 0.9v and a power draw of 430-440w.
Going back to the original tuf bios as thats just silly.

Also anything at 1995 mhz or above is a guaranteed hard lock on my TUF.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Flashed the STRIX OC bios on my TUF non oc, and massively lost performance (but gained 100w draw)

STRIX 121/100
STRIX STOCK
TUFF - 117/100
The TUF only has 2 PCIe power connectors and the Strix has 3. Your TUF isn't capable of pulling that much power and the BIOS will be messing with your card and not reporting correctly. You should just flash it back mate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
The TUF only has 2 PCIe power connectors and the Strix has 3. Your TUF isn't capable of pulling that much power and the BIOS will be messing with your card and not reporting correctly. You should just flash it back mate.
It has dual bios ;) 11821 with the TUFF bios now at 345W.
Also 2x8pin can easily handle 450w. Miners have been pulling 300w per cable without issues.
However, something on the card obviously cant handle it.

@zhrooms
The "375W PL is Bs ,and others have the exact same issue when i search around.
The slider can go that high, the card refuses. And shows power limit 1 whenever it passes 345.

First page should be changed until someone actually proves it can do 375W.

·
Registered
47 Posts
It has dual bios ;) 11821 with the TUFF bios now at 345W.
Also 2x8pin can easily handle 450w. Miners have been pulling 300w per cable without issues.
However, something on the card obviously cant handle it.
It has nothing to do how much wattage an 8pin connector can provide but how PL is calculated. In short, a bios with PL calculation for 3x8 pins will not work correctly (and actually reduce performance) when u only have 2x physical 8pins. There are many many posts about this in this thread. Sorry!

·
Registered
12 Posts
The math is pretty easy for that. Let‘s start with the max. TDP for 2x 8Pin 375W Bios:

75W (PCIe Slot) + 150W (1st 8Pin) + 150W (2nd 8Pin) = 375W

Now the max. TDP 450W Bios for 3x 8Pin is split like this:

75W (PCIe Slot) + 125W (1st 8Pin) + 125W (2nd 8Pin) + 125W (3rd 8Pin) = 450W

Now lets say you flash the 450W Bios on a 2x 8Pin card then you will be missing the 3rd 8Pin to provide the additional 125W. But the Limits per rail is already set in the bios (75W for PCIe and 125W per pin). Meaning your card can only draw 325W (PCIe + 8Pin 1 + 8Pin 2). In the end, you would lose performance because of the missing 3rd pin.

I hope this helps. Still struggling with english.

·
Facepalm
8,622 Posts
The math is pretty easy for that. Let‘s start with the max. TDP for 2x 8Pin 375W Bios:

Now lets say you flash the 450W Bios on a 2x 8Pin card then you will be missing the 3rd 8Pin to provide the additional 125W. But the Limits per rail is already set in the bios (75W for PCIe and 125W per pin). Meaning your card can only draw 325W (PCIe + 8Pin 1 + 8Pin 2). In the end, you would lose performance because of the missing 3rd pin.

This is not exactly true for TDP technically. Any rail reaching its limit will trigger PWR, even if all three are not at the limit. It just takes one to be there. The problem is, I haven't seen a single board that loads all three 8 pins evenly. It's usually something like: 150W+150W+75W+75W from what I've seen. Someone correct me if I'm wrong. I've also never seen a board with a 125W cap on any 8 pin.

·
Registered
12 Posts
That was just the math to explain why 450W bios doesn‘t perform better on 2x 8pin cards. It‘s the same topic with the 2080 Ti in the past when people flashed 3pin bios to get more than 380W on their 2x 8pin cards.

·
Registered
41 Posts
Okay, over the past month or so I've been playing around with a Palit RTX 3080 Gamingpro OC, Gigabyte Eagle RTX 3080 OC and now finally got a MSI RTX 3080 Gaming X Trio which is by far the best. The normal bios for this card works well and temps are pretty good. Taken that it does take 3 x 8 pin PCIe power connectors I did try the Asus Strix OC bios as well as the EVGA FTW3 ULTRA but temps were like 53 to 54c with fans at 100% where as with the MSI Gaming X Trio it would be 44 to 45c max. Yes I do understand that the increased power would mean increased heat but most of the benches I ran failed as well. Interestingly I've noticed now on three occasions that the max boost clocks per AIB is different.

If you take the Palit card with base clock 1740mhz it boost at stock 2040 to 2055mhz which means 300 to 315mhz.

With the Eagle OC you have a base of 1755mhz it would boost at stock to 1980mhz which means 225mhz boost.

With the MSI Gaming X Trio you have a base clock of 1815mhz it boost at stock to 2040mhz which means 225mhz boost from base.

When using the Asus Strix OC bios you have a base clock of 1905mhz and the max boost I have seen while running the same benchmark was 2040 which means 135mhz boost from base.

When using the Evga FTW3 Ultra bios you have a base clock of 1800mhz and the max boost I have seen was 2025mhz and as such a boost of 225mhz from base.

Now correct me if I am wrong. But from what I remember with the RTX 2080 Ti I had, the boost was 300mhz+ from base which makes the Palit the only card that actually boost more or less the same as the RTX 2080 ti. Look I may be wrong, but this is what I have seen from my tests, actually having a Palit, Eagle OC and now MSI Gaming X Trio.
Damn, so I think there is something wrong with my Trio. It is only boosting to max 1950 at stock in Port Royal with the only change being a 102 power limit. Is there something I am maybe doing wrong?

I tried a manual OC to 2010MHZ at 0.95V and couldn't even get through a Time Spy. It made it though at 0.975 at 1995MHZ. I think I may have lost the lottery.

·
Registered
20 Posts

I know what you mean. but its literally reporting a actual power draw of 4502
if its 125+125 i should never have even gotten to my old level.
I can also limit to the voltage and never trigger the "power limit" @ 450

But performance is still worse.

What i think is happening is that the strix bios is causing wrong power readouts form the sensors. That would explain it.

·
Gaming Overclocker
2,012 Posts
😎

I'm about to give it a spin. Only negative is not being able to re-set EEPROM protection after flashing but I figure that's the norm with the Ampere atm.
Keep us informed pal, I'm playing @2100 min on both WDL and ACV for the moment with the Trio's stock bios so there's no need to increase any power draw but I'll surely give it a run as well soon, maybe I'll even put her under water then it's a must.

·
Facepalm
8,622 Posts
Damn, so I think there is something wrong with my Trio. It is only boosting to max 1950 at stock in Port Royal with the only change being a 102 power limit. Is there something I am maybe doing wrong?

I tried a manual OC to 2010MHZ at 0.95V and couldn't even get through a Time Spy. It made it though at 0.975 at 1995MHZ. I think I may have lost the lottery.

You didn't lose the lottery. Port Royal will try to draw about 450-500W of power on ampere. That's way above your power limit. 340 watts * 102% is only 350 watts. Your card is going to throttle the boost clocks hard to maintain that.

·
Registered
23 Posts

I wouldn't worry, my Trio was around 1980 at stock because it hits the max TDP quite easily and doesn't go any higher without variable instability.

Keep us informed pal, I'm playing @2100 min on both WDL and ACV for the moment with the Trio's stock bios so there's no need to increase any power draw but I'll surely give it a run as well soon, maybe I'll even put her under water then it's a must.
Gave it a brief exploratory run in Port Royal, 12k @ 2.1GHz @400w so not that much improvement over stock vBIOS tbh.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I wouldn't worry, my Trio was around 1980 at stock because it hits the max TDP quite easily and doesn't go any higher without variable instability.

Gave it a brief exploratory run in Port Royal, 12k @ 2.1GHz @400w so not that much improvement over stock vBIOS tbh.
What did you end up doing in terms of an underplot/OC? Do you have any Timespy or Port Royal runs I could look at?

I really hope MSI releases an official BIOS with a higher TDP. Ridiculous they have 3 8 PINS for the current BIOS.

I also got a TUF that seems to perform better in benches but the coil whine is unbarleable so I am going to send that one back.

·
Registered
23 Posts
What did you end up doing in terms of an underplot/OC? Do you have any Timespy or Port Royal runs I could look at?

I really hope MSI releases an official BIOS with a higher TDP. Ridiculous they have 3 8 PINS for the current BIOS.

I also got a TUF that seems to perform better in benches but the coil whine is unbarleable so I am going to send that one back.
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/524788 is the brief test I ran earlier.

With the Suprim coming out I doubt we'll ever see an official >350w TDP for the Trio, after all they didn't just add three MLCC clusters, few power phases, and a BIOS switch for just £200 right?

What's sad is that the Trio should have those features, else it's a waste of 3x8 but I digress, got a random card on launch; can't be too upset with it.

Can't remember on stock, think the lowest I undervolted was around 1920 @ 925mv.

·
Registered
41 Posts
https://www.3dmark.com/pr/524788 is the brief test I ran earlier.

With the Suprim coming out I doubt we'll ever see an official >350w TDP for the Trio, after all they didn't just add three MLCC clusters, few power phases, and a BIOS switch for just £200 right?

What's sad is that the Trio should have those features, else it's a waste of 3x8 but I digress, got a random card on launch; can't be too upset with it.

Can't remember on stock, think the lowest I undervolted was around 1920 @ 925mv.
Damn, that is better than I have been able to get, what settings was that at?

Best Port Royal I was able to get so far was at .975v 1995mhz. My average clocks are 120mhz lower than yours.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Do we have Boost analytics on Ampere cards? (that are stat sig. not just 1 random guy that plays at 2130MHz). I'd love to see p50s and p90s on boosting or max OC on air for a vast set of cards.

Thanks

·
Registered
225 Posts

STRIX 121/100
STRIX STOCK
TUFF - 117/100

Edit: managed to get up to 11333 points with the strix bios. but at a locked 0.9v and a power draw of 430-440w.
Going back to the original tuf bios as thats just silly.

Also anything at 1995 mhz or above is a guaranteed hard lock on my TUF.
You can increase the clock speed more with strix bios so it will acheive similar scores but not better strix bios is designed to pull around 125 watt of each 8 pin connector max and 70 watt from pcie slot wich is equall to 445 watt total so in your case you have only 2 x8pin connectors so is maxing @ 320 watt while the bios thinking is 445 watt because all the exiciting power sources are maxed ,using Tuff bios is designed to pull 370 max 150 watt x 2 from each power rail and 70 watt of the slot so maxed @ 370 watt =better scores.;)

2441 - 2460 of 2599 Posts