Overclock.net banner

2581 - 2600 of 3482 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
I'm confused.. Why am I busting my balls trying to get a 3080, that score is hardly any better than my 2080ti?

Am I missing something?

Well you got a very fast overclock on both your CPU & GPU. Looks like you got super lucky on your CPU & GPU with those clocks your hitting.

My 2080Ti won't clock higher than ~2065Mhz get driver crashes when it boosts much higher than that. Not to mention my 9900K is a serious dud for overclocking fastest I can manage is 4.9Ghz all-core to keep temps below 90C anyway. I can get it to 5Ghz but see temps in the mid-90C which is way too hot for me.

This is probably more typical of a 2080Ti score for most people:

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Well you got a very fast overclock on both your CPU & GPU. Looks like you got super lucky on your CPU & GPU with those clocks your hitting.

My 2080Ti won't clock higher than ~2065Mhz get driver crashes when it boosts much higher than that. Not to mention my 9900K is a serious dud for overclocking fastest I can manage is 4.9Ghz all-core to keep temps below 90C anyway. I can get it to 5Ghz but see temps in the mid-90C which is way too hot for me.

This is probably more typical of a 2080Ti score for most people:
I had similar results on the 2080ti until I water cooled it. They love being below 50c.

So possibly not worth an upgrade this gen then?
I'd be interested in seeing water cooled 370w results for the 3080 to see what the difference is then. I've got the upgrade itch!!

Yes very lucky with the 9900ks. EBay £350!! There was another on there at 5.6ghz finishing a day later. I think everyone was holding out for that!!

·
Registered
138 Posts
I had similar results on the 2080ti until I water cooled it. They love being below 50c.

So possibly not worth an upgrade this gen then?
I'd be interested in seeing water cooled 370w results for the 3080 to see what the difference is then. I've got the upgrade itch!!

Yes very lucky with the 9900ks. EBay £350!! There was another on there at 5.6ghz finishing a day later. I think everyone was holding out for that!!
Yah when I saw the temps listed in your 3dmark i knew you were on H2O. I've debated doing that but I've never touched water cooling outside of AIO coolers and it scares me. LOL

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Yah when I saw the temps listed in your 3dmark i knew you were on H2O. I've debated doing that but I've never touched water cooling outside of AIO coolers and it scares me. LOL
I originally was on a Kraken G12 with a 120mm with good results (Max 58C overclocked). The full custom loop has brought it down under 50C now and has allowed for higher locked clocks. Unfortunately my case is SFF so i'm restricted to a certain pool of 3080 cards due to the width of the card. I'm interested to see how the reference boards (which don't protrude past the IO bracket) perform against my current setup to gauge whether an upgrade is worth it. I bought a Zotac 3090 but got buyers remorse and cancelled when I saw the 10% difference at double cost.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Anyone with Gigabyte RTX 3080 Master (non Extreme), can you share your experience with the model?
just bought one as I couldn't snatch the TUF seems like a good card.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Just received my FTW3 Ultra, I installed EVGA Precision X and it prompted a firmware update, I accepted, my boost clock at 4k gaming stock is about 1950-1980Mhz, is that good? Also how can I know if I have already the best BIOS, the one with power limit 450W and stuff? For now should I stick with MSI AB 4.62? Also I noticed the voltage monitor/control is locked in MSI AB and doesn't work even if I set to enable it, while in EVGA Precision X is available, is it safe to increase it till 100 (it means 100mv just like the other cards and I assume it's safe, right)?

Thanks!

·
Booo
876 Posts
Just received my FTW3 Ultra, I installed EVGA Precision X and it prompted a firmware update, I accepted, my boost clock at 4k gaming stock is about 1950-1980Mhz, is that good? Also how can I know if I have already the best BIOS, the one with power limit 450W and stuff? For now should I stick with MSI AB 4.62? Also I noticed the voltage monitor/control is locked in MSI AB and doesn't work even if I set to enable it, while in EVGA Precision X is available, is it safe to increase it till 100 (it means 100mv just like the other cards and I assume it's safe, right)?

Thanks!
To get the 450W power limit BIOS, you'll need to install the beta BIOS linked on the EVGA forums. What comes pre-installed with the card isn't the high power limit version.

• Rep+
Reactions: ViTosS

·
High Clocker
3,628 Posts

Thanks!
Voltage slider isnt a mv anymore.
Its a percentage of the VF curve, But by default Nvidia boost will take the VF curve upto max allowed voltage anyway if temps and power allow so.
So the difference between 0 and 100 will be holding max voltage allowed in the bios for maybe 1 sec longer before temps and power limit drag the curve back down.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
To get the 450W power limit BIOS, you'll need to install the beta BIOS linked on the EVGA forums. What comes pre-installed with the card isn't the high power limit version.
Voltage slider isnt a mv anymore.
Its a percentage of the VF curve, But by default Nvidia boost will take the VF curve upto max allowed voltage anyway if temps and power allow so.
So the difference between 0 and 100 will be holding max voltage allowed in the bios for maybe 1 sec longer before temps and power limit drag the curve back down.
I see, but does that BIOS in EVGA forums can make the stock boost more solid? I mean, I see a lot of fluctuation in my boost, specially when OCed to 2050Mhz, it changes from 2025-2050 sometimes 2010Mhz without temperature changing, is that normal behavior?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Crysis 3 is the most sensitive game i have regarding GPU overclock. 0.9v/1950MHz was stable in every other game, including Control, but in Crysis 3 i had to lower the core frequency 2 notches down to 1920MHz to keep it from crashing to desktop.

·
Registered
2,680 Posts

·
Registered
336 Posts
I'm confused.. Why am I busting my balls trying to get a 3080, that score is hardly any better than my 2080ti?

Am I missing something?

Yeah, well, my CPU is a 3800x. Although well tuned and running 3800mhz CL16 memory, it still lags behind an OC’d 9900k. My 3080 score still hasn’t reached above 18k (getting close though, with +135 core and +550 on vram) which is what I’ve seen from other reviewers and users around and seems comparable. I can see the card trying to go higher though, and it’s limited by hard cap that won’t let it go past ~325watts. Maybe an 40watts in the budget would do the trick!

Still, I’m coming from a 1080ti so for me the perf uplift is very noticeable.

This is my Shadow of Tomb Raider score at 1440p ULTRA settings with RT OFF. That’s pretty good I believe.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Yeah, well, my CPU is a 3800x. Although well tuned and running 3800mhz CL16 memory, it still lags behind an OC’d 9900k. My 3080 score still hasn’t reached above 18k (getting close though, with +135 core and +550 on vram) which is what I’ve seen from other reviewers and users around and seems comparable. I can see the card trying to go higher though, and it’s limited by hard cap that won’t let it go past ~325watts. Maybe an 40watts in the budget would do the trick!

Still, I’m coming from a 1080ti so for me the perf uplift is very noticeable.

This is my Shadow of Tomb Raider score at 1440p ULTRA settings with RT OFF. That’s pretty good I believe.

With or without DLSS? Just asking

·
Registered
8 Posts
An Update to the ZOTAC RTX 3080 Amp Holo.

Maximum Power is 340W even with the 10% Power Limit, so that is why my Trinity can not get 340W above that.

I just talked to Zotac support and they said it is capped at 340W and the +10% Power Limit function does not work for the Amp Holo Cards.

·
Registered
235 Posts

·
Enthusiast
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,597
The "375W PL is Bs ,and others have the exact same issue when i search around.
The slider can go that high, the card refuses. And shows power limit 1 whenever it passes 345.

First page should be changed until someone actually proves it can do 375W.
No, because it's a temporary issue, they just need to release an updated BIOS. No idea when that might happen but it's fairly safe to say they'll get to it eventually.

·
Enthusiast
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #2,598
Yes, you are missing something: you are targeting the wrong card.
Coming from a 2080ti your path is 3090, not 3080.
And Ampere can bring you at least 30% better performance vs Turing:
https://www.3dmark.com/compare/spy/14835421/spy/15738613
Yes and no, it's actually 3080 Ti/SUPER, which is unreleased (to counter 6900 XT), and it'll feature 20GB (10GB each side) of memory, and increased CUDA Core count, basically 3090 "Light", meaning 3090 is the Titan (slight upgrade to Ti).

3080 is only 8-11% faster than 2080 Ti when compared overclocked to overclocked, hence 3080 is "barely" an upgrade. Sidegrade if anything since you get slightly higher RT performance and HDMI 2.1, that's about it, no one cares about going from 100 to 108 FPS for a few hundred $.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I own both and I've tested them on a 3600x. My 2080 Ti overclocks over 2100mhz and is power unlocked (XOC). When completely maxed out it scores within 5% of a completely barebones 3080. When I OC the 3080, even power limited, that goes up to roughly 12-15%. When my shunts get here, that will likely move to 20%. I'll be grabbing a 3090 in march if the 3080 ti isn't out yet.

** And yes, I'm testing in GPU limited scenarios such as Superposition 4k Optimized.

2581 - 2600 of 3482 Posts