Overclock.net banner

4301 - 4320 of 4348 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
When my XC3 was on stock air cooler (as we all know, it's total garbage), I got better score in 3DMark benchmarks with UV ant flat line. Now I tried making undervolted OC with custom curve, and also just pure +155 on core. Haven't done many custom curve benchmarks, but atm pure +155 gives best results, then flat UV, then custom curve.

But card is so Power limited... In PoE with max settings, but without Global Illumination, on 5120x1440 I have 120fps ant core clock sits in 2040-2085MHz range, but when I enable Global Illumination, insta 60fps, core clock below 1900MHz... So it feels like 0.1% and 1% in games will be same without OC, or with w/e OC I make, unless I shunt mod card. Avg and max is different story, but I don't care if I have 140fps, or 160fps AVG :/

·
Registered
2,783 Posts
When my XC3 was on stock air cooler (as we all know, it's total garbage), I got better score in 3DMark benchmarks with UV ant flat line. Now I tried making undervolted OC with custom curve, and also just pure +155 on core. Haven't done many custom curve benchmarks, but atm pure +155 gives best results, then flat UV, then custom curve.

But card is so Power limited... In PoE with max settings, but without Global Illumination, on 5120x1440 I have 120fps ant core clock sits in 2040-2085MHz range, but when I enable Global Illumination, insta 60fps, core clock below 1900MHz... So it feels like 0.1% and 1% in games will be same without OC, or with w/e OC I make, unless I shunt mod card. Avg and max is different story, but I don't care if I have 140fps, or 160fps AVG :/
What a coincidence, A few hours ago I was testing how PoE performs on a 3090 as a friend wanted to build a new rig that can give him the best performance in PoE with out overspending on the CPU.Global chat was about some one talking how they are getting 240fps on 5120x1440.

When I maxed out everything, I was shocked to see global illumination take up about 50% of the GPU power.

·
Registered
20 Posts
What a coincidence, A few hours ago I was testing how PoE performs on a 3090 as a friend wanted to build a new rig that can give him the best performance in PoE with out overspending on the CPU.Global chat was about some one talking how they are getting 240fps on 5120x1440.

When I maxed out everything, I was shocked to see global illumination take up about 50% of the GPU power.
I'm super new in PoE and spend in game like 1h or so, but from my experience, enough to lower Shadow + GI Quality to High and here we have 100fps+. I won't turn off GI, as it changes lighting so much and looks really cool.

GI on + Quality Ultra - 60fps, 317W and 1835MHz effective clock
GI on + Quality High - 110fps, 317W and 1930MHz effective clock
GI off + Quality High - 165fps, 317W and 2010MHz effective clock

My ****ty XC3 just don't want to go over 320W :mad:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Flash Gigabyte Gaming OC BIOS on it. It might behave better. XC3 BIOS worked fine on my Gaming OC so the other way around should also work fine I guess?

·
Registered
47 Posts
There is not GPU with more than 375W max TDP on 2x8 pin the 3080 right? A difference vs the 3090 where there is some at 400W with 2x8

·
Registered
20 Posts
Flash Gigabyte Gaming OC BIOS on it. It might behave better. XC3 BIOS worked fine on my Gaming OC so the other way around should also work fine I guess?
I have tried Asus TUF bios, same 320W with 110% power limit. But I might try Gigabyte one day :)

·
Registered
9 Posts
Water block options for EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING?

I am starting my research on water block options for the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA. Can the people that have gone that route for that card chime in and giver their opinion?

Thank you in advance,
RJR

·
Registered
20 Posts
Water block options for EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA GAMING?

I am starting my research on water block options for the EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 ULTRA. Can the people that have gone that route for that card chime in and giver their opinion?

Thank you in advance,
RJR
I'd go with Bykski. But just because of price. 100-120€ from aliexpress with backplate, temps maybe 1-2C higher than other blocks.
Other options 220€ for EK (170-175€ waterblock + 43-50€ for backplate), or Optimus 380$ (Idk if they sell in Europe).
=== EDIT
Or wait for Waterblock Heatkiller V, priceI guess will be about 220€ with backplate, but have no idea when they gonna release FTW3 block.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Did a remount of the block on mine (EVGA Hybrid FTW3 block on a Gigabyte Gaming OC) because I saw core temps at 54-55c and hotspot way way off at 70-72c indicating a pretty poor mount overall. I was correct, was a bit too little paste to fully cover the die. Put a slightly thicker line on it and increased the mounting pressure slightly by tightening the screws with springs a bit more then before and now it's core 50-51c with hotspot sitting around 63-64c. Still a pretty big difference but it also did this on the stock cooler so probably normal I guess? This is at +105 slamming the power limit at 345-350w the whole time and with not very high fanspeed on the radiator fans (~1150RPM). I'm happy with the Hybrid mod even tho it was like €170 shipped. Still cheaper then full cover and with it being as power limited as it is it won't ever see more load / temperature except for ambient changes. VRAM is at around 72-74c at +1400 as well so. Great temps there.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I'd go with Bykski. But just because of price. 100-120€ from aliexpress with backplate, temps maybe 1-2C higher than other blocks.
Other options 220€ for EK (170-175€ waterblock + 43-50€ for backplate), or Optimus 380$ (Idk if they sell in Europe).
=== EDIT
Or wait for Waterblock Heatkiller V, priceI guess will be about 220€ with backplate, but have no idea when they gonna release FTW3 block.
Heard that there have been many issues with FTW3 card dying after installing a EK water block?

Has anyone hear experienced their FTW3 dying after water block installation?

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
EKs block quality is the lowest of all the blocks this gen. I had EK blocks on my 980ti,1080ti and 2080ti which were all good quality so though the 3xxx series ones would be good as well but I was mistaken and will never buy EK again.

There XC3 block would of killed my card if I didnt notice that the backplate was touching bits and would of shorted out the card if I powered it up, Which a few people didnt notice on the EVGA forums and ended up with dead cards. Thats not the only problems tho.

VRM contact patches dont line up or make contact with the VRM ICs.
VRAM contact patches are half the vram width miss aligned.
Die Contact patch is massivly convex and only made contact with 2/3 of the die.

Contacting there support about it and responce was I could send it back for a partial refund and I had to use the shipping company of there choice or they wouldnt accept it back.
Shipping worked out at more then the cost of the block.
So basically.
Paid $280 for block and back plate, $40 for shipping from them to me, $90 on tax.
Then to return it. DHL which they required me to use to send it back. Wanted $399 for shipping since they dont exsist over here so it had to go though a courier forwarder to a DHL office over seas.
Then they would of given me a $120 refund.

I ended up making the block just work. But having paid that much you shouldnt have to go though machining work yourself.
CNC the VRAM and VRM contact patches off. Then make up copper shims to it in the correct places. Lap the die contact patch flat and mod the stand off height to make up the difference.
Double up nylon washers on the back plate to space it away from shorting bits. Then use 3mm thermal pads.

Took a bit of fluffing around to get a good mount tho. First mount had me at 58C during gaming. Took a few thou off the stand offs and dropped it to 50C. Took a few more thou off and its at 45C.
Could probably go a little further but I got over it so its just been running like this for last few months.

Havnt seen there FTW3 block but looking on the EVGA forums it isnt any better.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
How are the hotspot and VRAM temps after all that modding hehe. They any good now?

If I ever full cover my card, which I probably won't do it being a 2x8 pin and I wanna get a 3x8 pin first, I would go for a Bykski block.

·
High Clocker
3,672 Posts
Hotspot within 8C
Vram stays same temp as core, Should of mentioned this is on a 3090 as well.
I see in your sig that you have a Civic, If your looking for some tuning software for it my program is free youd just need to OBD1 swap it.

• Rep+
Reactions: Webster200x

·
Gaming Overclocker
2,031 Posts
Search it from TPU unofficial bios database.
I'm also interested, found this one only:

Unverified, should I give it a try?
Never flashed an unverified one :unsure:

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
I'm running an unverified but seemingly original Gigabyte ReBAR BIOS on my Gigabyte Gaming OC, runs fine and ReBAR works great.

·
Gaming Overclocker
2,031 Posts
I'm running an unverified but seemingly original Gigabyte ReBAR BIOS on my Gigabyte Gaming OC, runs fine and ReBAR works great.
Thanks already flashed it (the Suprim X), gonna try this ReBar right away with the ACV (y)

·
Gaming Overclocker
2,031 Posts
Got a 3 fps boost lol :LOL:

·
Registered
34 Posts
How do I sign up to this club?

I got an Asus Rog Strix 3080 last December. Been a great GPU so far. Have a stable overclock of 2105mhz, any higher it crashes.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Is it normal for GPU hotspot temps to be as much as 15c higher then actual core temps? I kinda question my mount a bit seeing that much deviation.. I use a EVGA Hybrid FTW3 waterblock on my card (not a EVGA card) and core sits around 50-51c and hotspot around 62-66c at +105 core (around 2055-2070Mhz).

4301 - 4320 of 4348 Posts