Overclock.net banner
5001 - 5020 of 5063 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Thank you, I've looked and searched and couldn't find anything even remotely as descriptive. I'll do this and see if it helps. Really cheeses me off because it's not like I'm a computer idiot. Been building custom pc's for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Thank you, I've looked and searched and couldn't find anything even remotely as descriptive. I'll do this and see if it helps. Really cheeses me off because it's not like I'm a computer idiot. Been building custom pc's for 30 years and this is the first time I've ever encountered anything like this.
I hope your FTW3 isn't one of the early batches with the power balancing issues :( that would be my bigger concern. My original 3080FTW3 from release died 2 months ago. Turned PC off one day, turned it on and the card said "yeet".

·
Registered
319 Posts
Well, went through and did it old school dos commands to update it. Rebooted no problems with the monitor plugged into the DP on the card. Unfortunately as soon as I went into device manager and enabled the card, it went from the horrible "safe mode looking screen" to the full screen...then promptly dropped the signal. So I know the card actually works, or at least will support video. Just no idea what the hell is going on otherwise. Used the precision X1 (didn't even know about that, always used MSI). It updated, but didn't make a damn bit of difference. Get the feeling it's going to be another very long wait for an RMA... At a loss for what to do next. Really hate to take it all back apart (liquids) to put the 1070 back in...but what the hell is the point in paying $1500 for a card that isn't going to work? The z390 board doesn't allow me to turn on/off onboard graphics, so the only way to disable the onboard is in windows itself. Which doesn't actually help any. Was trying to think of any possible settings either in the uefi or windows that would make a difference. The card is detected, but as soon as it's enabled flushes itself right down the ****ter. If you have any other ideas may as well try them. Will evga rma a card that I had to take apart to install the waterblock? Have all the parts still, just didn't want to find out I'm going to eat the cost of it on top of everything else. This day just keeps getting better and better.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
EVGA does not void warranty for removing the cooler, actually a big perk.

Your card should have dual BIOS if it's a FTW3. Shut the PC down, and flip the switch on the card to the other BIOS - you might go back to having the problem you had before (no signal until Windows boot) but should get you back into Windows. Please link what BIOS you used to flash the card as well.

You could also, if you have the space, install the 1070 in your lower PCIE slots to get signal in Windows to see what code the 3080 is throwing.

Could just be the NV driver flipped out when you re-enabled the card in device manager and she needs a clean out. Typically disabling the card in device manager will stop any driver issue from happening, but nothing is ever a guarantee when it comes to this ****.

·
Registered
319 Posts
No dual bios...it's the 3080ti XC3 ultra. Got the 3080ti bios at techpowerup, along with nvflash (maybe I got the wrong ones?) They do a blanket file that's supposed to cover so many models, but sometimes they don't. It's a possibility I guess. Is there a better place to get them? Maybe I need to do that, try somewhere else. Thought they were the latest bios, but just went in to search and can't even find the Ti now, just the 3080 blanket versions. Already cleaned out the nvidia driver before starting this whole mess. Even tried installing an older version at one point, just to see. Unfortunately it's vertically mounted, not horizontal. So adding the 1070 back in, even to test it would be a serious pia. At least it doesn't void the warranty if I end up having to ship this pos back. Just wish I could figure it out. 2 years of waiting, moved 900 miles and now this.

·
Registered
319 Posts
That's the one I have. We went and saw the royals play, so while out I took out the battery, unplugged, etc. Just to see if it would do anything when booting back up. Think I'm just screwed no matter how you look at it. Going to try to flash the bios one last time and then it just is what it is. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of somebody from evga and hope for the best. Really do appreciate the help, gave me some options I didn't think about. If something pops into your head, throw it up and I'll give it a shot. Or if by some freak chance I manage to get it all working... I'll post up what actually did it.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
That's the one I have. We went and saw the royals play, so while out I took out the battery, unplugged, etc. Just to see if it would do anything when booting back up. Think I'm just screwed no matter how you look at it. Going to try to flash the bios one last time and then it just is what it is. I'll have to see if I can get ahold of somebody from evga and hope for the best. Really do appreciate the help, gave me some options I didn't think about. If something pops into your head, throw it up and I'll give it a shot. Or if by some freak chance I manage to get it all working... I'll post up what actually did it.
Sorry brother, wish I had the answer for ya. Best of luck.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ya, I don't get it either. It flashes fine, reboots with the card (cable in the port). But as soon as I activate it in device manager, it will change the video setting and then crash shortly after. If I don't activate it, it works. Well, sort of considering the quality looks like something from the 80's. But ya, have no ideas anymore. Deactivate the card, flash the bios, reboot with the monitor plugged into the card and it's fine until that point of reactivating it. So ya, I got nothing at this point.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ya, I don't get it either. It flashes fine, reboots with the card (cable in the port). But as soon as I activate it in device manager, it will change the video setting and then crash shortly after. If I don't activate it, it works. Well, sort of considering the quality looks like something from the 80's. But ya, have no ideas anymore. Deactivate the card, flash the bios, reboot with the monitor plugged into the card and it's fine until that point of reactivating it. So ya, I got nothing at this point.
Have you tried flashing a different BIOS? There was a different XC3 BIOS on there from what I briefly seen.

****, at this point.. I'd try flashing an ASUS TUF BIOS to it. As long as it's a 2x8pin BIOS, you're good to play around.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Tried another one that was pretty close to the make/model. But didn't want to get too nuts. But ya, you're right, at this point may as well try what I can. But also want to make sure I don't brick it. Just too damn frustrated at this point. Either it's going to be an RMA, or the evga guys will send me a file that will magically fix it all. What I don't get is all i've read is that there are literally thousands of these cards all having the same issue...did somebody drop the ball just like the initial release? Why no direct fixes? The average computer user wouldn't have the foggiest idea where to even begin to fix this. At this point even I'm stumped and feel dumb as a rock as to what's causing the issue, or even how to fix it.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Ordered an 8k cable, but if that solves the issue, will my other monitors work then? Running an MSI ultra wide as the main @ 144hz, 32" led tv (hdmi to DP adapter) and a smaller screen (hdmi) that is used to show sensor points. I'll be a bit more pissed if they no longer work and the whole monitor setup is now worthless.
Computer Personal computer Furniture Table Computer desk

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Ordered an 8k cable, but if that solves the issue, will my other monitors work then? Running an MSI ultra wide as the main @ 144hz, 32" led tv (hdmi to DP adapter) and a smaller screen (hdmi) that is used to show sensor points. I'll be a bit more pissed if they no longer work and the whole monitor setup is now worthless. View attachment 2556766
If it turns out to be a cable issue, I'm going to apologize and also throw myself off a cliff for recommending you flash your GPU BIOS before something much more simple. LOL. I had no idea you were using multi-monitors. My suggestion in that case is always go down to one monitor plugged in without any adapters. I assume you did that for troubleshooting purposes?

Cute kitty btw!

·
Registered
319 Posts
lol Oh ya, I disconnected all of them but the main. The only time I tested any other monitor it was the LED tv @ 60hz and it was the only one connected. Just so I could try the hdmi port on the card. But at this stage it's a last ditch hail marry attempt at trying to get it to function correctly. But I don't have high hopes for it, think it's mostly because I know the EVGA tech will likely ask. You know like "did you turn it on/off, remove the battery, etc etc etc". I'm thinking odds are good unless he has some miracle secret fix, it'll be an RMA at this point. I did try other DP cables as well, but they were only 4k (1.2) and not the 8k (1.4). Apparently it's a potential issue? But like I said before, if that's the issue, then that means monitors across the country would be bricks at this point. How many people are running this card with a standard monitor?

·
Registered
603 Posts
lol Oh ya, I disconnected all of them but the main. The only time I tested any other monitor it was the LED tv @ 60hz and it was the only one connected. Just so I could try the hdmi port on the card. But at this stage it's a last ditch hail marry attempt at trying to get it to function correctly. But I don't have high hopes for it, think it's mostly because I know the EVGA tech will likely ask. You know like "did you turn it on/off, remove the battery, etc etc etc". I'm thinking odds are good unless he has some miracle secret fix, it'll be an RMA at this point. I did try other DP cables as well, but they were only 4k (1.2) and not the 8k (1.4). Apparently it's a potential issue? But like I said before, if that's the issue, then that means monitors across the country would be bricks at this point. How many people are running this card with a standard monitor?
Have you tried using a non-ultrawide screen as your main (e.g. a TV over HDMI)? Could just be a resolution switching issue.

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you read through the posts...yep. Even did an HDMI port attempt (low frequency refresh rate), since some posts thought that it may be a cause. Although I'd find that weirdly ironic since it's a card designed to do nothing BUT high end video. Went through and updated any non essential through windows, double checked all the drivers/bios for the motherboard, etc. Everything is current and up to date in reference to that. So at a loss currently.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Made some progress??? Okay, have been chasing this thing for days now. But, seem to have made some progress...I think. I can't get the main monitor to run on the DP on the card...but, somehow I've managed to get the other two monitors to run off of it. The 32" ledtv is on one of the DP ports for the card, the small heads up display is on the hdmi port on the card. BUT still can't get the main monitor to come up for longer than a minute before it goes blank and get the dreaded "dp no signal". It also crashes the other two monitors. Tried multiple combinations of turning off the motherboard gpu, etc. but doesn't seem to make a difference. I'm starting to wonder if there is something in relation to the frequency of the monitor or even the port characteristics (1.2 vs 1.4)? It's not much, but at least it's something. The 8k cable comes tomorrow so will swap it out first thing (likely while waiting on hold with EVGA). Maybe something in the card has an issue with detecting high refresh rates and tries to force it through the cable instead of altering itself to match what is there. But wouldn't more people have the same issues? Or why doesn't it seem to have a problem running a 32" led tv and a small 5x10" led? Both of which are running 60hz refresh rates and 1920x1080? There has to be an answer and really hoping that evga knows what it is....

·
Registered
319 Posts
Apparently not as much progress as I thought? Talked to an EVGA tech and described the whole situation and he thinks something is wrong with the board. So doing an RMA whether I want to or not. I have a new cable supposed to be here today, so will likely throw it on just for fun to see. But it wouldn't make sense if it did.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Apparently not as much progress as I thought? Talked to an EVGA tech and described the whole situation and he thinks something is wrong with the board. So doing an RMA whether I want to or not. I have a new cable supposed to be here today, so will likely throw it on just for fun to see. But it wouldn't make sense if it did.
Update: Cable didn't do anything. So it has to be something board related. The fact that two monitors function and the third won't leads me to believe there is something wrong with the bios/firmware, but even after updating it didn't change anything. So if anybody else has been following with the same issue, you'll likely have to RMA it. Going to be a little over a week (I paid the cover deposit) to get the new one, but the alternative is 3-4 weeks otherwise.

5001 - 5020 of 5063 Posts