Overclock.net banner

61 - 80 of 279 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
I think I'm going to wait until November to see what NV have up their sleeve in response to Big Navi, by then we will all have a better idea as to what is the best 3090 variant in regards to water-cooling (and cooling the top bank of VRAM) and overclocking in regards to power delivery.

Hell if I wait long enough, who knows, maybe NV will do a repeat of the Maxwell where they released the 80 Ti card only 4 months after the Titan (Titan: Nov 2013, 980 Ti: Feb, 2014)

I posted this over at EVGA forum:

AHowes said:
I'm sure one would have no problem selling said card for retail or more if they want to jump to another model later on. ;)
Even after NV release 20GB 3080 and 16GB 3070 variants within a quarter in response to Big Navi (who will have a 16GB card that will sit in between the 3070 and 3080 in rasterization @ $550 and 24GB card that will sit in between the 3080 and 3090 @ $1k? Remember the 1060? They sold 3GB and 6GB variants simultaneously and the 6GB variants had considerably higher resale value.

See the gaping chasm in price and performance between the 3080 and the 3090? Yeah, NGreedia have something up their sleeve for Big Navi, whether that will be a 20GB 3080 or 3080S is the question.

Everyone buying first wave ampere expecting them to be at the top of the stack and to hold value goes against what Nvdia has done with their product releases historically.

First wave refresh NEVER hold their value.

See:

RTX 2070

GTX 1080

GTX 1060

GTX 980

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
I was able to place a order for a ASUS TUF 3080 ON B&H a few days ago. The took the money out of the account so hopefully it holds and im in the first group of shipping!!
Really? I thought Nvidia told sellers they couldn't pre-sell or take reservations. When sites reported that they also included messages from sellers that were returning "deposits" to customers.

·
Registered
1,754 Posts
Really? I thought Nvidia told sellers they couldn't pre-sell or take reservations. When sites reported that they also included messages from sellers that were returning "deposits" to customers.
They pulled the money out on the 10th when i ordered and as of sunday night i have nothing from them about refunding me or anything. Unless I get shipping conformation by the time the cards are offically released im still gonna try and get one. worse case i end up with 2 and shouldnt have a problem getting rid of the one i dont want.
fr_4980_size880.jpg

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
I have a 1080 ti strix. And I'm moving to a 3080 strix. My only concern is that 10 gb vram. But I game at 1080p with high refresh rate and gsync. So I think for the next 3-4 years to come gaming at 1080p those 10gb will be enough for the 90% of games to come, gaming at 1080p not higher. But, there's a but, I remember in some later games my 1080 ti strix was loading about 8-9 vram, even almost 10gb vram at 1080p. So I'm concerned about those 10gb vram that 3080 has. I'm not waiting for a 3080 ti with 20% better horse power posibile, or with a 20 gb vram, I'm taking this one and that's it.
As for the price, I've seen that in Germany I think some of the 3080 models are having a price already, about 850 euros I think. Well that's not much, just yesterday I've reviewed my 2017 order with 1080 ti, from my local store here in romania and for that card I've paid almost the same price. So I'm hoping it will be the same for the 3080 strix, maybe a little expensive like tops +50-60 euros. All this with the Included tax and with the store's internal taxing. So it's OK, so I say... We will see.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,558 Posts
They pulled the money out on the 10th when i ordered and as of sunday night i have nothing from them about refunding me or anything. Unless I get shipping conformation by the time the cards are offically released im still gonna try and get one. worse case i end up with 2 and shouldnt have a problem getting rid of the one i dont want.
View attachment 2458834
B and H Photo has not cancelled my order, I ordered it around 5am Friday morning. But all holds disappeared on my credit card yesterday. Usually if I preorder or backorder which was the case with my X570i Strix board the credit had a hold until delivery. Currently the hold is gone altogether with no history which has me a little worried. Time will tell.

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts
Does anyone know the time and time zone the FE will go up for sale?
I never went reference before, but they keep getting better.

·
Old to Overclock.net
1,558 Posts
Just keep refreshing on the 17th, never trust a set time. Best Buy and Nvidia will have founders and chances are so will PNYs website (they have always in the past). Something to remember, people always go to the stores like newegg, amazon, etc and forget you can buy directly from PNY, Zotac, and even Dell.

·
Registered
105 Posts
The time is 6 a.m pacific I believe. It is 15.00 cet (norway/europe)

It is the same time for the next launch, the GeForce RTX 3070 will be available on October 15th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.

• Rep+
Reactions: rluker5

·
Booo
687 Posts

It is the same time for the next launch, the GeForce RTX 3070 will be available on October 15th at 6 a.m. Pacific Time.
Is that just the time for the FE, or also for the AIB cards?

·
Not a linux lobbyist
2,303 Posts

Thank you very much. Looks like I will be quietly disappearing at work at 8:00 :)

·
Registered
105 Posts
Thank you very much. Looks like I will be quietly disappearing at work at 8:00 :)
I have already taken half day off :D

This release will surely test some e-tailers systems..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Is that just the time for the FE, or also for the AIB cards?
From what I understand the sale time is same for all, I thin only the review embargo is different.

Anyone feel free to correct me if wrong.

·
PC Cannibal
10,188 Posts
If I could pre-order I would, but I'll be waiting till Dec or Jan to get one - hoping it truely is a fitting replacement for my 1080ti (has been one of the best cards I've been fortunate to have).

·
Registered
32 Posts
I pre-ordered 3080 strix (non OC) on the french amazon site... 817€ I hope they don't cancel my order

·
Enthusiast
212 Posts
Discussion Starter #75
Original post updated, now lists available and upcoming cards for the western market.

Personally leaning towards not getting a 3090, because it's just 20% faster, for more than twice the price, NVIDIA has never released a gaming card with worse price/performance ratio than this.

·
Booo
687 Posts

·
everywhere and nowhere
230 Posts
Original post updated, now lists available and upcoming cards for the western market.

Personally leaning towards not getting a 3090, because it's just 20% faster, for more than twice the price, NVIDIA has never released a gaming card with worse price/performance ratio than this.
My sentiment exactly. The RTX 3090 price is just too much, even after RTX 2080 Ti prices... I'm almost certain there will be RTX 3080 20GB, maybe Q1 2021 after micron releases higher density mem chips.

·
Still kinda lost
3,340 Posts
Any news on which are "Bin 2" and if we are getting higher wattage than 320?

·
Registered
777 Posts

True. On the other hand, it is the fastest card and $1500 isn't a crazy amount of money, especially in terms of "high-end things".
My sentiment exactly. The RTX 3090 price is just too much, even after RTX 2080 Ti prices... I'm almost certain there will be RTX 3080 20GB, maybe Q1 2021 after micron releases higher density mem chips.
It's clearly not a value-oriented card, and rarely do the top-end cards offer great value relative to the lower line models. Having said that, I see people regularly waste greater amounts of money on various things with less pay-off. If you're going to blow an extra $800, blowing it on these videocards isn't an awful idea for someone who considers themselves to be an enthusiast. The government was just handing out unemployment to a large amount of Americans, which paid significantly more than their job due to the extra $600/wk stipend. Just one week of that stipend covers most of the difference between the 3080 and 3090.

·
Village Idiot
2,367 Posts
True. On the other hand, it is the fastest card and $1500 isn't a crazy amount of money, especially in terms of "high-end things".
True, but when you consider that it costs $300 more than last generation's "fastest card", which cost $500 more than the "fastest card" the generation before that... It's rather expensive.

And 114% more expensive than a 3080 for (hopefully) ~20% more performance? That's REALLY bad no matter how you spin it.

If you're someone who has been dropping a grand or more on the Titan cards since 2013, then $1500 ain't no thang for you. Hell, compared to the Titan RTX at $2500, the 3090 is an absolute steal. But if the 3090 is indeed the spiritual successor to the "Titan" cards, then it's extremely weird that they dropped the Titan moniker while simultaneously dropping the price. They're not exactly marketing it as a "prosumer" or professional/non-gaming card either.

The government was just handing out unemployment to a large amount of Americans, which paid significantly more than their job due to the extra $600/wk stipend. Just one week of that stipend covers most of the difference between the 3080 and 3090.
So you're suggesting that folks who are now unfortunately unemployed due to "COVID-19" should buy a 3090 because the government is giving them money? Fantastic financial advice!

• Rep+
Reactions: ars92
61 - 80 of 279 Posts