Overclock.net banner

161 - 180 of 4094 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
FTW3 card has 380w stock power limit with upto 5% extra.

Seems like the highest so far but still not really making much use of the 3x 8 pin powers!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
FTW3 card has 380w stock power limit with upto 5% extra.

Seems like the highest so far but still not really making much use of the 3x 8 pin powers!
There's a custom power unlocked bios that may or may not get leaked. Currently on stock bios it's hitting 405W draw.

FTW3 has 420W power limit max confirmed on twitter by EVGA rep
I wish they'd state the power limit on the 3090. If they boost it by 20% to 500W for the extra 20% cores I'd be happy. :p

·
Enthusiast
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #164
MSI Livestream "MSI RTX 3080: The New Performance King" on September 17, 2020
This stream provides a closer look at the MSI GeForce RTX 3080 GAMING X TRIO model (and VENTUS).

Question: Why does the 350W power limit exist and will it be removed in the future?

Pieter: You can see what it's capable of doing now, but, ehm, will it be removed? I, I don't, eh, expect so, no, ehm, these cards are, are designed this way and as you can see, I mean even with a higher power cap, eh, like, eh, I'm, I'm not sure if it's completely used in the, eh, numbers that we saw, from, eh, I think the, the overclocked numbers, eh, I'm not sure if we can go back to the slide, but, it would be interesting to know but I, I don't think, that, you know, even if we put the, up, eh, if that would directly, give you more power and even if it did, eh, it would, you would, you would only be talking about a couple of percentages, ehm.
Peter: Yeah indeed.
Pieter: And, and, and the, the number of, the amount of power that would be used to achieve those extra percentages is disproportionate, so what you would get is a card that's going to get a lot hotter, and a lot louder, really fast, while giving you performance you are unlikely to notice, eh, performance increase you are unlikely to notice, so really you're looking at kind of like this, the, the, the apex, eh, situation here that these cards are already, tuned to, to, the, the optimum situation basically where we can still keep em cool, and they can still give you as much performance as, eh, as, eh, squeeze out of the card and out of the GPU, as you can get within these parameters, without really blowing the roof off in terms of power usage.
Peter: Yeah, it's also bit of a safety feature.
Pieter: Yes!
Peter: It's, if we do an unlimited slider, there's always somebody who set it to unlimited, and blows up his card, and then he's crying, so yeah.
Pieter: Then then, then the GPU dies.
Peter: Yeah.
Pieter: And that's not a good thing, we are not in the business of harming GPUs here.
Peter: No no no, we want the people be happy and play games.
Pieter: Eh, so they're saying 3 times 8 pin connectors are a waste? Ehm, interesting question!
Peter: Eh, not really, in theory, yes, maybe, eh, because, one eight pin power connector can do 150 watts, times two, and eh, like 66 watts 12V from the PCI Express slot.
Pieter: So you're up to..
Peter: 366, so, in theory you can do like, eh, two pin, eh, two power connectors.
Pieter: Eh, which our Ventus for example uses.
Peter: Yeah but that's not, it's not, eh, 340 watt cards, this is a 320 card, a bit more safety margin, but it's really difficult to balance all the power of all the connectors exactly, so you could say this pin can do exactly 150 watts and the other one 150 and the slot 66, it doesn't work that way, so it's more, eh, bit of a safety feature to not overload any cables, and not overload your PCI Express slot, I think in some tests I saw PCI Express slot only delivers about like, 50 watts?
Pieter: Something like that.
Peter: More through the cables, actually that's preferable, I think.
Pieter: Well most of the bulk will be drawn through the cables anyway and some very low GPUs, sometimes you will notice it will actually not have any of the six or eight pins, because the, the power draw of the GPU will then be, I don't know, somewhere under 60 for example, 60 watts or 50 watts, and then it can actually draw power from the motherboard from the PCIe slot, to, do the job.

____

Absolute insanity going on here. "Premium/Performance King" Gaming X Trio with a custom designed PCB featuring 16 possible power stages for the GPU and up to 525W power limit thanks to the 3x8-Pin connectors.. and what do they do? They equip it with 13 power stages for the GPU and a maximum power limit of.. 350..

Founders Edition
which is up to $150 cheaper, runs 15 power stages (2 more) for the GPU and a maximum power limit of 370 (20 higher)!

Even better, ASUS TUF OC was more than $100 less than Gaming X Trio in Scandinavia today on release day, and runs full 16 power stages for the GPU and a maximum power limit of 375W (which is max 2x8-Pin spec). On top of this incredible PCB, it has two additional features: Dual BIOS and an extra HDMI 2.1 connector, as a bonus it's 23mm shorter, nothing short of an amazing card!

So, Gaming X Trio, 13 power stages for the GPU, 350W max power limit, no Dual BIOS, one of the longest 3080s and all of it at a sweet premium price. How about.. no?

They did the exact same mistake on 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio, 330W maximum power limit on 2x8-Pin + 1x6-Pin (450W would be within spec).They simply had issues with every single one of their Ti cards, Lightning had a myriad of issues, Ventus cooler was awful, Duke also had a horribly low power limit (290) just like the Gaming X Trio, far under FE.

We also learned today, EVGA FTW3 Ultra comes with a 375W default and 420W maximum power limit (+12% slider), which also features 3x8-Pin connectors, even though it's not as much as we wanted (450-475), it's .. 70 Watt higher (20%) than Gaming X Trio, FTW3 Ultra is €899 on Caseking.de right now and Gaming X Trio is €839, 7% higher price but 20% higher power limit, also insanely stronger and cooler VRM with up to 19 power stages for the GPU. They're not even comparable.

Avoid MSI at all costs!

·
Registered
2,069 Posts
Absolute insanity going on here. "Premium/Performance King" Gaming X Trio with a custom designed PCB featuring 16 possible power stages for the GPU and up to 525W power limit thanks to the 3x8-Pin connectors.. and what do they do? They equip it with 13 power stages for the GPU and a maximum power limit of.. 350..

Founders Edition
which is up to $150 cheaper, runs 15 power stages (2 more) for the GPU and a maximum power limit of 370 (20 higher)!
Wow. I corrected someone in the 3090 thread for mentioning it had 15 or 16 power stages only because I assumed it absolutely had to be a mistake. Looking like a real garbage card. Literally 0 reason to buy it.

·
Enthusiast
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #167
Wow. I corrected someone in the 3090 thread for mentioning it had 15 or 16 power stages only because I assumed it absolutely had to be a mistake. Looking like a real garbage card. Literally 0 reason to buy it.
It's a complete joke, compare this garbage to the TUF OC below which is considerably cheaper..

TUF OC

Images from TechPowerUp Reviews

·
Registered
138 Posts
Even better, ASUS TUF OC was more than $100 less than Gaming X Trio in Scandinavia today on release day, and runs full 16 power stages for the GPU and a maximum power limit of 375W (which is max 2x8-Pin spec). On top of this incredible PCB, it has two additional features: Dual BIOS and an extra HDMI 2.1 connector, as a bonus it's 23mm shorter, nothing short of an amazing card!

Avoid MSI at all costs!
I think you mean the TUF OC has 20 power stages? :)

Also QQ, what max Watts (realistically speaking) you guys think we could unlock on the TUF? (w/ extra bios)

·
Village Idiot
2,428 Posts
what max Watts (realistically speaking) you guys think we could unlock on the TUF? (w/ extra bios)
No telling. We don't even know what BIOSes will be available, let alone cross-flashable.
But we already know the TUF can be shunt modded.

·
Registered
1,271 Posts
So far gist I get is avoid MSI

And asus tuf and gigabyte good

What about zotac? Anyone got any reveiws or info on there cards?

·
Registered
138 Posts
So far gist I get is avoid MSI

And asus tuf and gigabyte good

What about zotac? Anyone got any reveiws or info on there cards?
Historically speaking (1080 Ti, 2080 Ti) Zotac abuses of adding many power stages but of not really good quality, resulting in too much circuitry and no real extra performance. Their approach to this has lost me as a client.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
The e-tailer I bought my MSI from that couldn't ship it has Inno3D models (ichill x3 and x4) in stock now but for a massively inflated price of like €999-1029.

I sent them an email whether they wanna send me a x3 or x4 for the same price I bought the MSI Gaming X Trio.

Let's see what they say about that lol.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hello everybody,

I managed to preorder in Poland these 5x cards: So prices are different unfortunately (with shipment to PL).
I will return them of course because I can do that, but I bought all because I am perfectionist.
I wanted to buy Nvidia FE like almost all people but couldn't do that. Esspecialy I found out that FE is best with boost clock, avg fps, min fps, 1% low fps, which is insane. I don't know If i should still try to get one FE or give up and keep one of this 5 cards.

The price in my country for Founders Edition is 870$ (just to show you the difference compare to bellow custom cards I will have)

So I preorder this one:
1) RTX 3080 Asus TUF for 900$ (Poland...)
2) RTX 3080 Asus TUF OC for 928$
Both with 3 years warranty, good shop - (proshop) - I heard these are with good cooling system, but they are worst than FE if it comes to boost clock/overlock, unforunately...

Also Im not sure which one is better, as I can understand the version with OC is overlocked, but version without OC can be manualy overlocked (So i can safe my money?) - because for sure I will want to OC any card, so why should I pay for OC card. UNLESS the OC means better overclock potential.

Also does the Asus TUF has some good bracket to hold the gpu? Or its nicely done so you dont need any bracket? like msi gives u with the card?

3) RTX Gigabyte Eagle OC for 870$ - 3+1 years warranty - don't know nothing about this card yet, bought it only because of same price like FE and 4 years warranty

4) 2x RTX MSI VENTUS 3X OC for 870$ (two because from one shop I bought 1x card early and next day I found another shop with same card and with 3 years warranty)
Bought these because MSI adds free mount bracket to dont bend the PCI Slot - which is veryyyy nice. Also I like the design, compare to Gigabyte Eagle.

Of course I do not want overpay more than 900$ for like ROG, Extreme or Trio X. I just want decent card who will not break, with good oc potential like FE.

·
Registered
11 Posts
How did you manage to get 5 cards ..
I was prepared before 15:00 CET and pretty much just "preorder" them like all people here in our country.
The sooner I will get is ASUS TUF (version without OC) because the guy on the phone told me I was in the first 50 people who order this card, and then I also bought the OC version which I am in first 100 people who also order this card.
(Of course there are no shop who has these cards and they need to wait like 2 weeks to get them first, but if they get them they will ship them all to people - chronological)
There were only 20x cards who got already shipped to people, I was unlucky but still im happy im in first 50, at least. I have time now to think, watch benchmarks, etc.

These two Asus cards I will get probably the sooner.

The MSI and Gigabyte I found out on other sites as I mention, so these one I will pretty much get in 4-5 weeks maybe even later. But at least I will not need to wait for refill on nvidia site for FE cards.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Seems like people outside of the US and Canada faired much better. I don't really know of any places that are taking "pre-orders" like some of the shops are doing for you

·
Registered
11 Posts
Seems like people outside of the US and Canada faired much better. I don't really know of any places that are taking "pre-orders" like some of the shops are doing for you
For me its normal. I phone call to every shop and they pretty much told me that they have only 20 cards of each mark (like asus, msi, gigabyte) and If i will manage to be in first 20 the card is mine and I will get it in few days, but if not I still can buy it for pre-order (lowest) price but will need to wait a bit for refill, and the shipping to people will be chronological.

You can still try to buy some cards on polish sites but of course you need to know that you will be like 2000 in line.

Im playing at 240Hz /1080p so Im happy with my 1080ti but I wanted to do upgrade since few years (I skipped 20 series). :)

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
TUF OC 100%. Best PCB, best BIOS power limit and higher binned chip as it's factory overclocked.

·
Booo
924 Posts
TUF OC 100%. Best PCB, best BIOS power limit and higher binned chip as it's factory overclocked.
Factory OC has nothing to do with binning.

161 - 180 of 4094 Posts