Overclock.net banner
321 - 340 of 1268 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
Managed to get a ASUS 3080 Ti TUF at MSRP and yesterday I asked an update from Watercool, about the availability of Heatkiller blocks for these cards.
Considering that ASUS TUF-series Ampere cards is probably the most popular line-up of any Ampere cards, at least in Europe and that a single block design would fit three different SKUs (3080, 3080 Ti and 3090) and >= 6 variants, the answer was pretty disappointing: EVGA FTW3 is the only Ampere card yet to get a waterblock and their next blocks after that will be for the next gen. cards.

Considering that most of my other gear is made by Watercool and that the quality of the available blocks from the other manufacturers suck even more than usual, it is pretty disappointing again :(

·
Old crazy guy
3,519 Posts
Considering that most of my other gear is made by Watercool and that the quality of the available blocks from the other manufacturers suck even more than usual, it is pretty disappointing again
Yes it's kind of disappointing but also understandable.
I think they are a rather small company. Plus they don't make "cheap" products.
The GPU blocks have a short life and becomes quickly a huge loss when unsold. Which happens very frequently.

Even with the scary quality issues I think I'll stick with the EK blocks as the alternatives are more disappointing.

·
Registered
789 Posts
Managed to get a ASUS 3080 Ti TUF at MSRP and yesterday I asked an update from Watercool, about the availability of Heatkiller blocks for these cards.
Considering that ASUS TUF-series Ampere cards is probably the most popular line-up of any Ampere cards, at least in Europe and that a single block design would fit three different SKUs (3080, 3080 Ti and 3090) and >= 6 variants, the answer was pretty disappointing: EVGA FTW3 is the only Ampere card yet to get a waterblock and their next blocks after that will be for the next gen. cards.

Considering that most of my other gear is made by Watercool and that the quality of the available blocks from the other manufacturers suck even more than usual, it is pretty disappointing again :(
As much as I hate EK, I have an EK block on my 3080TI STRIX due to lack of options, and I'm very happy with it. I had extremely low expectations for the block, but it's done much better than I hoped. Optimus is also making a STRIX block, but the turn-around is pretty ridiculous (imo), so that ruled them out for me. If you can wait two months, then you could order one of those. Optimus might take forever, but the quality is definitely there.

·
Premium Member
2,766 Posts
As much as I hate EK, I have an EK block on my 3080TI STRIX due to lack of options, and I'm very happy with it. I had extremely low expectations for the block, but it's done much better than I hoped. Optimus is also making a STRIX block, but the turn-around is pretty ridiculous (imo), so that ruled them out for me. If you can wait two months, then you could order one of those. Optimus might take forever, but the quality is definitely there.
Yeah, EK will probably be the only real choice :(

I sent email to Aquacomputer earlier today as well however, I'm not optimistic that they'd be interested either.

TUF and Strix cards have an entirely different PCB unfortunately, so there are even less blocks to choose from.

·
Registered
1,710 Posts
so is there any way to make ftw3 work like it should (like strix or msi i think) with shunt or galax bios and not to be worried about fuses on 2 pins ? I suppose bypassing fuses is the only option here
btw here is my result with stock bios I scored 14 822 in Port Royal galax bios with 45% pl don't make card draw more than 400-420 watts for some reason
What do you mean? Yzonker's research has proven that we can't rely on software to see power draw. These cards are drawing the 450W+.

Or do you mean getting a fix for the sensors to be more accurate?

·
Registered
616 Posts
so is there any way to make ftw3 work like it should (like strix or msi i think) with shunt or galax bios and not to be worried about fuses on 2 pins ? I suppose bypassing fuses is the only option here
btw here is my result with stock bios I scored 14 822 in Port Royal galax bios with 45% pl don't make card draw more than 400-420 watts for some reason
How did you read the card power draw? The Galax bios will report 400-450w with the PL set to 45%. But the 1st and 3rd 8pins read low so your true power draw is 500w or more based on the measurements I took.

At 45%,my card will stay at 1093mv for the entire PR run. Although it will still drop down in voltage in the 2nd part of Time Spy Extreme because of the higher load of running in 4k.

There's no way to change the power balance. I don't think the bios can even change that. It's determined at the hardware (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong please). This is why EVGA has been RMAing 3090s that draw too much power on the slot. Otherwise they'd just update the bios.

But yea, worst case is you blow a fuse and have to replace it or bypass it. It must not blow too easily as I'm pretty sure I went over 20amps once by accident before I went and got the clamp meter. (in part by not realizing 8 pin #2 pulls more power than is reported by the card). Doh. Always good to have some dumb luck. Lol.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Yesterday I finally got the pny 3080ti XLR8 REVEL (350w and reference boost clock of 1665 mhz).
First run at stock setting has given me a Graphics Score of 18 745
I raised the power target to 104% (max), + 200 on core and + 400 on memory and the score went up to 19690 (nice)
I also tried an hour and a half of ac valhalla and seems stable

·
Registered
10 Posts
What do you mean? Yzonker's research has proven that we can't rely on software to see power draw. These cards are drawing the 450W+.

Or do you mean getting a fix for the sensors to be more accurate?
i didn't see post where Yzonker figured out that 2 pins are duplicated, so i thought galax bios didn't work
How did you read the card power draw? The Galax bios will report 400-450w with the PL set to 45%. But the 1st and 3rd 8pins read low so your true power draw is 500w or more based on the measurements I took.

At 45%,my card will stay at 1093mv for the entire PR run. Although it will still drop down in voltage in the 2nd part of Time Spy Extreme because of the higher load of running in 4k.

There's no way to change the power balance. I don't think the bios can even change that. It's determined at the hardware (I think, someone correct me if I'm wrong please). This is why EVGA has been RMAing 3090s that draw too much power on the slot. Otherwise they'd just update the bios.

But yea, worst case is you blow a fuse and have to replace it or bypass it. It must not blow too easily as I'm pretty sure I went over 20amps once by accident before I went and got the clamp meter. (in part by not realizing 8 pin #2 pulls more power than is reported by the card). Doh. Always good to have some dumb luck. Lol.
thank you for your research on point ftw3+galax bios:)(y)
it would be great if someone measured real power draw on 8pin with another vendor cards

·
Registered
3 Posts
I recently took delivery of a Aorus Master, and I must say it's pretty spectacular on air. It does seem to push around 450w, but it hovers more in the 440w range and peaks at 455w (then drops)

I didn't even run OC scanner, just added 1.2ghz to the memory and 100 to the core and set fan profile to 100% (and of course power slider to 112%)

But my 24/7 mode is only +50 core, + 500 memory, custom fan profile and 100 power slider. This was just to test the waters basically.

This will be my settings for the next 2 years.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Hy bro ! i have that one. I make a video about this card (unboxing + noise + temeperature +clock speeds with all settings default) . it's realy not a full review, and i just a noob with this. I tested card in DOOM with RT, and in Apex Legends (4k resolution for both games). If you have good monitor (2k-4k), you can see msi afteberner OSD report, you need good monitor cos i using russian speach. Asus tuf 3080ti non oc Hope, my video help you... Guys, have any one ASUS TUF 3080ti OC version ? Can u share yore bios ? i can't find this nowhere ((
I got my Asus Tuf 3080 Ti yesterday. The fan profile seems super aggressive, and it gets very loud. I clicked over to the "quiet" bios, and it seemed to be no different! What's the point? The quiet setting just ran slightly slower but was just as loud. In either setting, it ramps up the fan very fast when you get beyond 60C.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I got my Asus Tuf 3080 Ti yesterday. The fan profile seems super aggressive, and it gets very loud. I clicked over to the "quiet" bios, and it seemed to be no different! What's the point? The quiet setting just ran slightly slower but was just as loud. In either setting, it ramps up the fan very fast when you get beyond 60C.
My card working in quiet bios properly and mutch quieter, about 1400-1500 rpm, but temperature rising till 77-80 (30c ambient). May be you need to try turn & off one more time bois switch ?

·
Registered
499 Posts
My card working in quiet bios properly and mutch quieter, about 1400-1500 rpm, but temperature rising till 77-80 (30c ambient). May be you need to try turn & off one more time bois switch ?
Okay, that sounds like what I would expect with the quiet Bios. I'll try again tonight. Thanks for confirming.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Turn off Fast boot in mb bios too beforehand

·
Registered
3,353 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Yep guys, i think you right. I fogot about hardware LHR in 3080ti gpu... :cautious: What you think about flashing Asus TUF 3080ti with bios from FE 3080ti, TUF target 350 limit 375, FE target 350 limit 400. It will be work or brick?

·
Registered
3,353 Posts
Yep guys, i think you right. I fogot about hardware LHR in 3080ti gpu... :cautious: What you think about flashing Asus TUF 3080ti with bios from FE 3080ti, TUF target 350 limit 375, FE target 350 limit 400. It will be work or brick?
Flash 3080ti strix oc bios, if you want better performance. IF the gpu is cool enough. If not, leave it ;)

·
Registered
1,470 Posts

Been waiting for their FTW3 block since they announced it in October (3080, now I have a Ti). I'm so sick of waiting I'm just going to throw in a Barrow block from Formulamod with my fittings order. Should have done that a long time ago SMH.

Apparently they have gone through several redesigns for all their Ampere blocks. I advocated they went with EVGA for this gen since early on it seemed like they had the best availability. In hindsight Asus is a safer bet overall. Reference/FE, TUF, Strix would probably cover a bigger market globally. Hopefully the PCB designs are most standardized next gen.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Turn off Fast boot in mb bios too beforehand
It took a couple of reboots with Fast Boot disabled, but it's working now. What a difference! I don't mind cranking the fans for benching, but I like my quiet mode for gaming :)

321 - 340 of 1268 Posts