Overclock.net banner
381 - 400 of 424 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Are you sure that reference pcb will hold 550W? I would probably stay below 35%.
And is Galxa 1000W bios will work without the problem on 2xPCIE cards?
Maybe FE bios will work. 400W is better than stock.
No I'm not sure. That's why I'm afraid to try that bios haha.

As it stands I'm at 66 fps in Port Royal, and the very Best score with any 3080 Ti and 5900x is just 2 fps better at 68 fps. So there's. not much actual performance left on the table.

I'm pretty happy with where the card is at, with Port Royal scores over 14000 and my Average core clock around 2040mhz on air.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11 Posts
@gamerMwM
I flashed back to SUPRIM bios and stay on this bios.
FYI I have a full cover waterblock from ekwb on my msi gaming trio x and max temps were at 55 C at gaming.
Probably a good choice.

Can you post a link to that EK WB? I think I'm eventually going to get bored and build a custom loop and get a water block for this card, if I can't find a unicorn Asus Strix 3080 Ti Lc to purchase somewhere.

·
Registered
3,191 Posts
Here's the results for my FTW3 and Galax XOC. It may appear confusing. The issue is the 1st and 3rd 8pin power is duplicated (exact same # all the time) and low, particularly for #1. So setting a PL of 40 is right at a true 500w. Definitely need to test with the meter for this one. LOL

Using a PL of 45 is probably the absolute highest you would want to go as it's about 18 amps on 8pin #2. And I can't recommend anyone do this without at least checking the power on 8pin #2 with a meter. Although the reading in GPUZ appears to be close, but a slightly low. So you might be able to do that.

The good news is that most benchmarks/games will hit the stock 1068mv voltage limit before 550w. So there's some safety there, although there are some that might exceed that. 600w is probably right at 20amps on #2 (nope didn't test that). Balance seems to remains the same except PCIE appears to pick up 20w or so. I would think that reading was wrong except my UPS readings are just too close to make me think it is. UPS estimate was done by recording the idle power reading, subracting out the GPU idle power, and then subtracting that value from the reading and factoring it by 0.88 for efficiency of my PSU.

UPS power = [(Total power) - (idle power) + (gpu idle power)]*0.88

Galax XOC
40 PLwattsampsGPUZUPS Final
UPS (raw)640
8pin #1144.83712.174.8
8pin #2192.71716.1181
8pin #389.17657.4574.8
PCIE72.872.8
45 PL
UPS (raw)689
8pin #1160.39813.484.5
8pin #2213.06617.8204.8
8pin #399.3518.384.5
PCIE82.482.4
Where is the gamingtests/benchmarks?

·
Registered
347 Posts
Are you sure that reference pcb will hold 550W? I would probably stay below 35%.
And is Galxa 1000W bios will work without the problem on 2xPCIE cards?
Maybe FE bios will work. 400W is better than stock.
I don't remember which card they had, but someone reported the Galax XOC didn't increase the PL of their 2x8pin card. Kinda makes sense actually. The Galax 3090 xoc didn't work on my Zotac 3090 trinity either. They don't open up the limits as much as the KP XOC bios apparently.

FE bios isn't compatible, at least on 3090s. Bricks the card from what I've read.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Can you check your gpu BIOS version with GPU-Z? Mine is on 94.02.71.00.57 for the "performance" BIOS switch position.
Yeah its the same bios. What benches are you using so i can use the same? What is your benchmarkscore so i can have a reference. Coolling is fine. I have tried it with open case too and 100% fanspeed

·
Registered
475 Posts
Yeah its the same bios. What benches are you using so i can use the same? What is your benchmarkscore so i can have a reference. Coolling is fine. I have tried it with open case too and 100% fanspeed
Here's a couple of runs with firestrike extreme and TimeSpy.

Default (I think?) settings

Bumped up fan speed and slight overclock & voltage tuning

You can compare against others with the same hardware here:

My scores land right around the median and average values for 3080 ti + 9900k. Since I'm on air with only 2 power connectors, that seems reasonable.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Has anyone got any experience with the MSI 3080Ti Ventus model? I can't find any reviews online. Has it got the same cooler as the 3080 or the 3090 model? If any can point me in the right direction or share their experiences with this card that'd be great.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
No I'm not sure. That's why I'm afraid to try that bios haha.

As it stands I'm at 66 fps in Port Royal, and the very Best score with any 3080 Ti and 5900x is just 2 fps better at 68 fps. So there's. not much actual performance left on the table.

I'm pretty happy with where the card is at, with Port Royal scores over 14000 and my Average core clock around 2040mhz on air.

YOU'RE NOT HAPPY YOU LITTLE SCRUB! My port royal score destroys yours by 1 FPS! GET ON MY LEVEL!

JK. It's really funny when we focus on the score. 14850 sounds like a lot more than 14650 when we blur out the 14 and only see the last 3 digits. Then you look at the FPS difference and it's like 1 or 2 frames... You couldn't even tell the difference if someone had a gun to your head.

• Rep+
Reactions: gamerMwM

·
Registered
11 Posts
YOU'RE NOT HAPPY YOU LITTLE SCRUB! My port royal score destroys yours by 1 FPS! GET ON MY LEVEL!

JK. It's really funny when we focus on the score. 14850 sounds like a lot more than 14650 when we blur out the 14 and only see the last 3 digits. Then you look at the FPS difference and it's like 1 or 2 frames... You couldn't even tell the difference if someone had a gun to your head.
Haha yeah it's funny but I get it. It's more of a tinkerer thing, or hobbyist thing than anything else.

When you look at the numbers it shows. This is almost apples to oranges, but my 3080 Ti's 66 FPS in Port Royal is only 5 FPS away from the performance of the #10 spot out of all 3090 scores with a 5900x (not including SLI scores).

The #10 Port Royal score is sitting at 71 fps when you look at the Detailed Score. The number one 3090 spot is sitting at 72 fps (with 5900x and one GPU).

So out of all the top tier cards, if you can OC yours to a score like 14000 in Port Royal...you're going to be within 5 to 8 fps of the very best Nvidia cards.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Haha yeah it's funny but I get it. It's more of a tinkerer thing, or hobbyist thing than anything else.

When you look at the numbers it shows. This is almost apples to oranges, but my 3080 Ti's 66 FPS in Port Royal is only 5 FPS away from the performance of the #10 spot out of all 3090 scores with a 5900x (not including SLI scores).

The #10 Port Royal score is sitting at 71 fps when you look at the Detailed Score. The number one 3090 spot is sitting at 72 fps (with 5900x and one GPU).

So out of all the top tier cards, if you can OC yours to a score like 14000 in Port Royal...you're going to be within 5 to 8 fps of the very best Nvidia cards.

If I was motivated enough, a portable AC blowing into my case + Using the Galax bios for 500W draw would probably help us crack that top 10, maybe even top 5.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Sometimes I can't believe my luck.

Been in the EVGA queue for half a dozen 3080Ti models since they went up - and I'm probably not that close on any of them given the timestamp - so I just accepted waiting. Happened to check ebay late last night, found a brand new listing for an unopened EVGA FTW3 Ultra Hydrocopper - my 1st preference of the 3080Ti models - and it's located 20 mins away. Seller bought it directly from EVGA but doesn't have a custom loop; obviously entered the queue to scalp.

Now, I will say that out of principle I avoid scalpers. I have never purchased from one. However, the price to me is important and in this case - to my surprise - they accepted $1750 cash (so they can avoid ebay seller fees and shipping). If a scalper isn't making much I'm not that concerned. If I were to buy the card from EVGA, with taxes and shipping, I'd probably be paying a bit over $1600? So this ends up being only $100-something over MSRP and I get my dream card many-months in advance. Worth it.

I'm pumped .This is my first Hydrocopper but not my first EVGA on water - current is a 2080Ti XC gaming with EK block, backplate which has been an absolute monster.

Going into a new build with a 10850K. Can't wait to put it through the paces.
Update: I meet the seller at a local police station and he hands me the card. I pay him. Everything went great!

No it didn't. I pull it out of the box to take a pic before I leave and notice it's not a FTW3 Ultra HC but a XC3 HC. Having read about these cards on the EVGA forums - poor performance and sometimes lower than a FE - I don't want it and I sure as f**k don't want it for $1750.

The person apologized, came back, took it and sent me my money back. No harm no foul. Back to scouring eBay for an exceptional deal or just waiting it out...

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
Update: I meet the seller at a local police station and he hands me the card. I pay him. Everything went great!

No it didn't. I pull it out of the box to take a pic before I leave and notice it's not a FTW3 Ultra HC but a XC3 HC. Having read about these cards on the EVGA forums - poor performance and sometimes lower than a FE - I don't want it and I sure as f**k don't want it for $1750.

The person apologized, came back, took it and sent me my money back. No harm no foul. Back to scouring eBay for an exceptional deal or just waiting it out...
Where I live, the cards that come with a waterblock sell for close to MSRP because no one wants them. Not a lot of people custom watercool.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I don't remember which card they had, but someone reported the Galax XOC didn't increase the PL of their 2x8pin card. Kinda makes sense actually. The Galax 3090 xoc didn't work on my Zotac 3090 trinity either. They don't open up the limits as much as the KP XOC bios apparently.

FE bios isn't compatible, at least on 3090s. Bricks the card from what I've read.
But at least it did not brick your Zotac. Zotac uses the same PWM controller 8-Phase uP9511R as the my reference KF2.
So which bios would you recommend for my KF2 which have a chance not to brick the card?
The best would be this kind of bios: GALAX RTX 3090 VBIOS
Target 350W with 1000W limit.
And why my +9% limit does not change anything?

·
Registered
347 Posts
But at least it did not brick your Zotac. Zotac uses the same PWM controller 8-Phase uP9511R as the my reference KF2.
So which bios would you recommend for my KF2 which have a chance not to brick the card?
The best would be this kind of bios: GALAX RTX 3090 VBIOS
Target 350W with 1000W limit.
Are you talking about a 3080Ti or 3090? Generally none of the bios from the same core family (3080ti, 3090,, etc...) will not brick the card. Only exception is the FE cards which are not compatible with anything from what I've seen.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Are you talking about a 3080Ti or 3090? Generally none of the bios from the same core family (3080ti, 3090,, etc...) will not brick the card. Only exception is the FE cards which are not compatible with anything from what I've seen.
3080Ti but I was referring to the power target. It would be nice to have 3080Ti w with power target of 350W and limit 1000W. Much safer than the 1000W target from the boot.

·
Registered
347 Posts
3080Ti but I was referring to the power target. It would be nice to have 3080Ti w with power target of 350W and limit 1000W. Much safer than the 1000W target from the boot.
Doesn't exist to my knowledge. The bios you found is modded and won't flash with NVFlash.

Seems like most of the 2x8pin 3080ti don't reach the power limit very well. At least it's not indicated in GPUZ. The highest 3080ti 2x8pin bios I've seen is the Zotac 385w. Might or might not actually give you more power. Won't brick though. I've even had it flashed on my FTW3 to see if I could trick it into pulling more power. No success but not bricked either.

·
Super Noob
1,777 Posts
Doesn't exist to my knowledge. The bios you found is modded and won't flash with NVFlash.

Seems like most of the 2x8pin 3080ti don't reach the power limit very well. At least it's not indicated in GPUZ. The highest 3080ti 2x8pin bios I've seen is the Zotac 385w. Might or might not actually give you more power. Won't brick though. I've even had it flashed on my FTW3 to see if I could trick it into pulling more power. No success but not bricked either.
I think checking out TDP Normalized in HWinfo might paint a better picture as to why power limits aren't being hit. Also I find it is very load dependent, It like Nvidia leaves overhead for RTX workloads and never takes from that pool in Rasterized work.

·
Registered
12 Posts

I tested my card again this time on water. At stock get 55°C on the core and max 60°C on the memory. And once again 350W. Extra power limit does nothing. HWinfo, GPU-Z, MSI Afterburner always shows TDP ~99% and always 350W. What point is to give 109% PL it is not working. There is another discussion on this forum with the same conclusion. No extra power.
It looks like the drivers wont allow for more power. My current drivers: 471.41. Maybe older drivers will work?

KF2 should have 380W. Zotac 385W. But nether of it will reach its limit.
Can anyone confirm that any 3080Ti 2x8 pin cards will reach their PL? If so, what brand, vbios and drivers?

·
Registered
97 Posts

Got lucky with a 3080 Ti FTW3 a couple of weeks ago. After many recommendations on this forum, I added an EVGA Hybrid kit shortly after, changed out the 2 Fans to Noctua A12x25 PWM's (which shaved off about 10c considering I can run full speed with barely any sounds). Also ended up getting a new power supply. Old one was shutting down around 750w load, lol.

I'm able to achieve 1920mhz @ .875 fully stable (undervolted). Was playing Control and Cyberpunk for hours with no issue. I originally tried .850 but was crashed after a while. Temps are between 43-45c Max

Anyone undervolting at higher clocks have a good starting point for me to test with? I'd like to try 2000+ Mhz and see what I can do voltage wise. Stock voltage is way too high.

381 - 400 of 424 Posts