Overclock.net banner
401 - 420 of 1194 Posts

·
FOCAL ARIA FTW
9,445 Posts
One step closer to posting some benches with mine :).

·
Registered
29 Posts
View attachment 2518369

Got lucky with a 3080 Ti FTW3 a couple of weeks ago. After many recommendations on this forum, I added an EVGA Hybrid kit shortly after, changed out the 2 Fans to Noctua A12x25 PWM's (which shaved off about 10c considering I can run full speed with barely any sounds). Also ended up getting a new power supply. Old one was shutting down around 750w load, lol.

I'm able to achieve 1920mhz @ .875 fully stable (undervolted). Was playing Control and Cyberpunk for hours with no issue. I originally tried .850 but was crashed after a while. Temps are between 43-45c Max

Anyone undervolting at higher clocks have a good starting point for me to test with? I'd like to try 2000+ Mhz and see what I can do voltage wise. Stock voltage is way too high.
I would start from this:
My 3080ti is behaving just like his 3090. The same voltage at the same freq.

·
Super Noob
1,783 Posts
View attachment 2518369

Got lucky with a 3080 Ti FTW3 a couple of weeks ago. After many recommendations on this forum, I added an EVGA Hybrid kit shortly after, changed out the 2 Fans to Noctua A12x25 PWM's (which shaved off about 10c considering I can run full speed with barely any sounds). Also ended up getting a new power supply. Old one was shutting down around 750w load, lol.

I'm able to achieve 1920mhz @ .875 fully stable (undervolted). Was playing Control and Cyberpunk for hours with no issue. I originally tried .850 but was crashed after a while. Temps are between 43-45c Max

Anyone undervolting at higher clocks have a good starting point for me to test with? I'd like to try 2000+ Mhz and see what I can do voltage wise. Stock voltage is way too high.
I have been playing around with undervolting to maximize my overclocks. Mine did the same as your at 875mv, 975mv would do 2025mhz during metro exodus ee bench for stability. Want to tinker with it more but haven't had the time. I did have 2115mhz during bf4 @ 1.05v but crashed after 45min. Still on the stock cooler with an ftw3.

• Rep+
Reactions: bigblueshock

·
Registered
99 Posts
Thanks! This is a great starting point and input. Wish I had time too, lol. It’s amazing how many watts and how much heat you can shave off by undervolting.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Okay I'm sitting with an RTX 3080 Ti you won't get in the USA from what I understand. The Palit Gamerock OC. Now I have used Palit on various occasions without an issue. Their build quality it not too bad and the card performs as it should. I did however have the problem with my RTX 3080 GamingPro OC where the added 30watt power limit does not really do much, like you still lose clock speed when it goes above 320watt.

Now with this RTX 3080 Ti Gamerock OC with stock 400watt power limit able to go up to 440watt, you continue to lose clock speed the moment it gets close to 400watt no matter the 440watt slider set.

The only way I may be able to get more from this would be to put conductive paint over the set resistors but getting that paint or gel here in South Africa might prove to be an issue, although I have seen some but not sure if it would be good. I have tried other bioses with 3 PCIe power connectors but the Palit seem the best.

You can cleary see when looking at the Max vs Average clocks that the card is losing a lot of performance.

My results thus far are as follow. Port Royal is really bad due to clock speeds it seem.

·
Registered
828 Posts
Update: I meet the seller at a local police station and he hands me the card. I pay him. Everything went great!

No it didn't. I pull it out of the box to take a pic before I leave and notice it's not a FTW3 Ultra HC but a XC3 HC. Having read about these cards on the EVGA forums - poor performance and sometimes lower than a FE - I don't want it and I sure as f**k don't want it for $1750.

The person apologized, came back, took it and sent me my money back. No harm no foul. Back to scouring eBay for an exceptional deal or just waiting it out...
Second update: happened to check Craigfslist randomly and found a brand new, local listing for a sealed FTW3 Ultra, haggled for $1550 cash. While not a HC I've blocked EVGA cards before and will be going on an EK block and backplate, then the active backplate when it ships

Despite violating my scalper rule this is so close to MSRP I'm ok with it

• Rep+
Reactions: bscool

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
Okay I'm sitting with an RTX 3080 Ti you won't get in the USA from what I understand. The Palit Gamerock OC. Now I have used Palit on various occasions without an issue. Their build quality it not too bad and the card performs as it should. I did however have the problem with my RTX 3080 GamingPro OC where the added 30watt power limit does not really do much, like you still lose clock speed when it goes above 320watt.

Now with this RTX 3080 Ti Gamerock OC with stock 400watt power limit able to go up to 440watt, you continue to lose clock speed the moment it gets close to 400watt no matter the 440watt slider set.

The only way I may be able to get more from this would be to put conductive paint over the set resistors but getting that paint or gel here in South Africa might prove to be an issue, although I have seen some but not sure if it would be good. I have tried other bioses with 3 PCIe power connectors but the Palit seem the best.

You can cleary see when looking at the Max vs Average clocks that the card is losing a lot of performance.

My results thus far are as follow. Port Royal is really bad due to clock speeds it seem.

Welcome to the club. All 3080 Ti's have this type of behavior, the slider does nothing. They'll float around 400W and sometimes spike at 440-450W, you'll see this more if you set your polling rate in GPU-Z lower in time.

One user here has measured his card using external means with hardware and found that the card pulls more watts than GPU-Z reports.

Why are 3080 Ti's not showing or maxing out around their max TDPs like other cards do? No one knows. But just know the behavior that you are seeing also happens to the EVGA FTW3, Suprim X and the Strix.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome to the club. All 3080 Ti's have this type of behavior, the slider does nothing. They'll float around 400W and sometimes spike at 440-450W, you'll see this more if you set your polling rate in GPU-Z lower in time.

One user here has measured his card using external means with hardware and found that the card pulls more watts than GPU-Z reports.

Why are 3080 Ti's not showing or maxing out around their max TDPs like other cards do? No one knows. But just know the behavior that you are seeing also happens to the EVGA FTW3, Suprim X and the Strix.
Broken drivers.
I have tried to mod older 3080 drivers. No luck. No internal handshake results black screen.
Have anyone tried to flash the 3x8pin on 2x8pin and obtain some Power Limit lift?

Am I wrong or Galax 1000W Bios was removed from Techpowerup repository?

I have successfully tested some 2x8-pin and 3x8-pin vBios using the same V/Mhz core curve.

2x8-pin
KFA2 GeForce 3080 Ti SG 350W/385W
Zotac 3080Ti AMP Holo Black 350W/385W
Palit RTX 3080Ti GamingPro 350W/365W
Gigabyte 3080Ti GAMING OC 370W/370W (argubly the fastest)
Gigabyte 3080TI Xtreme Waterforce WB 370W/370W

All 2x8-pin have limited at 350W despite different Power target and Power limit set. So those values are hard-coded on the PCB itself not in the bios.

3x8-pin
MSI 3080ti Gaming X Trio 350W/380W
MSI 3080Ti Supreme X 400W/440W

Both 3x8-pin cards simulate third 8-pin port with some value. On #1 was 113W on #2 115w on #3 128W. Adding all those values together cards achieves its power target of 350W and 400W much earlier that it was set on the V/Mhz curve. Even 440W did not reach the real 350W limit on the PCB.

Since I have no Galax 1000W I cannot 100% confirm that on this bios PCB will only hit 350W limit but it is most likely true.
Can anyone attach a Galax 1000W bios for tests?

·
Registered
602 Posts
Broken drivers.
I have tried to mod older 3080 drivers. No luck. No internal handshake results black screen.
Have anyone tried to flash the 3x8pin on 2x8pin and obtain some Power Limit lift?

Am I wrong or Galax 1000W Bios was removed from Techpowerup repository?

I have successfully tested some 2x8-pin and 3x8-pin vBios using the same V/Mhz core curve.

2x8-pin
KFA2 GeForce 3080 Ti SG 350W/385W
Zotac 3080Ti AMP Holo Black 350W/385W
Palit RTX 3080Ti GamingPro 350W/365W
Gigabyte 3080Ti GAMING OC 370W/370W (argubly the fastest)
Gigabyte 3080TI Xtreme Waterforce WB 370W/370W

All 2x8-pin have limited at 350W despite different Power target and Power limit set. So those values are hard-coded on the PCB itself not in the bios.

3x8-pin
MSI 3080ti Gaming X Trio 350W/380W
MSI 3080Ti Supreme X 400W/440W

Both 3x8-pin cards simulate third 8-pin port with some value. On #1 was 113W on #2 115w on #3 128W. Adding all those values together cards achieves its power target of 350W and 400W much earlier that it was set on the V/Mhz curve. Even 440W did not reach the real 350W limit on the PCB.

Since I have no Galax 1000W I cannot 100% confirm that on this bios PCB will only hit 350W limit but it is most likely true.
Can anyone attach a Galax 1000W bios for tests?
The 350w limit is not hard coded on the PCB, the card is just hitting the same internal bios limit each time. That just tells you the limit has the same value in all of the bios. Just a guess, but it may be specified by Nvidia.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The 350w limit is not hard coded on the PCB, the card is just hitting the same internal bios limit each time. That just tells you the limit has the same value in all of the bios. Just a guess, but it may be specified by Nvidia.
I have done the tests on GALAX 1000W. The same 350W wall @"520W". #3 8pin had than 172W so 348W of real board power.
But I noticed one thing. PCI-E slot is limited to 65W. This video sxplains why all those bios did not hit the PL.

I read somewhere that Nvidia on the never drivers limited the max power of the PCI-E slot to around 60W. Before that was 75W-85W.
The same problem was on the video. PCI-E slot hits the limit and power balancing circuit brings the clocks and voltage down even if the 8-pin connectors had like 150W in total.
So if the PCI-E slot limit can be the drivers, the drivers can fix it.

By the way, I don't like Galax 1000W bios since it does hold MEM clocks at max. so even on desktop cards consumes around 100W. At least it deos that on my KF2.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I have done the tests on GALAX 1000W. The same 350W wall @"520W". #3 8pin had than 172W so 348W of real board power.
But I noticed one thing. PCI-E slot is limited to 65W. This video sxplains why all those bios did not hit the PL.

I read somewhere that Nvidia on the never drivers limited the max power of the PCI-E slot to around 60W. Before that was 75W-85W.
The same problem was on the video. PCI-E slot hits the limit and power balancing circuit brings the clocks and voltage down even if the 8-pin connectors had like 150W in total.
So if the PCI-E slot limit can be the drivers, the drivers can fix it.

By the way, I don't like Galax 1000W bios since it does hold MEM clocks at max. so even on desktop cards consumes around 100W. At least it like that on my KF2
The PCIE limit is set by the bios. My Zotac 3090 will still hit 75w or more on PCIE with the latest drivers.

You have to set the mem offset to -502 to get the mem to idle down on the desktop. The KP XOC bios is the same way on the 3090.

Edit, and I can hit 80w+ on my 3080ti FTW3 with that same Galax bios.

·
Registered
29 Posts
The PCIE limit is set by the bios. My Zotac 3090 will still hit 75w or more on PCIE with the latest drivers.

You have to set the mem offset to -502 to get the mem to idle down on the desktop. The KP XOC bios is the same way on the 3090.

Edit, and I can hit 80w+ on my 3080ti FTW3 with that same Galax bios.
FTW3 is not a reference PCB. It is possible that for TFW3 80W is the limit. By factory has a 400W Power target so PCB and the power equalization circuit is design at least for 400W and it has 3x8-pin connectors. Can you OC your TFW3 like to 600W? what would be PCI-E power than?
Refenece-like PCB's should limit around 350W total and around 65W for PCI-E. That is on 3080Ti.

Would all of you post a max PCI-E power on your cards? Is this power changes with the bios?
Video is for reference design. Definitely use the PCI-E shunt to limit the whole power.

·
Registered
602 Posts
FTW3 is not a reference PCB. It is possible that for TFW3 80W is the limit. By factory has a 400W Power target so PCB and the power equalization circuit is design at least for 400W and it has 3x8-pin connectors. Can you OC your TFW3 like to 600W? what would be PCI-E power than?
Refenece-like PCB's should limit around 350W total and around 65W for PCI-E. That is on 3080Ti.

Would all of you post a max PCI-E power on your cards? Is this power changes with the bios?
Video is for reference design. Definitely use the PCI-E shunt to limit the whole power.
Like I said the PCIE limit is set by the bios. You can clearly see that if you use ABE (Nvidia bios viewer) to view all the limits. The pcie is probably set to something fairly high on the Galax XOC. As I recall it's set to 96w in the 3090 KP XOC.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Like I said the PCIE limit is set by the bios. You can clearly see that if you use ABE (Nvidia bios viewer) to view all the limits. The pcie is probably set to something fairly high on the Galax XOC. As I recall it's set to 96w in the 3090 KP XOC.
Do you have access to ABE?
Can you check what is the bios Pcie-e power limit for those two bios:

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,398 Posts

·
Gamer and overclocker !
2,398 Posts
401 - 420 of 1194 Posts