·
Registered
190 Posts
  • Rep+
Reactions: Nizzen

·
Registered
85 Posts
I'm really hoping the 3080 reviews will give us a glimpse of how much power draw is allowed through that 12 pin connector. Hopefully it gives us an idea on whether the 3090 fe cards won't be limited.

Anyone know if evga and the like will also have fe cards branded or is it just Nvidia with the fe edition cards?

·
4k Enthusiast
3,832 Posts
I'm really hoping the 3080 reviews will give us a glimpse of how much power draw is allowed through that 12 pin connector. Hopefully it gives us an idea on whether the 3090 fe cards won't be limited.

Anyone know if evga and the like will also have fe cards branded or is it just Nvidia with the fe edition cards?
I don't expect much helpful info on that. The info we need is if nvidia is willing to push the 3090 past 375W and I believe 370W is the OC limit on the 3080.

I do think we'll get some info as to the temps/noise of Nvidia's design, though.

·
Registered
190 Posts

From my understanding FE cards will only be sold by NVIDIA. All other AIO were given the reference design so they can make there cards if they chose to. The reference design is not the same as what NVIDIA is using in the FE cards. The FE is using a customer PCB made by Nvidia.

·
Registered
3,647 Posts
What AIO's you guys planning on getting? My first choice was the Strix but it looks like that is not going to be available on day one. I am now leaning towards the Gaming X Trio. I had a 2080 TI Trio and it was a great card never had any issues with it in the 2+ years of owning it. I keep looking at the FTW3 to see if I see something I like about it but man is that an ugly card. I know EVGA is the best out of the manufactures. I just don't understand why they thought putting a giant RGB dashboard and then added red accents was great looking design. I guess if I am not quick enough and am able to get the Trio the FTW3 will have to do. I don't know why I am caring so much about how it looks since I am putting a water block on it. Guess first impressions mean something...
I was eyeing either the Gigabyte Xtreme or the Asus Strix in that order. I'll take a Founders edition if it is all I can find however. I'm not much a max OC guy though just looking for something aesthetic.

·
Booo
687 Posts

·
Booo
687 Posts
Not really relevant to the 3090.
Not yet anyway, who knows how this could spiral. With COVID, supply chains are a real mess everywhere.

·
Registered
830 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Yet another non-response response from EKWB regarding the question about how they are addressing the chips on both sides of the 3090 PCB issue. I understand in a way they are trying to say they can't say anything until release but they aren't selling anything licensed from NVIDIA and don't see how they are bound to an NDA unless NVIDA made them sign something in return for some specs ahead of time.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Anyone have any bets on which card/cards end up with the highest power limit? I'm thinking I'll probably jump on a FTW3.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Anyone have any bets on which card/cards end up with the highest power limit? I'm thinking I'll probably jump on a FTW3.
So far only ROG Strix and EVGA FTW3/kingpin are listed with over 20 power phases. ROG Strix says on their website that it'll have 400W TGP. FTW3 says it'll have higher power limit than reference/FE, but no one knows how much yet. Personally I'll be going with the FTW3. Kingpin board has 23 power phases. If the information is correct about FTW3 and Kingpin using the same board, that'll mean 23 phases for FTW3 as well, as opposed to ROG Strix and its 22 phases. Generally speaking FTW3 base models are cheaper than ROG Strix as well. And EVGA warranty and step up program are superior to anything Asus offers. That along with access to the EVGA Xbox Game Bar Precision X app. So as long as the TDPs are the same, the EVGA will be the one to get for me. ROG Strix looks better. But I'm going to put the card under water later anyway.

·
Registered
546 Posts
ROG Strix looks better. But I'm going to put the card under water later anyway.
Yeah that's my plan, don't want the power limit being an issue. Hopefully someone comes out with a block for it pretty quickly, but I'll probably just bypass it in my loop for the time being.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
Yeah that's my plan, don't want the power limit being an issue. Hopefully someone comes out with a block for it pretty quickly, but I'll probably just bypass it in my loop for the time being.
Based on the FTW3 and ROG Strix 2080ti series, there were 3rd party blocks made for them. Likely the same thing will happen with the 3090. But yeah...question of when will be important. But I'd rather wait a few months with a 400W+ FTW3 card than be stuck with a 375W FE card that couldn't really do much better even if I did put it under water.

I mean that's a plus for the 3090 FE, actually. It's a really nice air cooler. Like really nice. Especially if your CPU is water cooled already so you don't have to worry about exhaust air from it. And it will do an amazing job within its given 375W power envelope. But for me, I need that extra 10% OC power. As more games turn on additional RTX features, we're going to need it.

·
4k Enthusiast
3,832 Posts
We don't have any info on this yet, and there's no correlation between number of power phases and bios power limit restrictions. All these cards have overbuilt power delivery for air or water.

If I had to bet, you'll need to do a custom xoc bios flash onto a card like the kingpin for absolute maximum power headroom. I am guessing that all the cards by default will be pretty close together.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We don't have any info on this yet, and there's no correlation between number of power phases and bios power limit restrictions. All these cards have overbuilt power delivery for air or water.

If I had to bet, you'll need to do a custom xoc bios flash onto a card like the kingpin for absolute maximum power headroom. I am guessing that all the cards by default will be pretty close together.
I flashed my 2080ti XC Ultra with a BIOS that a had slightly higher power limit but was sweating initially because I was worried I would brick it. Can anyone with more experience comment on how well the FTW3 dual bios works? Is it basically full proof from a risk standpoint in that you can just switch over to the other BIOS to recover the one you may have hosed? By experimenting with different BIOSes do you still run the risk of damaging the card in any way (anything is possible but speaking from a practical standpoint)? Does EVGAs warranty indirectly not get voided when flashing BIOSs since they give you the ability in the first place to switch between them?

·
Invalid Media
2,093 Posts
I would think 3x8 pin cards like the Asus Strx OC and KPE will get to 400 W+ on stock bios, and much higher with their respective XOC custom bios and strong cooling...not that 2x 8 pin couldn't handle much more than 400 W, but it is also a matter of specs for certification for sale. 22 phases vs 23 phases is not an issue, IMO. One thing which could get in the way of cross-flashing 3090 bios (assuming it is still similar to 2080 Ti) are the different display output arrangements vendors have shown.

401 - 420 of 731 Posts