Overclock.net banner

421 - 440 of 731 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
777 Posts
I have a feeling that one will need a bit of luck to score a 3090 FE at launch. Most people will probably end up having to buy the $1600+ AIB variants.

·
Registered
190 Posts
I have a feeling that one will need a bit of luck to score a 3090 FE at launch. Most people will probably end up having to buy the $1600+ AIB variants.
I am not buying an FE its either Strix, Trio, or FTW3 for me. I do not want to spend $1800 on a card. Anyone here have/had a 2080 TI Strix ? I know they were one the most expensive cards is the extra cost justified ?

·
Whatever happens, happens
177 Posts
I was thinking the opposite, you would think NVIDIA themselves would have a "decent" amount of stock, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,332 Posts

·
Registered
830 Posts
This is insane, what features does the Strix have that set it up and above the other AIB's other than a pretty and effective cooler and bios switch?

FTW3 has thermistors on the PCB (iCX3 sensors), dual bios, a similar heat-sink, similar build quality but will likely be priced at nor more than $1700 which works out to around 1600 after the 5% associate code discount.

Genuinely curious as to why Strix is so expensive and sought after compared to FTW3.

·
Village Idiot
2,367 Posts
This is insane, what features does the Strix have that set it up and above the other AIB's other than a pretty and effective cooler and bios switch?

FTW3 has thermistors on the PCB (iCX3 sensors), dual bios, a similar heat-sink, similar build quality but will likely be priced at nor more than $1700 which works out to around 1600 after the 5% associate code discount.

Genuinely curious as to why Strix is so expensive and sought after compared to FTW3.
Do we have official pricing for both? The 2080 Ti STRIX was cheaper than the 2080 Ti FTW3...

Asus also seems to have consistently had the best coolers as well. Personally, I think water cooling is absolutely mandatory for high end GPUs. But if you're going to use the stock air cooler, the STRIX is a no-brainer. Just look at how ridiculously loud the 2080 Ti FTW3 was compared to the STRIX:

If I "had" to use the stock air cooler, I'd pay an extra $100+ for the STRIX just based on noise.

·
Registered
830 Posts
Do we have official pricing for both? The 2080 Ti STRIX was cheaper than the 2080 Ti FTW3...

Asus also seems to have consistently had the best coolers as well. Personally, I think water cooling is absolutely mandatory for high end GPUs. But if you're going to use the stock air cooler, the STRIX is a no-brainer. Just look at how ridiculously loud the 2080 Ti FTW3 was compared to the STRIX:

If I "had" to use the stock air cooler, I'd pay an extra $100+ for the STRIX just based on noise.
I'm putting my 3090 under a full water block, the question is, who will have a block out first, Strix or FTW3?

·
Registered
1 Posts
Has anyone seen anything regarding full coverage waterblock compatability on cards with 3x8 pin power connectors rather than the standard 2x8 pin on AIB cards?

I'm hoping to get a FTW3 with 3x8 pin power connectors and putting on a waterblock for it. Id have went with the Hydrocopper offering but that apparently only has 2x8 pin connectors.

If im throwing a not-insignificant amount of cash at this card I at least want to be able to unload as much power through it as possible. Already prepped radiator setup for this with the Alphacool X45 1080 Nova radiator and a single 360 rad in the loop.

1,057 Posts
We don't have any info on this yet, and there's no correlation between number of power phases and bios power limit restrictions. All these cards have overbuilt power delivery for air or water.

If I had to bet, you'll need to do a custom xoc bios flash onto a card like the kingpin for absolute maximum power headroom. I am guessing that all the cards by default will be pretty close together.
Yea there were some massive overbuilt 3x8pin 2080 Ti models that had only 330W power limit, whopping 10W more than FE :p

Manufacturers probably aren't going to list thier power limits in specs, or only base ones, so only reviews and user reports will tell. And this will basically be the only major factor, assuming you have your own cooling.

·
Village Idiot
2,367 Posts
I'm putting my 3090 under a full water block, the question is, who will have a block out first, Strix or FTW3?
STRIX, but I heard it's overpriced, so I would suggest waiting for the FTW3.

·
Registered
190 Posts
MSI Gaming X Trio listed at $1901 on BH Photo Video. I'll take that ROG Strix at $1799 plz. :p

Thats nuts if that is the final price of the trio. I think B&H have that price as a place holder. I had a 2080 ti trio last gen and it had the lowest price between the strix and FTW. I preordered the 2080 ti trio and got it on day one for 1249.99.I just can’t believe msi would price it that high.

·
Registered
190 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
If anyone want to compare 3080 prices to what 3090 prices could possibly be. Here are the prices for 3080 cards listed on newegg.

3080 Pricing as of now based on Newegg system workaround listed above

Subject to change:
$850 Asus strix
$810 Evga FTW3 ULTRA
$790 Evga FTW3
$770 Evga XC ULTRA
$760 MSI Gaming X Trio
$750 Evga XC Gaming | Asus Tuf OC | Gigabyte Gaming OC
$740 MSI Ventus 3x OC
$730 Evga XC Black | Gigabyte Eagle OC
$720 Zotac Trinity
$700 Asus Tuf | MSI Ventus 3x

·
Robocop is #1 movie ever
2,184 Posts
Founders edition for me. EK waterblock and call it good there.

Question, since HDMI 2.1 is finally on a GPU what cable is recommended? I see a lot of cheap cables with reviews showing that they don't meet spec nor do they deliver the performance. Best price on a 10' cable?

·
4k Enthusiast
3,832 Posts
Looking like exactly what I said about performance for 3080... It's a hair over 30% better than 2080Ti at 4k. 3090 should be around 60% better if it's not horribly power throttled at stock.

Overclocking looks to be a real dud on the 3080 FE and I bet even more so on 3090. Looks like Ampere is going to depend on custom bios flashing even more than Turing did.

·
Registered
830 Posts
STRIX, but I heard it's overpriced, so I would suggest waiting for the FTW3.
Yes if Strix is really going to be $1800 FTW3 will be around $1600 after the 5% associate code is applied at checkout.

The question is, will it take EKWB a year to make a quality block for it?

Bykski has a block planned, but right now the product page is just a place-holder.

Worst case scenario one could go with EVGA's own over-priced HydroCopper block when they release them in October (per Jacob @ EVGA).

FTW3 + $200 HC block is still the same price as Strix without a block and for all we know HC will be out before EKWB releases the Strix WB!

3 year transferable warranty and thermistors on the PCB, I see no upside to going with Asus over EVGA, only downsides.

Strix may be the better option if youre keeping the card on air, but that remains to be seen as both cards have different cooler designs this time around.

·
Premium Member
8,459 Posts
Igor says the new FE board can't be shunt modded due to the way the new chips monitor the voltages. So that puts FE out for me. Will have to try and get a Kingpin/FTW3/Strix/MSI Trio then.

421 - 440 of 731 Posts