Overclock.net banner

5241 - 5260 of 10155 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
My 3090 strix is now under water. Ek block. Without chiller just on ambient it idles on 25 degrees and goes to 45 degrees max on load. Coolant is on steady 25 degrees C as I have a 3360x140 + 1080x12 radiator loop on slow fans at 0.65 gpm. (Can go higher gpm if needed as pumps are on 50%)

I can bench on 2200 mhz steady overclock on port royale and superposition.
Core +200 Mem +250.
Evga 500w bios.

10980 xe massively overclocked in same loop as well with a 1080x120 radiator between cpu and gpu and a 3360x140 between gpu and cpu.

Gaming crash on +200 and only +175 / 2160 mhz works steady.

I can push memory further but have not tried over +750 so far.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I have the strix also. Do you have betters results with the 480w strix bios or the 500w FTW3 bios?

I'm also waiting for Optimus FTW3 block. Wondering if I should go with the FTW3. Does anybody knows if the 500w bios power limitation bug on Taiwanese version FTW3 can be overcome with shunt modding?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Better in fact with 500w bios, when gaming and benching I get power limit at 500 to 510 W constant.

No shunting done here also.

I expected 2100 stable when gaming but got 2160 to 2175 so I am happy.

·
Banned
177 Posts
So i ran some Time Spy Extreme and the card hit 838watts and regularly stayed above 800

Perf cap reason: Power

unbelievable. I use 7mo shunts because I wanted to work around the limits of the fuses. I can obviously replace them with stacked 5mo but meh. I realize TS is high power usage but damn. Got a top 20 graphics score at least

I'm on air too. I feel like once on water it will want to guzzle more power. I dunno what to do I'm kinda "stuck" since its a FTW3 card

·
Banned
177 Posts
I have the strix also. Do you have betters results with the 480w strix bios or the 500w FTW3 bios?

I'm also waiting for Optimus FTW3 block. Wondering if I should go with the FTW3. Does anybody knows if the 500w bios power limitation bug on Taiwanese version FTW3 can be overcome with shunt modding?
I have Taiwanese card shunted it works just fine

·
Registered
20 Posts
Has anyone got coil whine boost after installing EK Vector Strix water block + EK Vector Strix Backplate on RTX 3090 Strix??

Mine got crazy coil whine(very loud and it is worse than stock cooler) after installing both water block and back plate.

So I put 2mm thermal pad on right capacitor and it reduce coil whine but still worse than stock cooler(full load , 0% fan speed to test the coil whine noise)

Is there anyone who is using Strix with water block but not EK ?? If there is anyone what brand and how is your coil whine noise?
I am hoping that Aquacomputer might ship my Strix block this week.
Currently with stock cooler coil whine is acceptable and not very loud. But I was also afraid that it will get more noticeable with water block.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
What kind of fps increase can I expect going from 390W to 500W? Trying to decide if shunting is worth the effort.
Depends on your clocks and what it throttles down to under full load. Run a game at 60% load. Look at your clock speed. Imagine it's 2050MHz. Then change to 100% load. Imagine it drops to 1900MHz. Shunting would allow you to maintain that previous 2050MHz (assuming you're able to keep the card cool). So your gains would be about 8%. But don't underestimate the thermal problem. If you're not under water, you likely won't be able to benefit from a 500W PL because your card likely won't be able to keep cool under that extra load.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Can anyone answer this question? on the reference PCB, where is the SRC resistor located? I think I am still hitting power limit due to SRC. This is PNY 3090 on stock PNY bios.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I am hoping that Aquacomputer might ship my Strix block this week.
Currently with stock cooler coil whine is acceptable and not very loud. But I was also afraid that it will get more noticeable with water block.
I am also waiting for Aqua block as well. But as always Aqua block is best but always took too long. So ATM I am waiting for Aqua and Bitspower.(Both Preordered)

Also Phanteck Block looks good so waiting for that as well.

·
Registered
5 Posts
No mate, didn't find anything.

I'm not 100% confident of flashing an unverified bios.
Well i was in the mood for some testing and flashed this unverified thing. It is 420 watt as advertised, has pretty much the same fan curve compared to gaming X from what i can tell so the fan stop thing would activate without any manual fiddling, unlike the evga 500W bios. Other than that... Nothing to write home about, i suppose. I get about 14k in Port Royal with that one on my non-modded 3090 Gaming X, with the 500W bios i managed a 14400. With Gaming X bios my best was like 13300-13500.

·
Old School Overclocker !
333 Posts
Anyone knows the size of the thermal pads on the Bykski full cover water block for the Asus Strix 3090 ?
120x120x1.5mm or 120x120x2.0mm ? @Nizzen or anyone else who is using this water block on the 3090 strix any help will be greatly appreciate it. I need more thermal pads for my gpu , there was not enough thermal pads on my package of this Bykski water block :( , cheap manufacturer lol.

·
Registered
618 Posts
So i ran some Time Spy Extreme and the card hit 838watts and regularly stayed above 800

unbelievable. I use 7mo shunts because I wanted to work around the limits of the fuses. I can obviously replace them with stacked 5mo but meh. I realize TS is high power usage but damn. Got a top 20 graphics score at least

I'm on air too. I feel like once on water it will want to guzzle more power. I dunno what to do I'm kinda "stuck" since its a FTW3 card
your playing with fire if you ask me, Gonna end up with a dead card that way.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
Ordered some 18awg high-strand wire so I can solder directly to the front of the shunt on the PCIe slot. As far as I can tell all the ground planes are shorted together so I only need to run 1 wire to effectively triple the slot power capacity and not have to worry about melting the slot.

Has anyone yet figured out what the minimum resistance needed is to not send the card in safe mode?

·
Facepalm
9,154 Posts

Is time spy extreme run at 4k ?

·
Registered
242 Posts
Anyone knows the size of the thermal pads on the Bykski full cover water block for the Asus Strix 3090 ?
120x120x1.5mm or 120x120x2.0mm ? @Nizzen or anyone else who is using this water block on the 3090 strix any help will be greatly appreciate it. I need more thermal pads for my gpu , there was not enough thermal pads on my package of this Bykski water block :( , cheap manufacturer lol.
Mine had more than enough as long as I cut the strips to just cover each memory die, not lay a whole strip across the row wasting a bunch. Looking at a leftover piece I THINK it's 1.5mm but I don't have calipers to verify.

·
Registered
643 Posts
Some user of evga rtx-3090 ftw3 ultra are not happy and said the card underperform, can you tell me if this score is ok for my ftw3 ultra or is bad on superposition 8k benchmark ?

·
Registered
260 Posts

838w?!
is that a kila wat read out? i.e total system draw?
838w to the gpu alone is nuts =P

5241 - 5260 of 10155 Posts