Overclock.net banner
521 - 540 of 21,443 Posts
Owner here:

This puppy needs block and shunt, really!!!
3090? Your result is hidden.

Yes it's apparent that GA102 needs lower temps and more power to get more than a 5% overclock out of it.

Undervolting while under water may be the best route in lieu of a shunt.

Still waiting to see what kind of power the FTW3 3080 is limited to, MSI's Trio is limited to 350w and that's not even "reference"!

So... new plan... cross fingers and just try and grab any possible 3090 card on launch day and then replace it with the model I actually want later on after the supply chain resolves itself.
Why do you NEED to get one right now?

Getting whatever random one only to get another later on doesn't sound like a prudent plan. Why not simply wait? This will resolve itself in November when RDNA2 releases and there is a 24GB card that sits in between the 3080 and 3090 for $1000.

Watch NV release that 20GB GA102 real fast in response.

3090? Your result is hidden.

Yes it's apparent that GA102 needs lower temps and more power to get more than a 5% overclock out of it.

Undervolting while under water may be the best route in lieu of a shunt.

Still waiting to see what kind of power the FTW3 3080 is limited to, MSI's Trio is limited to 350w and that's not even "reference"!

Big Voltaire at the moment!!! xDDDD

This is really weird. Not the fact that they move to in-game implementations, but this article seems to imply that current SLI supported games won't work on 3090 even though it has NVLink bridge. That's just insane. So many games that could be pushed to insane levels of performance with 3090 SLI... What a tremendous waste.

This combined with the fact that so far no models are able to get any overclock even out of 3080 really breaks a lot of hype for me. Looking at this and at sheer amount of SLI supported games I have scheduled, getting second 2080 Ti on the cheap for next year or so is an option now.

People who are saying that they can match 3080 with an overclocked 2080 Ti are not very good at maths, but if 3090 is 1.5x faster stock vs stock but doesn't overclock then the real difference shrinks to below 1.4x.
Yea. I was really set for two 3090s but of course I assumed they will work in existing SLI titles. What a sad day, SLI dead, custom 3080 models failing super hard, clearly indicating that you won't be able to get good 3090 models anywhere close to launch, if at all assuming that you will need 500W+ PL. Some serious first world problems here :confused:
As an owner of 2x 2080 Ti and quite a few other multi GPU setups (work and play), I was at least pleased about this: "Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs" in the article.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that all mGPU is dead/declining fast, just traditional SLI such as AFR (there are several different methods to do SLI). On the contrary, I expect mGPUs, tiles and so forth -.and with it CFR - to gain in importance, with traditional SLI (AFR etc) declining further ...per article "For GeForce RTX 3090 and future SLI-capable GPUs, SLI will only be supported when implemented natively within the game.". Even then though, knowing a bit about the underlying game engine will help re. NV Inspector profiles that may be substituted. The 3090 / Ampere gen is likely a transitional GPU gen, given what has leaked out about mGPU and Hopper, Intel Xe and even post-RDNA2. Traditional SLI (AFR etc) does have several problems such as micro-stutter and asynchronous loads that for example mGPU CFR does not which is why the focus will shift away from traditional SLI and towards CFR,, BTW, I already run on quite a few apps on my 2x 2080 Tis system in CFR - doesn't work everywhere, though it does on my fav apps, fortunately

All that said, this news does impact the purchase decision re. 'one' vs 'two' 3090s (or even Ampere Titan) when the time comes

As an owner of 2x 2080 Ti and quite a few other multi GPU setups (work and play), I was at least pleased about this: "Existing SLI driver profiles will continue to be tested and maintained for SLI-ready RTX 20 Series and earlier GPUs" in the article.

Also, I wouldn't necessarily jump to conclusions that all mGPU is dead/declining fast, just traditional SLI such as AFR (there are several different methods to do SLI). On the contrary, I expect mGPUs, tiles and so forth -.and with it CFR - to gain in importance, with traditional SLI (AFR etc) declining further ...per article "For GeForce RTX 3090 and future SLI-capable GPUs, SLI will only be supported when implemented natively within the game.". Even then though, knowing a bit about the underlying game engine will help re. NV Inspector profiles that may be substituted. The 3090 / Ampere gen is likely a transitional GPU gen, given what has leaked out about mGPU and Hopper, Intel Xe and even post-RDNA2. Traditional SLI (AFR etc) does have several problems such as micro-stutter and asynchronous loads that for example mGPU CFR does not which is why the focus will shift away from traditional SLI and towards CFR,, BTW, I already run on quite a few apps on my 2x 2080 Tis system in CFR - doesn't work everywhere, though it does on my fav apps, fortunately

All that said, this news does impact the purchase decision re. 'one' vs 'two' 3090s (or even Ampere Titan) when the time comes
I agree, but the fact that traditional SLI is completely dropped from new cards without any backwards compatibility is really sad, there are so many great games that could be so pushed now. Ehh... I will probably get second 2080 Ti and extend the life of my X99 platform for a bit more, and then build whole new system in something like March once Alder Lake (or however it is called) and high PL 3090 models arrive. I've been following 2080 Ti SLI closely since this was my potential way to go if Ampere was not good, so I am aware of CFR. I've been using 1080 SLI before and had great time with it.

I have a lot of SLI supported games scheduled and in such games 2080 Ti SLI will be way faster than 3090, and I will leave single card games like Control for 3090 to play later in Q2 2021. Everything about 3090 should be resolved by that time. I just hope LG 38WN95C gets out of vaporware stage soon :p

The MSI 3080 Gaming X trio is a joke. It has 15 power phases compared to FE which has 18 and its max power limit is 350 watts. What is the point of having three 8 pins power connectors. Looks like its either a 3090 Strix or FTW3 for me as the 3090 trio will also be a joke.
15 (or was it 16?) power phases for the GPU. 3 for the memory/controller. Same with how the 2080ti was structured. Some listed the total phases. Some broke them down into what phases for what components.

Anyone know if there would be more overclocking headroom by removing the fans off the GPU and powering them separately? I assume their power consumption deducts from the total card power available? Not sure how much power these fans take but some of my case fans are over 10W each. Would be nice to see the results with fans running at 100% with some extra wattage available to get an idea of how well the cards would react under water.

Anyone know if there would be more overclocking headroom by removing the fans off the GPU and powering them separately? I assume their power consumption deducts from the total card power available? Not sure how much power these fans take but some of my case fans are over 10W each. Would be nice to see the results with fans running at 100% with some extra wattage available to get an idea of how well the cards would react under water.
Given that a jump from 320 to 370W seems to yield next to nothing as far as overclocking performance, I highly doubt a few watts for the fans makes any difference.

Given that a jump from 320 to 370W seems to yield next to nothing as far as overclocking performance, I highly doubt a few watts for the fans makes any difference.
Gamer Nexus had the FE up to with +900MHz on memory, and GPU clock at 2085MHz with the fans at 100% speed. GPU was at 60C at these clocks. It wasn't stable for long term use, but shows that you can get decent clocks with enough cooling. Perhaps with a tad more wattage available, these clocks could have been stable.

MSI haven't been in a very good shape since after 1000 series. 2080 Ti Trio was absolutely massive and with 3x8pin as well just to have 10W higher power limit than FE. A lot of flashy design and no real functionality. Too bad, though that is true for most of them at this point. This time especially, they are almost all coming out with cards with lower PL than FE, one Zotac card has a freakin 336W max limit. There were regular 2080 models with almost that amount :p
The MSI Duke OC 2080 Ti (my card) with the 380w Galax BIOS is a beast, even on air. The Trio was actually slower in benchmarks. I would not write off MSI for the 3090 Trio quite yet. Let's wait for reviews.

Gamer Nexus had the FE up to with +900MHz on memory, and GPU clock at 2085MHz with the fans at 100% speed. GPU was at 60C at these clocks. It wasn't stable for long term use, but shows that you can get decent clocks with enough cooling. Perhaps with a tad more wattage available, these clocks could have been stable.

View attachment 2459216
That's interesting, though we probably need more tests on more cards, including of course the 3090s...still, 8 C difference resulted in an extra 30 MHz if I read that table correctly, so NVBoost algo re. temps seems even more aggressive.

Still early days, but I am wondering about the low number of announcements / teasers re. factory water-cooled cards. Then again, there are custom bundles for the 3090 (note "all parts in stock"; prices include taxes):

Any idea what this EK version from Asus could be at the top? Is this EKWB so a waterblock like the MSI Sea Hawk EK!? But just 2x8 pins, would have expected 3 pins for a watercooled card, still I don't know what else it could be.

Big Voltaire asking for shunt mod:

Big Voltaire asking for shunt mod:

Someone had stated that the FE cards can't be shunted because the boards are designed to check how much power is actually coming in and gate it.

I noticed that card was pulling up to 396W. Do we have any idea if it's an FE or AIB? I'm getting the impression that Ampere can clock very well if you had unlocked power limits and could keep the card cool. I built my rig/cooling setup to previously power 3x Titan cards so would have no problem with a single card pulling 500W+ if it were an option.

It is a Big Voltaire Gigabyte Gaming OC...

Length is 32cms and heatsink is working quite nicely. I saw der8auer youtube video in which he shunts the two resistors near the power plugs and seems to do the trick.

Bad thing with this Gigabyte is the power cables mess, which doesn't allow to use the waterblocks made for reference boards unless u mod the waterblock (cutting some things here and there).

MSI haven't been in a very good shape since after 1000 series. 2080 Ti Trio was absolutely massive and with 3x8pin as well just to have 10W higher power limit than FE. A lot of flashy design and no real functionality. Too bad, though that is true for most of them at this point. This time especially, they are almost all coming out with cards with lower PL than FE, one Zotac card has a freakin 336W max limit. There were regular 2080 models with almost that amount :p
The 2080ti Lightning Z was OK except the bug at launch that you couldnt unplug the stock cooler fan lol

AFAIK, the fans and lights do not come off the card's TDP rating. The TDP rating is based on the core and a bios-set limitation.
Someone had stated that the FE cards can't be shunted because the boards are designed to check how much power is actually coming in and gate it.

I noticed that card was pulling up to 396W. Do we have any idea if it's an FE or AIB? I'm getting the impression that Ampere can clock very well if you had unlocked power limits and could keep the card cool. I built my rig/cooling setup to previously power 3x Titan cards so would have no problem with a single card pulling 500W+ if it were an option.
The shunt mods done on previous gen cards were done specifically to overcome this power-induced clock bin drop. If you know which resistors to mod, on an Ampere, it works the same. (eg, lowers the signal vBIOS compares against). If we get a bios editor, no hardware mod is needed. ;)

Big Voltaire=3090 in my words... Not launched yet, that's why I use that expression.

xDDD

AFAIK, the fans and lights do not come off the card's TDP rating. The TDP rating is based on the core and a bios-set limitation.

The shunt mods done on previous gen cards were done specifically to overcome this power-induced clock bin drop. If you know which resistors to mod, on an Ampere, it works the same. (eg, lowers the signal vBIOS compares against). If we get a bios editor, no hardware mod is needed. ;)

The 3090 is very strangled in terms of power, doesn't make sense...

It seems that many of us here will (eventually) be buying a ~$1,700-$2K 3090. I live in Wilmington Delaware where there is no sales tax. If you are local to the PA / MD / NJ area and wanted to ship to my place to save the tax and meet to pick it up I wouldn’t mind helping someone out…

521 - 540 of 21,443 Posts