Overclock.net banner
6141 - 6160 of 16897 Posts

·
everywhere and nowhere
332 Posts
Where to get the 520w kingpin bios? Link? Also, anyone with strix 3090 with this 520w kingpin bios - any weird issues, fans out of sync, not working DP ports etc? Safe flash to the strix? :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Could anyone tell me which of the 3 8 pins on the 3090 is #3

I have managed to reshunt all the 7 resistors and am now seeing a 30W on PCIE, 90W on 8 pin 1 & 2, but 150W on 8 pin 3. So need to reshunt that one. Problem is im not sure which side GPU-Z considers the #3 8pin

Any ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Might have a shot at MSRP Strix...need to be talked out of needing it. Just bad timing when I haven't been able to see yet what my full-hack TUF can do. On paper I suspect the TUF can handle 800W without issue, but I don't know how much power 1.20-1.25V on the core is going to really consume. Sure the Strix has a VRM that can pop a breaker but does it even matter?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Where to get the 520w kingpin bios? Link? Also, anyone with strix 3090 with this 520w kingpin bios - any weird issues, fans out of sync, not working DP ports etc? Safe flash to the strix? :)
techpowerup, im might try it on my stock strix tonight, ill tell you

·
Registered
191 Posts
does the strix really have a dual bios or is it the same bios with a fan profile swtich ? i want to flash the kingpin on the silent bios and keep the power mode original to go back and forth

·
Registered
32 Posts
Anyone with the ASUS TUF 3080/3090 have really bad coil whine under an EK waterblock? Never heard anything like it in my life, it's terrible under load. The coil whine is easily as loud as the stock fans going full tilt so it's more or less made the rest of my silent custom loop pointless.

Also, I need to re assemble the stock cooler and test again. Does anyone know the thermal pad sizes I should use to re assemble the stock cooler? Some of it seemed like 2mm thick but it honestly fell apart when removing it from the stock cooler and I never expected to have to re assemble it again so soon.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Anyone with the ASUS TUF 3080/3090 have really bad coil whine under an EK waterblock? Never heard anything like it in my life, it's terrible under load. The coil whine is easily as loud as the stock fans going full tilt so it's more or less made the rest of my silent custom loop pointless.

Also, I need to re assemble the stock cooler and test again. Does anyone know the thermal pad sizes I should use to re assemble the stock cooler? Some of it seemed like 2mm thick but it honestly fell apart when removing it from the stock cooler and I never expected to have to re assemble it again so soon.
2.5mm and 1.5mm

·
Registered
32 Posts
2.5mm and 1.5mm
Thanks for the reply.

Don't suppose you know which pads go where? I can use the teardown from GN but it's not clear what size is where apart from the one time I think he mentions the size of the pads he just took off. As it's going back to the supplier I really want it to be right so there can't be any "you used the wrong pads and that's why its doing this"

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

Do you have EK backplate fitted if yes then try loose screws around core until you won't hear any kind of coilwhine, EK backplates seems amplify coilwhine which is strange but seems is down to how thin is this backplate

On Bykski waterblocks and their backplate you won't hear coilwhine at all there

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
432 Posts
Do you have EK backplate fitted if yes then try loose screws around core until you won't hear any kind of coilwhine, EK backplates seems amplify coilwhine which is strange but seems is down to how thin is this backplate
Only remove the two screws next to the socket of the EK backplate. ;-)

·
Registered
31 Posts
Got the EK wb on my Strix and got the horrible coil whine too.
Remove the two screws and the sound is partially remove but it's more audible than before putting the waterblock.
Somebody tests without the thermal pads for the back vrm and it seems that's the whine was gone. Somebody else said that the Byski block doesn't have this problem but when i look at the aliexpress page for this block i can see that there is no thermal interface with the back vrm and contact as to be made by thermal grease like aquacomputer. I hate this method as it's very difficult to clean and have good evenly contact with the memory.
So can someone who got the Byski block can confirm that and is the contact with the EK backplate and the back vrm is needed?
Performance aregood but the sound is...

·
everywhere and nowhere
332 Posts
Remove the two screws and the sound is partially remove but it's more audible than before putting the waterblock.
Somebody tests without the thermal pads for the back vrm and it seems that's the whine was gone. Somebody else said that the Byski block doesn't have this problem but when i look at the aliexpress page for this block i can see that there is no thermal interface with the back vrm and contact as to be made by thermal grease like aquacomputer. I hate this method as it's very difficult to clean and have good evenly contact with the memory.
So can someone who got the Byski block can confirm that and is the contact with the EK backplate and the back vrm is needed?
Wait what, bykski block doesn't have any thermal pads on the backplate? You're supposed to make a mess with the thermal paste there? wouldn't slim ie. 0.5-1.0mm pads work there?

·
Registered
3,228 Posts
Wait what, bykski block doesn't have any thermal pads on the backplate? You're supposed to make a mess with the thermal paste there? wouldn't slim ie. 0.5-1.0mm pads work there?
bykski says only on Vram on strix backplate block.

Alphacool is very good, because it doesn't interfer with the stacked shunts :D

·
Banned
177 Posts
Just took a lot at port royal top 30 for single cards. Besides GQnerd and myself, everyone else has load temps below 40C, so my card is not doing too bad, considering my load temp is at 43C. I wonder how high I could score if I took this bad boy to the garage and ran some benchmarks, lol.
average in the 50s :(
cant do anything else to control temps as im on air. but benchmark sits comfortably in the 60s near second half of bench

·
Registered
2,472 Posts

I'm sure with Bykski backplate you are using thermal pads on VRM and VRAM chips and thermal paste or TIM you should use only on core and that's it

Aquacomputer its literally easiest waterblock to use and spreading TIM lr thermal paste on the VRAM chips takes few minutes or rather 1 or 2 minutes and its not messy job, I would say its much easier than using EK thin thermal pads which are one of most sh1tiest pads ever which will break or tear

Aquacomputer and Bykski I think both use same thermal pads Thermalright or something very similar

I'm thinking go with Bykski as well for Strix because getting Aquacomputer Kryographics block will be impossible for me, last time I waited I think 6 months

Hope this helps

Thanks, Jura

·
Registered
27 Posts

I have 3090 TUF. It did have a terrible coil whine after EK waterblock. I applied more thermal pads to backplate and it is much better now. I have thermal pads everywhere now, like this region

:rolleyes:

Attachments

·
Registered
30 Posts
If I got that right I can flash the 500W Evga Bios onto my Trio?
When doing so, is there any downside? I'd like to nose it for Dailys use and benches...

6141 - 6160 of 16897 Posts