Overclock.net banner
15801 - 15820 of 16550 Posts

·
Registered
2,790 Posts

·
Registered
494 Posts
well, i gambled my luck today... I cancelled my order with EKWB for my FTW3 FCWB with Active Backplate as it was atleast another 2-3weeks out, and placed my order with Bykski as theiers was released today for this GPU..... Ive never owned a Bykski product so im hoping their quality is atleast like EKWB's and im hoping i dont have to play any games with thermal pad thickness. Im hoping what it ships with will provide optimal results. Id ask if anyone has 1st hand experience with this setup yet, but it was only just released today for the FTW3 cards. Should I order 1 - 1.5mm pads just incase? and what is your opinion on Bykski products?
Here is what I ordered Bykski Full Coverage GPU Water Block w/ Integrated Active Backplate for EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra Gaming (N-EV3090FTW3-TC)
There're a few here with great delta with bykski, so should work fine for you. Prob better quality than EK.

My 1080ti ftw3 ek block was fine vs the
rushed jobs they are doing on these 3090 blocks.

·
Registered
2,351 Posts
There're a few here with great delta with bykski, so should work fine for you. Prob better quality than EK.

My 1080ti ftw3 ek block was fine vs the
rushed jobs they are doing on these 3090 blocks.
man i hope so... I just worried ill be playing the thermal pad guessing game. By looking at there instructions online, there arent even applying thermal pads to the rear core area to cool the caps there and I would very much like to apply a fat square pad there but dont know what thickness to use.... Just want to set this up the correct way the first time...

·
Premium Member
-12C DewPoint | 11900K | 2x KP HC | 2x OC Lab | 2x STRIX | Ventus OC | Hero XIII | 5100hz | XPG S70
61 Posts
I did what I aimed to do, still at 10C instead of -15C.

Fastest non ln2 Port Royal

Edit:link is new score, was surprisingly able to squeeze another 150 points in

i managed to get a copy from a member of evga forums havet played with it yet.
Boom. Let me know if you still need it or it doesn’t work for some reason. 🤘🏻

·
Invalid Media
4,396 Posts
man i hope so... I just worried ill be playing the thermal pad guessing game. By looking at there instructions online, there arent even applying thermal pads to the rear core area to cool the caps there and I would very much like to apply a fat square pad there but dont know what thickness to use.... Just want to set this up the correct way the first time...
...I'm finally about to take my EK block off my 3090 Strix and mount a new Phanteks one...not to mention mount a Bykski block on my 6900 XT...never mind various custom or stock back plates...following the advice by others as well as my own experience, I loaded up on:

a.) various thickness sku of Thermalright 12.8 W/mK thermal pads
b.) some jars of 10.0 W/mK thermal putty recommended by another user in this thread. This is primarily for VRAM or back plates etc where I'm not sure about the exact pad thickness (if any) as putty 'adapts' to the available space
c.) various thermal grease (Kryonaut, Gelod GC-Extr., Noctua etc...)

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Hello everyone.

Is the card still power limited at 480W? Is it safe to use the EVGA Kingpin BIOS with a ROG Strix cooler to get a higher power limit?

If yes, what is the maximum voltage I should add to the Core Voltage slider on Afterburner?

Basically looking to get the highest stable overclock I can get on the stock cooler of the ROG Strix version. Would the Kingpin BIOS be a good starting point, or should I try a different BIOS?

Thank you.

EDIT:

Okay so I flashed the BIOS but now the max resolution being shown is 1920x1080 and the display connector is being shown as DVI-PC when it should be HDMI.

How do I fix this? Thank you.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Hello everyone.

Is the card still power limited at 480W? Is it safe to use the EVGA Kingpin BIOS with a ROG Strix cooler to get a higher power limit?

If yes, what is the maximum voltage I should add to the Core Voltage slider on Afterburner?

Basically looking to get the highest stable overclock I can get on the stock cooler of the ROG Strix version. Would the Kingpin BIOS be a good starting point, or should I try a different BIOS?

Thank you.

EDIT:

Okay so I flashed the BIOS but now the max resolution being shown is 1920x1080 and the display connector is being shown as DVI-PC when it should be HDMI.

How do I fix this? Thank you.
Kingpin only has 1 HDMI port vs 2x HDMI ports on the Strix, so try the other HDMI port to see if that resolves your resolution issue.

As for running the KP bios on the stock cooler, I personally wouldn’t as you’d struggle to control the extra heat being generated.. Also, assuming you’re talking about the 1000w KP bios, your vram would always be running at max clocks, generating further heat even when not under load...But do you, just hope you can tolerate those Strix fans at 100% 24/7

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Kingpin only has 1 HDMI port vs 2x HDMI ports on the Strix, so try the other HDMI port to see if that resolves your resolution issue.

As for running the KP bios on the stock cooler, I personally wouldn’t as you’d struggle to control the extra heat being generated.. Also, assuming you’re talking about the 1000w KP bios, your vram would always be running at max clocks, generating further heat even when not under load...But do you, just hope you can tolerate those Strix fans at 100% 24/7
I don’t necessarily want to use the Kingpin bios. It’s the only one I found on TPU’s website that has a higher power limit than 480w.

I dislike heat or noise in my system as much as the next person. So please suggest a different, more suitable bios for my card that can give me a higher power limit. Because I feel that I’m still not utilising the thermal and voltage limits that my card can withstand.

Is it at all possible for someone to simply edit the base Strix bios with a higher power limit? I remember it being possible in the days of the original Titan. Not sure if that practice is still in vogue. But that could really help as a starting point.

Thank you.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts

This is a good one for Strix @ahnafakeef
Thank you.

But that is still only 500w, if I’m not wrong. I’m already pulling 480w with the stock bios. Is there anything that has a higher power limit in order to ensure that I’m definitely not hitting a wall in terms of power limit?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Thank you.

But that is still only 500w, if I’m not wrong. I’m already pulling 480w with the stock bios. Is there anything that has a higher power limit in order to ensure that I’m definitely not hitting a wall in terms of power limit?
There is a 520w KP bios out there. That’s about as high as you’ll find, aside from the 1000w. If you end up putting a water block on your card, I’d use the 1000w. I was using it as a daily when I had my Strix

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
There is a 520w KP bios out there. That’s about as high as you’ll find, aside from the 1000w. If you end up putting a water block on your card, I’d use the 1000w. I was using it as a daily when I had my Strix
Am I correct in assuming that if 480w is limiting, then 520w will be almost just as limiting and won’t let me max out the voltage sliders (so that I can attain a higher core clock)?

Is it even possible to keep the card within its thermal limits with the voltage slider maxed out, assuming there is a way to overcome the power limit issue?

After having tried 123% power limit and +150 on the core with no voltage increase, I feel 2100 on the core clock is a fairly realistic expectation. What kind of clocks were you hitting on your Strix with the stock cooler?

Thank you.

·
Registered
667 Posts
checking in, still no 1kw rebar bios yet right?

·
Registered
48 Posts
the voltage will max out on my Strix at 1.1 regardless of the FTW or Kingpin BIOS, using the kingpin I can hit 2100 and +1200 mem all day for benchmarks (under water) but my litmus test for game stability is CP2077 and there my max stable is kingpin BIOS @2040, +1200 mem.

Am I correct in assuming that if 480w is limiting, then 520w will be almost just as limiting and won’t let me max out the voltage sliders (so that I can attain a higher core clock)?

Is it even possible to keep the card within its thermal limits with the voltage slider maxed out, assuming there is a way to overcome the power limit issue?

After having tried 123% power limit and +150 on the core with no voltage increase, I feel 2100 on the core clock is a fairly realistic expectation. What kind of clocks were you hitting on your Strix with the stock cooler?

Thank you.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I used the 1kw KP bios available and then was able to update it via EVGA X1 to rebar. Though maybe I’m missing something?

·
Registered
214 Posts
I used the 1kw KP bios available and then was able to update it via EVGA X1 to rebar. Though maybe I’m missing something?
Rip it out and post it for people to use with gpuz ;)
but i think from past reports that, although you think its the 1kw bios that was updated to rebar i think you will find your 1kw bios was replaced with a 520w rebar bios instead.. :)

·
Premium Member
6,260 Posts
Deleted.

15801 - 15820 of 16550 Posts